Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The problem with this country is that people love complaining and moaning. People have to realise by now that the country is running at a deficit.

If you don't want to pay water charges, why not suggest a feasible alternative for the government to raise funds?

Water charges will actually bring equality of charges because people with private wells and on Group Water Schemes are already paying for their water and sewerage systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭benny79

yipeeeee wrote: »
    That's really not true though.

We are paying out more than we are taking in with a third of expenditure goingon social welfare.

We need to pay back the loans whether we agree or not.

Its the governments job to pay this back, they are responsible.

Maybe they should cut the welfare to 100 euro a week, to be in line with the UK.

Yes we are...
    But it still doesn't stop all the politicians taking their big pay cheques and pensions!!!

I for one marched on Saturday, and it was great to see the people of Ireland finally getting up and making a stand just like are grand fathers before us in the 60's & 80's instead of moaning about it and not doing anything! " Sure I don't need to march there be enough in there one more won't make a difference" .

This is only going to get bigger enough is a enough. And I estimated there was 150,000+ in there on Saturday.

Enda in your eiffel tower this is called people power!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭ohohseven

I have four accounts, so try ban me *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ohohseven wrote: »

Four accounts and no tact............. what an affliction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Lemlin wrote: »
    Here is your equation again:

In the above, to me anyway, you are putting the entire reason for water charges down to bonuses. Would you not agree reading the above?

The key parts are "reason we are paying twice" "=Bonuses". No mention of any other costs or charges.

There's a built in assumption in it, that there will be on top of the massive bonuses, extra wages etc as they have taken on an army of new workers, installation of meters etc.

Another expensive quango for the taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

ohohseven wrote: »

Banned

Challenge accepted

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Leslie91 wrote: »
    What's not true?

Are you saying because we are paying out (as a state) more than we are taking in, water charges should be charged, even though supposedly the cost of providing water is/has been paid for by/included in what the State has been taking in to date?

The dogs in the street. now we are running a deficit but hammering those with jobs again and again is not the answer.

Instead begin to control/reduce expenditure, this includes Social welfare, public service salary/bonuses, waste etc.

Like I said we should pay for water, but not in this way. Already 'the boys' have pocketed €200m or so for a new logo and company. Supposedly IT systems etc have cost alot of this and yet some people have got no application packs, some have got 2 or more. And yet it is incumbent on the person to come forth with PPS numbers etc.

This is it for me. I would have been able to swallow a flat rate water charge so much more easier than what had been set up. Those on limited incomes know what it will be and budget and set aside every month. Especially considering these charges are only coming in to bridge the deficit. I don't agree with the way Irish water has been set up. It appears to me it's a company set up for profit, at a time when so many people are finding things so very hard and difficult. The government going about setting up a new company/quango for jobs for the boys type of thing. Pissing money down the drain setting it up. Water was always the responsibility of the councils. Why wasn't it left with them?

I agree with you too. When the sh1t hit the fan some years ago after years of a boom and the country becoming too expensive for companied to opetate and the banks went to sh1t, all resulting in a fcukload of job losses. I think public expeniture should have been overhauled. Like all aspects of it. SW, public sector pays, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,132 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

benny79 wrote: »
    And I estimated there was 150,000+ in there on Saturday.

No, no there weren't.

Meanwhile, the media reports an about to be announced add-on to the benefits package to cushion the impact of water charges on welfare recipients.

Thats all fine and well, but if the Government thinks that if they make it cheaper for the lowest incomes groups to pay for water then it solves the issue raised by the participants in Saturdays march, then they couldnt be further off the mark. It actually makes it worse.

As a middle income family, Im sickened by the idea that we will be left to carry the cost of easing the burden elsewhere YET AGAIN! Whole swathes of social housing tenants were already exempted from the LPT and now it seems the cost of a further exemption will be lumped on the likes of me.

I wasn't paying the water charges anyway, but when your typical FG voter realises they are being asked to carry the watering can for others being let off, it will worsen the impact of the charges and the government's predicament.

T The government going about setting up a new company/quango for jobs for the boys type of thing. Pissing money down the drain setting it up. Water was always the responsibility of the councils. Why wasn't it left with them?

Oh but it was left with them. The Councils are doing EXACTLY what they were doing with water all along, and will continue to for 12 years, now though they have to include Irish Water in the endless stream of bureaucracy, pun intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Is it a case of pitting the low income/SW recipients vs the middle/high earners?

edit: sorry, the other way around :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

So cheaper rates for those who already get everything for free? Great, that just what the normal working person wants. Good job FG :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I wasn't paying the water charges anyway, but when your typical FG voter realises they are being asked to carry the watering can for others being let off, it will worsen the impact of the charges and the government's predicament.

I think the credits/waivers for folk on s/w will be matched with a tax credit for those in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

MadYaker wrote: »
    So cheaper rates for those who already get everything for free? Great, that just what the normal working person wants. Good job FG :rolleyes:

There is an election to buy.

All parties will support it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

they would be protesting but they're too busy working, keeping the country going.

Nonsense. On a Saturday? They had the chance to take a stand no point complaining when the bills of 500-600 euro drop through the letterbox.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Is it a case of pitting the low income/SW recipients vs the middle/high earners?

It seems to be, either by coincidence or design.

There is no equity to any of these charges and stealth taxes. If people were being asked to pay what they could afford, they might go down a bit easier.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

No, everyone is getting the €100 allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Saw this post in the politics forum:
    There's a divide here between those who take more from the state than they contribute, and those who contribute more than they take. Unfortunately it's in the interest of politicians to pander to the first group as they know they can be bought with taxpayers money. It's very hard to refuse a handout.

If you are someone who believes in well run public services financed by fair taxation there is no-one to vote for. FG are the closest, but they have descended into the same old squalid politics of croneyism and covering up incompetence. FF have bankrupted the country twice. Labour & SF are in a race to see who can spend taxpayers money the fastest. There are dozens of looper left parties who would tax us into the ground. It's a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nonsense. On a Saturday? They had the chance to take a stand no point complaining when the bills of 500-600 euro drop through the letterbox.

Not able to march on a on a Saturda!!!!
    It's almost as if some people work jobs that are outside of the 9 to 5, Monday to Friday of the civil service..........

listermint wrote: »
    That has the be the most 'out there' hilarious utter tripe i have read in a while.
    a good while.

So, I'm right then! There's a GE coming up and now is the time to start canvassing!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have a problem with the poll. I support water charges but I will not pay Irish water as I bear the cost through a private well with its own electricity supply, costs about €32 a month then extra for repairs and maintenance.

If taxes had been paying for water, I never a saw a refund...

Clare Daly on the radio saying the rich should pay for everyone's water, this does nothing to conserve water and if someone already pays tax and have made a success for themselves why should they be penalised for being a success.
    That is just jealously and lets the people who have no get up and go away with their lazy lifestyle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Rightwing wrote: »
    No, everyone is getting the €100 allowance.

Just roughly 180,000 + long term unemployed will get it

Not including those who already receive the household benifits package which also includes free tv licence and payment towards other utilities

Gatling wrote: »
    Just roughly 180,000 + long term unemployed will get it

Not including those who already receive the household benifits package which also includes free tv licence and payment towards other utilities

A two-pronged approach agreed by senior ministers will see the introduction of new tax relief measures and financial subsidies in tomorrow's Budget, the Irish Independent can reveal.
    The Coalition plans to provide relief through both the tax and social welfare systems in a move that is intended to cover every household in the country.
    The proposals, which were signed off by the government's Economic Management Council (EMC), will see householders receive a tax refund worth up to €100 from their water charges bill.
    The package of relief from water charges has been improved, following intensifying opposition to the introduction of water charges.
    Taxpayers will be able to claim tax relief from their water charges worth up to €100 a year at the lower income tax rate of 20pc. The bill for a family of two adults and two children is estimated at €278, meaning tax relief of €55.60.
    On the social welfare side, the number of people who will get a €100 subsidy off their tax bills will increase. The Government's initial plans saw the subsidy being offered to 415,000 who receive the Households Benefit Package, including the over 70s, carers and people with disabilities.
    But this number of beneficiaries has now been substantially expanded to include the long-term unemployed and a large number of social welfare recipients who already get the Fuel Allowance. There are currently over 278,000 deemed to be long-termed unemployed, meaning they have been out of work for over 12 months.

A two-pronged approach agreed by senior ministers will see the introduction of new tax relief measures and financial subsidies in tomorrow's Budget, the Irish Independent can reveal.
    The Coalition plans to provide relief through both the tax and social welfare systems in a move that is intended to cover every household in the country.
    The proposals, which were signed off by the government's Economic Management Council (EMC), will see householders receive a tax refund worth up to €100 from their water charges bill.
    The package of relief from water charges has been improved, following intensifying opposition to the introduction of water charges.
    Taxpayers will be able to claim tax relief from their water charges worth up to €100 a year at the lower income tax rate of 20pc. The bill for a family of two adults and two children is estimated at €278, meaning tax relief of €55.60.
    On the social welfare side, the number of people who will get a €100 subsidy off their tax bills will increase. The Government's initial plans saw the subsidy being offered to 415,000 who receive the Households Benefit Package, including the over 70s, carers and people with disabilities.
    But this number of beneficiaries has now been substantially expanded to include the long-term unemployed and a large number of social welfare recipients who already get the Fuel Allowance. There are currently over 278,000 deemed to be long-termed unemployed, meaning they have been out of work for over 12 months.

I bet this is only for people who pay Irish water and not for people who have private wells or on a water scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

the entire population doesn't stop working for the week at 5:30pm on a Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's going to be an expensive bill for SW

RobertKK wrote: »
    I bet this is only for people who pay Irish water and not for people who have private wells or on a water scheme.

Those people pay less, so they will €50

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RobertKK wrote: »
    I have a problem with the poll. I support water charges but I will not pay Irish water as I bear the cost through a private well with its own electricity supply, costs about €32 a month then extra for repairs and maintenance.

If taxes had been paying for water, I never a saw a refund...

Clare Daly on the radio saying the rich should pay for everyone's water, this does nothing to conserve water and if someone already pays tax and have made a success for themselves why should they be penalised for being a success.
    That is just jealously and lets the people who have no get up and go away with their lazy lifestyle.

People who are pro water charges always hold out the extreme examples at either end of the spectrum to make their case.

What are your thoughts on the fact that Irish Water was fundamentally setup and has all the facilities for a quick private sale of our national water infrastructure.

Regardless of your private well or not, Surely you have friends / family/ parents / children with no access to a private well.

Do you want these people to pay rates based on the needs of shareholders.

Is that really what people in this country are hoping to happen? that our actual water supply is treated as a commodity on the stockmarket just like oil. Have we really come that far as a social nation that a people who live in rural island and have access to a well do not care what elements of our national assets are sold off to the highest bidder?

Its beyond belief!, How are these same people on our Forestry , our national parks ? I mean we have to pay our way we are running a deficit sure.

Are these same champions of water rates aware that we are shouldering 9000 Euro per head in this country of EU debt, German is the second next at approx 480 Per head and the next after that is 360 Euro per head.

Where,.... excuse my language, the f**k does it stop ?

Those people pay less, so they will €50

That is not true, maybe for some it is is, but others it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dwaincasey

They can stick their 100 euro allowance up their arse!

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    People who are pro water charges always hold out the extreme examples at either end of the spectrum to make their case.

What are your thoughts on the fact that Irish Water was fundamentally setup and has all the facilities for a quick private sale of our national water infrastructure.

Regardless of your private well or not, Surely you have friends / family/ parents / children with no access to a private well.

Do you want these people to pay rates based on the needs of shareholders.

Is that really what people in this country are hoping to happen? that our actual water supply is treated as a commodity on the stockmarket just like oil. Have we really come that far as a social nation that a people who live in rural island and have access to a well do not care what elements of our national assets are sold off to the highest bidder?

Its beyond belief!, How are these same people on our Forestry , our national parks ? I mean we have to pay our way we are running a deficit sure.

Are these same champions of water rates aware that we are shouldering 9000 Euro per head in this country of EU debt, German is the second next at approx 480 Per head and the next after that is 360 Euro per head.

Where,.... excuse my language, the f**k does it stop ?

I would much prefer that than some public quango.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement