Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

So where is the march tomorrow going? Is it even a march or just a meeting at the Garden of Remembrance?

From the website.......
    The demonstration will assemble at the Garden of Remembrance at 2 pm, and from there proceed via D’Olier Street and Westmoreland Street to the GPO, where a rally will be held. In addition to a small number of speakers, there will be live entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The protest is fundamentally flawed IMO. The focus is on 'human right to water'. That the provision of water should be free. But Ireland is just about the only country in Europe where you don't pay a water charge. And people absolutely should. What makes Ireland special? There is no coherent argument against the concept of a water charge that I have seen from anyone.

The issue is the way that the the government has gone about it, and the structure of Irish Water. If that were the reason for the protest, I might have some sympathy, and might add my support.

But asking me to sign a petition asking for water be free? No....I won't do that.

You can't agree with every aspect of other people's views in political matters.

But. If you disagree with the how this was set up. The manner the CEO was appointed and the awarding if contracts well then that is enough to give your support this is why I will be there tomorrow as I'm sure is many.

Its ridiculous to sit on the sidelines just because you don't agree with everything others have issue with. Democracy would not work otherwise.

As I said above its enough to support the campaign solely based on how the government have treated it's citizens with utter contempt throughout this us whole matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

listermint wrote: »
    You can't agree with every aspect of other people's views in political matters.

But. If you disagree with the how this was set up. The manner the CEO was appointed and the awarding if contracts well then that is enough to give your support this is why I will be there tomorrow as I'm sure is many.

Its ridiculous to sit on the sidelines just because you don't agree with everything others have issue with. Democracy would not work otherwise.

As I said above its enough to support the campaign solely based on how the government have treated it's citizens with utter contempt throughout this us whole matter.

I added a last paragraph after you'd replied. The issue is with what is being protested about. I don't disagree with you about the structure of IW. But that's not the headline....not what the protest is primarily about

If the purpose of a protest is to change the mind of the government, it will not work. Water charges are here to stay. If the protest were about IW ownership, charge structure etc, then it is realistic to think that changes might be made. But like all these protests going back 4 or 5 years, they focus on the big thing about which there will be no going back, rather than things which could be changed.

I added a last paragraph after you'd replied. The issue is with what is being protested about. I don't disagree with you about the structure of IW. But that's not the headline....not what the protest is primarily about

If the purpose of a protest is to change the mind of the government, it will not work. Water charges are here to stay. If the protest were about IW ownership, charge structure etc, then it is realistic to think that changes might be made. But like all these protests going back 4 or 5 years, they focus on the big thing about which there will be no going back, rather than things which could be changed.

Not really a fair assessment is it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Not really a fair assessment is it though?

It's a different world. I said the last 4 or 5 years.....post crisis. Not the last 20

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

http://m.vice.com/read/irish-protest-groups-have-had-enough-of-paying-for-crappy-water-467?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

I'll be there tomorrow. I hope to see a good crowd there. I've certainly had enough and would consider myself working poor nowadays with about €100 left at the end of the month.

Irish Water can go f**k themselves.

I'm undecided whether to go or not tomorrow. It's something I would like to go to but getting home back from Dublin to my home county is OK but there's no late night buses to my rural village and I'd have to pay for a taxi home for about 30 euro.

It's something I very much support though and I wish I could go. I became underemployed 3 years ago and my wage then reflected the new hours at around 240 a week. Slowly my hours increased over time and I work from anything from 10 to 14 hours a day but my wage never increased. Exhausted and shattered I am.

I met my dad during the week. He was self employed before but now has nothing and he isn't entitled to the unemployment assistance or any sw help. I'd love to go to represent him.

I'm wishing you and everybody due to attend the very best of luck for tomorrow and the coming weeks.

I hope some sort of a change happens.

I'm undecided whether to go or not tomorrow. It's something I would like to go to but getting home back from my Dublin to my home county is OK but there's no late night buses to my rural village and I'd have to pay for a taxi home for about 30 euro.

It's something I very much support though and I wish I could go. I became underemployed 3 years ago and my wage then reflected the new hours at around 240 a week. Slowly my hours increased over time and I work from anything from 10 to 14 hours a day but my wage never increased. Exhausted and shattered I am.

I met my dad during the week. He was self employed before but now has nothing and he isn't entitled to the unemployment assistance or any sw help. I'd love to go to represent him.

I'm wishing you everybody due to attend the very best of luck for tomorrow and the coming weeks.

I hope some sort of a change happens.

Try your best. It shouldn't be late night you can probably get an evening bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I'll be there tomorrow too.

No point hurling from the ditch. The exchequer will get it's fair share from me tomorrow anyway as I'll be going for pints afterwards. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Try your best. It shouldn't be late night you can probably get an evening bus.

Maybe I could try for a bed in a hostel in Dublin tomorrow night for about 15 quid and it would be cheaper and then come home Sunday morning. If I go with this I could do evening and late night protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rosshennessy

If you do not go over your allowance you pay nothing, That is what I was told on the phone today form Irish Water. I have a well and use the mains for back up, if I only use 29999 of my 30000 allowance I pay nothing. Cant find any confirmation in writing on their website and nobody is replying to my emails. But over the phone they say you pay nothing if under the allowance, DONT TRUST THEM!!!

Anyone come across this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

If you do not go over your allowance you pay nothing, That is what I was told on the phone today form Irish Water. I have a well and use the mains for back up, if I only use 29999 of my 30000 allowance I pay nothing. Cant find any confirmation in writing on their website and nobody is replying to my emails. But over the phone they say you pay nothing if under the allowance, DONT TRUST THEM!!!

Anyone come across this?

Is there not a miminum standing payment of €44/quarter? Not sure where I heard this though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I'll be there tomorrow too.

No point hurling from the ditch. The exchequer will get it's fair share from me tomorrow anyway as I'll be going for pints afterwards. :)

Paying 5€ for 500ml of 95% water. The F*kin Irony.

papu wrote: »

Fiver pint in Dublin. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You may find its the 5% he is actually paying for though :pac:.

I won't have to give the barman my Pps Num, and if I feel like pacing myself he won't up the price to compensate.

Affordability is not, nor never has been an issue to me with this charge, hence the reason I couldn't give a fcuk about any 'free allowance' despite having 2 kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Fiver pint in Dublin. Good luck.

4€ Pints are easily found. Thanks for the luck

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

zanador wrote: »
    Is there not a miminum standing payment of €44/quarter? Not sure where I heard this though

There is no standing charge not yet anyway and as far as i know if you dont go over your allowance you pay nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I won't have to give the barman my Pps Num, and if I feel like pacing myself he won't up the price to compensate.

Affordability is not, nor never has been an issue to me with this charge, hence the reason I couldn't give a fcuk about any 'free allowance' despite having 2 kids.

Any private property owner would be on very thin ice from a financial standpoint if they couldn't afford to budget for this quarterly utility bill. If you remember the HHC applied only to private properties, yet it was claimed that €100 with 18 months to pay was going to lead to mass homelessness. I think most of the protestors are the same as you not can't pay but won't pay.

Except that you will pay and they will pay. The protest is spinning the line that if people ignore the bills nothing will happen. Using the old "if" one million refuse to pay nonsense. But just like CAHWT disappeared this lot won't be around to help out anyone who takes their advice and then finds themselves in trouble with the law.

Any private property owner would be on very thin ice from a financial standpoint if they couldn't afford to budget for this quarterly utility bill. If you remember the HHC applied only to private properties, yet it was claimed that €100 with 18 months to pay was going to lead to mass homelessness. I think most of the protestors are the same as you not can't pay but won't pay.

Except that you will pay and they will pay. The protest is spinning the line that if people ignore the bills nothing will happen. Using the old "if" one million refuse to pay nonsense. But just like CAHWT disappeared this lot won't be around to help out anyone who takes their advice and then finds themselves in trouble with the law.

Thanks for the advice, but I already said I could afford it no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Best of luck with marching the budget deficit away.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice, but I already said I could afford it no bother.

Me too. But don't listen to himself he's been on here giving it large for days. I think he even used the term Shtick at one stage.

Perplexing

• Registered Users Posts: 21,026 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Me too. But don't listen to himself he's been on here giving it large for days. I think he even used the term Shtick at one stage.

Perplexing

You must be referring to a poster called This Regard who used the word Shtick. I can't see the relevance though.

Perplexing? That is meaningless. If a person is perplexed, they should say "I am perplexed".

You must be referring to a poster called This Regard who used the word Shtick. I can't see the relevance though.

Perplexing? That is meaningless. If a person is perplexed, they should say "I am perplexed".

Peas pod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

€180 million to set this quango up. workers on an average salary of €64k (excluding their 5% bonus). over €1.2 billion spent a year from the exchequer on water infrastructure.

water charges were introduced as a directive by the troika as an attempt to balance the governments books for debt which I am not responsible for. I never lived beyond my means during the 'boom' so they can get stuffed if they think I'll pay (in my opinion) an elective tax on top of the 52% of my hard earned pay I already pay towards tax, for which I get nada in return. I'll be there on the march tomorrow. bring it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

€180 million to set this quango up. workers on an average salary of €64k (excluding their 5% bonus). over €1.2 billion spent a year from the exchequer on water infrastructure.

water charges were introduced as a directive by the troika as an attempt to balance the governments books for debt which I am not responsible for. I never lived beyond my means during the 'boom' so they can go **** themselves if they think I'll pay (in my opinion) an elective tax on top of the 52% of my hard earned pay I already pay towards tax, for which I get jack-**** in return. I'll be there on the march tomorrow. bring it on.

How else do you expect to pay back what we borrowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Anyone come across this?

Yes, of course, this is correct.

The allowance is 30,000 litres per household pa, or 30 cu m.

If that's all you use, then charge = NIL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, of course, this is correct.

The allowance is 30,000 litres per household pa, or 30 cu m.

If that's all you use, then charge = NIL.

What is the likely hood they will introduce a standing charge, which will apply wether you use it or not, to cover the running of IW?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Hijpo wrote: »
    What is the likely hood they will introduce a standing charge, which will apply wether you use it or not, to cover the running of IW?

Bit late to be asking those kinds of questions. The CER has already decided the pricing structure and a standing charge isn't part of it.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Bit late to be asking those kinds of questions. The CER has already decided the pricing structure and a standing charge isn't part of it.

And that will stand forever will it?

Nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

And that will stand forever will it?

Nonsense
    It would be nonsense if I was to claim that the current pricing structure would stand forever, which, of course, I didn't.

But the decisions in this regard gave been made and are unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement