Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

FREETV wrote: »
    Nonsense, so you are saying that Ronan is lying and that I am also making things up?

Everybody that I know buys bottled water for drinking, making tea, coffee and even cooking because of the foul taste and smell.

I'm saying the people speaking to him were probably just put off by the water, be it smell or colour, even though it was perfectly safe to drink.

And I have no doubt you believe what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Discolored brown water safe to drink, methinks not and I will believe it when I see it, smell it and taste the water after Irish Water upgrades the system and there is an improvement because I believe that it will never happen.

It is just a quango, jobs for the boys and part of the cronyism of Enda and Company.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So now it seems IW are saying they won't use PPS numbers to chase unpaid bills:
    Irish Water has said it will not use someone's PPS number to chase a customer for any unpaid bills.
    The utility added it is only allowed to use a PPS number to make sure people are only claiming the proper allowances.

Now maybe it's just me, but they do seem increasingly desperate to try and convince us that signing up for this nonsense is nothing to worry about.

Have em on the run I reckon :P

FREETV wrote: »
    Discolored brown water safe to drink, methinks not and I will believe it when I see it, smell it and taste the water after Irish Water upgrades the system and there is an improvement because I believe that it will never happen.

It is just a quango, jobs for the boys and part of the cronyism of Enda and Company.

Right. So you hated the old system and the new one. What is your alternative to IW or the local councils?
    _Kaiser_ wrote: »

Now maybe it's just me, but they do seem increasingly desperate to try and convince us that signing up for this nonsense is nothing to worry about.

Why do people have this strange fear that your pps is like your soul or something. It's just a unique identifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

You've been told several times already that if your water is not fit to consume, you don't have to pay.

You just register for the waste water part.
    To be fair to the objectors, on this one occasion I agree with them.
    The Co Co version of drinkable is different from what other people think is drinkable.
    If they have a problem with their water infrastructure, and many of them do after years of paying themselves huge salaries and neglecting investment,
    their solution is to lace it with chlorine and kill all the bugs.
    They then present it to you and say "Well... it won't kill you".
    And they are right. It won't kill you and their arses are covered.
    But it may look awful it may taste awful and it may even smell like a buzzards crotch. If you are lucky it will just reek of chlorine.

A business acquaintance of mine took me to lunch in a nice restaurant in Mulllingar recently. The waitress brought us a jug of tap water and I took a sip of it. He must have seen the look on my face because he called over the waitress and asked her to take it away and bring it back full of Ballygowan or some such. I presume it went on the bill and he had to pay extra for it.
    If Irish water can get to the bottom of this problem it will be work well done. Unfortunately I cannot see it happening while it's lead by the present CEO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What do you expect them to do? Ban you family from coming over to your house?

Seriously, your Mam actually raised that query with IW? What if they tell her no, she can't do that?

If they have to deal with silly questions like that no wonder they are no getting back to people in time

I should have clarified - She volunteers and IW approached her organisation to urge people to sign up. So she wasn't wasting their time, more like the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Right. So you hated the old system and the new one. What is your alternative to IW or the local councils?

Why do people have this strange fear that your pps is like your soul or something. It's just a unique identifier.

You must be naive or else being purposely obtuse if you don't know the importance of a pps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Probably because it is a bit like your name,and can be used for fraudulent reasons.

Its supposedly a safeguard.

As is your bank account #

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

To be fair to the objectors, on this one occasion I agree with them.
    The Co Co version of drinkable is different from what other people think is drinkable.
    If they have a problem with their water infrastructure, and many of them do after years of paying themselves huge salaries and neglecting investment,
    their solution is to lace it with chlorine and kill all the bugs.
    They then present it to you and say "Well... it won't kill you".
    And they are right. It won't kill you and their arses are covered.
    But it may look awful it may taste awful and it may even smell like a buzzards crotch. If you are lucky it will just reek of chlorine.

A business acquaintance of mine took me to lunch in a nice restaurant in Mulllingar recently. The waitress brought us a jug of tap water and I took a sip of it. He must have seen the look on my face because he called over the waitress and asked her to take it away and bring it back full of Ballygowan or some such. I presume it went on the bill and he had to pay extra for it.
    If Irish water can get to the bottom of this problem it will be work well done. Unfortunately I cannot see it happening while it's lead by the present CEO.
    I agree with everything you have said but the levels of Chlorine that they are putting in are not safe and I have done lots of research on the subject and top Scientists say that indeed it is very harmful.

Plaque in arteries caused by Chlorine in drinking water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Is this not what IW and others here have been saying all along about PPS numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

In this instance I prefer politicians who do not try to court popularity.

In the end , politicians are always courting popularity. In this instance the people they are courting popularity with are the bureaucrats in the EU, IMF and of course people like you who do not represent the people who got off their arses and marched, who do not represent the will of the people, the people who are almost universally opposed to water charges.
    You might feel comfortable in this little eco system internet bubble if someone agrees with you but this little internet eco system is not representative of the wider Irish internet either.

IIt will probably lead to many of them losing their seats. .

And rightfully so. Worse things should happen to politicians who lie to the people in order to become elected. Their positions are a privilege granted by the people, not some right or entitlement. The way some of them behave you would be led to believe otherwise.
    Except that tenants opposed to the charge will find themselves in a difficult position when their LL makes registering for the charge a condition of the lease. I want no come back on to me, so have already included that clause in leases that my tenants have signed. And will be checking to ensure they've registered. That is going to force a certain level of compliance by tenants I think

You are not responsible for the utility bills of anyone who rents from you. To think otherwise is nonsense

https://www.newstalk.com/Irish-Water-says-tenant-responsible-for-water-charges-not-landlord

Anyway I'm switching off notifications for this thread now. It's all been said already.

Smidge wrote: »
    You must be naive or else being purposely obtuse if you don't know the importance of a pps.

I just don't believe that someone having your pps will leave you any more open than them having your name. If you can show me otherwise then I'm all ears.

I just don't believe that someone having your pps will leave you any more open than them having your name. If you can show me otherwise then I'm all ears.

Another one of these "prove it to me" generalisations.

Use common sense,and figure it out for yourself.

Fair play to you so.
    You hand over your pps to anyone who asks for it.
    I'll keep mine to myself though.

gladrags wrote: »
    Another one of these "prove it to me" generalisations.

Use common sense,and figure it out for yourself.
    Smidge wrote: »
    Fair play to you so.
    You hand over your pps to anyone who asks for it.
    I'll keep mine to myself though.

You don;t have to prove it. Just throw out an example of how it can be used in a way your name and address couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In our little poll the number going to pay has just edged over 50%, 255 people 50.09%. The NO's are 236, 46.37%. Kersplatt may be disappointed with his showing, perhaps some re-evaluation in front of the mirror is warranted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

You don;t have to prove it. Just throw out an example of how it can be used in a way your name and address couldn't.

They might hack into your pharmacists computer and steal your prescription
    tablets or find out you had hemorrhoids?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

two words

Private

Investigator.

http://lifehacker.com/5900782/how-thieves-steal-your-identity-and-how-you-can-protect-yourself

You want an example?
    Ok, I'll bite.

Your whole life can be accessed by the wrong person with your pps.
    Financial/medical/personal.
    You name it, it's all there behind that seemingly insignificant 8 digit identification.
    I myself personally know people who have accessed friends/neighbours/lovers or potential partners private files for their own nosiness through their pps (along with their name and address).
    And this is supposed to be in confidential environments.
    Not a fecking utility company.
    No thanks

They might hack into your pharmacists computer and steal your prescription
    tablets or find out you had hemorrhoids?
    :rolleyes:

Actually, you don't know how close you are with that remark.
    But hemorrhoids may be the least of your worries. Replace the jokey hemorrhoid part with something much more serious, say cancer or an std.
    Would you be amused still?

• Advertisement

OK

What is your PPS number?

In the end , politicians are always courting popularity. In this instance the people they are courting popularity with are the bureaucrats in the EU, IMF and of course people like you who do not represent the people who got off their arses and marched, who do not represent the will of the people, the people who are almost universally opposed to water charges.
    You might feel comfortable in this little eco system internet bubble if someone agrees with you but this little internet eco system is not representative of the wider Irish internet either.

Anyway I'm switching off notifications for this thread now. It's all been said already.

In the words of the poet, you took your time getting here. It must be the guts of a week since I posted what you replied to there. I'm working on the assumption that you will be back.

OK

What is your PPS number?

OK

What is your PPS number?

You are not an authorised entity to request a PPSN. IW is, an inconvenient truth for some here. And you are not the first Oscar Wilde to say give me your PPSN.

OK

What is your PPS number?

That's the best you can do?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I thought it was pretty good :D

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

I thought it was pretty good :D

Maybe if I wasn't posting under a made up name.

Well?

Maybe if I wasn't posting under a made up name.

No excuses...what is your PPS #

What is it you "cannot understand"

Your own generalisatons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Perhaps I am wrong - but looks like IW bought meters from two suppliers, per their site; one of whom appears to be the missile manufacturer, Diehl.

Perhaps that is ok. Just would prefer, of we did not support an arms manufacturer ( maybe my unease with this has no foundation)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement