Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

cajonlardo wrote: »
    When I provide my services I get a written agreement from my client engaging me to complete a task. This agreement is the contract and if my client fails to pay the bill is pursued by legal means. Now if I waltz up to a persons home and connect a gadget and then start billing them they would rightly tell me to get lost.

Irish Water know this. You know this. Unless that agreement is signed there is no contract. I do believe they can legally reduce pressure. That is grand. Most of us have that part figured out.

What contract did you sign for your current supply of water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

since im ex-directory i wont be paying. grand so.

If your details are nowhere to be found publicly you may get away with it too.
    When I provide my services I get a written agreement from my client engaging me to complete a task. This agreement is the contract and if my client fails to pay the bill is pursued by legal means. Now if I waltz up to a persons home and connect a gadget and then start billing them they would rightly tell me to get lost.

Irish Water know this. You know this. Unless that agreement is signed there is no contract. I do believe they can legally reduce pressure. That is grand. Most of us have that part figured out.

The legislation has replaced the requirement for a written contract. Do you sign a contract before using the M50? Do you agree a payment plan before the fire brigade come to put a fire out in your home? There are plenty of cases where a contract is not required for a debt to be incurred.
    It looks like the water charges will be a big election issue. When you see protest parties losing out to anti charges candidates, the future of labour looks bleak.

I have to disagree. I think the government have been very cunning. They will have two budgets to win back the electorate. I expect they'll start by targeting the pensioners and public sector workers with benefits and tax cuts respectively this year. Next years budgets will likely bring increases in social welfare schemes too. The water charges will give them more money to play with. If it were simply down to budgets I think they could survive the next election.

Unfortunately for them, their ministers have a habit of doing and saying stupid things so they probably won't get back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

What contract did you sign for your current supply of water?
    A ballot paper in a local election

Any chance you could address my concerns with you misrepresentations post #4758?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,942 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

How should I know? Budget is in 2 daThe legislation allows for Irish Water to do it. No contracts necessary. The legislation also allows for an occupier, not a home owner, to be held responsible so anyone at the home can be billed. You can get that info in a phone book.

So they can summons an 18 year old and clog up the courts and then he gets off because the house is not his and pleads ignorance about who actually owns it. Brilliant. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

If your details are nowhere to be found publicly you may get away with it too.

other than my PPS (which they arent getting) i havent been in the system at my current address (11 years). no bank accounts, no personal debt, no phone contracts, no gas/esb bill.

infact thinking about it now, i havent had correspondence addressed to me that wasnt business/personal in a long long time.

maybe i will get overlooked. i havent received any sign up pack yet and our apartment block isnt being metered.

be interesting to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

News of the protest is one of the top submissions on Reddit right now. Actually higher than the story about the nurse with Ebola in Texas :pac:

http://www.reddit.com/

I would be surprised if the international reaction isn't along the lines of "what....the Irish don't pay for water?". Much the same response as we might have toward the retirement age in France when the French electorate were up in arms about raising it, and it made international news. "What....the French retire at 62. Ridiculous"

News of the protest is one of the top submissions on Reddit right now. Actually higher than the story about the nurse with Ebola in Texas :pac:

http://www.reddit.com/

Not much support for the cause.
    So they can summons an 18 year old and clog up the courts and then he gets off because the house is not his and pleads ignorance about who actually owns it. Brilliant. :pac:

He won't get off. The legislation is clear. he is an occupier and just as liable as any other person in the house.
    other than my PPS (which they arent getting) i havent been in the system at my current address (11 years). no bank accounts, no personal debt, no phone contracts, no gas/esb bill.

infact thinking about it now, i havent had correspondence addressed to me that wasnt business/personal in a long long time.

maybe i will get overlooked. i havent received any sign up pack yet and our apartment block isnt being metered.

be interesting to see what happens.

You could be one of those few people that have no public record. But how hard do you really think it would be to get your name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

The legislation has replaced the requirement for a written contract. Do you sign a contract before using the M50? Do you agree a payment plan before the fire brigade come to put a fire out in your home? There are plenty of cases where a contract is not required for a debt to be incurred.

Did the road authourity connect a toll road directly to my garden and demand I pay in order to leave my property ? If they did do you honestly expect anyone to believe that would be enforceable?

Fire Brigade charges are agreed and recorded on the call and there is ample number of times it has failed to be enforced.

Again, you lot pulling "facts" out of thin air

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1012/651801-water-charges/

RTE - Water charges are here to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    They're flags that have been used by the IRA. Any sane person should avoid them like the plague but these people are consciously choosing to identify themselves with militant republicans.

I find it nauseating that I have to respond to you again but your comment irks me .. The Provos also use the tri-colour too .. Should we "avoid" our national flag ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Not much support for the cause.

What.. apart from the 95% of people that upvoted the story, and the most upvoted comment in the thread that commends protesters

Seems to be plenty of international support there.

You could be one of those few people that have no public record. But how hard do you really think it would be to get your name?

i dunno, im not purposely off the grid so im not too concerned. its just how things worked out for me.

but the fact i havent gotten the sign up letter yet is strange.

i also mentioned earlier in the thread about our water set up here. the mains doesnt split until after the pump room (we dont use a gravity system). any means they have of 'trickling' the supply has to be after our pump, which makes it restricted private property, which is either A. not going to happen or B. very easily remedied.

like i said, it'll be interesting to see how they play it.

SMJSF wrote: »

doesnt mean much coming from a condemned party.

Did the road authourity connect a toll road directly to my garden and demand I pay in order to leave my property ? If they did do you honestly expect anyone to believe that would be enforceable?

Fire Brigade charges are agreed and recorded on the call and there is ample number of times it has failed to be enforced.

Again, you lot pulling "facts" out of thin air

You are off on an ark there. I've just shown you examples of where you can be liable to a debt without a contract and you've just thrown out some random crap to avoid it. Like I said, a signed contract isn't needed, the legislation overrules that requirement. So unless the legislation is successfully challenged in the Supreme Court then that argument is pointless.

And where do you get the notion that the fire brigade only caome out if you agree a price? That's preposterous. Even if someone else calls them you can still be liable to the charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

SMJSF wrote: »

I loled.

Labour TD says water charges here to stay
    Water charges say Labour TD's are not here to stay.

What.. apart from the 95% of people that upvoted the story, and the most upvoted comment in the thread that commends protesters

Seems to be plenty of international support there.

Upvoting the story does not indicate people agree with the protestors, it means they found the story interesting. It's not a "like" system. And I'm not sure what top comments you are reading but most of them show no support or condemnation. There's one or two that do but then they are countered by equally popular rebuttals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 dragoneye

Got my meter installed last Thursday the 2nd - done a reading today & the reading was 151 - this seems very low can anyone tell me if it is

He won't get off. The legislation is clear. he is an occupier and just as liable as any other person in the house.

So they will jail a student with no income ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Given that the water charge system will be implemented as planned, the government will continue to govern as democratically elected needing to take no notice of crowd marches or rallys, are such protests and marches simply a release valve for the cranks of society ?
    Lulled into the illusion that the government might be influenced by them, and a feel-good happy-clappy group chant of a crowd of similarly minded people who are 'at least doing something', are protest marches just a modern day bread and circuses to keep the rabble happy ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Bambi wrote: »
    I think they were from donegal, which would explain a lot :pac:

Im from Donegal and I think that was a moronic thing to put on a poster.. so don't tar me with the same brush, please and thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Well that rapist can't be allowed to hog that prison cell forever......... time to pop a student in and give old Rapey McRape Pants parole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭Vinnie L

How should I know? Budget is in 2 days.

It's your claim, as I suspected, and like your other claims, you can't back it up either
    The poster asked why consultants where hired instead of idle public sector workers. My point is that different jobs require different qualifications and skills. You can't just swap people around and expect them to do a new job. The government was planning for a new national water infrastrucure. It makes sense to hire people with knowledge that would add to it.

What knowlege and skills did they have that was not already available in the public service ?

Don't see that happening. There's certainly nothing to indicate it.

You've never heard of Eircon then, or did you think people have forgotten about that fiasco ?
    So why create a company instead of a seperate department ?
    The money you pay goes towards repairs. The repairs reduce the leaks which, in turn, reduces the cost of pumping water to your house. Lower costs generally lead to lower prices.

So your claiming that water prices will actually fall when we start paying for water, what are you basing this on ? Even Fiasco Phil didn't try that yarn.
    Companies like Eircom, Bord Gais and ESB? Or do you mean the companies that run the motorways?

Eircom is a private company and Bord Gais is on its way, with a substanital amout of it already in foreign hands. So why was that model chosen ?

Probably not. Probably just make a judgement against him and wreck his credit, assuming he is left out to dry by the others in the house. Where exactly do you see the comedy? What is it about what I've said that you think I'm misinterpreting about the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭titchy

Even if it was 100k then that is still only 2% of the population. Last time I checked that's a fairly tiny minority

A lot of towns held their own protests for people who were unable to make it to Dublin...from what I've seen there was a fairly decent turnout for these splinter protests also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I really worry about the intelligence of the people who think water actually comes straight from rivers.

I've heard people say "Sure it rains here all the time", and they weren't being sarcastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Given that the water charge system will be implemented as planned, the government will continue to govern as democratically elected needing to take no notice of crowd marches or rallys, are such protests and marches simply a release valve for the cranks of society ?
    Lulled into the illusion that the government might be influenced by them, and a feel-good happy-clappy group chant of a crowd of similarly minded people who are 'at least doing something', are protest marches just a modern day bread and circuses to keep the rabble happy ?

What a horribly cynical way of looking at protests.

Probably not. Probably just make a judgement against him and wreck his credit, assuming he is left out to dry by the others in the house. Where exactly do you see the comedy? What is it about what I've said that you think I'm misinterpreting about the law?

It's funny because it simply won't work. They will not even go the route of taking people to court for not paying because the outcry would have serious repercussions for them.
    It's unworkable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

It seems to me, the protests are too late. At this point, I can't imagine Irish Water not going ahead. Protests back when people were first floating the idea might have been more effective.

What a horribly cynical way of looking at protests.

Shows how worried they actually are.

• Advertisement

Vinnie L wrote: »
    It's your claim, as I suspected, and like your other claims, you can't back it up either

It's my expectation and it's backed up by as much as yours.
    What knowlege and skills did they have that was not already available in the public service ?

I presume it's knowledge of the systems being used in setting up the company. Things like IT systems.
    You've never heard of Eircon then, or did you think people have forgotten about that fiasco ?
    So why create a company instead of a seperate department ?

I think they've learned from it. There are a number of reasons for setting up a company. I'd imagine one of the main ones is to prevent the government being held liable for suits against IW.
    So your claiming that water prices will actually fall when we start paying for water, what are you basing this on ? Even Fiasco Phil didn't try that yarn.

I expect costs will fall and this will likely lead to a drop in prices.
    Eircom is a private company and Bord Gais is on its way, with a substanital amout of it already in foreign hands.

You seem to be arguing different points on privatisation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement