Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

yipeeeee wrote: »
    How else do you expect to pay back what we borrowed?

I don't. It's debt based on the reckless speculation of european banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

I don't. It's debt based on the reckless speculation of european banks.

Only about 28% of it is, actually.
    The rest is a result of us paying ourselves too much.... mostly to public servants...
    during the boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The rest is a result of us paying ourselves too much.... mostly to public servants...
    during the boom!

Many of whom (public and private) paid the price through significant pay cuts and tax hikes, or forced redundancy - and with only statutory redundancy in the case of many.

Then you have their kids who can't find work either but who have to live at home thanks to the government slashing their dole - unless of course they emigrate which many were forced to do (and now you have the neck of Kenny and Co talking about luring them back to screw them over some more!)

Most ordinary workers in this country have long since paid for any debt "they" owe to this State (note for the pedantic, I'm not referring to personal debt like loans and mortgages here) - can't really say the same for Bertie, Cowen, the Anglo lads, and the rest who were making those decisions though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Many of whom (public and private) paid the price through significant pay cuts and tax hikes, or forced redundancy - and with only statutory redundancy in the case of many.

Then you have their kids who can't find work either but who have to live at home thanks to the government slashing their dole - unless of course they emigrate which many were forced to do (and now you have the neck of Kenny and Co talking about luring them back to screw them over some more!)

Most ordinary workers in this country have long since paid for any debt "they" owe to this State (note for the pedantic, I'm not referring to personal debt like loans and mortgages here) - can't really say the same for Bertie, Cowen, the Anglo lads, and the rest who were making those decisions though.
    And yet, the debt - and the deficit that is continually adding to the debt - still remains.

Phoebas wrote: »
    And yet, the debt - and the deficit that is continually adding to the debt - still remains.

My sentimentents exactly. Well said.

• Advertisement

during the boom!

So should we ameliorate this problem by setting up another quango to charge people something they already pay for? Or is it up to the government to fix the real issue you mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

LOL at the marchers today.

They'll be lucky to get the turnout of a small rural town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

So should we ameliorate this problem by setting up another quango to charge people something they already pay for? Or is it up to the government to fix the real issue you mentioned?

Governments are powerless without money.
    How do you think they should go about fixing the "real issues"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I won't be attending but fair play to people standing up for what they believe in. I don't see any reason to laugh at them.

The organiser's Facebook page claims 16,000 are attending today. Be interesting to see if hey get that kind of turnout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The organiser's Facebook page claims 16,000 are attending today. Be interesting to see if hey get that kind of turnout.

I would say there will be more.

Just like boards, many people aren't on Facebook.

Of course whatever RTE report is there should be multiplied by 3.

Nice day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Why would you laugh at people who are marching for something they feel strongly about? Just because it dont affect you its alright to have a laugh at these people. Fair play to them and only for a family wedding i would be there with them myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

sammy37 wrote: »
    Why would you laugh at people who are marching for something they feel strongly about? Just because it dont affect you its alright to have a laugh at these people. Fair play to them and only for a family wedding i would be there with them myself.

Never understood the 'fair play to them attitude'.

Would you say the same if a bunch of people who were really passionate about kid touching decided to march through Dublin? Simply being really passionate about something doesn't make you heroic

• Registered Users Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Its all the fools who spent weeks standing around outside housing estates and moaning via social media but who aren't marching today that I lol at. All of a sudden they have something more important to be doing.

I wouldn't agree at all with the marchers but they are at least making an effort.

Would you say the same if a bunch of people who were really passionate about kid touching decided to march through Dublin? Simply being really passionate about something doesn't make you heroic
    What kind of a stupid comparison is that who mentioned anything about kid touching i am talking about water taxes and praised these people for protesting about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

This post is so stupid I think it might break the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Slashing their dole to one of the highest in Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

One third of our expenditure is on social welfare.

We are taking in less than we are giving out.

How do you propose we pay off this massive debt we are in?

Burn the bondholders?

We can sit here all day saying its the banks fault were in debt, but what about the huge amount of people who took out wreckless mortgages?

They were quite happy to take the money too.

sammy37 wrote: »
    What kind of a stupid comparison is that who mentioned anything about kid touching i am talking about water taxes and praised these people for protesting about them.

Ok so let's say it's people protesting about not being straight up able to steal stuff from shop with no consequences.

Would you say "fair play" to them? They're also really passionate about not paying for something that they will use. They are taking time to go out and protest so fair play to them right?

• Advertisement

Nice day for a stroll around Dublin city centre anyway.
    Hopefully they'll all behave themselves, make their point and go home peacefully.

Ok so let's say it's people protesting about not being straight up able to steal stuff from shop with no consequences.

Would you say "fair play" to them? They're also really passionate about not paying for something that they will use. They are taking time to go out and protest so fair play to them right?

Honest to god i just dont see where you are coming from i was talking about the people marching today and i said fair play to them and you start going off in a tangent about kid touching and people who steal stuff from shops. Whats that got to do with what i was saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nice day for a stroll around Dublin city centre anyway.
    Hopefully they'll all behave themselves, make their point and go home peacefully.

I'm shocked that you haven't come up with the idea of putting a toll on the route.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Its posts like this that make attacking the post and not the poster rule hard to follow sometimes, So I will just.......................

d**khead post :pac:

Governments are powerless without money.
    How do you think they should go about fixing the "real issues"?

Ever hear of a financial haircut?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0d16aec2-03df-11e1-98bc-00144feabdc0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭relax carry on

So how does AH reckon this afternoons protest will go? Will it be hijacked by the tinfoil hat wearing lunatic fringe which seem to show up at pretty much every protest these days? Will it actually be large enough and vocal enough to make anyone in power to take notice. If anyone in power does take any notice what do the protestors hope to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

So how does AH reckon this afternoons protest will go? Will it be hijacked by the tinfoil hat wearing lunatic fringe which seem to show up at pretty much every protest these days? Will it actually be large enough and vocal enough to make anyone in power to take notice. If anyone in power does take any notice what do the protestors hope to achieve?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a carbon copy of the Student demonstration a few years back. The main protest will go fine but a number of scumbags will try and cause trouble leading to clashes with Gardaí. I also think the fringe groups will try dilute the message from an anti water one to an anti everything protest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I don't see any reason to laugh at them.

I do.

They're deluded.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement