Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Balls.

To go with your string.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

OU812 wrote: »
    site16Camera6.jpg

Way more than 10,000 there
    In that frame there is maybe 3000 including people who were on O'Connell street anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Balls.

You are towards the front arent you

Balls.

Discuss

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The gardaí will have the most accurate figure. And no they're not being instructed by the government to lower the numbers. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Discuss

I'm here FFS , there's at LEAST 100k here.

To put it into perspective, I'm almost back at the GPO, and they're STILL leaving the garden of Remembrance, ie the protester's have caught up with the ones at the back

Keep your eyes open, it'll be reported soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

About 2000 to 3000 there.

In that frame yes. You do realise the march started at 2.00pm? An hour and 20 mins later and the crowds are still marching passed that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The gardaí will have the most accurate figure. And no they're not being instructed by the government to lower the numbers. :rolleyes:

Although even the RTE website stating 'thousands' there.

I always go by the rule of multiplying what rte says by 3 and dividing what the protest groups say by 2.. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

If they report it as anything less than 10 million they'll be accused of being government stooges anyway

To put it into perspective, I'm almost back at the GPO, and they're STILL leaving the garden of Remembrance, ie the protester's have caught up with the ones at the back

When I was at the corner of mileage street the crowd was dwindling but potentially it was just spread out. I'll stroll down and have a look now and will be happy to admit I'm wrong

• Advertisement

Ok but I'll remain sceptical until it is.

In that frame yes. You do realise the march started at 2.00pm? An hour and 20 mins later and the crowds are still marching passed that point.

I was responding to this, posted underneath the frame grab.

So I think your are saying I was right. I did not comment on the overall number.

Would it be too much to ask rte to send down a camera man or two, maybe show us a bit of the protest

Watching a piece about the toy show tickets on the rte news,

It's possible that some of the onsite reporters have indulged in light refreshments before the march. Which could cloud their ability to judge the numbers accurately.

zanador wrote: »
    Although even the RTE website stating 'thousands' there.

I always go by the rule of multiplying what rte says by 3 and dividing what the protest groups say by 2.. :D
    I would believe the numbers of RTE and the Gardaí more than the protesters. The first two have no incentive to lie.

Claims that the government are censoring RTE and the Gardaí are total nonsense. Both are independent bodies.

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Would it be too much to ask rte to send down a camera man or two, maybe show us a bit of the protest

Would it be safe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

I was responding to this, posted underneath the frame grab.

So I think your are saying I was right. I did not comment on the overall number.

Your post came across as though it was your opinion of the total. My bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

I would believe the numbers of RTE and the Gardaí more than the protesters. The first two have no incentive to lie.

I don't really agree about RTE but will be interested to see what the guards reckon.

I take back what I said. The first people turned on to kildare street at 2.30 and there are still people arriving!

Although it's far more speed out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

That would probably be too much of an ask of the national TV broadcaster. The protest organisers had to call in the English TV crew to report on things correctly.

• Advertisement

I take back what I said. The first people turned on to kildare street at 2.30 and there are still people arriving!

Although it's far more speed out

I hope this is just the start of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Claims that the government are censoring RTE and the Gardaí are total nonsense. Both are independent bodies.

You're having a laugh.. RTE has long ago been shown to be little more than a government mouthpiece - I'd expect minimal coverage of this on tonight's news with a few seconds of video.

As for the Gardai... have you forgotten that Shatter and Callinan were both (rightly) forced to resign because of the handling of the Whistleblower affair? Then there's the countless scandals and corruption they've been involved in over the years (the Donegal stuff, money disappearing from stations, penalty points etc)

The fact is that we'll never know how many people actually turned up but your faith in the 2 bodies in question is misplaced

I was checking Facebook and twittet, the protest match is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/1011/651606-water-charges/

Up to 50k is the estimate so far from RTE, good turn out I'd say!

That would probably be too much of an ask of the national TV broadcaster. The protest organisers had to call in the English TV crew to report on things correctly.

Are you familiar with newgathering? It is not an event of such significance that RTE have to break into scheduled programmes to give it coverage. The student march didn't get special coverage either.

I expect that Satellite News Gathering is on site for RTE and you will see a package on the 6 and 9 o'clock News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Typical 'someone else needs to pay for it' rubbish.

calm down there Enda...

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As for the Gardai... have you forgotten that Shatter and Callinan were both (rightly) forced to resign because of the handling of the Whistleblower affair? Then there's the countless scandals and corruption they've been involved in over the years (the Donegal stuff, money disappearing from stations, penalty points etc)

We could ask maurice mccabe to independently verify any estimates

We could ask maurice mccabe to independently verify any estimates

We couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/1011/651606-water-charges/

RTE updating quite quickly! Up to 100k now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Has there been any garda brutalising Starbucks latte's

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement