Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Clarify property?
    You mean where the drive meets the footpath?
    If so there is no first fix free policy?

What if the leak is under my kitchen?

Metered charges have been capped for nine months. There is no need to panic. But really the best advice is to get in a plumber.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0930/648862-water-charges/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Who is this "we all?" plenty of people are not taxpayers.

Everyone pays taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Then it's YOUR problem, I'd imagine, unless your kitchen sink in within a metre of the property boundry.

So MaryAnne there is no first fix free policy?

Metered charges have been capped for nine months. There is no need to panic. But really the best advice is to get in a plumber.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0930/648862-water-charges/

I understand that but I have another boards.ie member telling me there is no first fix free policy and that I am in trouble, BIG TIME

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Regardless of what side anyone is on I would say get in a plumber. That would have been the case up until now anyway if the leak had been known about. Someone here posted that plumbers are a lot cheaper than the reported IW charges.

Or just leave things as they are. All charges are capped for nine months anyway so the cost of the wasted water won't be an issue until 2015. Hundreds of thousands of litres have been wasted at that premises over the years probably. The meter installation has identified the leak which is a good thing, even if the repair is delayed.

This is another reason why metering is good. People go on about the "40%" wastage through leakage, but plenty of leakage is on people property which has proven that peoples attitude is "meh,I'm not paying for it so I dont care"

• Advertisement

If for example I do nothing until 1/1/2015 then litres lost is 604,800!!

(based on 120 days from Sept 3 2014 until Jan 1 2015 and losing 720 litres per day)

:confused: 120 x 720 is 86,000 odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mynameismud

What will I do if I have a water leak on my property

If the leak is within the boundary of your property it is your responsibility as the owner of the property to get it fixed. We would advise you to contact an accredited plumber who may assist you in determining the location of the leak and make a repair to the pipe.
    If the leak is outside your property please contact Irish Water.
    "Irish Water will deliver a free first fix scheme, entitling every household to a free fix of the first leak on a customer’s water supply pipe, between the property boundary to within one metre of a property. " Your best bet would be to get a plumber in asap.

So who's wrong here?

:confused: 120 x 720 is 86,000 odd.

My apologies, I used wrong column on excel sheet...:o

I understand that but I have another boards.ie member telling me there is no first fix free policy and that I am in trouble, BIG TIME

Here's a question. If you had found out about the leak a year ago or five years ago would it have bothered you? Would you have called in a plumber or just said it's free water so I don't care?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not until 2015 apparently

• Advertisement

It was always said that it would be only one metre inside the boundry, to start in 2015. As useage will be capped until July 1st, it should not cost you extra, but if I was you and that amount of water was leaking somewhere under my house, I'd be getting it fixed sooner rather than later.

Here's a question. If you had found out about the leak a year ago or five years ago would it have bothered you? Would you have called in a plumber or just said it's free water so I don't care?

Yes fair point,

Please don't think I am a free loader as you are implying so "Free water so I don't care"

I never realised there was was a leak, I never suspected anything wrong, as I the tank wasn't filling in the attic etc.

I have fixed leaks in my house before when I have realised they were there.

My point is that we are lead to believe there is a first fix free policy --- there isn't
    also I asked for suggestions from people

and

If others are in this situation.

So please don't think I am some sort of sponger, excuse the pun

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Who is this "we all?" plenty of people are not taxpayers.

this....really bothers to hear so many people saying "we already are paying for water" when most of them pay f*ck all.

the government will spend over £70billion next year, about 45% of that will go on health and social welfare, despite the fact we will have a workforce of almost 2million and alot of them have private health insurance. our public sector is one of the best paid in the world.

THATS what we are paying for (and most people dont see one single cent in return for that money) yet people only seemed to be bugged by the small % of our budget, that goes on water - an excellent service that is vital to us all.

in saying that, i fully accept that Irish Water is a sham of a company and should be ripped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I have a question...

What exactly is it driving the pro-side that are posting here?

Is it:

- Vested interests (government/IW staffers or employees)

- Begrudgery (the flawed notion that "freeloaders" pay nothing and contribute nothing to the country - when in fact pretty much all their money goes directly back into the local economy and VAT returns and the "genuine" freeloaders are far outnumbered by ordinary decent people who are struggling to get by while looking for a job/on low-paid wages)

- Naivety (when even FG/LAB cabinet members themselves are privately admitting it's a disaster and causing serious trouble both among the public, and in the government)

... and all this for (maybe) €150 million??

Doesn't make sense to me at this stage, no matter what "side" you're on.

Yes fair point,

Please don't think I am a free loader as you are implying so "Free water so I don't care"

I never realised there was was a leak, I never suspected anything wrong, as I the tank wasn't filling in the attic etc.

I have fixed leaks in my house before when I have realised they were there.

My point is that we are lead to believe there is a first fix free policy --- there isn't
    also I asked for suggestions from people

and

If others are in this situation.

So please don't think I am some sort of sponger, excuse the pun

This is not very clear. But it is from 30 Sept so thing must still be being finalised. I read it to mean different rules could apply if the leak is between the boundary and the house or inside the house.

2.8 Domestic Customer side leakage policy
    Irish Water is preparing a domestic customer side leakage policy, including proposals for a first fix policy
    which will be available shortly. All customers identified as having very high usage, and therefore
    suspected to have a leak on their premises, will be capped at the unmetered charge until the customer
    side leakage policy is in place. The Customer’s bill will be capped at the unmetered charge for the period
    until:
    - the cause is identified as normal usage;
    - a leak is identified and fixed as part of Irish Water’s Domestic Customer side leakage policy;
    or
    - a leak is identified as being inside the Customer’s premises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

This is not very clear. But it is from 30 Sept so thing must still be being finalised.

2.8 Domestic Customer side leakage policy
    Irish Water is preparing a domestic customer side leakage policy, including proposals for a first fix policy
    which will be available shortly. All customers identified as having very high usage, and therefore
    suspected to have a leak on their premises, will be capped at the unmetered charge until the customer
    side leakage policy is in place. The Customer’s bill will be capped at the unmetered charge for the period
    until:
    - the cause is identified as normal usage;
    - a leak is identified and fixed as part of Irish Water’s Domestic Customer side leakage policy;
    or
    - a leak is identified as being inside the Customer’s premises.

Well shouldn't this have been finalised before Irish Water had the audacity to start metering people?

What a joke.

This is not very clear. But it is from 30 Sept so thing must still be being finalised.

And here's yet another problem with this farce - billing is now "live" and yet IW is still making it up as they go.

Do you not see something wrong with that? It's like signing a blank cheque and letting them fill it in later.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Doesn't make sense to me at this stage, no matter what "side" you're on.
    Everyone paying for their own water usage makes perfect sense to me. Just like paying for your own gas, oil, electricity , food etc makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭waking dreams

This is another reason why metering is good. People go on about the "40%" wastage through leakage, but plenty of leakage is on people property which has proven that peoples attitude is "meh,I'm not paying for it so I dont care"

I agree that there should a certain amount of our tax money used to ensure that we have the safest and cleanest drinking water in the world. That would include leak fixtures etc. Look to Germany for the perfect example of such. However it's obvious that our current taxing system cannot facilitate this. And the reason it can't facilitate is because of the same people trying to implement the current model for taxing water, what they have done in the past and what they will continue to do. So the question is are we willing to allow the madness to continue? I'll say it again, If we as people can stop Irish Water, we are capable of anything.

Wurly wrote: »
    Well shouldn't this have been finalised before Irish Water had the audacity to start metering people?

What a joke.

What difference does it make if the meter is there or not now, your not being charged on its readings.

• Advertisement

Everyone paying for their own water usage makes perfect sense to me. Just like paying for your own gas, oil, electricity , food etc makes perfect sense.

Yet again the "default" response eh?

Everyone ALREADY pays for their water usage - unless you think the TDs just did a whip-around or something?

Germany for the perfect example of such. .

Incidentally, water is metered in Germany and they don't generally drink tap water, most (in the areas I have family in) drink bottled water. It's not generally thought to taste nice enough or be nice enough to drink.

And here's yet another problem with this farce - billing is now "live" and yet IW is still making it up as they go.

Do you not see something wrong with that? It's like signing a blank cheque and letting them fill it in later.

If you and me were living in any normal country our government of 1977 would not have dismantled local property taxation and water charges. It will take time for it to be re-established. Take the long view, it will be here for all future generations. I see a lot of short termism and selfish interests from those who oppose every utility charge or revenue raising measure while wanting every service to be gold plated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Do you pay for your gas, oil, electricity, and food twice?

What difference does it make if the meter is there or not now, your not being charged on its readings.

So what are people being charged for then and what is the purpose of the meter in the first place?

unless you think the TDs just did a whip-around or something?

Wouldn't be the first time.;)

If you and me were living in any normal country our government of 1977 would not have dismantled local property taxation and water charges. It will take time for it to be re-established. Take the long view, it will be here for all future generations. I see a lot of short termism and selfish interests from those who oppose every utility charge or revenue raising measure while wanting every service to be gold plated.

You're assuming that the "dismantling" of LPT and Water Charges in 1977 meant these things went away - they didn't... they were loaded onto Income tax rates and motor tax.

Again, unless ANYONE here can show how water was "free" for the last few decades, then your entire argument is flawed from the start.

I'll get ye started.. where does the government get it's taxes? The people (both employed AND unemployed)

Yet again the "default" response eh?

Everyone ALREADY pays for their water usage - unless you think the TDs just did a whip-around or something?

Tax has paid for water up till now. You've already drank or bathed in that water, its gone. Now, with the country costing more to run, the current taxes are not covering everything, So, the people that pay income tax can pay more of it to cover everyone or people can all start paying their own share of things that can be paid for in this way.

Tax used to pay for 10 or 20 thousands people to be on the dole , now it pays for nearly 400,000 . Should those extra 380,000 people be told theres no money to pay them?

How is borrowing the projected €5b next year a good thing rather than trying to broaden the tax base and pay for things from money we actually have?

Wouldn't be the first time.;)

Bertie, is that you? :P :D

• Advertisement

So what are people being charged for then and what is the purpose of the meter in the first place?
    At the moment its a flat rate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement