Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

RobertKK wrote: »
    I have a problem with the poll. I support water charges but I will not pay Irish water as I bear the cost through a private well with its own electricity supply, costs about €32 a month then extra for repairs and maintenance.

If taxes had been paying for water, I never a saw a refund...

Clare Daly on the radio saying the rich should pay for everyone's water, this does nothing to conserve water and if someone already pays tax and have made a success for themselves why should they be penalised for being a success.
    That is just jealously and lets the people who have no get up and go away with their lazy lifestyle.

Clare Daly is an absolute moron for making statements like that, thankfully pretty much everyone knows how much of an idiot she is and doesn't listen to a word she says and certainly don't put any pass on anything that falls out of her mouth.

The reason she wants the rich to pay for water is so that her and the layabouts can continue putting their hands in other peoples pockets rather than putting their hand in their own pocket for once.

This whole thing of people on SW getting subsidies towards their water really p1sses me off, the working people of this country pay far too much in tax just to subsidise the layabout wasters, now they are being asked to subsidise them some more, worst part about it is those on SW will use far more water than those out of their houses working all day. Great!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

listermint wrote: »
    People who are pro water charges always hold out the extreme examples at either end of the spectrum to make their case.

What are you thoughts on the fact that Irish Water was fundamentally setup and as all the facilities for a quick private sale of our national water infrastructure.

Regardless of your private well or not, Surely you have friends / family/ parents / children with no access to a private well.

Do you want these people to pay rates based on the needs of shareholders.

Is that really what people in this country are hoping to happen? that our actual water supply is treated as a commodity on the stockmarket just like oil. Have we really come that far as a social nation that a people who live in rural island and have access to a well do not care what elements of our national assets are sold off to the highest bidder?

Its beyond belief!, How are these same people on our Forestry , our national parks ? I mean we have to pay our way we are running a deficit sure.

Are these same champions of water rates aware that we are shouldering 9000 Euro per head in this country of EU debt, German is the second next at approx 480 Per head and the next after that is 360 Euro per head.

Where,.... excuse my language, the f**k does it stop ?

Oh please, not everyone is on public water or public sewage system.
    Look at all the septic tank around the country - people had to pay a charge for them recently.

Yes I believe my relations and friends who live in towns and cities should pay for their water, they don't know how good they have been having it. No need to conserve water because a well can run dry in lengthy dry spells which we do get, the public water supply rarely runs dry apart from when people are stupid like back in December 2010 when they left taps running to stop their pipes from freezing.
    Again no incentive to conserve water.

Tell me what incentives have there been to conserve water?
    The only way to make people think about water is to make them pay if they are too liberal with their use of it.

I am also sick of the far left saying the rich must pay for this that and the other. Do people like Clare Daly and Paul Murphy think rich people would be stupid enough to hang around if we were to basically rob them for being successful, these muppets would ruin the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Quango, the new boards buzzword

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

What are your thoughts on the fact that Irish Water was fundamentally setup and has all the facilities for a quick private sale of our national water infrastructure.

An infrastructure that it didn't even pay for and will not make any better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Quango, the new boards buzzword

Not what politicians or those in 1 want of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Rightwing wrote: »
    I would much prefer that than some public quango.

and im sure you are all for privatising our health system in its entirety too :rolleyes. What about primary schools lets hit them up for privatisation.

Sure feck it why do we look after anyone, Everyone pays

and im sure you are all for privatising our health system in its entirety too :rolleyes. What about primary schools lets hit them up for privatisation.

Of course.

Otherwise you are accumulating debt and will eventually face bankruptcy, once, twice or in Greece/Argentina'a cases, many times.

Oh please, not everyone is on public water or public sewage system.
    Look at all the septic tank around the country - people had to pay a charge for them recently.

Yes I believe my relations and friends who live in towns and cities should pay for their water, they don't know how good they have been having it. No need to conserve water because a well can run dry in lengthy dry spells which we do get, the public water supply rarely runs dry apart from when people are stupid like back in December 2010 when they left taps running to stop their pipes from freezing.
    Again no incentive to conserve water.

Tell me what incentives have there been to conserve water?
    The only way to make people think about water is to make them pay if they are too liberal with their use of it.

I am also sick of the far left saying the rich must pay for this that and the other. Do people like Clare Daly and Paul Murphy think rich people would be stupid enough to hang around if we were to basically rob them for being successful, these muppets would ruin the country.

Where in the jaysus to people come up with his crap. Its not people losing the water its the poor maintenance. How about taking the 1.2 billion and spend it on fixing the leaks rather than paying for meters.

And I would love nothing more than to get some land and build a house, Sure id love to have a lower property rate than urban dwellers. That would be great wouldnt it. Living Rural has benefits too so stop acting the codder. The same as living Urban has benefits. Eventually they balance each other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Genius

Of course.

Otherwise you are accumulating debt and will eventually face bankruptcy, once, twice or in Greece/Argentina'a cases, many times.

I cant talk to you, because i literally believe that you do not honestly believe anything you are saying. What so ever. That part is quite evident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Why are people even talking about privatisation when there is no evidence that it's actually going to happen to Irish Water. I would favour privatisation if there was competition in the market between different suppliers, but not if IW as a private company have a monopoly.

I cant talk to you, because i literally believe that you do not honestly believe anything you are saying. What so ever. That part is quite evident.

Well then don't. ;)

MadYaker wrote: »
    Why are people even talking about privatisation when there is no evidence that it's actually going to happen to Irish Water. I would favour privatisation if there was competition in the market between different suppliers, but not if IW as a private company have a monopoly.

Of course it won't happen.

But yes, only a fool or vested interest would not prefer privatisation with suppliers.

Of course it won't happen.

But yes, only a fool or vested interest would prefer privatisation with suppliers.

FYP

You can tell the crew in here with Shares in Veolia rubbing their hands in glee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

IW have rented a room off us for 1 year, it costs 400 Euro a week for the room and in the 3 months so far they have rented it, it has been used twice, it is stuff like this that irks me more about IW and just shows where some peoples money will be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

MadYaker wrote: »

Would you believe wikileaks apparently does ,

If you subscribe to that type of site

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Where in the jaysus to people come up with his crap. Its not people losing the water its the poor maintenance. How about taking the 1.2 billion and spend it on fixing the leaks rather than paying for meters.

And I would love nothing more than to get some land and build a house, Sure id love to have a lower property rate than urban dwellers. That would be great wouldnt it. Living Rural has benefits too so stop acting the codder. The same as living Urban has benefits. Eventually they balance each other out.

People left taps on to stop them freezing in temperatures that went below -15C in December 2010.
    Yes there are leaks, but people left taps on too.

You have a lower property tax in rural areas but you also won't have all these facilities on your doorstep - water, sewage, public lighting, transport, footpaths, shops, gas pipelines, broadband.
    Houses in my area are expensive as it is a high amenity area due to the scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

We already pay for water.

and likewise we pay for the social welfare bill of 1000's whove never worked a day in their life amongest. social welfare is our biggest drain on resources and is the most population.

we are not borrowing money to pay off bankers or increase water quality, we are borrowing it to give it back to the social welfare system, which is one of the most generous in the world.

every country charges for water, but very few hand out almost 50% of their take ins, on welfare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Oh but it was left with them. The Councils are doing EXACTLY what they were doing with water all along, and will continue to for 12 years, now though they have to include Irish Water in the endless stream of bureaucracy, pun intended.

Wow! So the waterworks is still in the hands of the councils and IW is just to make a profit of our backs.

I have a problem with the proposals that the government came out with this morning in relation to tax reliefs and sw assistance of 100 euro. It's not sitting well with me to me quite honest. 1) maybe there are people who fall outside of these two brackets that would need help like for example like those who were once self employed but are now unemployed and receiving no sw help or isn't working or paying tax and giving a tax credit would be useless for them. How about a house of students studying away at college who would fall outside of these two categories. How something like that work in shared rental properties?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

People left taps on to stop them freezing in temperatures that went below -15C in December 2010.
    Yes there are leaks, but people left taps on too.

Been an f'ing long winter......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

A two-pronged approach agreed by senior ministers will see the introduction of new tax relief measures and financial subsidies in tomorrow's Budget, the Irish Independent can reveal.
    The Coalition plans to provide relief through both the tax and social welfare systems in a move that is intended to cover every household in the country.
    The proposals, which were signed off by the government's Economic Management Council (EMC), will see householders receive a tax refund worth up to €100 from their water charges bill.
    The package of relief from water charges has been improved, following intensifying opposition to the introduction of water charges.
    Taxpayers will be able to claim tax relief from their water charges worth up to €100 a year at the lower income tax rate of 20pc. The bill for a family of two adults and two children is estimated at €278, meaning tax relief of €55.60.
    On the social welfare side, the number of people who will get a €100 subsidy off their tax bills will increase. The Government's initial plans saw the subsidy being offered to 415,000 who receive the Households Benefit Package, including the over 70s, carers and people with disabilities.
    But this number of beneficiaries has now been substantially expanded to include the long-term unemployed and a large number of social welfare recipients who already get the Fuel Allowance. There are currently over 278,000 deemed to be long-termed unemployed, meaning they have been out of work for over 12 months.

Another absolute f*cking farce.

Awful pity there isn't a General Election next year.

and likewise we pay for the social welfare bill of 1000's whove never worked a day in their life amongest. social welfare is our biggest drain on resources and is the most population.

we are not borrowing money to pay off bankers or increase water quality, we are borrowing it to give it back to the social welfare system, which is one of the most generous in the world.

every country charges for water, but very few hand out almost 50% of their take ins, on welfare.

There's little doubt welfare should be slashed, but your figures are all confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Xenji wrote: »
    IW have rented a room off us for 1 year, it costs 400 Euro a week for the room and in the 3 months so far they have rented it, it has been used twice, it is stuff like this that irks me more about IW and just shows where some peoples money will be going.

You should have seen the size of the place they had at the ploughing,thousands spent on it yet about 99% of the people attending have their own water supply,they'd have been better served erecting it in the middle of Dublin (but then,they'd be faced with the public who they are targeting & would have to answer some very awkward questions)

zerks wrote: »
    You should have seen the size of the place they had at the ploughing,thousands spent on it yet about 99% of the people attending have their own water supply,they'd have been better served erecting it in the middle of Dublin (but then,they'd be faced with the public who they are targeting & would have to answer some very awkward questions)

Waste doesn't matter to Irish water. The taxpayer has deep pockets. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Waste doesn't matter to Irish water. The taxpayer has deep pockets. ;)

With virtually feck all left in them.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Another absolute f*cking farce.

Awful pity there isn't a General Election next year.

who would you vote for, Sinn Fein and their tax the "rich" policies? no thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

You are making out the social welfare expenditure is so high due to paying out benefits to good for nothing layabouts.

This is not true.

The country became too expensive to operate in like ESB rates, rents, wages and this resulted in many manufacturing plants closing and moving elsewhere to a country less expensive. This resulted in job losses.

Also the banks dried up and stopped lending and construction sector fell through. Resulting in job losses. Companies relying on credit from the banks would have closed too. Resulting in job losses. Which would have had an impact on the services and hospitality sector. With the downturn in other countries, tourism would have been hit, also hitting the services and hospitality sectors. Which resulted in job losses. More and more people turned to social welfare while the tax base fell.

Every country with a downturn experiences these problems. There will always be a deficit at a time of a downturn.

Also the SW expenditure doesn't just stop at unemployment assistance. There's child benefit, disability, carers, the sw pensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

who would you vote for, Sinn Fein and their tax the "rich" policies? no thanks.

That's the problem too. People saying FG and Lab out... so who do we put in? FF, SF, ...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    That's the problem too. People saying FG and Lab out... so who do we put in? FF, SF, ...?

that is 100% the problem. a party & whip based system isnt democracy. how are we expected to vote for politicians that, if in power, will have to toe the party line no matter what they promised during election (hello labour TDs, im talking to you).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement