Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Who are these plenty of other service providers you keep writing about? Do any of them use meters? Do any of them have to give an allowance rather than use the meter figure?

Your dishonest friends may claim for loads of people not living at their address but the cross checking will ensure that if those people get the allowance at that address they won't get it anywhere else.

The ESB for one, Phone and Broadband for another.
    What dishonest friends ? are you getting that desperate now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Ogham wrote: »
    1 Other service provviders just send out bills - they aren't too bothered exactly who you are as long as they have a name and address and they get paid. They have their own reference numbers etc etc. They don't have to be able to potentially cross check with welfare or revenue to see if a person exists.

2 - The free allowance is ONE per house not 1 per person. If someone had 2 homes and they said their adult son lived in the second home (but he is really overseas) and gave his PPS number - then there is a chance they might get the free allowance. BUT - they would have to lie on the form obviously and say he lived there all the time. That would be fraud - and it will happen but using PPS will help reduce it.

(This is My last reply )

Farewell. We are dealing here with professional legal practitioners (at least in one case) as well as amateur lawyers. It was much the same for the Household Charge discussions but a lot of people who swore they would never pay (including some TD's) probably did pay in the end.

EunanMac wrote: »
    The ESB for one, Phone and Broadband for another.
    What dishonest friends ? are you getting that desperate now ?

The ones you said would claim for people not living at the address. If there aren't any of them it won't be an issue. I pay whatever is on the bill for my phone and ESB. There could be one person or twenty people using their service, they don't need to adjust the bill.

The ones you said would claim for people not living at the address. If there aren't any of them it won't be an issue. I pay whatever is on the bill for my phone and ESB. There could be one person or twenty people using their service, they don't need to adjust the bill.

You claimed I had dishonest friends, why are you lying ?

I thought all you guys were on the same side.

I actually was logging on to post the same quote and source as dx, but kudos to him he saved me the bother.

Let me point it out to you......

If you do not have a PPS number, you can contact your local social welfare office for details on how to apply for one, or a bank may accept a copy of your birth certificate instead.

Or, long story short, you don't need a pps no in order to open a bank account. It may be handier to give one, but it's not a necessity.

And that's not me saying that, that's taken from http://www.consumerhelp.ie/opening-an-account

Thank you for your advice. But as a lawyer what is your interpretation of the word "may" in this context? Could it possibly mean that a bank also may not accept a birth cert. I know all financial institutions have a space for the PPS number on their account opening forms so it may be that they expect this to be provided as the default position. In legal speak the word "will" should have been used there if that is what the banks have agreed to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

srsly78 wrote: »
    The Irish public debt, incurred because everyone went full retard on property.

How many unregistered landlords are gonna get caught out by this pps number thing I wonder?
    Theres an interesting point. Id like to see the figures re: actual unpaid mortgages vs bondholders losses etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You only need pps number for an interest paying account. Not for a normal current account.

You only need pps number for an interest paying account. Not for a normal current account.

Why is that?

Because there are tax implications: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/dirt/

Because there are tax implications: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/dirt/

Thank you. Would you have any concerns about data protection in providing your PPS number to a private company like a bank or Irish Water?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Just dropping in to see is dxhound rooting for the establishment as usual .. and yep he's at it again. The lads in power can do no wrong.

Just dropping in to see is dxhound rooting for the establishment as usual .. and yep he's at it again. The lads in power can do no wrong.

Have you started building that house yet? Any recent developments up at FG HQ?

Thank you. Would you have any concerns about data protection in providing your PPS number to a private company like a bank or Irish Water?

No concerns. Providing your details for stuff is pretty normal, and required by law in many circumstances. We have data protection legislation for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Wailin

Just for the record, I am pro water charges and feel we should have had them years ago but I am not a FG supporter - doesn't mean I won't vote for one of them sometime if I like what they are doing as I'm fickle that way and a real floating voter. Trying to label posters because of their views is a poor argument.

Just out of curiosity, why are you pro water charges? Are you actually naive enough to think it will improve water quality? It's just another tax that the government can raise at budgets and make normal living for a high percentage of people in this country extremely unbearable. Were you pro property tax too?

Wailin wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, why are you pro water charges? Are you actually naive enough to think it will improve water quality? It's just another tax that the government can raise at budgets and make normal living for a high percentage of people in this country extremely unbearable. Were you pro property tax too?

How high is that percentage?

Nobody likes paying tax. Some people seem to be pro-deficit however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Nobody likes paying tax. Some people seem to be pro-deficit however.

Pro who's deficit ?

So you were lying as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Have you started building that house yet? Any recent developments up at FG HQ?

No all is quiet around there, havnt enough posters collected to build the house.

Give us a sip of some of that power when the boys in FG finally reward you for your years of hard work defending them in the online world

• Advertisement

Irish Water are 100% state owned - not a private company in the way I think you mean. They are not the same as a bank (then again the state own a fair bit of them too!)

So you were lying as well

:confused:

No all is quiet around there, havnt enough posters collected to build the house.

Give us a sip of some of that power when the boys in FG finally reward you for your years of hard work defending them in the online world

I fear that nobody noticed except yourself so it has been a bit of a fools errand. Especially when they will be turfed out and all the anti austerity people will be undoing what I fought so hard for.

:confused:

You claimed it was your last post

:D
    You claimed it was your last post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'll pay the water charge only after irish water give me a functioning stopcock and a waste pipe from our bathroom that doesn't require unblocking by a drain company every two months on the dot.

The pipe is a public one and is unblocked by the council fir me. They know the problem with it, they also know the stopcock is broken but i've been told to wait for irish water to be in charge, as 'they'll have the money'.
    So i've no way of turning off water to my home if they're an emergency and a waste pipe that needs replacing.

I have no fairh that this company is going to do anything worthwhile.
    And when they're part of a tribunal in years to come i, for one, won't be surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭Wailin

How high is that percentage?

That statement wasn't directed at you, but I am sure you know the figures well enough being a pawn for FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Thank you for your advice. But as a lawyer what is your interpretation of the word "may" in this context? Could it possibly mean that a bank also may not accept a birth cert. I know all financial institutions have a space for the PPS number on their account opening forms so it may be that they expect this to be provided as the default position. In legal speak the word "will" should have been used there if that is what the banks have agreed to.

Personally, I would think the killer word in there would be "instead"
    Why is that?

It is to do with DIRT, so tied with revenue/tax payments.

Did you even read the details in the link you provided, because from where I'm sitting, it doesn't look like it.

and now you're a proven liar

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    That statement wasn't directed at you, but I am sure you know the figures well enough being a pawn for FG.

What percentage though?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement