Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

FREETV wrote: »
    snip...
    Any fool could become a Carpenter,
    snip...

A fool can be trained to do any job, it takes skill and talent to do a job well though. A master craftsman in carpentry is something to aspire to and be admired and not a fools job.

Just saying.

*also I'm not a tradesman ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

rob316 wrote: »
    Next protest there will be 200,000 out that is all they have achieved today. People can smell blood and will go for it now.

In fairness to the government, this was a great budget today for everyone in Ireland and I would be in favour of calling off any further protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

I know two more Carpenters and they were really thick in school.
    I did woodwork classes in First Year in Secondary School and achieved better results at the time then they did.

Enda Kenny and the Coalition Government will have their smirky grins wiped off their faces in the next General Election.

Did anybody see the humorous pages on some chaps Facebook page of him recently?

I am in favour of a mass protest to be held outside the Dail while it is in session on a weekday.
    Put that in your pipes Coalition Government!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Sad thing is a lot of gullible goons will fall for it.

Sad things is a lot of people are being led astray by the same groups who told them the property tax would go away. This time the fairy tale is that there will be some mass campaign of non-payment.

Not too long now until the Christmas shopping frenzy when Ireland no doubt will again top the spending charts in Europe. Won't be a word about water then.

http://www.creditunion.ie/communications/pressreleases/2013/title,7944,en.php

Irish consumers will spend an average of €590 over Christmas 2013 compared to €527 in 2012. Middle age adults are likely to spend more than other age groups and surprisingly males expect to spend more than their female counterparts for Christmas 2013.

I'm all for spending more btw, Ireland has one of the highest savings ratios in Europe. More of that dead money needs to be released into the economy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Former Waterford county manager Ray O’Dwyer, who retired with a package totalling €334,000, has been appointed to a senior management position at Irish Water.

He is among four former local authority managers who is now part of the nine-person senior management team at the water utility company which has been embroiled in controversy over an €83m budget on consultancy contracts.

<mod snip>
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/irish-water-manager-had-retired-with-334k-256103.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

They were recruited by open recruitment. They have senior management experience so would have had an advantage in getting the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Exactly. Where exactly do you expect to get people with the relevant experience and know-how?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Rabble Rabble Rabble forum
    >

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 The Rugged Chuck Norris

All this nepotism and incest reminds me of Texas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I think they should have just picked some randomers off the streets rather than these highly experienced people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Anatom wrote: »
    Exactly. Where exactly do you expect to get people with the relevant experience and know-how?

What "know how" are we speaking of here? The ability to mismanage in their previous posts and lose significant sums of money as in Tierneys case?

TD Luke 'Ming' Flanagan Questions Chief Executive of Irish Water, John Tierney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2MgN0wzs1c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

EazyD wrote: »
    What "know how" are we speaking of here? The ability to mismanage in their previous posts and lose significant sums of money as in Tierneys case?

Where do you know of any mismanagement in those cases? None that I'm aware of.

As for Tierney losing "significant sums of money", he wasn't exactly squirrelling it away in his own back pocket - the whole board, the government and the local communities were all over that issue at the time so it wasn't just him. That said, it is something he needs to come out and deal with because its still hanging over his head and in a vacuum the space is just being filled with speculation as to what went on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

I think they should have just picked some randomers off the streets rather than these highly experienced people.

that's not the point really , they may have relevant experience but it looks like real "nod and wink" carry on.

All these high paid public servants all happened to land on their feet in the same company that incidentially has a massive deal with the state.

Do you know they were hired for their ability ? or maybe it was their access to people in government or civil service.

It may not be untoward but it does hint at soemthing afoot and people have a right to question this. In fact not questioning would be idiotic.
    Mocking somebody for questioning this is causes the same yahoo culture that were all claim to rally against.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I am outraged!

Oh no actually, this seems like a reasonable hiring decision.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Not been many words about water in this thread now that the budget has changed things.

Anyone that was saying they will be paying for water twice has just had that rug pulled from under them, I don't think it was any accident that the reduction in direct taxation is about the same as the estimated charges for water.

Not really a surprise.

Doesn't change that I despise the way that IW has been set up, and that wayyyyy too many of the top people are the wrong people, with the wrong track record, and the wrong background, and overpaid as well.

No real surprise there either, another state quango was always going to be stuffed full of people from other state organisations, it's the only way to move the dead wood around some. Oh for some real accountability and responsibility.

The day someone is fired for failing to meet targets for leak reduction will be the day when I change my opinion about IW and its structure. Hell will probably freeze over sooner.

I sent them an e-mail about an issue last week, it was supposed to have been responded to within 5 working days. they've got about 5 hours left. Why am I not surprised? Not even an acknowledgement, let alone a real response.

Another waste of time and space, and a massive cost for an organisation that clearly can't and won't perform as it should.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Geez! Someone legitimately leaves a job and gets another he is qualified for. Big deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

let them, irish water are screwed! off with their heads!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Geez! Someone legitimately leaves a job and gets another he is qualified for. Big deal.

Which is fine.

The staggering severance packages senior council/county managers leave on though is galling.

• Advertisement

What the fúck kind of experience does this crowd have? Can any of the cheerleaders above answer that?

If they had experience in anything related to running a national water company, perhaps they mightn't have needed to spend so many millions on consultancy? Not to mention the €250million that was refused to them based on being deemed unnecessary - what's up with that? They either need it or they don't, wouldn't be like these lads to be wasting money now, would it?

It seems to me as if the only responsibility these guys have is to google relevant consultancy companies and write cheques. The end.

I don't see any international or private Irish utility companies vying for the services of these super "experienced" board members - could it be that their experience only pertains to who they know, rather than what they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

thread has wrong title should have read 4 failed ex local authority managers rewarded with positions as senior managers for irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Not been many words about water in this thread now that the budget has changed things.

Anyone that was saying they will be paying for water twice has just had that rug pulled from under them, I don't think it was any accident that the reduction in direct taxation is about the same as the estimated charges for water.

Not really a surprise.

Doesn't change that I despise the way that IW has been set up, and that wayyyyy too many of the top people are the wrong people, with the wrong track record, and the wrong background, and overpaid as well.

No real surprise there either, another state quango was always going to be stuffed full of people from other state organisations, it's the only way to move the dead wood around some. Oh for some real accountability and responsibility.

The day someone is fired for failing to meet targets for leak reduction will be the day when I change my opinion about IW and its structure. Hell will probably freeze over sooner.

I sent them an e-mail about an issue last week, it was supposed to have been responded to within 5 working days. they've got about 5 hours left. Why am I not surprised? Not even an acknowledgement, let alone a real response.

Another waste of time and space, and a massive cost for an organisation that clearly can't and won't perform as it should.

Don't have an issue paying for water myself but I completely agree with everything regarding how IW has been setup, its disgusting the cronyism that has seeped into it and the grubby backgrounds some of those on the board have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Source for the OP? Would like to cite it in future debates.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

VinLieger wrote: »
    Don't have an issue paying for water myself but I completely agree with everything regarding how IW has been setup, its disgusting the cronyism that has seeped into it and the grubby backgrounds some of those on the board have.

I don't have an issue with paying an appropriate rate either, as I've mentioned earlier, my father managed a 100,000 population waste water treatment system for over 30 years, and I did some part time work for him during school holidays, so I know a lot more than most about what's involved with water treatment.

I'm not happy that I could end up paying more because I have to treat the water on arrival here, it's so hard, if I don't, the hot water system (among other things) gets destroyed by lime scale, at significant cost, so the only solution was to put a softener in, and that has to be regenerated (using water) on a regular basis. You know it's bad when there's limescale in the cold storage tanks.

The local water didn't meet EU standards, and for years, Meath CC were getting derogations to allow them to continue to supply outside of the requirement, I've not checked recently, but if it's not acceptable, then they should not be allowed to charge as if it were.

Water needed taking out of political influence, for charging and inappropriate influence reasons, but the way it's been done was the worst of all the options, a quango on top of the old (bad) local authority structure just perpetuates the existing failed structure, and it's becoming clear that IW is not really working, they can't even respond to e-mails yet they are so disorganised.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

You may have an issue now as there is a story on the Irish Independent website that Irish Water will be allowed to increase the prices every year.

I told you all this would happen. Bye bye Fine Gael, Labour and Fianna Fail!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-will-be-allowed-raise-prices-every-year-29798831.html

Over the weekend, Irish water confirmed that it had hired 150 of its 500 staff from local authorities.

The Irish Independent understands that dozens more staff also previously worked for local authorities at some point in their career.

Irish Water admitted that many of the jobs filled were not done through fully open competition, with certain roles only advertised at first to employees of local authorities, Bord Gais and the Department of Environment.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/three-irish-water-staff-getting-pensions-from-previous-council-jobs-30625615.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/irish-water-manager-had-retired-with-334k-256103.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Irish Water admitted that many of the jobs filled were not done through fully open competition, with certain roles only advertised at first to employees of local authorities, Bord Gais and the Department of Environment.
    Don't see a major issue with this. If you're looking for people with expertise on water infrastructure in Ireland, it seems like it would be cheaper to directly headhunt these from known sources rather than advertise and have to filter through candidates who can't possibly have the requisite experience.

Facebook actually do stuff like this. They invite all of the tech staff of a local tech company to an "open day" that they dress up as a seminar on best practices, and while it's going on, the in-house facebook recruiters mince among the visitors and collect names of people to directly target later on.

People tend to get very rabbly when they hear that a job hasn't been openly advertised, but there's no legal requirement to do so and in many cases it's a pointless exercise when the experience required is very specific and the pool of candidates known to be small.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

FREETV wrote: »
    You may have an issue now as there is a story on the Irish Independent website that Irish Water will be allowed to increase the prices every year.

I told you all this would happen. Bye bye Fine Gael, Labour and Fianna Fail!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-will-be-allowed-raise-prices-every-year-29798831.html

Just FYI for anyone check the date on the above story, its a year old and all of the information in it has changed since then

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Just FYI for anyone check the date on the above story, its a year old and all of the information in it has changed since then
    Yes true, I am multitasking here so I didn't read the date it was published. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement