Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

jameshayes wrote: »
    How long before one of these protesters has their house burgled and then gives out because there is no garda presence/response!!!

There was a story in The Journal this morning about a Garda and two civilians injured by a hijacked car. One of the first commenters questioned whether it would have happened if there weren't Gardaí at protests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

geeksauce wrote: »
    I would say the majority of the protesters I have seen are the ones most likely to burgle your house so they should be ok

ahhh so you're a snob! that explains a lot.

ill tell my ma and da, who've both worked all their lives and never refused a tax that was put upon them, that they're probably now on a par with burglars because they've finally said enough is enough and want to protest.

they're both well into their 60s so im guessing crawling thru other people's windows is going to be tough for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

ahhh so you're a snob! that explains a lot.

ill tell my ma and da, who've both worked all their lives and never refused a tax that was put upon them, that they're probably now on a par with burglars because they've finally said enough is enough and want to protest.

they're both well into their 60s so im guessing crawling thru other people's windows is going to be tough for them.

1. How do you know what protests I have seen?
    2. Do you know what a majority means?

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Wow.
    How on earth does anyone get so far up themselves to make a statement like that?

Dealing with stupid people all day will do that for you.

1. How do you know what protests I have seen?

no you're right. i dont know what protests you've seen but im guessing there was a lot of guys in stripey long sleeve tshirts, zorro masks and bags slung over their shoulder marked 'swag'
    2. Do you know what a majority means?

i do. in this situation it has become a word you've tried to use to allow you to stereotype with impunity.

• Advertisement

no you're right. i dont know what protests you've seen but im guessing there was a lot of guys in stripey long sleeve tshirts, zorro masks and bags slung over their shoulder marked 'swag'

i do. in this situation it has become a word you've tried to use to allow you to stereotype with impunity.

Right so you understand then that when I said 'I would say the majority of the protesters I have seen are the ones most likely to burgle your house so they should be ok' you realise that the chances I am talking about your parents are pretty much zero.

So probably no need for the amateur dramatics in your reply then

Right so you understand then that when I said 'I would say the majority of the protesters I have seen are the ones most likely to burgle your house so they should be ok' you realise that the chances I am talking about your parents are pretty much zero.

So probably no need for the amateur dramatics in your reply then

clearly you werent talking about my parents, but how many other parents/brothers/sisters/friends are out protesting? eventually someone is going to be in your majority... since thats how a majority works.

burglars in general are in the minority in this society and since the IW protests (and protest videos) show quite a cross section of our population, that would suggest you are completely wrong in your supposition (or confused as to what a burglar 'looks' like).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

zerks wrote: »
    All I heard was the stock response to every question,it's as if she was reading them from an IW promo leaflet.The subject of PPS numbers got her into a complete fluster.
    ffs, you're just giving out because you didn't like the answers she gave, not because the answers were incorrect.

clearly you werent talking about my parents, but how many other parents/brothers/sisters/friends are out protesting? eventually someone is going to be in your majority... since thats how a majority works.

burglars in general are in the minority in this society and since the IW protests (and protest videos) show quite a cross section of our population, that would suggest you are completely wrong in your supposition (or confused as to what a burglar 'looks' like).

No I think you are confused as to what a burglar looks like, I mean you did say

guys in stripey long sleeve tshirts, zorro masks and bags slung over their shoulder marked 'swag'

And no I am not completely wrong in my supposition as again you have no idea what protests I have or haven't seen and therefore have no idea as to what the people in these protests looked like. So your dramatics and sensationalist posting just doesn't wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Phoebas wrote: »
    ffs, you're just giving out because you didn't like the answers she gave, not because the answers were incorrect.

Of course I didn't like them,according to the texts and tweets to the show,neither did 99.9% of the population.

• Advertisement

No I think you are confused as to what a burglar looks like, I mean you did say

guys in stripey long sleeve tshirts, zorro masks and bags slung over their shoulder marked 'swag'

And no I am not completely wrong in my supposition as again you have no idea what protests I have or haven't seen and therefore have no idea as to what the people in these protests looked like. So your dramatics and sensationalist posting just doesn't wash.

dramatics and sensationalist? :rolleyes:

explain to us all what a burglar looks like.

dramatics and sensationalist? :rolleyes:

explain to us all what a burglar looks like.

If you want to know what a burglar looks like you should google it, maybe have a look at local papers and the court sections in particular they will have photo's of people that have been in court on burglary charges. you could also go to your local court when it is in session and you should see one or two there too. I can guarantee you that they wont be

If you want to know what a burglar looks like you should google it, maybe have a look at local papers and the court sections in particular they will have photo's of people that have been in court on burglary charges. you could also go to your local court when it is in session and you should see one or two there too. I can guarantee you that they wont be

of course they wont. they look like everyone else.

do you not see what im getting? you claimed that a lot of people at these protests look like burglars, but yet burglars look like everyday people dont they?

so either you're showing snobbery to the working classes or im completely lost on what your point about burglars was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

so either you're showing snobbery

I think geeksauce has disappeared into that hole they where digging. :D

I can understand somebody spontaneously revealing their inherent bias while speaking, but to do it while typing is just pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

You may not have voted them in however as a citizen you are being asked to pay for the mistakes of others like it or not.

Is this a wind up? We are being asked are we? We are not being milked for money through extra taxation enforced by revenue and forced to accept water meters with the intent on being forced to pay for water while still being milked for it through revenue, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I think geeksauce has disappeared into that hole they where digging. :D

I can understand somebody spontaneously revealing their inherent bias while speaking, but to do it while typing is just pathetic.

You'll notice he always flees the scene at 5pm. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Just some constructive feedback...

I object to the way this whole farce has been handled, the bully-boy tactics, the piss-poor communication, and the fact that they clearly haven't thought most of this out.

BUT... the way you're posting here would hardly inspire me (as average joe law-abiding citizen) to get involved.

Tone down the rhetoric a little and you might make more of an impact on people.

So this piss-poor communication thing? I hope you're not just forming this opinion from the buzz phrases which have been doing the rounds? Could you communicate what you mean. The booklet I got in the post told me as much as I wanted to know about the application process, in both official languages. Of course I actually read it rather than throwing it in the bin. The booklet I got through the door told me as much as I wanted to know about the meter installation. Did you get that one yet? The IW website has a list of all the charges now, they couldn't publish them until they were decided by the regulator very recently. They have phone numbers and an e mail address. The regulators site is also informative.

Accusing a company of having communicated poorly by not appearing on random radio programmes (someone else did this today) is a nonsense. Only a small minority will hear any given programme. People have a responsibility to inform themeselves if they have an interest in a subject.

I will try to help you with any questions which you feel are left unanswered. But I think the information is out there if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Looks like Sinn Fein want to do what some people think FG/LAb have already done - + Privatise Irish Water (bit sof it anyway)
    In their document about Irish Water they say funding should not be from domestic charges but from other things including "equity funding". That means selling shares in it - doesn't it?

http://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2014/WaterServicesDoc_2014.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

@ Dxhound.

Fine Gaels Fergus O’Dowd, himself reckons they are poor communicators.
    A FORMER minister who helped establish Irish Water has criticised the company’s approach to introducing water charges, describing it as “an unmitigated disaster”.

Ex-junior environment minister Fergus O’Dowd, who developed the legislation which set up the utility, said it had “abjectly failed” in selling its message to consumers.

In an unprecedented attack from a Government TD, Mr O’Dowd said: “Irish Water has come across as arrogant and uncaring, demanding money and demanding PPS numbers without properly explaining why all of this is necessary.”

He also spoke of his fears that it was becoming “another cosseted quango with a bonus culture” and his belief that disadvantaged groups are faced with having to pay more for water than they should.

The criticism couldn’t have come at a worse time for the Government as it faces into two by-elections on Friday.

Water charges are proving to be a key election issue in Dublin South West, while water quality is a huge cause of concern in the Roscommon-South Leitrim constituency, where 21,000 people are living with boil water notices.

Mr O'Dowd said the new company had been its own worst enemy and would not be facing as much resistance if it had adopted a better communications strategy
    : http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/minister-who-set-up-irish-water-now-brands-it-a-disaster-30644275.html#sthash.RzhggxG5.dpuf
    - See more at: http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/minister-who-set-up-irish-water-now-brands-it-a-disaster-30644275.html#sthash.RzhggxG5.dpuf

And a few other ministers echoed him.
    The tough-talking Minister for Foreign Affairs Charlie Flanagan targeted Irish Water’s customer relations. The company needed to be “more customer friendly” and improve the extent to which it engaged with the public, he said.
    Minister for Justice Frances Fitzgeraldtoo said Irish Water “really do have to work on customer relations”.
    Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform Brendan Howlin said there was “a job of work to be done” by Irish Water to “reconnect with ordinary people”, when he spoke to reporters on his way into the Cabinet meeting.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/analysis-ministers-distance-themselves-from-irish-water-1.1954914

Near time some of you woke up and smelt the coffee tbh.

@ Dxhound.

Fine Gaels Fergus O’Dowd, himself reckons they are poor communicators.

And a few other ministers echoed him.

Near time some of you woke up and smelt the coffee tbh.

That's what I meant by buzz phrases. I wonder did Kaiser just parrot what he heard recently. I remember we had this same thing with the HHC and the Property Tax. I'm translating "poor communication" to mean I don't want to pay. I wouldn't worry too much about O'Dowd, local factors here at play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That's what I meant by buzz phrases. I wonder did Kaiser just parrot what he heard recently. I remember we had this same thing with the HHC and the Property Tax. I'm translating "poor communication" to mean I don't want to pay. I wouldn't worry too much about O'Dowd, local factors here at play.

So basically what you are saying is that IW have done their part and its the customers fault!!

Luckily for IW, not only are they a monopoly, but a monopoly on a required product so they don't have to worry whether the customer get it or not. But any other business would not survice if such a large portion of any other companies customers felt that way they wouldn't be long in business

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So basically what you are saying is that IW have done their part and its the customers fault!!

Luckily for IW, not only are they a monopoly, but a monopoly on a required product so they don't have to worry whether the customer get it or not. But any other business would not survice if such a large portion of any other companies customers felt that way they wouldn't be long in business

We are on the subject of communication. I am suffering a communications deficit here. In other words I don't understand what you mean. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Why's that?

if you look back and see why posts were removed and posters including myself got threatning pm's from mods you would realise why, is this thread not on the irish water site, i read this somewhere, then there can be no talk about posters employment, look back to the time you said You were leaving.

Ogham wrote: »
    Looks like Sinn Fein want to do what some people think FG/LAb have already done - + Privatise Irish Water (bit sof it anyway)
    In their document about Irish Water they say funding should not be from domestic charges but from other things including "equity funding". That means selling shares in it - doesn't it?

http://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2014/WaterServicesDoc_2014.pdf

"Equity investment' is the phrase they use. So, yeah, it looks like SF are in favour of part privatisation of our water service.
    SF wrote:
    Funding should be generated through mixed income of which the majority is through public subsidy from the Government, in addition to non-domestic charges, commercial borrowing and equity investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

flutered wrote: »
    if you look back and see why posts were removed and posters including myself got threatning pm's from mods you would realise why, is this thread not on the irish water site, i read this somewhere, then there can be no talk about posters employment, look back to the time you said You were leaving.

Can someone decipher this for me? I'm struggling to understand it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

"Equity investment' is the phrase they use. So, yeah, it looks like SF are in favour of part privatisation of our water service.

Did S.F do deals with Dirty Denis?

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Did S.F do deals with Dirty Denis?

They don't have a list of people they would exclude as equity investors, so the SF policy is to sell water services to anyone willing to invest - including Denis O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

They don't have a list of people they would exclude as equity investors, so the SF policy is to sell water services to anyone willing to invest - including Denis O'Brien.

And Her Royal Majesty The Queen of England.

Gerry Adams who manages to stretch his average industrial wage to keep a home in the North, one in Louth and a holiday home in Donegal is so clued in on the whole water charges issue that he doesn't even know if he is liable.
    Here he is in action in an interview with Joe Finnegan on Shannonside Radio on Monday.

JOE: “Are you going to pay your water charges, Gerry?”
    GERRY: “Well, it doesn’t affect me in so far as, eh, I, in the North where my family home is, Sinn Féin stopped water charges…”
    Joe: “So you won’t have to pay water charges here in the South?”
    GERRY: “No, not, not, not to my knowledge.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Finger on the pulse there!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement