Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

Great day,great protest. 100 thousand easily, rte will always play it down. And good on all those who turned up and did peacefully. Notice they never mentioned the protests in every city which would raise the figures. The gloves are off now fg lab ff failing miserably in Dublin. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Did you get a late night phone call from Mary Lou asking you to join in?

Lol, referencing back to Sinn Fein again. You are worried pal, no doubt about it. Btw I'd rather FG over Sinn Fein leading the country before you accuse me of being a Sinn Fein supporter again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

crannglas wrote: »
    Great day,great protest. 100 thousand easily, rte will always play it down. And good on all those who turned up and did peacefully. Notice they never mentioned the protests in every city which would raise the figures. The gloves are off now fg lab ff failing miserably in Dublin. Lol

Everybody failed miserably in Dublin. 24,000 out of 71,000 bothering to turn out, only 34.5%. Hardly a way to send a message to the government. I see our friend Tony Rochford, a great hero of AH, got 92 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Lol, referencing back to Sinn Fein again. You are worried pal, no doubt about it. Btw I'd rather FG over Sinn Fein leading the country before you accuse me of being a Sinn Fein supporter again.

I use the Mary Lou thing as a shorthand. I have no interest in your politics. But please don't post nonsense about government shills on overtime and I won't have to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Great turnout. Claims of 30000 are a bit laughable. I agree that there was close to 100,000. A Guard told us the reason it was diverted was because there was a "lot more than they estimated". The speeches were over by the time we got back to the GPO and they were still coming long after us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

It was a fantastic turn out today.
    I have to say the the comradery was heartwarming.
    Contrary to Boards opinions of the "scum" who oppose water charges and IW, it was a VERY mixed crowd.
    Young, old, white, African, Asian, even a few culchies :D:p
    On a serious note, at least 100 thousand people were there.
    Not often you see the Irish take to the streets in that kind of number.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Smidge wrote: »
    It was a fantastic turn out today.
    I have to say the the comradery was heartwarming.
    Contrary to Boards opinions of the "scum" who oppose water charges and IW, it was a VERY mixed crowd.
    Young, old, white, African, Asian, even a few culchies :D:p
    On a serious note, at least 100 thousand people were there.
    Not often you see the Irish take to the streets in that kind of number.
    There's a lot of people saying "at least 100k" any kind of official number yet?

Because although the 100k number may be right I'm highly skeptical until I see some proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I signed a petition in Cork today......anyone know when the protest march is happening here?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

Bambi wrote: »
    there was a photographer and a guy with a signup on the parnell monument telling people to wave their phones for joan...wouldnt mind seeing some of those photos

crannglas wrote: »

Agree a good turnout. However, FG and Lab weren't the only ones failing in Dublin. With only 35% of eligible voters exercising their right, I think the whole constituency was failed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

So.....

Has the government cancelled these water charges yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tigger123

Is any political party even talking about stopping the water charges, and shutting down Irish Water? Are SF promising this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

yipeeeee wrote: »
    So.....

Has the government cancelled these water charges yet?

You can bet there are a lot of panicked phonecalls. Expect some sort of reliefs in the budget. Also they will be thinking hard about this a few tds to rebel against it. The plan to privatise it has taken a serious blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

20Cent wrote: »
    The plan to privatise it has taken a serious blow.

There is a plan to privatise it???
    Other than the SF plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

20Cent wrote: »
    You can bet there are a lot of panicked phonecalls. Expect some sort of reliefs in the budget. Also they will be thinking hard about this a few tds to rebel against it. The plan to privatise it has taken a serious blow.

Yesterday's calls to boycott Irish Waters bills by the public went down very well by the crowd.

1 million people chanting and marching through Dublin could be ignored by the Govt, but when Irish Water is denied the Revenue flow it badly needs to operate, simple mathematics will dictate that it will fail.
    As said by yesterday's speakers though, it will require Irish unity, everyone must stick together.

Any reports from Irish Water, ref how many completed packs have been sent in?

Lots of conflicting reports about the gards crowd estimate, RTE say the gards estimate 30,000 (lol)

Most other media outlets say the gards are unable (unwilling) to give attendance estimates, with some gards estimating the crowd at 100k.

So for those downplaying any collaboration between the state, the states broadcasters, and the States police force, the proof is in the pudding.

Yesterday's calls to boycott Irish Waters bills by the public went down very well by the crowd.

1 million people chanting and marching through Dublin could be ignored by the Govt, but when Irish Water is denied the Revenue flow it badly needs to operate, simple mathematics will dictate that it will fail.

Lots of conflicting reports about the gards crowd estimate, RTE say the gards estimate 30,000 (lol)

Most other media outlets say the gards are unable (unwilling) to give attendance estimates, with some gards estimating the crowd at 100k.

So for those downplaying any collaboration between the state, the states broadcasters, and the States police force, the proof is in the pudding.
    1 million people???

yipeeeee wrote: »
    1 million people???

You realise I'm not actually claiming 1m marched in protest yesterday, right?

You realise I'm not actually claiming 1m marched in protest yesterday, right?

Ahhh right..

As said by yesterday's speakers though, it will require Irish unity, everyone must stick together.

Any reports from Irish Water, ref how many completed packs have been sent in?

Does it ever occur to people that the Gardai are PAYE workers, who are getting taxed to the hilt the same as everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

tigger123 wrote: »
    Does it ever occur to people that the Gardai are PAYE workers, who are getting taxed to the hilt the same as everyone else?

No! That would mean they are normal people just like us and not the privatised police force that's a menace to anyone who think's about disagreeing with the government and is hiding body bags full of protestors all over the country.......

• Advertisement

It does.

I've actually got sympathy for them. What's that got to do with RTE making a claim the gards estimated the crowd at 30k Though?

Other media outlets are saying the gards won't give an estimate?

Btw, here's what RTE say 30k people look like, and remember, the crowd in these pictures are returning to the GPO, with the march still actually leaving the garden of Remembrance.

VinLieger wrote: »
    No! That would mean they are normal people just like us and not the privatised police force that's a menace to anyone who think's about disagreeing with the government and is hiding body bags full of protestors all over the country.......

The Gardai won't have to pay the water charges either.

It does.

I've actually got sympathy for them. What's that got to do with RTE making a claim the gards estimated the crowd at 30k Though?

Other media outlets are saying the gards won't give an estimate?

Btw, here's what RTE say 30k people look like, and remember, the crowd in these pictures are returning to the GPO, with the march still actually leaving the garden of Remembrance.

So what? That could very easily be 30k people, the naked eye has no chance of correctly estimating that amount of people.

Also stop pretending you and other protestor's have no motive to overestimate the amount of people who turned up.

VinLieger wrote: »
    So what? That could very easily be 30k people, the naked eye has no chance of correctly estimating that amount of people.

Also stop pretending you and other protestor's have no motive to overestimate the amount of people who turned up.

The only media actually claiming the gards estimated the crowd at 30k is RTE.

meanwhile the gards themselves wont/can't give an estimated figure.

I'm reading claims of 200k protesters online also, but I reckon 100k is more accurate.

I'm reading claims of 200k protesters online also, but I reckon 100k is more accurate.

And I reckon 100k is an overestimation it's just a handy big round number to use

Genuine question: on what basis do you think 100k is more accurate than 200k? How are you arriving at this figure?

The Irish Times is estimating 50k.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

SHILLS!

Everyone knows that Irish Times employees won't have to pay water charges. I read it on the Facebooks

Genuine question: on what basis do you think 100k is more accurate than 200k? How are you arriving at this figure?

From the Irish Times....?.

While the Garda press office could not give a figure for the numbers in attendance, one garda observing the march estimated they could be as high as 100,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Did any1 not count them 1 by 1

• Advertisement

From the Irish Times....?.

You're being just a touch selective here. From the same article ...
    Upwards of 50,000 people marched against water charges in Dublin today in one of the largest demonstrations seen in the capital in years.

While the Garda press office could not give a figure for the numbers in attendance, one garda observing the march estimated they could be as high as 100,000.

So, the 100k estimate is based upon one person's estimate and nothing else. So, if I was standing there and estimated 90k, or 110k it would be just as valid?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement