Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Happyman42 wrote: »
    And where did the state get the money?

EU, IMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

And where did the state get the money?
    papu wrote: »
    EU, IMF.

The money came from the EU & IMF deal to cover the deficit, in order to 'right the ship' the government has to try to balance the budget - it will not happen immediately, not even in the short term.. but what is better, asking people to pay for a commodity or to keep sinking further and further into debt?

If they don't get the money from water, where do you suggest they next make cuts? The hospitals? Garda? Less staff in the dole office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

jameshayes wrote: »
    The money came from the EU & IMF deal to cover the deficit, in order to 'right the ship' the government has to try to balance the budget - it will not happen immediately, not even in the short term.. but what is better, asking people to pay for a commodity or to keep sinking further and further into debt?

If they don't get the money from water, where do you suggest they next make cuts? The hospitals? Garda? Less staff in the dole office?

The deficit was not caused by what it took to maintain the water service.
    FG/Lab promised to reform the PS, if they had done that and got rid inefficiencies and increased the pitiful levels of productivity in Local Authorities there was no need to set up a costly and unneccesary quango to deliver what was already being delivered.
    We are now paying for both...the inefficient LA's and a new super expensive quango.
    Did somebody mention deficit? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

geeksauce wrote: »
    Outed as a snob? I don't get you, I have no issue with you calling me a snob Damaged none whatsoever.

strange, most would hide themselves in shame at the downright classism you displayed... but there's no accounting for the ross o'carroll kellys of this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

strange, most would hide themselves in shame at the downright classism you displayed... but there's no accounting for the ross o'carroll kellys of this world.

Hide themselves in shame? Why exactly would one do that? You called me a snob and I was supposed to get upset about that? Why exactly would I care if you think I am a snob?

• Advertisement

The deficit was not caused by what it took to maintain the water service.
    FG/Lab promised to reform the PS, if they had done that and got rid inefficiencies and increased the pitiful levels of productivity in Local Authorities there was no need to set up a costly and unneccesary quango to deliver what was already being delivered.
    We are now paying for both...the inefficient LA's and a new super expensive quango.
    Did somebody mention deficit? :rolleyes:

I did not say the deficit came from maintaining the water service alone, but yes - you are correct, it was a factor.

FG/Lab can promise's are worth SFA, like any one in politics, words are cheap. There were a number of recommendations on how to improve the GDP and the gov are acting on some of these. The water tax was in the pipeline for a long time before this, but it is a solution to some of the problem. - there is some good info here about GDP and other stats if you have not seen it before, http://www.tradingeconomics.com/ireland/indicators - I can send on more info if required.

IW was a necessity, the water system in Ireland was and is a joke, this company will work to fix the problem and hopefully will be successful.

IW was a necessity, the water system in Ireland was and is a joke, this company will work to fix the problem and hopefully will be successful.

Why was it a joke? It had problems and infrastructure was neglected...but a joke? I think you are buying into the spin a bit here.

I don't think IW was a necessity, the amount of money thrown at them just to set it up is scandalous and I would guess that there will be more things coming out about the money being spent on the set up of IW that will only further infuriate the public. The money spent on IW could easily have been used to repair the shoddy infrastructure currently in place, I think IW is a completely unnecessary company.

Why was it a joke? It had problems and infrastructure was neglected...but a joke? I think you are buying into the spin a bit here.

How was it not a joke, any engineer in Ireland will tell you that it was a farce, old equipment, poor infrastructure, poor water quality. Sure look at some down the country on boil notice, poxy brown water coming from taps!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Geeksauce and Damagedtrax, if ye two want to continue your flirting can ye take it to PM, it's getting very boring at this stage. Give it a rest.

• Advertisement

I don't think IW was a necessity, the amount of money thrown at them just to set it up is scandalous and I would guess that there will be more things coming out about the money being spent on the set up of IW that will only further infuriate the public. The money spent on IW could easily have been used to repair the shoddy infrastructure currently in place, I think IW is a completely unnecessary company.

Like what? bonuses? If you want to hire good people, you need to pay them well - which includes a bonus. Its a basic part of PRP.

How was it not a joke, any engineer in Ireland will tell you that it was a farce, old equipment, poor infrastructure, poor water quality. Sure look at some down the country on boil notice, poxy brown water coming from taps!?

It was in a crap state alright, but that was largely due to massive underinvestment in the systems in place. Yet all of a sudden there is a pile of money found somewhere to set up a company that will invest in the repair of our water systems. Makes no sense, taking the money that was spent setting up IW and investing it in our water systems would make a lot more sense.

There was neglected infrastructure, no denial there. But that can be fixed with investment. Something that FG/FF/Greens/Lab all neglected to do when there was money there.
    Those on boil notice are exceptions to the rule that the majority got potable water when they turned on their taps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Is it true that Siemens offered to install the water meters free of charge but the government turned down the offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Vanessa2003

Just a Quick question if I already pay LPT and they know how many people live in my house already, why don t them do some job themselfs and find out (it's not rocket science) rather then I pay for water I can not drink + register myself (as I will pay anyways ) and what Water Company do nothing ......
    If I don t register will I realy pay 400 + € just for not giving Water Company our PPS numbers ??
    Thanking you

It was in a crap state alright, but that was largely due to massive underinvestment in the systems in place. Yet all of a sudden there is a pile of money found somewhere to set up a company that will invest in the repair of our water systems. Makes no sense, taking the money that was spent setting up IW and investing it in our water systems would make a lot more sense.

The money was never there to make massive investments - the country have not had a positive GDP in a long time, we are pushing ourselves further into debt in order to get out of it, or in laymans terms, speculate to accumulate.

The money was never there to make massive investments - the country have not had a positive GDP in a long time, we are pushing ourselves further into debt in order to get out of it, or in laymans terms, speculate to accumulate.

The country was apparently awash with money a few years ago, yet there was still insufficient investment in the water system, the fact people are on boil notices is disgraceful. I am in a hard water area and used to have to replace appliances regularly, kettles, showers, washing machines etc. I now have a water softener installed cost me €700 and I have to buy salt every few weeks for it all because the water being supplied to my house is substandard.

The amount of money wasted on IW is insane, this money should have been used to repair the shoddy water infrastructure that's the bottom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The amount of money wasted on IW is insane, this money should have been used to repair the shoddy water infrastructure that's the bottom line.

It would have amounted to 9 months of infrastructure work (based on the €240m spent last year).

Not much tbh.

In the long term, a centralised authority stands a better chance of improving infrastructure than 30+ councils.

It would have amounted to 9 months of infrastructure work (based on the €240m spent last year).

Not much tbh.

In the long term, a centralised authority stands a better chance of improving infrastructure than 30+ councils.

Probably so, but if some of the resources poured into IW were invested in the 30 councils, or the few Regional Authorities there would have been improvement without the need to set up IW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Probably so, but if some of the resources poured into IW were invested in the 30 councils, or the few Regional Authorities there would have been improvement without the need to set up IW.

That can't be stated with any certainty.
    And again, its too short term.
    So the IW €180m startup cash is gone..... Spent amongst the counties, exhausted in less than a year.
    Then what?

• Advertisement

So the IW €180m startup cash is gone..... Spent amongst the counties, exhausted in less than a year.
    Then what?

You make sure they work...eg: reform as you promised to do.

Then what?

Then the revenue raised through domestic charges covers costs going forward. No fear of privatising our water system and charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Is it true that Siemens offered to install the water meters free of charge but the government turned down the offer?

They made some kind of offer like that alright.
    They wanted to do it for free so much that they didn't apply to do it for money when the tender came around. The folk over at Siemens are altruistic to a fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

My own opinion is that the water meters should be installed and control handed back to local authorities with a national authority that controls water quality and is involved in planning of infrastructure as well as central management.
    The meters should be used for research purposes and charging if use is over a set amount beyond what is reasonable.

The reason i say they should be installed is we are in mid process and now that the job has started it should be finished.
    Also having unlimited supply of water without payment really is a bit ridiculous just as is being expected to pay for reasonable levels.

In a country with so much rain and such a small population i don't think the current system can be justified,Not when there is 40% or more loss due to old or badly designed infrastructure.

The whole situation is a mess,Rushed ahead without enough consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

"Asked why it hadn't pursued the Siemens offer the Department of the Environment didn't supply an explanation, but said it had chosen the Irish Water option after 12 months of discussions with stakeholders as "the optimal organisational form for water services delivery in Ireland".

I can't post urls but of you google Siemens cheaper water meters you will get some facts

Hogan didn't want Siemens involved.

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Hogan didn't want Siemens involved.
    Siemens didn't compete for the tender.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Siemens didn't compete for the tender.

Siemens offered to supply the meters free.

Hogan & other F.G awarded the contract elsewhere and it cost the taxpayer upwards of €350 million.

Are either of those statements wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hogan & other F.G awarded the contract elsewhere and it cost the taxpayer upwards of €350 million.

You need proof to back up a claim like that, link please

VinLieger wrote: »
    You need proof to back up a claim like that, link please

What part of " I can't post links" do you need help with?

I supplied a quote and an exact phrase to google.

Its not like this has not been WIDELY reported

• Advertisement

The first is wrong - it wasn't free. They wanted their money back.
    Siemens proposed funding the fitting of water meters through an investment to be paid back through savings made in the multibillion-euro cost of providing water services once the meters were installed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement