Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Do you call the employees of other utility companies 'goons'?

Only clampers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Pictures emerging of the protesters on facebook,

50% are what I like to call the 'Sinn Fein left' these people are walking proof that you can identify someone who doesn't pay any tax just by looking at their photo, look for the 'confused resting face' it's a mixture between a squint and a gurn that's been embedded into their faces ever since they were introduced to long division back in 5th class. For some reason these people have brought their kids along, it's hard to tell who's more confused about the situation.

50% are ponytailed, poncho wearing pot smokers who in fairness are better informed than the shower above, but they'll all bottle it and pay so there's not much point to them being there and Enda Kenny couldn't care less about their opinion.

I'll post proof of the second group first to allow people a chance to recant before I prove my post most in it's entirety.
    These photos are orginally from the rabble facebook page so they're already in the public domain but I've obscured their identity further to prevent issues with the mods.

http://i.imgur.com/gWCzq4J.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/91yXlHB.jpg

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

I wonder the value of selling off IW to some, perhaps not a nice person.

Dear Sir or Madam, I have One million meters , each one yielding £500.

Anyone like to buy this ? Immediate sale!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

most arent willing to pay a company/body (or whatever its supposed to be) thats held by private investors.

i personally wouldnt mind paying a flat yearly fee IF we saw improvements to the current system and IF it was a state service. metering water is a joke and will cause misery to quite a few families. that is fact.

i know some dont agree with paying a penny and i understand their reasoning (if its intelligent).

but i certainly wont pay a penny to a private clongomerate for water.

You wont mind paying Irish Water then. It isnt a conglomerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I'll post proof of the second group first to allow people a chance to recant before I prove my post most in it's entirety.
    These photos are orginally from the rabble facebook page so they're already in the public domain but I've obscured their identity further to prevent issues with the mods.

QED

So the first image shows 50% of the crowd and the second image the other 50%

You do realise that there were more than 2 people there?

• Advertisement

eeepaulo wrote: »
    So the first image shows 50% of the crowd and the second image the other 50%

You do realise that there were more than 2 people there?

No it shows two people that are part of the second group I suggested would make up 50% (which is of course a slight exaggeration for the sake of empahasis) of the crowd. You've missed the part where I said I was only talking about my second group and also seem to expect me to produce images of everyone in the crowd. I am aware there was more than 2 people there, 30,000 is the figure I've heard. Though the same groups who told us about the 'no contract' nonsense are claiming 100,000 I trust the actual figure is somewhere at the lower end of that scale. Still though, I think we can agree that the people claiming that my two subgroups were ludicrous caricatures were off the mark themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

Someone mentioned earlier that unless there is plan B or some follow through by the organisers, then today's protest will be ignored by the government. I believe that this is probably very true.

There was an incident a couple of years ago where a member of the public went on hunger strike at the gates of the Dail. In fact didn't he chain himself to the gates?

It took 10 days before a member of the government approached him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

hiFidelity wrote: »
    Someone mentioned earlier that unless there is plan B or some follow through by the organisers, then today's protest will be ignored by the government. I believe that this is probably very true.

There was an incident a couple of years ago where a member of the public went on hunger strike at the gates of the Dail. In fact didn't he chain himself to the gates?

He stood in the by election in Dublin. How many votes did he get?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Never mind what the organisers of the demonstration do. Plan A is to continue the already decentralised campaign of obstruction of water meter installation. Plan B is mass non-payment.

That is where the power lies.

Mass demonstrations are essentially powerless.

coolemon wrote: »
    Never mind what the organisers of the demonstration do. Plan A is to continue the decentralised campaign in the obstruction of water meter installation. Plan B is mass non-payment.

That is where the power lies.

Mass demonstrations are essentially powerless.

Why bother with Plan A? Even if all the meters were to be dug up you would still have to go to Plan B.

• Advertisement

Why bother with Plan A? Even if all the meters were to be dug up you would still have to go to Plan B.

Not really. One of the main justifications used by the state is that the meters are being used for conservation purposes. If they just gave an estimated bill to everyone because of the success of plan A, an important justification would be undermined.

Secondly, it is important to obstruct the infrastructure used for the commodification of water and ensure such a capacity to commodify does not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

As someone who pays the salary of our Government through my taxes, I'm quite comfortable with them ignoring crackpots like this and concentrating on more important matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

So how do you know it's 'surely the biggest in decades'?

What does it matter to you?

Not really. One of the main justifications used by the state is that the meters are being used for conservation purposes. If they just gave an estimated bill to everyone because of the success of plan A, an important justification would be undermined.

Secondly, it is important to obstruct the infrastructure used for the commodification of water and ensure such a capacity to commodify does not exist.

Meters certainly aid conservation. Maybe the government could go to a Plan B. Like in England link the water charge to the property tax, the more property tax you pay the more you pay for water. England is mostly unmetered.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

QED

yeah just look at all these hardened radicals ;)

http://m2.dmlimg.com/MDRjYjEyMTE2YjA0MWUwZTAzNzliOTExODQyNzVjMDDxY8vS6clpJDSSnWmaWiKNaHR0cDovL2MyLnRoZWpvdXJuYWwuaWUvbWVkaWEvMjAxNC8xMC9uYXRpb25hbC13YXRlci1wcm90ZXN0LWFnYWluc3Qtd2F0ZXItMTEuanBnfDYwNXx8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpg

don't embarrass yourself any further yeah? Just move on to the next untenable position

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

As someone who pays the salary of our Government through my taxes, I'm quite comfortable with them ignoring crackpots like this and concentrating on more important matters.

How profound and thought provoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Bambi wrote: »

Boards.ie never disappoints me in the amount of fruitcakes it seems to attract. :)

Meters certainly aid conservation. Maybe the government could go to a Plan B. Like in England link the water charge to the property tax, the more property tax you pay the more you pay for water. England is mostly unmetered.

They do aid in conservation. But I do not believe this is a genuine justification, or the real reason for the imposition of water charges at this point in time.

This would be the view of the protesters. And by attempting Plan A they are undermining conservation as a justification by the state.

I understand the revenue are in somewhat in control of Irish Water (or the department is). We cannot know what the state has up its sleeve. But it would be prudent for the protesters to use multiple approaches to resist the water charges at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I would be one of the first to take the piss out of protesters usually but fair play here

About time we did protest,whether its of benefit or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

I would be one of the first to take the piss out of protesters usually but fair play here

About time we did protest,whether its of benefit or not

• Advertisement

They do aid in conservation. But I do not believe this is a genuine justification, or the real reason for the imposition of water charges at this point in time.

This would be the view of the protesters. And by attempting Plan A they are undermining conservation as a justification by the state.

I understand the revenue are in somewhat in control of Irish Water (or the department is). We cannot know what the state has up its sleeve. But it would be prudent for the protesters to use multiple approaches to resist the water charges at this time.

There is a flaw in your Plan B anyway. It will involve mass lawbreaking. None of the main parties including SF will support this. Neither will the trade unions who helped organise the march. They are against the charge but they will not support lawbreakers. So that just leaves the fringe. How are they going to get mass non-payment organised?

Today's protest and election results will give many the courage to join up. Nervy times ahead for the Coalition.

Bambi wrote: »

I never called anyone a hardened radical,but don't let reading comprehension get in the way of your agenda. Plenty of those 2-3 day old 'unemployment beards' and gormless facial expressions that make it easy to pick out the first group I highlighted.

There is a flaw in your Plan B anyway. It will involve mass lawbreaking. None of the main parties including SF will support this. Neither will the trade unions who helped organise the march. They are against the charge but they will not support lawbreakers. So that just leaves the fringe. How are they going to get mass non-payment organised?

I don't think there is a flaw at all. The types of people this charge is being imposed on wouldn't mind or have anything to lose by spending a day or two in prison. Indeed there has been 70-80 arrests already.

And don't overestimate the importance of Sinn Fein. Their "core constituency" in Jobstown had a 20% turn out today. Sinn Fein will be disposed of if they do a turncoat on the people. The people are asserting actual power on the streets and they are aware of that. They don't have time nor the patience to wait for the next GE to defeat this charge when their own power is in reach.

I don't think there is a flaw at all. The types of people this charge is being imposed on wouldn't mind or have anything to lose by spending a day or two in prison. Indeed there has been 70-80 arrests already.

And don't overestimate the importance of Sinn Fein. Their "core constituency" in Jobstown had a 20% turn out today. Sinn Fein will be disposed of if they do a turncoat on the people. The people are asserting actual power on the streets and they are aware of that. They don't have time nor the patience to wait for the next GE to defeat this charge when their own power is in reach.

The sad thing is that in 9 or 12 months time people who are foolish enough to believe this sort of stuff will be getting bills with two or three periods of arrears. And there won't be a sign of any of the meter obstructors anywhere around to help them out. The history of what happend with property tax should be a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I never called anyone a hardened radical,but don't let reading comprehension get in the way of your agenda. Plenty of those 2-3 day old 'unemployment beards' and gormless facial expressions that make it easy to pick out the first group I highlighted.

Glock Lesnar
    Where can I get adidas tapered tracksuit bottoms in dublin?

I've seen a number of people wearing adidas trackuit bottoms with tapered legs but can't find them in my local lifestyle or elverys.

I see you posted above on fashion recently .... So I take it you fit into the first category you mention !!

Your posts are idiotic

Fabulous...I think we have a live one here folks. :D

The sad thing is that in 9 or 12 months time people who are foolish enough to believe this sort of stuff will be getting bills with two or three periods of arrears. And there won't be a sign of any of the meter obstructors anywhere around to help them out. The history of what happend with property tax should be a lesson.

Property tax is a different kettle of fish.

What happens if a social welfare recipient doesn't pay the arrears?

They cant turn the water off. Or if they do, it will easily be turned back on.

As I say, people can resist this. Or at least as it stands now they can.

Property tax is a different kettle of fish.

They cant turn the water off. Or if they do, it will easily be turned back on.

As I say, people can resist this. Or at least as it stands now they can.

Turning the water back on is irrelevant. It is what happens to people who don't pay. 14,000 were taken to court last year for non payment of TV licence without a word about it. An unpaid utility bill doesn't go away, it remains a debt to be discharged.

I got my number wrong for TV licences, but all of these would have suffered a financial penalty.

Last year, 18,048 summons were sent to households but the issue was resolved before the courts were involved in 6,562 cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

What happens if a social welfare recipient doesn't pay their tv license?

Head down to your local district court next time it sits and find out.

Everyone will pay, the easy way or the hard way, but they'll pay.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement