Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

RobertKK wrote: »
    Yes some people think you need to shower twice a day, when we were children it was a bath once a week, there was no showers, we didn't die with basic hygiene inbetween.
    It is no surprise with all the cleaning that people are probably weaker than ever and more allergic to things than ever before, you need some dirt to build up immunity, there are people who take cleaning themselves to extreme and are in fact making themselves more vunerable.
    A pee in the toilet and not flushed before another pee is added will not disease a building and people.
    Flush for a number two, for one pee it is a waste of water.

yes, but we are from a different eora. properly built people unlike the mushy lot these days
    I don't even bother with a dishwasher, I use a basin in the sink and it saves a lot of water compared to a dishwasher.

i'm the same. but we use common sense. those who don't, won't start because of the water charges.
    There are people who put on a wash and don't fill the washing machine and so doing waste water by not waiting for a full wash.

i suspect those are very few, and very stupid. water charges won't change these people
    You have no solutions on how to conserve water as you seem to totally discount the need to conserve, people with Irish water will have an allowance before they pay extra.

i don't discount the need to conserve, i recognize that those who don't never will, and the reason for irish water and water charges isn't conservation but to raise money to implement a company to look after the water infrastructure.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

yes, but we are from a different eora. properly built people unlike the mushy lot these days

i'm the same. but we use common sense. those who don't, won't start because of the water charges.

i suspect those are very few, and very stupid. water charges won't change these people

i don't discount the need to conserve, i recognize that those who don't never will, and the reason for irish water and water charges isn't conservation but to raise money to implement a company to look after the water infrastructure.
    And to enrich the fat cats in Irish water.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

gladrags wrote: »
    How do you know?

Did Joan Phone Home?

Because as the protestors are so fond of repeatedly saying our government and civil service is useless and a mess of bureaucracy so there's no way it could have been analysed, costed and added to Tuesday's budget in less than 48 hours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

How do you know?

Did Joan Phone Home?

I love that scobies with no jobs find it odd that someone might have a phone provided to them from their employer.

Guess the dole office doesn't provide mobiles so that might be where the confusion arises.

JOAN RHYMES WITH PHONE AND SHE HAS ONE, HERP DERP I AM A GENIUS!!!!!!!11111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I love that scobies with no jobs find it odd that someone might have a phone provided to them from their employer.

Guess the dole office doesn't provide mobiles so that might be where the confusion arises.

JOAN RHYMES WITH PHONE AND SHE HAS ONE, HERP DERP I AM A GENIUS!!!!!!!11111111111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kinda like the people who believe everything a person earned earned over years of employment disappears into thin air the moment they get handed the p45. Or the people who don't understand that some people have family and friends who buy them presents from time to time.

Too many of us watching each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,942 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Wait until they hear that they are getting paid to get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

i checked my water meter and we have used 325 litres in 13 days. on average that is 25 litres per day for a couple living in the house. So on average that equates to 9125 litres for the year. So by my calculation we won't reach the allowance given. So will our water cost us anything for the year? As far as i know we will not be billed.

Something wrong with your meter!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

VinLieger wrote: »
    God I might actually watch it to see all the deluded crusties after todays news thinking they have actually made something happen when in reality the budget stuff was decided weeks if not months ago

Here's a question.

Do you think Prime Time will give a fair and balanced view of the water issue.

Here's a question.

Do you think Prime Time will give a fair and balanced view of the water issue.

How do you define fair and balanced?

From the view of someone who is anti-water charges I seriously doubt it because let's face they won't be happy unless the entire country agrees that they are the most hard done by in every regard.

But from the view of someone who is not necessarily pro-water charges but pro reducing the deficit, like me, cus it will save us in the long term then yes I think they will be.

Fair and balanced is an incredibly subjective term when it comes to an issue as polarising as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

• Advertisement

ItsHoggie wrote: »

Dressed in his best trackie.

Can't these people even attempt not to be the stereotypical serial protestor?

VinLieger wrote: »
    How do you define fair and balanced?

From the view of someone who is anti-water charges I seriously doubt it because let's face they won't be happy unless the entire country agrees that they are the most hard done by in every regard.

But from the view of someone who is not necessarily pro-water charges but pro reducing the deficit, like me, cus it will save us in the long term then yes I think they will be.

Fair and balanced is an incredibly subjective term when it comes to an issue as polarising as this.

So I gather that you believe RTE will represent your perspective fairly.

And RTE will not favour the protesters,who marched last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Darwin award in (X - 1) ... (X - 2) ... (X - 3) ...

Didn't a guy go on hunger strike abainst Household Charges. He gave up when he realised no one was paying him any heed. he stood in Dublin SW Byelection and actually got 90 odd votes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

A man has gone on a hunger strike outside Cork city hall over water charges.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gary-Coleman-Hunger-Strike/723836351043242

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Didn't a guy go on hunger strike abainst Household Charges. He gave up when he realised no one was paying him any heed. he stood in Dublin SW Byelection and actually got 90 odd votes!

From the link....
    Please support Gary Coleman on his hunger strike too have the water charges incork city stopped.. Please like and share this page

:confused:

nonsense, our boy tony gave up because his health was deteriorating. fair play to him for getting 90 votes. you need to get over your hatred for our boy tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

nonsense, our boy tony gave up because his health was deteriorating. fair play to him for getting 90 votes. you need to get over your hatred for our boy tony

Ironic for a bloke no one was paying any heed to, maryanne feels the need to mention him several times a week. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

He gave up his hunger strike because his health was deteriorating!! :pac:
    Not the sharpest tool in the box, is he!

I don't hate anybody. I'm a Godfearing gal. Love everyone, I do.

• Advertisement

...getting 90 votes. you need to get over your hatred for our boy tony

So do a lot of people, apparently.

Ironic for a bloke no one was paying any heed to, maryanne feels the need to mention him several times a week. :cool:

Keeping tabs? Can't remember the last time I mentioned him myself!

So I gather that you believe RTE will represent your perspective fairly.

And RTE will not favour the protesters,who marched last Saturday.

Well I consider the protestor's perspective to be slightly warped from reality so it's hard to represent it in a way the protestor's would consider fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Disgusting. You should post it on the protestors thread.

Did people say that? I'm pretty sure they were calling the people who were involved in trying to stop the meters as scumbags because that's what the videos showed. I'd love to see a post where someone called all anti-water meter people are scumbags if you can find one to back up your claim.

They didn't make them either.

You can go back through the entire thread yourself. It's there.

If there's ever a word that needs to be deleted from the English language it's "scumbag".
    A horrible word. Hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,568 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Water meters are no different in concept than the introduction of the NCT testing system, it was "required" by Europe (or the IMF/Troika) and resisted for as long as possible by local politics, because there was no way that it was "acceptable", even if desperately needed to get some of the heaps of scrap off the road, and eventually, the line was "shure, we had no choice, we're part of Europe now, and we had to be in "their" system, so it was sweetened with scrappage allowances, and over a relatively short period of time, the worst of the scrap was off the road, and it did make a difference.

IW will be no different, but the theory is that because it's outside of political influence and control, if they say "repair this water main", then it will be done, and properly funded, rather than long fingered so that some other "pet" scheme can get higher priority, which has too often been the case when the local authorities were "managing" water.

Water has been a political football since I can't remember when, and no one has had the courage to stand up and say that providing water without some sort of usage factor charge was unsustainable. Now, Europe (Troika/IMF) has given the politicians an out, they have/had no choice, and water charges are coming in. the fact that the significant parts of the rest of the world pay water/waste water charges should tell us something.

Water, and the related waste disposal, which is being conveniently ignored by most people here, costs, big time, and it's become exponentially more expensive in recent times as a result of anti pollution regulations that also have come from Europe. I know, my father managed a waste water treatment facility for 100,000 people in the UK, and I did holiday work doing things like take trade effluent samples so they could work out what the commercial waste disposal fees were going to be, and this was 40 years ago, so charges are nothing new.

What's wrong with the way this is being done is that it's yet another overpaid, over bonused overstaffed semi state that's taken the dead wood that the County Councils were only too happy to see moved on, as it's the only way they could get rid of the non performing people.

I've spent the better part of 15 YEARS beating my head against a wall trying to get Meath County Council to resolve some fundamental design issues with a sewer that was responsible for €120K flooding damage in 2002. I'm now waiting for IW to respond to an E-mail that was sent to them on the same issue, as they are now responsible for the infrastructure that's responsible for the problem. I'm not going to hold my breath, I suspect that they will be as equally unresponsive as MCC have been.

Another issue that's been ignored is the quality of the water being delivered. The fact that it's drinkable does NOT mean that it's acceptable, 18 months after we moved in here, I had to spend nearly €250 repairing our hot water system, as it had been furred up by limescale, and that sort of expense was then required on a regular basis to keep it working, until we fitted a water softener in 2000, which solved the problems of the lime scale, but it's now going to cost me even more than the regular bags of salt to keep the softener working, I will now have to pay a surcharge to IW because I want an acceptable quality of water, as they apparently won't be resolving excessive hardness issues in their supply.

I can only hope that if it's outside the EU directive quality, they will be forced to either improve it, or reduce the charge to the areas that they are supplying sub standard quality to. Some chance of that though, given the shambles of how this has been set up.

As for Politics, which is underlying all of this

FF. After what they did to the country, NO WAY, not for a very long time. Way too many self serving people who only looked after No 1 to the detriment of the rest of us
    FG. are starting to look like a blue version of FF, they've not delivered on way too many fundamental changes that were needed and proposed at the last election.
    Labour, Don't trust them, not with the way that the unions control too much of the critical aspects of the infrastructure
    Independents, Way too many single issue people with no real understanding or plan on how the country should be run
    SF. Don't start me on that option,

What's left? Nothing, and that's the scary thing, there is no party that has an acceptable and reasonable agenda for making Ireland what it could be, and doing so on behalf of the people, rather than looking after their own narrow and personal agendas.

Budget soon, that's going to be interesting to watch. Lots of people running scared about their chances at the next election. Pity they won't be facing the same pressures that the huge number of people out of work are facing, why are politicians so special, if they don't get the vote, that's no different than someone losing their job because the company they worked for has failed, or closed, or moved to a cheaper economy, so why do politicians get special treatment when they lose.

Back to IW, We're stuck with it, what's needed is for the relevant people at the top to grasp the nettle and make the changes that are needed to make IW an acceptable operation. That means No bonuses until they are up, working and delivering on things like leak reduction, it means having a charging structure that's realistic in terms of the sums a normal family has to pay for the water they need, it means having acceptable quality of water, it means getting value for money from the money that should be ring fenced for sorting out decades of under investment and neglect. If that happens, maybe IW will be an acceptable organisation.

Best post on the thread by far. Obviously makes far too much sense as it well given the way its been roundly ignored.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Best post on the thread by far. Obviously makes far too much sense as it well given the way its been roundly ignored.

It is indeed

Thanks for reposting

Phoebas wrote: »
    He gave up his hunger strike because his health was deteriorating!! :pac:
    Not the sharpest tool in the box, is he!
    he still got a few votes, and is fondly remembered by Maryanne84 who keeps talking about him to this day. i'd say thats a job well done

It's being discussed on Prime Time now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's being discussed on Prime Time now.

Coalition waffler sticking to the script.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement