Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Sounds very undemocratic tbh, hardly something any Govt party should be proud of concocting.

If any government allowed it's citizens to break the law because they voted for the opposition, democracy would collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Pocoyo wrote: »
    The ''real world'' always bites after hours regulars in the ass. :D

In the 'real world' we do have water charges with bills due to drop on doormats in a few months time.

As impressive as the turnout was today, the campaign needs to be harnessed or else today's protesters will just be ignored (or at best, there might be concessions for some of the worst off).
    Is there a follow up plan - other than 'no consent; no contract'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Personally, my follow up plan is to ignore any bill .

If, like the hhc , 470,000 follow suit, Irish Water are screwed (and I suspect so are the Govt)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Anyone know what happens if one does not pay or register to become . Custome . ?
    Will they cut off the water supply. ?

adrian92 wrote: »
    Anyone know what happens if one does not pay or register to become . Custome . ?

They cut off your supply of question marks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

If, like the hhc , 470,000 follow suit, Irish Water are screwed (and I suspect so are the Govt)

And taxes will just go up in some other area to make up the difference while we still have a crap water infrastructure.

Well done guys, you "win". You don't have to pay a water bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They say they'll reduce your supply to 'a trickle' if you don't pay. Something that can be undone in less than 10 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

And taxes will just go up in some other area to make up the difference while we still have a crap water infrastructure.

If the money from the LPT wasn't handed over to bondholders and actually spent on what was promised we'd have a grand water infrastructure with no need for another quango.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

but a precious natural resource would still be in our hands. sometimes its the deal involved thats the issue, not always the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Still not seeing the big picture here?

• Advertisement

I think it will need more than that. Following that strategy, at some point the >1m who are paying their bills will start demanding action against the 470000 who aren't.

They say they'll reduce your supply to 'a trickle' if you don't pay. Something that can be undone in less than 10 minutes

actually irish water themselves have back tracked on that and questioned where hogan got the idea.

ring them and ask, thats what you'll be told.

actually irish water themselves have back tracked on that and questioned where hogan got the idea.

ring them and ask, thats what you'll be told.

When? It part of the legislation, that's where the "idea" came from.

zerks wrote: »
    If the money from the LPT wasn't handed over to bondholders and actually spent on what was promised we'd have a grand water infrastructure with no need for another quango.

Yeah - we were just on the verge of having great water infrastructure before the banking collapse. :p

When? It part of the legislation, that's where the "idea" came from.

its some where a few pages back in this thread. if i can hunt it out ill post the info.

in the mean time, here's one of many phone calls on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSo8Qoq_bzc

• Registered Users Posts: 51,941 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Phoebas wrote: »
    I think it will need more than that. Following that strategy, at some point the >1m who are paying their bills will start demanding action against the 470000 who aren't.

No. Human nature would make them say "if they're not paying, neither am I".

Thanks name . I am slow to regisiter as , what they call . " customer " .
    Probably get cut off. Hopefully can get advise how to get the water back on.

but a precious natural resource would still be in our hands.

Obviously not that precious. Some people aren't willing to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Thanks name . I am slow to regisiter as , what they call . " customer " .
    Probably get cut off. Hopefully can get advise how to get the water back on.

Citizen = consumer = customer (i believe) was how their (Irish Waters) flowchart went.

• Advertisement

Obviously not that precious. Some people aren't willing to pay for it.

most arent willing to pay a company/body (or whatever its supposed to be) thats held by private investors.

i personally wouldnt mind paying a flat yearly fee IF we saw improvements to the current system and IF it was a state service. metering water is a joke and will cause misery to quite a few families. that is fact.

i know some dont agree with paying a penny and i understand their reasoning (if its intelligent).

but i certainly wont pay a penny to a private clongomerate for water.

its some where a few pages back in this thread. if i can hunt it out ill post the info.

in the mean time, here's one of many phone calls on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSo8Qoq_bzc

This is what the Regulator says. I would take that over any phone call.

http://www.cer.ie/docs/000956/CER14364%20Irish%20Water%20Customer%20Handbook.pdf

7.10 Reduction in supply if persistent refusal to pay arrears
    7.10.1 Irish Water must operate their business to ensure that an account holder’s water supply is reduced only as a measure of last resort when all other methods of arrears repayment have been exhausted.
    7.10.2 The reduction of supply shall entail a reduction of supply only to a level that allows an account holder to meet basic domestic needs, but there shall be no time restrictions to this water supply reduction (that is, 24 hours supply will continue). Basic domestic needs shall be defined by Irish Water, and approved by the CER.
    7.10.3 Irish Water may reduce water supply to a domestic property where an account holder has;
     accumulated arrears, and
     has not reached an agreement on a payment plan with Irish Water, despite attempts by Irish Water on more than one occasion, or
     failed on more than one occasion to make the required payments on an agreed payment plan.

No. Human nature would make them say "if they're not paying, neither am I".
    That'd be a high risk strategy.

I'm obviously on the other side of the fence to the people who demonstrated today, but it seems like it would be a bit of a waste if after demonstrating that they can get large numbers of people to actively participate, they reverted to a strategy based around inactivity.

http://www.cer.ie/docs/000956/CER14364%20Irish%20Water%20Customer%20Handbook.pdf

7.10 Reduction in supply if persistent refusal to pay arrears
    7.10.1 Irish Water must operate their business to ensure that an account holder’s water supply is reduced only as a measure of last resort when all other methods of arrears repayment have been exhausted.
    7.10.2 The reduction of supply shall entail a reduction of supply only to a level that allows an account holder to meet basic domestic needs, but there shall be no time restrictions to this water supply reduction (that is, 24 hours supply will continue). Basic domestic needs shall be defined by Irish Water, and approved by the CER.
    7.10.3 Irish Water may reduce water supply to a domestic property where an account holder has;
     accumulated arrears, and
     has not reached an agreement on a payment plan with Irish Water, despite attempts by Irish Water on more than one occasion, or
     failed on more than one occasion to make the required payments on an agreed payment plan.

ive no idea then :confused:

out of interest. i live in an apartment block with 1 main pump and then a larger pump house down stairs. how exactly do they turn my supply to a trickle when the distribution is split after the mains?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Did Burton not say during the week that nobodies water will be cut off as its not legally allowed to be cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Does it mention anything about people turning their supply back to full after the IW goons have been round to reduce it?

That's going to be one pointless and expensive game of cat & mouse.

Other countries the government fears the people.

We Irish seem to live in fear of the government.

We do not seem to understand that we have given our leaders a temporary job - termination at our discretion monitor

Other countries the government fears the people.

We Irish seem to live in fear of the government.

We do not seem to understand that we have given our leaders a temporary job - termination at our discretion monitor

i think if we had a better apparatus to fight them, more might stand up. as it stands its very hard for that one important voice to rise above the rabble.

Does it mention anything about people turning their supply back to full after the IW goons have been round to reduce it?

Do you call the employees of other utility companies 'goons'?

• Advertisement

It might get to the point of calling in the bailiffs. I see that is happening now for a few hundred HHC outliers. The vast majority of reasonable people pay their utility bills without any such palaver.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement