Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

zanador wrote: »
    I am sure this has been covered but what I don't understand is this - water is a finite resource and in some years time whoever has control of it will be in a great position of power.

This has worked out very well for us in terms of oil - definitely no wars or conflict over that.

Why are people supporting this particular implementation of water metering and charges?

I actually don't mind paying for water infrastructure, but I would like some semblance of control over where any extra money goes (ie into a proper healthcare system, proper education system, proper transport network or whatever). Why are some of you happy for some business man with no investment into our community to get money for this? I really don't get it.

What extra money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Because they are Morons. Lemmings , gullible folk . Fools with their money .

The list goes on.

Or people with vested interest in creating a media and social network facade .

DublinSaysNo

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

What extra money?

If there happens to be any money over after infrastructure is maintained and necessary staff paid? Or it could be held for a year/time when there were more repairs needed than normal, say a really cold winter with burst pipes etc...

If there happens to be any money over after infrastructure is maintained and necessary staff paid? Or it could be held for a year/time when there were more repairs needed than normal, say a really cold winter with burst pipes etc...

The government is the sole share holder of IW so any profits paid out in dividendes would go to the exchequer. It's unlikely this will happen in the next decade considering the level of repairs that the national infrastructure needs. I don't know who this business man is supposed to be that's making all the money. The only people that make any money out of IW are it's employees and the contractors installing the meters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Hijpo wrote: »
    Cue the "look at all the people he's keeping in employment" spin. Even if he is a tax exile.

many of them are Jobsbridge workers. Dole + €few quid extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The government is the sole share holder of IW so any profits paid out in dividendes would go to the exchequer. It's unlikely this will happen in the next decade considering the level of repairs that the national infrastructure needs. I don't know who this business man is supposed to be that's making all the money. The only people that make any money out of IW are it's employees and the contractors installing the meters.

You have not heard of a certain Denis then.

If you have a contract to install meters and dont factually have to use installers that are PAYE workers inside this state. Would you indeed not be making money out of this shenanigans ?

Perplexing how one could think installing Water Meters isnt a money maker and its just lowly installers taking a wage out of it.

Laughable in fact.

listermint wrote: »
    You have not heard of a certain Denis then.

If you have a contract to install meters and dont factually have to use installers that are PAYE workers inside this state. Would you indeed not be making money out of this shenanigans ?

Perplexing how one could think installing Water Meters isnt a money maker and its just lowly installers taking a wage out of it.

Laughable in fact.

Someone sent me a link about it. He owns a company that acquired a company that owns a company that got three of the contracts to install meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Someone sent me a link about it. He owns a company that acquired a company that owns a company that got three of the contracts to install meters.

Ah right so, so he just happened to chance across it so.

like bumping into a bus stop after a few jars and finding a fiver on the ground.

That makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

Nice work if you can get it!

They certainly wouldn't get away with that here in France where I am. The country would grind to a halt with protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

But if there are leaks on the property, how would this be fixed. Would people need to hire out a hi Mac to get their drive way dug up to access the pipes. I have no idea how it's done. If it does involve digging up driveways, I would imagine a job like that would cost thousands and for many people that's money they don't have.
    That's why I'd want to get my 'first fix' application in very early.

• Advertisement

I am sure this has been covered but what I don't understand is this - water is a finite resource and in some years time whoever has control of it will be in a great position of power.

This has worked out very well for us in terms of oil - definitely no wars or conflict over that.

Why are people supporting this particular implementation of water metering and charges?

I actually don't mind paying for water infrastructure, but I would like some semblance of control over where any extra money goes (ie into a proper healthcare system, proper education system, proper transport network or whatever). Why are some of you happy for some business man with no investment into our community to get money for this? I really don't get it.
    There won't be extra money - the income stream from water charges does into water infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

How do you know if you have a meter?

Up and down the road the neighbours has got a black square with a round lid, does that sound the meter?

But then we can't find our own meter. There's something that looks like this outside but its more towards the neighbours across the road. The lid says water meter, but its not like the other neighbours meters up and down the road. Its a big lid. Can the big lid have two meters under it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

http://m.vice.com/read/irish-protest-groups-have-had-enough-of-paying-for-crappy-water-467?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I'll be there tomorrow. I hope to see a good crowd there. I've certainly had enough and would consider myself working poor nowadays with about €100 left at the end of the month.

Irish Water can go f**k themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

I'll be there on a bus up from limerick. ..hope to see a big turnout.

Who's organising this protest tomorrow anyway? Is there a website / Facebook page?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm very surprised at the poll so far, I was expecting a huge show for Opposed and won't pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

http://m.vice.com/read/irish-protest-groups-have-had-enough-of-paying-for-crappy-water-467?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I'll be there tomorrow. I hope to see a good crowd there. I've certainly had enough and would consider myself working poor nowadays with about €100 left at the end of the month.

falan wrote: »
    I'll be there on a bus up from limerick. ..hope to see a big turnout.

Best of luck with marching the budget deficit away.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'm very surprised at the poll so far, I was expecting a huge show for Opposed and won't pay

As per my early morning post I am still wondering why some people are against the charge but are going to pay it. 14 people as I type this. Would anyone like to explain.

On the other hand 95% think that you're not handsome...

As per my early morning post I am still wondering why some people are against the charge but are going to pay it. 14 people as I type this. Would anyone like to explain.

I'm not happy with lots of taxes but I still pay them.
    You don't have to agree with a tax to admit defeat and get into line. Take the LPT for example.

• Advertisement

Now that Ireland has taken it's place amongst the nations of the world in having water charges, that just leaves Northern Ireland as the only outlier in Europe.

But maybe not for much longer. The RNU who are spearheading resistance in Dundalk are obviously an all Island movement just like Sinn Fein. They have some news from the "Six Counties".

http://www.republicanunity.org/rnu-expose-disingenuous-ni-water/

As an aside local radio here reported that the unknown individual who was among the 4 arrested in Dundalk at a RNU "protest" has been identified. He told the judge he had the right to remain silent when he was asked for his name. There is a warrant out for his arrest for another incident in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Phoebas wrote: »
    Who's organising this protest tomorrow anyway? Is there a website / Facebook page?

http://www.right2water.ie/
    Right2Water is a citizens’ campaign supported by trade unions Unite, Mandate, the CPSU and OPATSI, as well as by Sinn Fein, People Before Profit, the Anti Austerity Alliance and the Workers’ Party. The campaign is also supported by a range of community groups and individual activists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

People don't like paying extra money but realize it is the right thing to do in the current economy. Pretty straightforward I would have thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Wombatman wrote: »

Sinn fein never miss a chance do they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Phoebas wrote: »
    On the other hand 95% think that you're not handsome...

Another surprise!!! :D

Won't be attending the protest tomorrow myself. What kinda numbers are expected?

I wonder will Joan's little swipe at the apparent affluence of protestors who say they can't afford to pay cause some of the better off cohort at the march to hide their fancy phones away tomorrow. Probably not though, they seem to have a phone fetish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

The protest is fundamentally flawed IMO. The focus is on 'human right to water'. That the provision of water should be free. But Ireland is just about the only country in Europe where you don't pay a water charge. And people absolutely should. What makes Ireland special? There is no coherent argument against the concept of a water charge that I have seen from anyone.

The issue is the way that the the government has gone about it, and the structure of Irish Water. If that were the reason for the protest, I might have some sympathy, and might add my support.

But asking me to sign a petition asking for water be free? No....I won't do that.

If the purpose of a protest is to change the mind of the government, it will not work. Water charges are here to stay. If the protest were about IW ownership, charge structure etc, then changes might be made. Like all these protests, they focus on the big thing about which there will be no going back, rather than things which could be changed.

Another surprise!!! :D

Won't be attending the protest tomorrow myself. What kinda numbers are expected?

15.7k according to the Facebook page. That would be a good turnout if it transpired.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

So where is the march tomorrow going? Is it even a march or just a meeting at the Garden of Remembrance?

• Advertisement

The protest is fundamentally flawed IMO. The focus is on 'human right to water'. That the provision of water should be free. But Ireland is just about the only country in Europe where you don't pay a water charge. And people absolutely should. What makes Ireland special? There is no coherent argument against the concept of a water charge that I have seen from anyone.

Using 'water is a human right' is a cynical hook to hang the campaign off, but I guess it allows people to claim some higher justification for opposing it other than 'won't pay; somebody else should pay'.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement