Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

emo72 wrote: »
    you know how it works....never ever ever admit you are wrong, even when you majorly **** up. tierney should resign. he is presiding over a shambles. wont make things better, we just shouldnt be rewarding failure.

Can't see that happening.

I would suspect that Johnny boy is a big supporter of FG, which is why he was given the job of running the quango in the first place. Frankly, after the Poolbeg shambles, he should never have been allowed near anything again.

If I had a performance record in my job that was half as bad as his, I'd have been drop kicked out the door for a lengthy period of dole time.

Political greasers like Tierney manage to stay aloof from the consequences of their failures however.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Signed up a couple of days ago.

Suspect that the compliance levels will surprise you - there's a largely silent majority who recognize that the tax base needs to be broadened, in fact it should have been decades ago.

The minority in this country who refuse to accept this realty have made so much noise whinging and whining, that they've convinced themselves they're in the majority.

In for a rude awakening I'm afraid (again).

The tax base needs to be broadened yet you can claim €100 back and they decreased the tax take for high earners.
    Seems your pretending you know what your talking about to fit in the with rest of the part-time economists calling for more taxes and charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

If that's the case, why have we not seen some serious reporting and engagement from the management at IW, there is NOTHING on their web site that gives any indication of their levels of activity. In many respects, for a major organisation, their web site is a disgrace, and totally lacking in real information about what they do, and how.

They're also not even close to meeting their targets for responding to people, they should be able to at least acknowledge receipt of a mail message in 5 days, even if they can't deal with the issue immediately, but that's not happening, I'm now 10 days out on an issue that has nothing to do with water or metering or billing.

If they have hit the ground running, fair play, but they've certainly not covered themselves in any sort of glory so far,

I fully understand only too clearly the neglect of the local authorities, we've suffered from it here big time and at significant personal expense, but as I mentioned, there were no votes in water or waste water treatment, so the political influence to spend money on "visible" projects was unstoppable, which is why it's so essential to get water completely out of the political sphere, and why it was so wrong to put ex semi state people in at the top, as their entire culture and ethos is so wrong for IW.

In some areas, 10 years is probably too short a time scale for sorting some of the more serious issues that are now becoming visible.

If IW have not received bonuses, then that is at the moment appropriate, but the media seem to be saying otherwise, although I suppose that anything in the media needs to be taken with a big dose of reality, they may well be jumping on to a band wagon without fully checking the validity of the story.

I can't copy the link here for some reason, but The Irish Times website has a piece on it this morning. The media have not exactly been impartial in much of the reporting on this issue, as is their wont.

To be fair, the IW spokeswoman has been out on the likes of Matt Cooper, Pat Kenny and Johnathan Healy on a regular basis, as well as a special Prime Time programme a number of months ago. She has consistently outlined the activity that they are undertaking.

The problem with the ex-semi-state people being "put" into IW, was that - like it or not - they are the only people with the knowledge of the water system in this country. You can't just parachute inexperienced people into a situation like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Anatom wrote: »
    The problem with the ex-semi-state people being "put" into IW, was that - like it or not - they are the only people with the knowledge of the water system in this country. You can't just parachute inexperienced people into a situation like that.

In part you are right, but everybody acknoledges that the water system is a disaster up to this point. That being the rationale behind the creation of IW.

Why would you bring in the very people you were in charge of 36 different shambles to manage a single super shambles!

Why not bring in people from outside of Ireland, people from couontries who have got it to work. Wales water seem to have been able to get their costs down to a fraction of what IW propose. Get them in to start up and run it and then hand it back after a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Anatom wrote: »
    I can't copy the link here for some reason, but The Irish Times website has a piece on it this morning. The media have not exactly been impartial in much of the reporting on this issue, as is their wont.

To be fair, the IW spokeswoman has been out on the likes of Matt Cooper, Pat Kenny and Johnathan Healy on a regular basis, as well as a special Prime Time programme a number of months ago. She has consistently outlined the activity that they are undertaking.

That is complete fabrication, You put out a job spec and requirement. I am sure there are hundreds over lower level managers involved in each county that could have interviewed well and had the required knowledge of their local systems. Instead as per usual in this country we got 'treated' to the Highest level 'retirees' many of whom (not all) many of whom have nearly criminal level history in failed projects and mispends of public monies.

But sure feed us the line that we 'need' them and they are the only ones that can do the job... Iv heard that somewhere before. Perhaps it was to do with the banks.

Impartial interview process..... it was not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

listermint wrote: »
    That is complete fabrication, You put out a job spec and requirement. I am sure there are hundreds over lower level managers involved in each county that could have interviewed well and had the required knowledge of their local systems. Instead as per usual in this country we got 'treated' to the Highest level 'retirees' many of whom (not all) many of whom have nearly criminal level history in failed projects and mispends of public monies.

But sure feed us the line that we 'need' them and they are the only ones that can do the job... Iv heard that somewhere before. Perhaps it was to do with the banks.

Impartial interview process..... it was not.

Add to that the fact that most of the major infrastructural components of the Irish water system were designed and constructed by private companies, with Co. Co. engineers, sporting their second class degrees, looking on like spare dicks at a wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

"Landlords to Irish Water: Don’t expect us to act as your collection agents

THE HEAD OF a landlords’ group says Irish Water shouldn’t be involving property owners in its collection process, if tenants are refusing to register or pay for water charges.
    "

http://www.thejournal.ie/irish-water-landlords-1729688-Oct2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Something along the lines of "If I stop and actually THINK about the whole process of purifying water, and delivering it to the tap, and then taking the waste water, and treating it to make it once again safe, the cost of under HALF A CENT per litre ( with NO ALLOWANCES TAKEN INTO CONSIDERATION) is not unreasonable, and is a LOT less than the cost of buying bottled water to flush the loo (FFS).

I'm coming around a little to the idea of charging for water. It's being done for revenue generation reasons, and if they don't charge for water, they'll create or increase some other tax anyway.

We're being told to think of water as a utility like electricity or gas. I wish they had structured the charges to be more like electricity. With electricity, I pay a flat charge for the provision and maintenance of infrastructure, and a separate fee for each unit of electricity that I consume, reflecting the cost of producing that unit.

Why not do the same with water? A flat fee for the infrastructure, with the cost per litre reflecting the cost of processing? By lumping the cost of infrastructure onto the per-litre price, it exaggerates the costs of a family using extra water. And vice-versa for an empty house with minimal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

The lies from Enda never seem to stop do they.
    They are delusional as a party if they think that they will be elected again or that we will pay for water charges a second time or triple if you buy bottled water and pay VAT also on it.

http://www.thejournal.ie/enda-kenny-misleading-dail-irish-water-bonuses-1728207-Oct2014/

animaal wrote: »
    I'm coming around a little to the idea of charging for water. It's being done for revenue generation reasons, and if they don't charge for water, they'll create or increase some other tax anyway.

We're being told to think of water as a utility like electricity or gas. I wish they had structured the charges to be more like electricity. With electricity, I pay a flat charge for the provision and maintenance of infrastructure, and a separate fee for each unit of electricity that I consume, reflecting the cost of producing that unit.

Why not do the same with water? A flat fee for the infrastructure, with the cost per litre reflecting the cost of processing? By lumping the cost of infrastructure onto the per-litre price, it exaggerates the costs of a family using extra water. And vice-versa for an empty house with minimal use.
    The water here in Meath stinks and is undrinkable, it tastes of chemicals.
    When the electric shower is turned on the Chlorine gas would almost choke you it is so bad so why should people pay for that water?

Who here is marching on November 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

FREETV wrote: »
    When the electric shower is turned on the Chlorine gas would almost choke you it is so bad so why should people pay for that water?

I'll be marching, just as I was on October 11th.

The water tastes the same in my flat (Dublin 1). I have to buy the cheap centra 2L water, which works out at just over 300 euro a year. So IW can get f*cked if they think I'm paying more. If they provide me with drinkable tap water, then I might consider signing up to their 'service', minus my PPS number. Someone here previously recommended I boil it and stick it in the fridge but it still tastes awful. Anyone who comes around to my flat and drinks it says the same, so it's not me being fussy.

Also, my mam, dad and sister all live in separate houses on meters. I'm supposedly on the assessed rate. My mam asked IW what is to stop all the family calling over to mine to do the washing, cleaning, showering etc. IW didn't have an answer and said they'd get back to her. That was a month ago.

They clearly haven't got a clue, they're bunch of cowboys and I'll have nothing to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mojesius wrote: »
    I'll be marching, just as I was on October 11th.

The water tastes the same in my flat (Dublin 1). I have to buy the cheap centra 2L water, which works out at just over 300 euro a year. So IW can get f*cked if they think I'm paying more. If they provide me with drinkable tap water, then I might consider signing up to their 'service', minus my PPS number. Someone here previously recommended I boil it and stick it in the fridge but it still tastes awful. Anyone who comes around to my flat and drinks it says the same, so it's not me being fussy.

Also, my mam, dad and sister all live in separate houses on meters. I'm supposedly on the assessed rate. My mam asked IW what is to stop all the family calling over to mine to do the washing, cleaning, showering etc. IW didn't have an answer and said they'd get back to her. That was a month ago.

They clearly haven't got a clue, they're bunch of cowboys and I'll have nothing to do with them.

You are the cowboy. Like in the wild west, no regard for the law. Plenty here have openly admitted that they would not pay their property tax until the Revenue took it off them. Just wasting everyone's time. No regard for law and order. Cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You are the cowboy. Like in the wild west, no regard for the law. Plenty here have openly admitted that they would not pay their property tax until the Revenue took it off them. Just wasting everyone's time. No regard for law and order. Cowboys.

Yee Haa, giddee up.

Love Westerns. Cowboys always won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

listermint wrote: »
    Yee Haa, giddee up.

Love Westerns. Cowboys always won.

Sadly, Ireland is a bit more like Blazing Saddles than Shane.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

That could just be the smell of Meath.

If water is deemed not fit for consumption, you don't pay for it.
    People would just be paying the waste water portion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

This argument is hilarious. What's to stop your family calling over to yours, turning on the immersion, turning on the heating all day, washing their clothes in your washing machine, ironing their clothes with YOUR electricity, watching your TV all day long, boiling the feckin kettle all day long? How DARE they???

But what about the water you use for the toilet, watering the plants, washing the car?
    What about the water for dishwasher, washing machine and all the waste water that that entails?

Drinking water is only a portion of the water you use. Do you not think that you should have to pay for any of the rest?

If the water is deemed of unuseable quality you get all inbound for free, you only pay for waste

What do you expect them to do? Ban you family from coming over to your house?

Seriously, your Mam actually raised that query with IW? What if they tell her no, she can't do that?

If they have to deal with silly questions like that no wonder they are no getting back to people in time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

we drink less than 1% of the water we use domestically (would be my guess), why not give a 1% ish discount and let people buy water from tesco and aldi for the time being, if the water isnt up to scratch or they dont think that it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The water in Meath is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Thank Christ they're not wasting our tax euros answering dumb-ass questions like that.

The water in Meath is fine.
    No it isn't, my Parents say otherwise too and haven't drunk the tap water for 20 years and it is full of lime, smells and tastes vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Bad r smelling water - should not boil it and drink boiled too much
    Side effects of a clean boiled water - putting extra weight on you/ Somewhere read - it proved on cattle and other animals - to increase their weight fast, feed them with a boiled water at usual normal temperature, of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tigger123

No it isn't, my Parents say otherwise too and haven't drunk the tap water for 20 years and it is full of lime, smells and tastes vile.

If only there was a way the State could address this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

On a public supply?

What town/village?

Right, so what the problem.

They obviously already pay for their drinking water so they won't be using that. All they have to pay for now is the waste water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Well I have lived and worked in many parts of Meath and the only issue is hard water. That's not to say there may not isolated areas with water issues but nowhere near enough to justify your unqualified statement that the water in Meath isn't suitable for drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Probably a stupid question but if IW hasn't all the details ironed out what the hell did those consultants do to 'earn' 50 million euro?

The shambles that is I W makes the Three Stooges look like Stephen Hawking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Probably a stupid question but if IW hasn't all the details ironed out what the hell did those consultants do to 'earn' 50 million euro?

The shambles that is I W makes the Three Stooges look like Stephen Hawking.

Probably the cost of coming up with the idea to grab everyone's PPS number.

That'll be 50 mil please.

• Advertisement

It is the same for my other family members, in laws, relatives in their houses in other parts of Meath. Bad chemical, artificial tasting water, foul smell when the kitchen tap is turned on, very hard water. The smell of Chlorine gas would almost make one sick when a hot shower is turned on.

They have had to pay for water in Meath for many years now not out of choice but it is unacceptable the quality of water.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement