Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

He is probably on the Household Benefits Package. That €100 a year means he won't have to pay anything, if he is any way sensible with water usage. I am assuming he lives alone.

People should not break the law and get themselves into unnecessary stress and worry. And please don't start off all this nonsense about the elderly and fear. Some of the so called elderly are younger than Enda.

He lives with his wife just the two of them. I asked him there was he on the household benefits package and he said he doesn't know. I'll print out the information regarding this package for him so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

As much is wasted by people running the tap while they brush their teeth as is lost in all the underground leaks. If charging for water reduced that wastage would it be a good thing?

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. What I'm saying is that to get people on board, I feel the government should make/have made the effort to repair any leaking water pipes, which account for a lot of water wastage, which would have made people more open and positive to the concept of paying for their water. I do think people should be paying for their water usage. People waste water all the time not just when 'brushing their teeth' because it is not something they have to think about paying for, just like when people were throwing everything in to one bin and not recycling until they introduced the idea of paying for the weight of rubbish left in the ordinary/main bin.
    Now, I'm aware that was as much for the environment as a money making scheme but it worked.

That crap that people come out with ''Ireland is surrounding by water'' ''It rains all the time'' is the most stupid argument I've ever heard and makes me so angry. Just because it rains often does not mean you don't need to conserve water, look at Dublin as an example. Like it or not we need to step up our game when it comes to water conservation, because it will become a serious issue in the future.
    However, I don't agree with the way the government handled it and how they are charging people, but I do believe that everyone and I mean everyone should be paying for water usage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

The government tell us all to save water, what a joke when 44% of this water is leaking away with old damaged pipes. The government or IW obviously don't want to save water as they won't/have not fixed the pipes, it's nuts telling us to do it, but they don't seem to give a feck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Great turnout today by people from all walks of life and from all corners of the country. Not just people playing to the tune of the lefties as some would say. If this crowd stay true to their word the plan to charge people for will fail.

Well done to all who got out and marched. The pro Irish water lads can pipe down a bit with their confidence that only a minority don't support the water charges. There are many more who couldn't make it to Dublin today for all sorts of reasons. Momentum is gathering and no doubt FG and Labour are worried this evening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The government tell us all to save water, what a joke when 44% of this water is leaking away with old damaged pipes. The government or IW obviously don't want to save water as they won't/have not fixed the pipes, it's nuts telling us to do it, but they don't seem to give a feck.

Yeah, it's almost as if it has been underfunded for decades or something.

I'm sure that the government could come up with some kind of way to pay for it. Maybe some manner of usage charge for water or something crazy like that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Even if the 100k figure is right (it isn't) that's around 2% of the nation.

wah wah wah....first the protesters are scroungers. Then when they are not, there's not enough of them.

I feel sorry for you. On here endlessly defending the likes of Irish water and thinking you are paying fairly and squarely for a utility. Then again, ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm not quite sure I understand your question. What I'm saying is that to get people on board, I feel the government should make/have made the effort to repair any leaking water pipes, which account for a lot of water wastage, which would have made people more open and positive to the concept of paying for their water. I do think people should be paying for their water usage. People waste water all the time not just when 'brushing their teeth' because it is not something they have to think about paying for, just like when people were throwing everything in to one bin and not recycling until they introduced the idea of paying for the weight of rubbish left in the ordinary/main bin.
    Now, I'm aware that was as much for the environment as a money making scheme but it worked.

That crap that people come out with ''Ireland is surrounding by water'' ''It rains all the time'' is the most stupid argument I've ever heard and makes me so angry. Just because it rains often does not mean you don't need to conserve water, look at Dublin as an example. Like it or not we need to step up our game when it comes to water conservation, because it will become a serious issue in the future.
    However, I don't agree with the way the government handled it and how they are charging people, but I do believe that everyone and I mean everyone should be paying for water usage.

That argument that it is only justified to charge for water when all the pipes have been fixed has been done to death here. Whether there is leakage or not most people are getting a good supply. I know the 30,000 population of Dundalk are. What about where you are, good water or not?

I agree with fixing the pipes, but it is not an either or. A new company has been set up with the aim of doing that as well as safeguarding the supply for a rapidly increasing population.

Charging for water is not going to change the behaviour of many people anyway judging by the enormous food waste and their attitude to simple things like saving electricity. But I am for it because even if I have to pay it (as a PAYE worker) it means others who have been paying for nothing (directly I mean) now at least have to pay property tax and water charges.

He lives with his wife just the two of them. I asked him there was he on the household benefits package and he said he doesn't know. I'll print out the information regarding this package for him so.

He will get the €100 extra automatically if he is on it, €25 every quarter. No need to do anything.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    RTE news says "thousands" I think you're overestimating.

RTE, lol are you really going to take their word on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

according to the usual facebook rabble 200,000 to 250,000 turned out and IW will be dismantled by Monday .

• Advertisement

I saw that the campaign was running one bus from Galway. Have you any idea how many buses came from the county? That could be one means of doing a very rough estimate of the turnout.

Great turnout today by people from all walks of life and from all corners of the country. Not just people playing to the tune of the lefties as some would say. If this crowd stay true to their word the plan to charge people for will fail.

Well done to all who got out and marched. The pro Irish water lads can pipe down a bit with their confidence that only a minority don't support the water charges. There are many more who couldn't make it to Dublin today for all sorts of reasons. Momentum is gathering and no doubt FG and Labour are worried this evening.

Even if it was 100k then that is still only 2% of the population. Last time I checked that's a fairly tiny minority

Yeah, it's almost as if it has been underfunded for decades or something.

I'm sure that the government could come up with some kind of way to pay for it. Maybe some manner of usage charge for water or something crazy like that

Underfunded. Bollox.

It's gripped by the same inefficient incompetence as every other public utility in the state.

But yeah, lets start paying for water and everything will magically get better!

What about the likes of Irish Rail / Dublin bus, who, despite numerous price hikes are still in dire straits? Maybe if we charge people more things will improve....LOL NOPE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Even if it was 100k then that is still only 2% of the population. Last time I checked that's a fairly tiny minority

Denial.

More than just an African River.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Gatling wrote: »
    according to the usual facebook rabble 200,000 to 250,000 turned out and IW will be dismantled by Monday .

Yeah I had a look at their Facebook page just to see what ridiculous figure they came out with. I'd imagine that the real figure is somewhere between 80,000-100,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Fantastic turnout today. Hopefully the beginning of the end of IW and this corrupt government.

keith16 wrote: »
    Underfunded. Bollox.

It's gripped by the same inefficient incompetence as every other public utility in the state.

But yeah, lets start paying for water and everything will magically get better!

What about the likes of Irish Rail / Dublin bus, who, despite numerous price hikes are still in dire straits? Maybe if we charge people more things will improve....LOL NOPE.

Did you miss the recession that made passenger numbers plummet because of less people working and/or taking shopping trips?

Or the fact that more people than ever (1m+) have been given free travel

Phoebas wrote: »
    We all know how this script goes.
    The organisers claim a hugely exaggerated number, the official Garda figures are much lower and the protesters claim the Garda are lying under instruction from the government.

The Gardai have been shafted aswell. The question has been put to them today, are they going to stand with the people or support the Govenment in this.

Their call.

Denial.

More than just an African River.

What exactly am I denying? I'm even basing my calculations on the protesters figures

The Gardai have been shafted aswell. The question has been put to them today, are they going to stand with the people or support the Govenment in this.

Their call.

They won't be picking sides. They'll just carry on doing their job like they always do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Sorry, I don't understand this?

You can think of any number of reasons. Give me two you thought of.

Ok, one it may be (financially) profitable for them to do so.

Two they are owned by someone with an agenda and so instead of being an impartial reporter of the news they report from an angle.

And a bonus one they do it for fun in a 'trolling' manner a la the redtops.

Their call.

Of all the utter nonsense here, and there is lots, that is the worst ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Gatling wrote: »
    In fairness they would be the protest organisers of all time if they came out afterwards and said there was only a handful of nutters at it.

zanador wrote: »
    You can think of any number of reasons. Give me two you thought of.

Ok, one it may be (financially) profitable for them to do so.

Two they are owned by someone with an agenda and so instead of being an impartial reporter of the news they report from an angle.

And a bonus one they do it for fun in a 'trolling' manner a la the redtops.[/QUOTE]

Now apply that to RTE and prove that any of those are not just fantasy. You can't say a media organisation MAY have an agenda and just leave it up in the air. You have to prove what you are on about, not force others to prove the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

That argument that it is only justified to charge for water when all the pipes have been fixed has been done to death here. Whether there is leakage or not most people are getting a good supply. I know the 30,000 population of Dundalk are. What about where you are, good water or not?

I agree with fixing the pipes, but it is not an either or. A new company has been set up with the aim of doing that as well as safeguarding the supply for a rapidly increasing population.

Charging for water is not going to change the behaviour of many people anyway judging by the enormous food waste and their attitude to simple things like saving electricity. But I am for it because even if I have to pay it (as a PAYE worker) it means others who have been paying for nothing (directly I mean) now at least have to pay property tax and water charges.
    I didn't mean to insinuate that it was an either or situation, of course both should be done (leaks fixed/ charges for water usage).

Did you miss the recession that made passenger numbers plummet because of less people working and/or taking shopping trips?

Or the fact that more people than ever (1m+) have been given free travel

Yeah actually, I did miss the recession fortunately, like many many more who continued employment during it.

Since your so good at maths and percentages and stuff, explain how passenger numbers have "plummeted" and Irish Rail continues to be in trouble despite the recovery?

Why are most pubs empty these days while the VFI are to be heard crying on the radio about supermarkets and Wetherspoons?

It's always cries of "the recession" with the likes of Irish Rail or the VFI. Yet when the normal Joe Soap brings it or dares speak up they are dismissed as "dole lifers" and scroungers. So spare me the fucking duplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Yeah I had a look at their Facebook page just to see what ridiculous figure they came out with. I'd imagine that the real figure is somewhere between 80,000-100,000.

Garda are saying 'up to 30000'.
    rte wrote:

Organisers estimated that up to 100,000 people took part.
    It is understood gardaí estimated the attendance at up to 30,000

Still a good turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Their call.

They'll continue to support the democratically elected government.
    Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Phoebas wrote: »
    Garda are saying 'up to 30000'.

Still a good turnout.

Where did they say that?

I've been on marches where the gardai estimated 10k and I can tell you now there was well over three times those numbers out there today

Probably the biggest crowd since the anti war protest in 2002. Which RTE described as huge back then :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Now apply that to RTE and prove that any of those are not just fantasy. You can't say a media organisation MAY have an agenda and just leave it up in the air. You have to prove what you are on about, not force others to prove the opposite.

No, I don't. I can say that I choose not to blindly believe what one individual source says to me. I won't just listen to RTE to find about about something. I'll read a few papers, some articles online, come on boards.ie ;) and be able to make a much more informed opinion. Making an opinion based upon ONE source is what I'm arguing against - it wasn't me assuming RTE was corrupt that was other posters. (although I don't assume they're not)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement