Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

FREETV wrote: »
    You may have an issue now as there is a story on the Irish Independent website that Irish Water will be allowed to increase the prices every year.

I told you all this would happen. Bye bye Fine Gael, Labour and Fianna Fail!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-will-be-allowed-raise-prices-every-year-29798831.html

WOW. You DO know that story's almost 12 months old. BTW, who would you have replace the above mentioned FG, Lab & FF? Direct Democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Yes, I am busy doing different tasks so I missed the publishing date.

I think that even Sinn Fein should deserve a chance to prove us all wrong.
    Couldn't be any worse than the current shower in power at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Were any Red C/Millard Brown polls comissioned on the subject of IW or water metering? I have tried googling but it doesn't seem to be working out for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

WOW. You DO know that story's almost 12 months old. BTW, who would you have replace the above mentioned FG, Lab & FF? Direct Democracy?

Well, the Shinners promised to increase spending to peak levels, borrow an additional €13bn for a job a programme, while eliminating all tax increases initiated since the debt crisis began.....

What could possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Famous last words, Sinn Fein seem to think there is some kind of endless money tree they keep referring to as "the rich" that will help offset all the reductions in tax and removals of charges they plan to bring in.

Their most recent budget proposals would mean an effective tax rate of 73% for anyone over 100k, yes I can see that working out really well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

I saw Mary Lou on Vincent Browne last night saying over and over again that if Sinn Fein were in power the property taxes and water charges would be abolished. Even looking beyond this as populist nonsense I was very interested to hear how Sinn Fein would then fill the Revenue hole left when they abolish these charges. Mary Lou didn't mention that for some reason, seems that Sinn Fein would get rid of charges to win votes then screw the country as a big thank you.

geeksauce wrote: »
    I saw Mary Lou on Vincent Browne last night saying over and over again that if Sinn Fein were in power the property taxes and water charges would be abolished. Even looking beyond this as populist nonsense I was very interested to hear how Sinn Fein would then fill the Revenue hole left when they abolish these charges. Mary Lou didn't mention that for some reason, seems that Sinn Fein would get rid of charges to win votes then screw the country as a big thank you.

Well, specifically for IW & LPT (as per their pre budget statement)

- An increase in inheritance/gift tax
    - An increase in cap gains
    - A wealth tax over assets €1m in value.

However its the election promises that were scary...

Their promise to restore spending cuts back to peak levels plus eliminate tax increases would cost approx €12bn per year, x 5 years + 13bn 'jobs programme'.

A term of Shinnernomics would cost the taxpayer more than the bank bailouts.

Well, specifically for IW & LPT (as per their pre budget statement)

- An increase in inheritance/gift tax
    - An increase in cap gains
    - A wealth tax over assets €1m in value.

However its the election promises that were scary...

Their promise to restore spending cuts plus eliminate tax increases would cost approx €12bn per year, x 5 years + 13bn 'jobs programme'.

A term of Shinnernomics would cost the taxpayer more than the bank bailouts.

Good god, they are worse than I imagined, how would anyone want to vote for them after reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Well any political part in the future should be legally forced in to keeping their promises.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/make-pre-election-pledges-legal-275535.htm

Well any political part in the future should be legally forced in to keeping their promises.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/make-pre-election-pledges-legal-275535.htm

As a Shinner, you better hope not!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Former Waterford county manager Ray O’Dwyer, who retired with a package totalling €334,000, has been appointed to a senior management position at Irish Water.

He is among four former local authority managers who is now part of the nine-person senior management team at the water utility company which has been embroiled in controversy over an €83m budget on consultancy contracts.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny said such information should be in the public domain, “there is nothing to hide”.

Mr O’Dwyer retired from Waterford County Council in Sept 2011 with a gross lump sum of €204,871.00, a gross severance gratuity of € 66,255 and an annual allowance of €63,335.

He was then appointed by Environment Minister Phil Hogan, to head up a dedicated programme management Office to support local public service reform — a position for which he was paid €11,750 per annum.

Irish Water last night confirmed Mr O’Dwyer is employed as head of operations and maintenance.

John Dempsey — head of finance in Irish Water — previously worked as head of finance in Kilkenny County Council.

Mr Tierney also worked at Kilkenny County Council before Galway City and Dublin City Councils.

Angela Costello — who previously worked at Dublin City Council — has been appointed as human resources manager.

Mr Tierney told the Oireachtas committee last week “all of the roles on the management team were filled by open recruitment”.

Joanne Tierney is the daughter of Mr John Tierney,
    Is it curious at all at all that the fine public servant's daughter is now on the payroll of RPS-water in Australia?

last November the European Commission ordered Dublin City Council to terminate its contract with RPS for client services and public relations at the Poolbeg incinerator after it described the contract as an “illegal situation”.

The contract cost around €30million even though it was originally estimated to be €8.3million.

RPS advised Dublin City Council on the Poolbeg incinerator project while John Tierney was Dublin City Manager.

Mr Tierney is now the managing director of Irish Water and two former executives with RPS are now working for Irish Water.

Former managing director of RPS Jerry Grant is Irish Water’s head of asset management

while former head of project communications at RPS, Elizabeth Arnett, is now head of communications and corporate services at Irish Water.

WOW.."well qualified people get jobs they are well qualified to do" shocker

:eek::eek::eek:

Before we know it lawyers will be getting jobs as judges and medical Doctors will be appointed to hospital boards, I mean where will it end?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mod

Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Before we know it lawyers will be getting jobs as judges and medical Doctors will be appointed to hospital boards, I mean where will it end?:rolleyes:

In the Irish museum of modern art.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Not in this case,more like a culture of "jobs for the boys".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭Daith

Er, Tierney oversaw the Poolbeg incinerator plan which so far has spent just in the reason of what 90 million?

I suppose that's what he does though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

geeksauce wrote: »
    I saw Mary Lou on Vincent Browne last night saying over and over again that if Sinn Fein were in power the property taxes and water charges would be abolished. Even looking beyond this as populist nonsense I was very interested to hear how Sinn Fein would then fill the Revenue hole left when they abolish these charges.

SF would introduce:

higher income taxes
    less tax relief on pensions
    higher capital taxes: CGT and CAT
    a wealth tax
    re-introduce the NPPR tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Reformed Character

Geuze wrote: »
    SF would introduce:

higher income taxes
    a wealth tax

Not to mention their pre budget promise to make private health insurance totally unaffordable.

Geuze wrote: »
    SF would introduce:

higher income taxes
    a wealth tax

Tax the rich to pay the poor I suppose is their party motto. Modern day Robin Hood politics

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Just saw this on Twitter regarding tenants that refuse to pay the water charges

https://twitter.com/IrishWater/status/522319646280916992

They really are making it up as they go along.

So, the tennant was liable..... However, now they've changed their mind & the user is no longer liable at all.

At the drop of a tweet we've gone from "user pays" to "property owner" pays.....

Which of course means that residents of local authority housing now have carte blanche to ignore the charge & pass it onto the council.....

Effing terrific, the homeowner shafted again.

Also.... Policy reversals by twitter must be a new low.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

They really are making it up as they go along.

So, the tennant was liable..... However, now they've changed their mind & the user is no longer liable at all.

At the drop of a tweet we've gone from "user pays" to "property owner" pays.....

Which of course means that residents of local authority housing now have carte blanche to ignore the charge & pass it onto the council.....

Effing terrific, the homeowner shafted again.

Also.... Policy reversals by twitter must be a new low.

Would fill you full of confidence that they are competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The hunger strike is over in Cork. What a clown makes us look so stupid. He didn't last 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

https://twitter.com/IrishWater/status/522319646280916992

They clarified it later.
    (Must have been a new one on the Twitter Desk !)

rob316 wrote: »
    The hunger strike is over in Cork. What a clown makes us look so stupid. He didn't last 2 days.

I'm glad to hear this. He struck me a being a bit vulnerable and in need of support. I hope he's going to be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ogham wrote: »
    They clarified it later.

Water under the jobbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,112 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm glad to hear this. He struck me a being a bit vulnerable and in need of support. I hope he's going to be ok.

It was only 2 days he'll be grand tomorrow. It was stupid to start with, a hunger strike is an very extreme form of protest, you really need to be prepared to die for the cause if its to carry any weight. The very notion that anyone would willingly die of starvation over water charges is absurd.
    I applaud him for taking a stand but this was nothing more than a publicity stunt in the end.

Strength in numbers, get a million people on the streets then we might see a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

So what are odds in getting 100k again on November 1st if the weather is like today? 0.00001%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭oceanman

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    So what are odds in getting 100k again on November 1st if the weather is like today? 0.00001%?
    I don't think the weather will make much difference, if people are angry enough they march, hail rain or snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

oceanman wrote: »
    I don't think the weather will make much difference, if people are angry enough they march, hail rain or snow....

lol, I was naive like that once ... Then I found out Santy isn't real.

Had the weather been poor 100k people would not have turned up for the last protest. You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Ogham wrote: »
    They clarified it later.

I don't believe their denials. I don't believe that when it comes down to it, the LL won't be responsible. I will be making registration for and payment of the charge will be a specific condition of leases in the future, with this to be enforced and ultimately eviction notices given. Im sure many LLs will do the same. I'm not taking the chance.

Tenants opposed to the charges, intending not to pay, might find themselves in a difficult position.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement