Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Specialun wrote: »
    Did any1 not count them 1 by 1

The Gardai helicopter was overhead for the entire event, I wonder why they've not released any pictures of the march from the air?

Quite strange that the press office are refusing to release figures. Looks like RTE decided to make a statement on their behalf which is bizzare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The Gardai helicopter was overhead for the entire event, I wonder why they've not released any pictures of the march from the air?

Do they usually release photos from it to the public?

tigger123 wrote: »
    You're being just a touch selective here. From the same article ...

So, the 100k estimate is based upon one person's estimate and nothing else. So, if I was standing there and estimated 90k, or 110k it would be just as valid?

The devil is in the detail, they say 'over' or 'upwards', meanwhile the state broadcaster goes with almost half that amount (30k)

I'm quite happy with my estimate, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tigger123

The devil is in the detail, they say 'over' or 'upwards', meanwhile the state broadcaster goes with almost half that amount (30k)

I'm quite happy with my estimate, thanks.

I don't think 'over' or 'upwards' means 'go ahead there and double the figure to 100,000'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I don't think 'over' or 'upwards' means 'go ahead there and double the figure to 100,000'.

Wasn't there another protest in cork at the same time?

• Advertisement

The devil is in the detail, they say 'over' or 'upwards', meanwhile the state broadcaster goes with almost half that amount (30k) I'm quite happy with my estimate, thanks.

Ok. We'll agree that somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 attended. Are they aware that they are all part of the AAA General Election campaign? Is it a coincidence that the march was the same day as the by election count? It's far too late to be protesting against water charges! (I wonder how many of those attended voted in the last General Election, the Referendums in between and the by election?)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Journal.ie estimates between 80,000-100,000.

In reality, no one knows for certain.

How many people do you reckon agree,or would vote, for the water charge?

You're being just a touch selective here. From the same article ...

Lol

The Irish Times is estimating 50k.

Your rules.

gladrags wrote: »

8 million

Little or none. Nobody, regardless of their circumstances wants to pay another utility bill.

I can't help but feel the protests/outrage/scuffles at the installation of water meters are a waste of time. It's a done deal at this stage and no amount of fighting with the cops and shouting at people is going to change it. It's a waste of energy.

That's why I asked the question earlier about any political party talking about reversing the water charges. I'm assuming SF are vehemently against them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Waking up today with a sense of pride on my heart. Felt great yesterday to march with my fellow country people united against something so unjust. Fantastic effort by everyone who marched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Waking up today with a sense of pride on my heart. Felt great yesterday to march with my fellow country people united against something so unjust. Fantastic effort by everyone who marched.

Let us know when you receive confirmation that the charges have been cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Fellow country men?

You really think all those people wouldn't screw you over when the chips are down?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,581 ✭✭✭jaykay74

As someone who emigrated to Sweden and pays for water why do people not want to pay for it? Surely its better to be taxed for the direct use of something in proportion of your usage of it than indirectly through an increase in income tax or elsewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

jaykay74 wrote: »
    As someone who emigrated to Sweden and pays for water why do people not want to pay for it? Surely its better to be taxed for the direct use of something than indirectly through an increase in income tax or elsewhere...

We already pay for it.

We already pay for it.

Surely its better to be taxed for the direct use of something
    . If you think oyu are paying for it in indirect taxes then would you prefer an increase in income tax instead then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Valetta wrote: »
    Let us know when you receive confirmation that the charges have been cancelled.

Why? What are you going to do? Go out and protest for them to be re-instated?

Have the same feeling. Was really surprised at the mix of people at the protest and great to see and hear that sort of passion. The beginning of the end for IW in my view.

Was there any Celtic shirts there yesterday?
    Can't be a proper protest without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Have the same feeling. Was really surprised at the mix of people at the protest and great to see and hear that sort of passion. The beginning of the end for IW in my view.

Good luck with that

• Advertisement

Was there any Celtic shirts there yesterday?
    Can't be a proper protest without one.

No didn't see a single one tbh. Seen a Man United jersey does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Fellow country men?

You really think all those people wouldn't screw you over when the chips are down?

No I don't think these ordinary decent people would screw me over. Do not be so cynical. You obviously don't regard the character of Irish people very highly?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Good luck with that

Thanks pal. Hopefully the message is getting through.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    As someone who emigrated to Sweden and pays for water why do people not want to pay for it? Surely its better to be taxed for the direct use of something in proportion of your usage of it than indirectly through an increase in income tax or elsewhere...

Because Irish people expect everything for nothing or next to nothing and then wonder why what they get is substandard.

No didn't see a single one tbh. Seen a Man United jersey does that count?

Ah that was probably a "bring back Moyes" fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Little or none. Nobody, regardless of their circumstances wants to pay another utility bill.

I can't help but feel the protests/outrage/scuffles at the installation of water meters are a waste of time. It's a done deal at this stage and no amount of fighting with the cops and shouting at people is going to change it. It's a waste of energy.

That's why I asked the question earlier about any political party talking about reversing the water charges. I'm assuming SF are vehemently against them.

There are many reasons why people marched yesterday.

It is feasible that the charge could be scrapped,through protest,social media and public opinion.

It is only now becoming clear to the public,that they are being conned.

I did not witness any scuffles,as the marchers came from a broad section.

OAP's,middle class,young and old.

It was a peacful and friendly march.

So what happens if prices increase.

Do nothing?

It seems that for those who think we already pay for water that they have a preference for the current system then ? Where water is paid for indirectly thorugh income tax/VAT etc rather than directly based on usage. I guess that suits people who use a lot of water. Seems illogical though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭oceanman

great day, great turnout, cant remember when I last seen that amount of people on the streets....well done to everyone, especially those who travelled from up and down the country.

There are many reasons why people marched yesterday.

It is feasible that the charge could be scrapped,through protest,social media and public opinion.

It is only now becoming clear to the public,that they are being conned.

I did not witness any scuffles,as the marchers came from a broad section.

OAP's,middle class,young and old.

It was a peacful and friendly march.

So what happens if prices increase.

Do nothing?

Sorry, I didn't mean scuffles at the march, I mean the stuff I've seen online where people are trying to stop the installation of meters.

I'm not sure how people are being "conned" though ... what's the con? The fact that the charges are being brought in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

someone posted this on Facebook earlier. I have not used the person's correct name but people from there will know who this is referring to.

"H****** K***** was Sligo County Manager for 17 years and when he retired in 2013 he received a lump sum of 270,000 and a pension of 68,000 per year. His time as Sligo manager was controversial and he left behind a County debt of 80 million. "It's not the end of the world, nobody died," he said about the council's financial woes. At one stage he refused to attend council meetings in a dispute with an independent Councillor and spent more than €50,000 council money hiring HR consultant D***** N******n to monitor meetings. Asked to comment on reports that his own pay as Sligo Manager, at €136,000, was €30,000 more than that of the Spanish prime minister, Mr K***** said his salary was fixed by Government. “I am surprised that the Spanish prime minister earns so little.”
    So after retiring from Sligo he has his pockets full, thanks to the taxpayer - that's YOU and ME, So, has Mr K***** taken up fishing? No, H***** has apparently found gainful employment with Irish Water.

Irish Water, home to retired Council managers, headed up by retired Dublin Manager J*** T****** (salary 200,000 Eur). But apparently Irish Water managers would have to get by on a measly 100,000. Hopefully though they might be able to survive once the expenses and free cars are factored in.
    So you can see good people why it's going to take 20 years to fix all those rusty old water pipes!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement