Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Thanks for your honest answer. In all fairness though, it's votes that count at the end of the day, and if there was 100,000 folk there, I think this is a big worry for the government.

You're right. And in other news today, Paul Murphy was elected in Dublin South-West after running a mainly Anti-water charges campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

So angry :(

Show me on the doll where the publican/train touched you

This is why I can't take you seriously.

I saw you thanked a post by someone else who said it was hard to take debate seriously when one side would resort to saying something like "moany Joany" or something like that.

That's fair enough. But yet here you are with this childish nonsense....did someone touch me??? FFS.

Once again, one side of the argument is characterised by duplicity and hypocrisy.

Where did the publican/train touch me? At least make it sound coherent.

EDIT: Only see Mod warning now. I'm finished, no more on this from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Phoebas wrote: »
    The Gardai are lying about the figure at the behest of the government. Fair enough Banjo - is the tinfoil hat a comfortable fit?

funnily enough 'crowd counting' is a real science (as bizarre as it sounds) and cops the world over are specifically told to underestimate at protests to stop late swells that could over power them. its a tactic thats been used by the met in london to great (depending on your POV) affect.

so yes, its done all the time by cops at protests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Worried that their dream Irish Water project will be scrapped. It will fail spectacularly judging by today's crowd if most don't pay. I can think of the other hundreds of thousands around the country who didn't march today. Word will spread back to them and they will be lifted by today's action and feel confident in not paying knowing there are thousands of others taking the same action.

Equally, maybe not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

And as I am always moved to remark on these occasions. Look, Mary Lou has sent her messenger boy along.

And here we go again, another wild observation and frankly a bit insulting tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Phoebas wrote: »
    I already answered twice and provided a link.

Nah you didn't. You linked to RTEs website, which has this:
    It is understood gardaí estimated the attendance at up to 30,000.

Thats classic journo speak for unattributed speculation

Now, third time of asking, and maybe read the question carefully:

Where did the gardai give a figure for the numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

50% of any the figures given here today is a big amount.....this comment by you is disgraceful to all those who legitimately protested today. most people in this country at the moment are struggling to pay bills and morgtages and you make a comment that because they cant afford to pay there bills they are either left wing sinn fein tax dodgers or weed smoking hippies. you obviously live in a different world to the ordinary hard working person of this country who are on their knees due to debt that was put on us by the former government

Look at the pictures on facebook, rabble.ie have them if you're like me and don't know anyone at the protest, you'll known in your heart that I'm right about the make up if the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Bambi wrote: »
    Nah you didn't. You linked to RTEs website, which has this:

Thats classic journo speak for unattributed speculation

Now, third time of asking, and maybe read the question carefully:

Where did the gardai give a figure for the numbers?

From The Journal.ie

"The gardaí would not confirm the numbers of today’s protest, stating that they would not be making an estimate."

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

AGS on Twitter are saying "no figures available im afraid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

42 000 000 it is then

(or just banjo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Look at the pictures on facebook, rabble.ie have them if you're like me and don't know anyone at the protest, you'll known in your heart that I'm right about the make up if the crowd

i was at the protest...i dont take drugs...i work 6 days a week and pay my taxes...and i protested today against the water charges....i had every right to do so as well. but you just pigeon holed me as a drug taking tax dodger.... i have more than 1 friend who is currently having their homes repossessed. homes that they where very easily paying for before the debt of anglo was put on the citizens of ireland. and im not talking about big fancy mansions. im talking about low standard housing in not so great areas...and guess what...they worked hard and dont take drugs either

so to try rubbish what happened today with comments like yours is sickening.

From The Journal.ie

"The gardaí would not confirm the numbers of today’s protest, stating that they would not be making an estimate."
    Muir wrote: »
    AGS on Twitter are saying "no figures available im afraid."

Says it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

keith16 wrote: »
    Says it all.

Says that they aren't releasing figures. What do you think it says?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

It was said before the protest that if a huge crowd turned out,then the usual (RTE & AGS) wouldn't comment on numbers.

There's a few here that are gutted so many turned out.

zerks wrote: »
    It was said before the protest that if a huge crowd turned out,then the usual (RTE & AGS) wouldn't comment on numbers.

Could there be other reasons why they'd hold back the info? Genuinely interested. As I said before, I wasn't there but more power to the people that were

and for no reason at all to do with the charges, purely so they can feel vindicated in their derision of others standing up for what they believe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Why do YOU think they're not?

Edit: just saw you asking the same of someone else above!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

i was at the protest...i dont take drugs...i work 6 days a week and pay my taxes...and i protested today against the water charges....i had every right to do so as well. but you just pigeon holed me as a drug taking tax dodger.... i have more than 1 friend who is currently having their homes repossessed. homes that they where very easily paying for before the debt of anglo was put on the citizens of ireland. and im not talking about big fancy mansions. im talking about low standard housing in not so great areas...and guess what...they worked hard and dont take drugs either

so to try rubbish what happened today with comments like yours is sickening.

Me too...was at the protest...first weekend ive had off since early August. Comments like you quoted show the brainwashing and fantasy land some people live in.. no respect for Irish people at all in our wonderful demographic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

He lives with his wife just the two of them. I asked him there was he on the household benefits package and he said he doesn't know. I'll print out the information regarding this package for him so.

Bongalong as he is over 70 hes entitled to €35 per month towards his light bill, a free tv license, free travel for him and a companion aged over 16 and next year €100 towards his water bill. He may also be entitled to €20 per week fuel allowance and a medical card unless he snd his wife have more than €900 per week income. If he wants the €100 water money he will have to complete the applocation form.

Could there be other reasons why they'd hold back the info? Genuinely interested. As I said before, I wasn't there but more power to the people that were

Toeing the government line imo.The govt. will do anything to downplay the opposition to this charge.

• Advertisement

Exactly this:

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Toeing the government line imo.The govt. will do anything to downplay the opposition to this charge.

Perhaps rather than toe the line and under count they abstained?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Looking forward to the November 1st national day of protest when this movement sweeps through the land. Upcoming Budget might take some spark out of it but hopefully people can see past the sweeteners whatever they may be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Great turnout today by people from all walks of life and from all corners of the country. Not just people playing to the tune of the lefties as some would say. If this crowd stay true to their word the plan to charge people for will fail.

Well done to all who got out and marched. The pro Irish water lads can pipe down a bit with their confidence that only a minority don't support the water charges. There are many more who couldn't make it to Dublin today for all sorts of reasons. Momentum is gathering and no doubt FG and Labour are worried this evening.

I wanted to be there today and well done to all who came out. I hope there's more of it.

I'm sitting on the fence in the middle in relation to water charges. I would have been able to swallow a flat rate for water so much more easier than metering. The reason for these water charges is to close the deficit. I think going about setting up a quango and installing meters was just jobs for the boys type of thing when the country is supposed to be broke.

The water charges is a measure brought in to close the deficit. With many more countries like uk, and some other european countries and the usa with similar problems to us like sovereign debt, deficits, large unemployment, the problem is so deep and goes back to the way money is made creating boom and bust cycles.

I'll watch the news at 9 with interest. It should get plenty of air time, we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

From the RTE website
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1011/651606-water-charges/
    Organisers estimated that up to 100,000 people took part.
    It is understood gardaí estimated the attendance at up to 30,000.

Looks to me like the militant subversive left are up to their usual tricks, with their claims being 300% out , in their favour.
    The usual "something for nothing" brigade blocking the capitals main street and causing traffic mayhem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Looking forward to the November 1st national day of protest when this movement sweeps through the land. Upcoming Budget might take some spark out of it but hopefully people can see past the sweeteners whatever they may be.

I wish this protest day would be brought forward a week with cut off point for signing up being the 31st of this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Bongalong as he is over 70 hes entitled to €35 per month towards his light bill, a free tv license, free travel for him and a companion aged over 16 and next year €100 towards his water bill. He may also be entitled to €20 per week fuel allowance and a medical card unless he snd his wife have more than €900 per week income. If he wants the €100 water money he will have to complete the applocation form.

Thanks mrsbyrne I asked him again was he getting these entitlements, and he said he was. So he's on the household benefits package. He's not great with the memory but he understands now so all good. I told him the situation regarding the €100 towards his water bill.

Cheers.

Revenue got involved with the LPT and dipped into people's wages,this is different.People have had enough. The USC was meant to be temporary & we see no sign of it going.LPT was meant to go on services,so far I've seen zero change despite the fancy brochure that came through my letterbox.
    Water charges which just seem to be there to pay the set up & wages plus bonuses of IW staff. Not a penny seems to be going to actually provide decent drinking water - ask the residents of Galway,Roscommon & South Wexford.

The population is broke yet the govt. blindly see them as a cash cow to be milked again & again.This time thousands upon thousands stood up & said no.

• Advertisement

Looks to me like the militant subversive left are up to their usual tricks, with their claims being 300% out , in their favour.
    The usual "something for nothing" brigade blocking the capitals main street and causing traffic mayhem.

HOW DARE THESE PROLES VOICE THEIR OPINION ON SOMETHING THAT WILL AFFECT THEIR FUTURE GENERATIONS :eek::eek::eek:

In other news today: 50,000 protesters had an iphone 6 despite an estimated turnout of 12 people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement