Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

VinLieger wrote: »
    You need proof to back up a claim like that, link please

first google result.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/siemens-cheaper-water-meter-offer-snubbed-by-minister-hogan-26845507.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That link debunks the 'free' myth. It says it was an investment to be paid back.

Is anyone really that naive that they think Siemens were just going to provide all of the metering for nothing? Get a bit of a grip folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Phoebas wrote: »
    The first is wrong - it wasn't free. They wanted their money back.

This was reported in the Independent - again I cannot post urls

" Siemens proposed funding the fitting of water meters through an investment to be paid back through savings made in the multibillion-euro cost of providing water services once the meters were installed.

Instead the National Pensions Reserve Fund will be raided for €450m to pay some of the bill. The loan from its coffers will have to be paid back with interest at commercial rates, Mr Hogan has admitted, which would be at least €350m. Added to the estimated €810m installation fee, that brings the national water meter fitting bill to well over €1bn."

Keyword here is " SAVINGS" rather than a €350 in interest million loan from the TAXPAYER

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Keyword here is " SAVINGS" rather than a €350 in interest million loan from the TAXPAYER
    Keyword here is 'an investment to be paid back'.
    Not free!!!!

Anyway, Siemens decided not to tender for the gig and the rest is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

What part of " I can't post links" do you need help with?

I supplied a quote and an exact phrase to google.

Its not like this has not been WIDELY reported

Maybe I missed that post? Use some slight logic please and stop acting a victim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Of course Siemens may just have found out that Lord Voldemorte was tendering and not bothered wasting their time knowing his previous history of corruption* with FG.

*Moriarty tribunal finding , not mine.

Keyword here is 'an investment to be paid back'.
    Not free!!!!

Anyway, Siemens decided not to tender for the gig and the rest is history.

History indeed. Unless it comes up in another tribunal. Siemens most probably realised they were dealing with genuine Gombeens and decided risk was greater than reward
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Maybe I missed that post? Use some slight logic please and stop acting a victim
    Logic? I put forward a reasoned and supported post while you..... didn't.

So, you have absolutely no useful input? No arguments, nuggets of wisdom? Not even a glimmer of an idea or suggestion? Grand so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I doubt Siemens offered anything for free. More likely they would install the meters as long as they got a long term contract for monitoring and maintaining.

Siemens most probably realised they were dealing with genuine Gombeens and decided risk was greater than reward

At least you now accept that Siemens were looking to be rewarded.

That's progress I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Anyone else think the cost of implementing IW could have probably paid for fixing the leaky water mains instead?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Feel like going to the water protest on Saturday in Dublin wearing my Garth Brooks T-shirt. I'm not over that yet.

At least you now accept that Siemens were looking to be rewarded.

That's progress I suppose.

Do you GENUINELY not understand the difference with Siemens paying the cost up front and
    Hogan borrowing the money at a cost of €350 million in interest?

Do you GENUINELY not understand the difference with Siemens paying the cost up front and
    Since both need to be paid back there isn't a whole pile of difference.

Its certainly not 'free', as you claimed, is it?

DubVelo wrote: »
    Anyone else think the cost of implementing IW could have probably paid for fixing the leaky water mains instead?

Not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

When did Siemens turn into a philanthropic organisation?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Siemens were sniffing around four years ago. The previous government could have signed up for the deal.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gormley-welcomes-siemens-water-meter-talks-134352.html

One of the reasons it did not work out probably is that the government would have been accused of being under the control of Germany and a German company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I have done a bit of Googling cajonlardo, and the most informative collection of information I could find on why Siemens water meter installation contract was turned down, is over on Politics.ie website.

here is the link..

http://www.politics.ie/forum/environment/221752-why-siemens-water-meter-installation-turned-down.html

I hadn't really bothered reading up on this until today. There are a lot of issues out there at the minute that are fueling the hate, this is one of them, so I wanted to find out if there was any truth to it.

I have done a bit of Googling cajonlardo, and the most informative collection of information I could find on why Siemens water meter installation contract was turned down, is over on Politics.ie website.

here is the link

I hadn't really bothered reading up on this until today. There are a lot of issues out there at the minute that are fueling the hate, this is one of them, so I wanted to find out if there was any truth to it.

Your link doesn't work for me. It could be this one.

http://www.politics.ie/forum/environment/221752-why-siemens-water-meter-installation-turned-down.html

I'm not going to read through 11 pages trying to figure out what you mean. How is this fuelling the debate? Will it change anything, now that it is ancient history?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Vanessa2003

I just went to register and they ask PIN number but I never received no pin or anything from them , just sent them email , but they say it might take up to 5 days to read it, I just took screen shot , just in case they ignore me I will take soliciter!
    OMG you can not even register if you want to :(

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Vanessa2003

I just went to register and they ask PIN number but I never received no pin or anything from them , just sent them email , but they say it might take up to 5 days to read it, I just took screen shot , just in case they ignore me I will take soliciter!
    OMG you can not even register if you want to :(

Thank you for contacting Irish Water
    A member of our customer care team will respond to your query within 5 working days.
    If your query is urgent please contact us on 1890 448 448.

Irish Water, Private Company Limited by Shares,
    Registered Office, Colvill House, 24-26 Talbot Street, Dublin 1
    Registered in Ireland, Registered no. 530363

So what now , I won t be able to clam allowance for household and kids ?
    Who ever done this is a chancer who has earned a final chance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Your link doesn't work for me. It could be this one.

I'm not going to read through 11 pages trying to figure out what you mean. How is this fuelling the debate? Will it change anything, now that it is ancient history?

yes, that is the link I meant to post, many thanks.

I wouldn't expect that everyone would read through 11 pages..

so in a nutshell many of the posters on the Politics.ie thread felt that if Siemens got the contract of installing the water meters, then friends of the government wouldn't be looked after. Not enough brown envelopes and not enough jobs for the boys.

ps. It is recent history. Brian Boru is ancient history... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Maybe Siemens figured the utility would never make a profit and they'd never get their money back. At this stage I would have to concur.

Two things Ireland is famous for, free water and free solicitors. Well free water anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Thank you for contacting Irish Water
    A member of our customer care team will respond to your query within 5 working days.
    If your query is urgent please contact us on 1890 448 448.

Irish Water, Private Company Limited by Shares,
    Registered Office, Colvill House, 24-26 Talbot Street, Dublin 1
    Registered in Ireland, Registered no. 530363

Who ever done this is a chancer who has earned a final chance!

So contact them on the number given or wait upto 5 days, where's the confusion?

You can claim it after you get the application pack.
    Plenty of time - the first bill isn't going to be issued for another 10 weeks or so.
    so in a nutshell many of the posters on the Politics.ie thread felt that if Siemens got the contract of installing the water meters, then friends of the government wouldn't be looked after. Not enough brown envelopes and not enough jobs for the boys.
    The posters on politics.is are even more hysterical than the ones on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

I had concerns over the calibration with my meter.

After a careful check with a 25L bucket, it is reading less . I filled a bucket up to the 25L mark and the meter measures 24.

I think its worth checking because if it is reading less on mine, it could be reading more on others.

I had concerns over the calibration with my meter.

After a careful check with a 25L bucket, it is reading less . I filled a bucket up to the 25L mark and the meter measures 24.

I think its worth checking because if it is reading less on mine, it could be reading more on others.

Your bucket is wrong, they only gave you 24L of mayo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    So contact them on the number given or wait upto 5 days, where's the confusion?

Calling is a dead end. .....'WE ARE EXPERIENCING A HIGH LEVEL OF ACTIVITIY AT PRESENT. PLEASE VISIT www.......
    I did. 11 days ago

Calling is a dead end. .....'WE ARE EXPERIENCING A HIGH LEVEL OF ACTIVITIY AT PRESENT. PLEASE VISIT www.......
    I did. 11 days ago

Do they at least have good music...?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

You can claim it after you get the application pack.
    Plenty of time - the first bill isn't going to be issued for another 10 weeks or so.

The posters on politics.is are even more hysterical than the ones on here.

Ah now. There is zero hysteria in any claim that irish politics involves cronyism. Try The New if you need clarification.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement