Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Lol, not even one full one yet.

Seriously, there has been calls by the various speakers for the public not to engage with them, and to boycott the bills. Also, another nation wide protest has been called for Nov 1st.

Time will tell I suppose.

I know the 1st of Nov. Is 3 weeks away, I think if there's another protest march planned, that gap of 3 weeks should be shortened. Maybe next weekend or in fornight's time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Anyone know how they go about measuring crowd number?

Would they estimate how many people pass a point during a certain time?

Length of march?

Software?

Banjo says you can trust him. He will explain best practice for doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Trust me, there was at LEAST 100K there today, at LEAST.

I am not a 'protest organiser' I simply attended with my father in-law.

Keep watching the media reports, it'll soon emerge who is right or wrong, the Gardai are making serious counting errors there.

I was in the middle myself, lovely to see the different walks of life coming out together..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

padma wrote: »
    I was in the middle myself, lovely to see the different walks of life coming out together..

You could do that at a GAA match in Croker and there would be nearly 3 times as many people there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Panoramic view of some the protester's.

30k me arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Well my father is 74 years of age and he said he is going to pay IW. He's afraid what will happen if he doesn't. It seems fear has taken hold on him now. He spent months saying he will not be giving his pps number to them or paying them, and now he coils up in fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Massive turnout at today's anti water charges march: Irish times on Twitter put it at 50.000 ' which means the number is actually higher; as my experience from attending past protests I know the media always plays the numbers attending.

30k me arse.

Agree. Not even 10k in that. Think the hill in Croke Park, packed tight, for comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

30k me arse.

It's a crap shot and looks like about 5k. You keep saying at least 100k and maybe there was but I'll wait for a better source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

If I thought that the water charges were an initiative to help and protect the environment I would be all for it, because it can't be denied that people are extremely wasteful when it comes to water usage and it would be good to have people more self-aware of how much they are actually using. However, we know the reason for this is not concern for the environment and the mess and waste they made implementing it and the way in which they are charging people and the fact that they are charging some and not others has just made it a joke. They talk about water conservation but don't seem to acknowledge the huge waste that occurs from pipes leaking as being a huge problem that needs addressing. As usual, it has been poorly thought out by those in charge.

• Advertisement

S.O wrote: »
    Massive turnout at today's anti water charges march: Irish times on Twitter put it at 50.000 ' which means the number is actually higher; as my experience from attending past protests I know the media always plays the numbers attending.

Is this all we're gonna hear? "They said 100k but you know the media :rolleyes: I'd say more like 8 bazzilion"

Well my father is 74 years of age and he said he is going to pay IW. He's afraid what will happen if he doesn't. It seems fear has taken hold on him now. He spent months saying he will not be giving his pps number to them or paying them, and now he coils up in fear.

Nice emotive language. What other utility bills terrify him?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    It's a crap shot and looks like about 5k. You keep saying at least 100k and maybe there was but I'll wait for a better source

Obviously missed the word some What better source would satisfy you btw:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He is probably on the Household Benefits Package. That €100 a year means he won't have to pay anything, if he is any way sensible with water usage. I am assuming he lives alone.

People should not break the law and get themselves into unnecessary stress and worry. And please don't start off all this nonsense about the elderly and fear. Some of the so called elderly are younger than Enda.

In fairness Kersplatt... I know you are into An Garda Siochain and all that, but why would the Guards come out lying today? Whats up with that?

Is this all we're gonna hear? "They said 100k but you know the media :rolleyes: I'd say more like 8 bazzilion"

Well, what you have to understand is that the media (yeh, all of em), are in favour of screwing the little guy and are in the hands of the government - so the must be lying. Protesters on the other hand, are extra experts in crowd number estimation, and totally unbiased in their reporting - they are only interested in the truth.

Obviously missed the word some What better source would satisfy you btw:confused:

Someone with a means of actually counting or experience in this kind of thing and not an anonymous person on the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

In other news :
    "4.6 million Irish people support new water charge system, and boycott protest in Dublin"
    Tiny minority turns out to protest.

Do you have evidence to support this claim?

If I thought that the water charges were an initiative to help and protect the environment I would be all for it, because it can't be denied that people are extremely wasteful when it comes to water usage and it would be good to have people more self-aware of how much they are actually using. However, we know the reason for this is not concern for the environment and the mess and waste they made implementing it and the way in which they are charging people and the fact that they are charging some and not others has just made it a joke. They talk about water conservation but don't seem to acknowledge the huge waste that occurs from pipes leaking as being a huge problem that needs addressing. As usual, it has been poorly thought out by those in charge.

As much is wasted by people running the tap while they brush their teeth as is lost in all the underground leaks. If charging for water reduced that wastage would it be a good thing?

In fairness Kersplatt... I know you are into An Garda Siochain and all that, but why would the Guards come out lying today? Whats up with that?

Exactly, why would they? I'd take their word over someone on the internet doing a quick head count of 100k+ people

• Advertisement

Someone with a means of actually counting or experience in this kind of thing and not an anonymous person on the internet

https://vine.co/v/OAprz9pwdza

So you trust An Garda Siochains 30000 estimate. I'd safely say there isnt a Guard who was there today who would believe that figure of 30000 Kersplatt..but you are welcome to believe what you like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Am I right that the Anti war demo from 10 years back looked a lot bigger by the current images

So you trust An Garda Siochains 30000 estimate. I'd safely say there isnt a Guard who was there today who would believe that figure of 30000 Kersplatt..but you are welcome to believe what you like :)

An individual Guard there to keep order would have no function in crowd counting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I wouldn't trust any of ye to count sheep, a thousand people looks a lot bigger on the street than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

By the time I got back to o'connell street after walking from there, to the Dail, around Stephens green, down Aungier and Georges St, down dame St back to the GPO, there were still people walking up the other side of o'connell street only starting an hour and a half later. That's the volume of people that attended

I wouldn't trust any of ye to count sheep, a thousand people looks a lot bigger on the street than you think.

Some of them are saying that the equivalent of 62% of the population of Donegal was there. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

great to see it was well supported. even if we cant agree on numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Some of them are saying that the equivalent of 62% of the population of Donegal was there. What do you think?
    Donegal Town maybe.

• Advertisement

Even if the 100k figure is right (it isn't) that's around 2% of the nation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement