Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Probably a stupid question but if IW hasn't all the details ironed out what the hell did those consultants do to 'earn' 50 million euro?

The shambles that is I W makes the Three Stooges look like Stephen Hawking.

Could be wrong, but I think the bulk of that €50m was building the IT/billing system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

THE HEAD OF a landlords’ group says Irish Water shouldn’t be involving property owners in its collection process, if tenants are refusing to register or pay for water charges.
    Irish Water have said to us very clearly that the landlord has no role in paying the charges,” Fintan McNamara, who heads up the Residential Landlords Association, told Morning Ireland today.

Asked whether members of his group would act as collection agents for the controversial semi-state, he said:

Absolutely not.

“We can’t force tenants to choose to register

www.thejournal.ie/irish-water-landlords-1729688-Oct2014/?utm_source=shortlink

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭al22

Law has been changed recently, IW can ask PPS numbers.

One suggestion - they intend to set up more control of people, their residence etc as promised sometime ago, and using IW as a part of this scheme to control everybody in the future. (My opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

On a public supply?

What town/village?

Probably every town and village that uses the antiquated system.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Could be wrong, but I think the bulk of that €50m was building the IT/billing system?

'Building' we have been reliably informed that the contracts of the existing provider to Bord Gais were merely 'extended' so they extended existing IT systems and contracts all ready in house.

This allowed Irish Water to circumvent the EU tendor process. So 'building' would be very much a cod. It looks like we handed over 50 Million to IBM , Click UK amongst others.

More of the same please but bigger. 50 Million seems like an incredible figure for more of the same though. Doubt we will ever see a breakdown or perhaps we can get one with FOI requests

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Update: new video from anonymous about water charges. You can hear the persons actual accent in this one and there seems to be a change in policy. Sounds a bit like Enda.

http://youtu.be/25nEP5K47RE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

awec wrote: »
    :pac: :pac:

Do you know what effect Chlorine gas has on the human body?
    I do and I have done lots of research in to it and the Scientific findings are staggering to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

mojesius wrote: »
    I'll be marching, just as I was on October 11th.

Also, my mam, dad and sister all live in separate houses on meters. I'm supposedly on the assessed rate. My mam asked IW what is to stop all the family calling over to mine to do the washing, cleaning, showering etc. IW didn't have an answer and said they'd get back to her. That was a month ago.

They clearly haven't got a clue, they're bunch of cowboys and I'll have nothing to do with them.

Tell your Ma to ask family members to bring their meter with them when they visit. All they need to do is screw it in before they go to the jacks and bring it home with them when they leave. Obvious really! Can't believe those Cowboys in IW couldn't figure even that out!

On a public supply?

What town/village?
    The water is dreadful in Kilmessan, Bective and Trim on the public supplies.

FREETV wrote: »
    The water is dreadful in Kilmessan, Bective and Trim on the public supplies.

Can you get back onto us regarding what public supply you are connected to?

(The one that's undrinkable for a decade).

Are the people of Trim aware their water is undrinkable ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

It is the same for my other family members, in laws, relatives in their houses in other parts of Meath. Bad chemical, artificial tasting water, foul smell when the kitchen tap is turned on, very hard water. The smell of Chlorine gas would almost make one sick when a hot shower is turned on.

They have had to pay for water in Meath for many years now not out of choice but it is unacceptable the quality of water.

Now you are just blatantly lying.

(The one that's undrinkable for a decade).

Are the people of Trim aware their water is undrinkable ?
    Bottled water literally flies off the shelves in all of the supermarkets so I would think so yes.
    It is a good bit more than a decade since they changed the waterworks scheme, the water was fine for drinking before that happened.

No, I am not and I wish that I was.
    Tastes dreadful even when boiled for making tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

I do and I have done lots of research in to it and the Scientific findings are staggering to say the least.

Water may or may not appear ok to drink,judging by taste, colour.

In a broad sense,the water should be chemically,phyically and microbiologically clean.

For example,no chlorine,no physical dirt,and no pathogenic microbes.

There are values set,and an accepted "limit" to the minimum amount of contamination acceptable for human consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Grand where I am in Meath but I've heard that the water can be hard in places, have never heard of it being unusable though. Hopefully everything gets fixed up once everyone pays their water bill :D

Here's a good article , a couple of weeks ago about water charges.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/water-charges-irish-water-1701045-Oct2014/

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Grand where I am in Meath but I've heard that the water can be hard in places, have never heard of it being unusable though. Hopefully everything gets fixed up once everyone pays their water bill :D

Well, seeing as the water is undrinkable in Trim etc, they won't have to pay anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

skimpydoo wrote: »
    They are getting worried that people are not going to pay and the indo is saying that they are extending the deadline for giving them your details.

Prob working through an avalanche of completed forms, I always expected a backlog tbh.

In fairness, he prob doesn't want to disclose his home town or village.

Respect his privacy.

Here is information half way down the page that I found about the poor water quality of water in parts of Meath on a local politician's website.

http://ronanmckenna.ie/?author=1&paged=5

In fairness, he prob doesn't want to disclose his home town or village.

Or..... or..... He's just making it up.

He told us a list of villages with undrinkable water.... Turns out, no, the water there is indeed safe to consume. (Or at least the Meath CoCo had no mention of contamination/boil notices on their site)

If I told you I'm posting this from Wicklow Town, would you know who I am?

Well obviously you know my name..... But you don't know me...... Is my privacy now in jepordy?

• Advertisement

Now do you all believe me?
    It has been like that for twenty years at least so why should anybody have to pay Irish Water a Cent?
    It is dreadful here where I live and I am miles away from Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Bit harsh?

I can't post links but there is a Labour party page from about a year ago discussing reported problems of the nature freetv is referring to .Try googling Meath water problems and you will find it about 10th place on the page.

" “Residents report that their water is often cloudy with large amounts of sediment and an unpleasant odour or taste, along with lots of lime scale,” said Deputy Hannigan."

Here is information half way down the page that I found about the poor water quality of water in parts of Meath on a local politician's website.

So what you did was google some term like "undrinkable water" and used the first link you found to make a claim about the water in Meath in general. The water in Trim is also drinkable.

Now do you all believe me?
    It has been like that for twenty years at least so why should anybody have to pay Irish Water a Cent?
    It is dreadful here where I live and I am miles away from Trim.

You've been told several times already that if your water is not fit to consume, you don't have to pay.

You just register for the waste water part.

Or..... or..... He's just making it up.

He told us a list of villages with undrinkable water.... Turns out, no, the water there is indeed safe to consume. (Or at least the Meath CoCo had no mention of contamination/boil notices on their site)

If I told you I'm posting this from Wicklow Town, would you know who I am?

Well obviously you know my name..... But you don't know me.

No, the water isn't safe.

You've been told several times already that if your water is not fit to consume, you don't have to pay.

You just register for the waste water part.
    They have been paying for years so do you really think that the County Councils nationwide will listen to the public or the Government and Irish Water will improve the water quality?

I think not.

So what you did was google some term like "undrinkable water" and used the first link you found to make a claim about the water in Meath in general. The water in Trim is also drinkable.
    It has been common knowledge for many years and lots of complaints have been made to Meath County Council but they haven't a clue and do nothing about it as it keeps on recurring the foul smell, bad taste, high levels of Chlorine and discolouration.

Meath County Council has an online resource where you can check the results of water tests.

http://www.meath.microworks.ie/

And I can assure you that the water in Trim is very drinkable and that's coming from both personal experience and scientific analysis.

Meath County Council has an online resource where you can check the results of water tests.

http://www.meath.microworks.ie/

And I can assure you that the water in Trim is very drinkable and that's coming from both personal experience and scientific analysis.
    Nonsense, so you are saying that Ronan is lying and that I am also making things up?

Everybody that I know buys bottled water for drinking, making tea, coffee and even cooking because of the foul taste and smell.

• Advertisement

Nonsense, so you are saying that Ronan is lying and that I am also making things up?

Everybody that I know buys bottled water for drinking, making tea, coffee and even cooking because of the foul taste and smell.

If this really is a problem it will be eliminated when IW upgrades the system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement