Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

hiFidelity wrote: »
    At least Sinn Fein can't be accused of being in it for the money. Their members work for the average industrial wage.

Yea, but it's not like they give the rest of it back to the taxpayer, it goes into the Sinn Fein party moneybox.

Their politicians cost the taxpayer the exact same as all other politicians.

Sinn Fein harped on about budget cuts in NI and then when they actually had to make a decision they did a complete U-turn and supported cuts of almost 100 million.

The idea that they are any different than the rest is nonsense - it's easy to spout populist nonsense when you're not actually in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Forced austerity measures are not democratic nor was bailing out the Banks against our will.

The sooner a new system is brought in and money is phased out the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

FREETV wrote: »
    Nobody agreed with Cowen about bailing out the Banks.

I told a stupid carpenter earning 1K a week three years before the crash that it would happen in late Summer to September of 2008 and that the bubble would burst and that the Construction Industry and all of the unsustainable house prices and continous building of houses/apartment blocks would come to an end. Many of which would be left empty/vacant and he totally disagreed with me.
    Another fool who voted for that Bertie treasonous Gob....e!

Crashes are cyclical because the monetary system is a debt based economy con!

You are all slaves to the Elites!
    The system is rigged that way and the Banks all know that the mugs will always have no choice but to bail them out.

Can't imagine why he didn't listen to you!!!

Oh wait though didn't you say:

By the way Hitler didn't commit suicide either, he used many doubles, he and Eva Braun fled to Argentina, many Nazi Scientists joined/formed NASA.
    The F.B.I know this, they have files regarding this so go read them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I told a stupid carpenter earning 1K a week three years before the crash that it would happen in late Summer to September of 2008 and that the bubble would burst and that the Construction Industry and all of the unsustainable house prices and continous building of houses/apartment blocks would come to an end. Many of which would be left empty/vacant and he totally disagreed with me.
    Another fool who voted for that Bertie treasonous Gob....e!

Any chance of tonight's winning lotto numbers?

Forced austerity measures are not democratic nor was bailing out the Banks against our will.

Barter maybe?

I have 30metres of tinfoil, what will you give me for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

@ Geeksauce

What I meant was that people should be allowed to elect who they want.

@ Valetta, you know damn well what I mean.

@ Geeksauce

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Any Government from here on in that does a one hundred and eighty degree turn on their pre- election promises will be forced out of power promptly and could be gone for decades afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They were implemented by the democratically elected government under our current system of government, you want to change it fair enough but it is a democratic process whether you like it or not.

Can you explain what you mean by money being phased out?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sinn Fein will do whatever the Electorate wants if they wish to get in power and stay there or they will be banished just like the Green Party was.

If I wasn't good or performed to the best of my abilities in the various jobs that I worked in I would have been sacked so there should be a performance system too for Politicians and more Referendums on important economic and social issues, particularily national resources or matters that will effect environmental health.

Doing whatever the electorate say is not good. We went to the polls years ago and voted this government in. By voting them in we trusted them to run this country and make the sometimes hard decisions. We do not get to pick and choose what decisions they make. Our democratic power reaches to the polls.

Some peoples expectations of a government are totally unrealistic saying that though I do feel these parties will regret imposing austerity. The main problem I have with this government is there is no middle ground, their failure is backing the banks to the hilt and piling the pain on the electorate.

A radical shake up is needed for this country, Sinn Fein are a long time waiting to get into power and deserve a shot, it can be no worse.

• Advertisement

You are allowed, and you have done. But nobody else wants SF in power so tough shít.

Any Government from here on in that does a one hundred and eighty degree turn on their pre- election promises will be forced out of power promptly and could be gone for decades afterwards.

There's 4 parties currently available to form a government with since a bunch of Independents cannot possibly form a stable working government so like it or not eventually parties will get another go cus there's no other option.

VinLieger wrote: »
    They were implemented by the democratically elected government under our current system of government, you want to change it fair enough but it is a democratic process whether you like it or not.

Can you explain what you mean by money being phased out?

I mean get rid of money witin the next twenty five to fifty years time or sooner.

The Fiat Currency and Banking System is a total scam.
    It was designed to enslave and make Elite families wealthier and have the most power over the common man.

I mean get rid of money witin the next twenty five to fifty years time or sooner.

The Fiat Currency and Banking System is a total scam.
    It was designed to enslave and make Elite families wealthier and have the most power over the common man.

Thought so, good luck with that!

smash wrote: »
    You are allowed, and you have done. But nobody else wants SF in power so tough shít.

Unfortunately that's not really true, there are a lot of people who believe the populist garbage Sinn Fein are spouting, there is really only one reason I would want Sinn Fein to get in and it's to see the look on the faces of the people who vote for them when they turn around and tell them NONE of what they promised is actually possible.

rob316 wrote: »
    Doing whatever the electorate say is not good. We went to the polls years ago and voted this government in. By voting them in we trusted them to run this country and make the sometimes hard decisions. We do not get to pick and choose what decisions they make. Our democratic power reaches to the polls.

Some peoples expectations of a government are totally unrealistic saying that though I do feel these parties will regret imposing austerity. The main problem I have with this government is there is no middle ground, their failure is backing the banks to the hilt and piling the pain on the electorate.

A radical shake up is needed for this country, Sinn Fein are a long time waiting to get into power and deserve a shot, it can be no worse.

I never voted for these Idiots because I could see through their lies and ready their body language.
    If something seems to good to be true, particularily in pre-election manifesto promises and a party has a spokesperson that was a Trade Union Organiser then you know that it has got be be as the Americans put it bunk.

I never voted for these Idiots because I could see through their lies and ready their body language.
    If something seems to good to be true, particularily in pre-election manifesto promises and a party has a spokesperson that was in a Trade Union then you know that it has got be be as the Americans put it bunk.

Again where were you with your crystal ball? Who did you vote for or did you vote at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

If something seems to good to be true, particularily in pre-election manifesto promises and a party has a spokesperson that was a Trade Union Organiser then you know that it has got be be as the Americans put it bunk.

You get the same say as everyone else as to who gets into government.

Your alternative is to run yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Unfortunately that's not really true, there are a lot of people who believe the populist garbage Sinn Fein are spouting, there is really only one reason I would want Sinn Fein to get in and it's to see the look on the faces of the people who vote for them when they turn around and tell them NONE of what they promised is actually possible.

you could replace Sinn Fein there with FF or FG and it'd still be accurate.
    that's the reality of Irish politics, promise the moon and the stars to get your foot in the door, and then to hell with all of that.

Ya you mightn't have but the majority did. That's how it works.

We are stuck with them until the next general election or if a dissolution is called which I don't see happening.

• Advertisement

Yea I'd like to see them in power for a month just so the supporters could see how it will never work. But only on condition that it was maximum a month and anything they introduced could be reverted! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

I agree with you there Rob. FG talked a good story on the run up to the election.

They promised many things that they didn't deliver on.

The policy of jobs for the boys and cronyism is alive and well. Many of us thought that was left in history's dustbin with FF.

They communicate very poorly to the people of the country. They appear to talk down to the people in an arrogant and condescending way.

All this as they prioritise the interests of big business and the banks.

Oh, and I almost forgot:

'Tell me when will you be mine
    Tell me quango, quango, quango'

I am too honest to run, uncorruptable and I would speak my mind too often and cause trouble for myself and others in a party if and when they were out of line, telling lies and not doing their jobs properly.

The Ceann Comhairle would be put in his place too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

THIS government established the Irish Fiscal Advisory Council themselves and give them a statuory footing in 2011 and has now (to buy back votes) decided to ignore their advice.
    That is 'populist' government in operation.
    However the Council says that because this is the first budget since Ireland exited the bailout, being 'prudent' would show the government is serious about fixing the remaining problems in the economy.

And it highlights the high levels of debt, urging the coalition to go ahead with a 2 billion euro cut next month.

I agree with you there Rob. FG talked a good story on the run up to the election.

They promised many things that they didn't deliver on.

The policy of jobs for the boys and cronyism is alive and well. Many of us thought that was left in history's dustbin with FF.

They communicate very poorly to the people of the country. They appear to talk down to the people in an arrogant and condescending way.

All this as they prioritise the interests of big business and the banks.

Oh, and I almost forgot:

'Tell me when will you be mine
    Tell me quango, quango, quango'

Yep this is my problem with the current coalition, they are totally out of touch with the electorate. Labour will never see power again, and FG after sitting for so long on the other side we all expected better, all they have done is what IMO FF would have done. Nothing radical which is what was needed in the time of an economic crisis.
    Austerity has been awful, and should never have been considered, we still have a flat economy.

Sinn Fein for all there talk are a party of down to earth hard working people, who are far detached from the elite at the top unlike FF and FG/Labour.

Every government has to make unpopular decisions, I just feel the current crowd has made too many.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    THIS government established the Irish Fiscal Advisory Council themselves and give them a statuory footing in 2011 and has now (to buy back votes) decided to ignore their advice.
    That is 'populist' government in operation.

Giving some small concessions back is more populist than sinn fein promising the sun moon and starts where they wil remove both the LPT and Water charge while taxing the rich folk to the hilt who are the cause of every woe in society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The rest of their wage goes into a pot from which they draw it for expenses, such as Mary-Lous first class round trip to Australia.

Except that's not exactly true, in fact it's a complete lie.
    The party expects to raise $15,000 (€10,600) from eight fundraising dinners Down Under, where Ms McDonald addressed republican supporters in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane.

Ms McDonald claimed the money would cover her travel and accommodation costs, plus those of Mid-Ulster MP Francie Molloy, who accompanied her on the trip.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/mary-lou-mcdonalds-business-class-flights-cost-fundraisers-10k-30567384.html

And no, I'm on defending it either. Economy does the rest of us, I've only been business class once in my life, which I got bumped up to for voluntary taking a later flight from Hong Kong to Heathrow.

Politicians aren't royalty tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Giving some small concessions back is more populist than sinn fein promising the sun moon and starts where they wil remove both the LPT and Water charge while taxing the rich folk to the hilt who are the cause of every woe in society?

So it's ok to be 'populist' then when your seat is on the line.

p.s. And your Daily Mail assessment of SF's alternative (and costed) budget illuminates more than adequately, the level of your political knowledge.

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    So it's ok to be 'populist' then when your seat is on the line.

p.s. And your Daily Mail assessment of SF's alternative (and costed) budget illuminates more than adequately, the level of your political knowledge.

What politician isn't populist?

Also there are level's of populism, SF are telling blatant lies while FG have actually made an effort in this budget to give back a bit of small relief.

And I have looked at their "costed" budget which introduces an effective tax rate of 73% for those on an income over 100k. Good luck with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement