Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Whereas "but the media told us too" is grand?

Did I mention that once? Your under some illusion that we all benefitted from the house of cards that was the Irish economy between 2001-2007. A decent proportion did of course, but equally a lot of people simply didnt, myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Wurly wrote: »
    Okay so are we in agreement that the system is flawed then?

I'd rather be here under our flawed system than living like 80 or 90% of the world's population have to. And I'd rather be living now than in any past era from an economic point of view. One of the most affluent countries in the world at the most affluent time in history. Any country where the population can spend over €6 billion on alcohol every year can't be regarded as being in poverty. Yet I see claims that having to fork out maybe one twelveth of that for water will leave everyone in penury.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

So there is no first fix free policy

I'd rather be here under our flawed system than living like 80 or 90% of the world's population have to.
    How about speaking up so that we don't have to have either of these outcomes?
    And I'd rather be living now than in any past era from an economic point of view. One of the most affluent countries in the world at the most affluent time in history.
    Agreed. I feel extremely grateful to live where I do and to have the opportunities I have.

Any country where the population can spend over €6 billion on alcohol every year can't be regarded as being in poverty. Yet I see claims that having to fork out maybe one twelveth of that for water will leave everyone in penury.
    I get what you're saying. These are seperate issues though.

People drink for a multitude of reasons. In fact, I know of people that would go without lighting or heat, just to have a drink and numb their pain. So it's not an accurate representation of wealth. Now we could go into people who drink socially and all that. But what's the point? It doesn't represent riches or poverty accurately at all.

Your argument is like saying: We can either chop off all your limbs or just cut off your arm. And you saying, well I might have one arm missing but at least I get to keep me legs!

Do you agree that we are being charged for water already via taxation?

• Advertisement

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    So there is no first fix free policy

That poster did not see the same newspaper reports on the thread this morning obviously. But you have no excuse for not informing yourself better. It doesn't matter what the policy is, or whether it is still in formation. Nobody is going to pay for leakages while the capped charges are in place.

How about speaking up so that we don't have to have either of these outcomes?

Agreed. I feel extremely grateful to live where I do and to have the opportunities I have.

I get what you're saying. These are seperate issues though.

People drink for a multitude of reasons. In fact, I know of people that would go without lighting or heat, just to have a drink and numb their pain. So it's not an accurate representation of wealth. Now we could go into people who drink socially and all that. But what's the point? It doesn't represent riches or poverty accurately at all.

Your argument is like saying: We can either chop off all your limbs or just cut off your arm. And you saying, well I might have one arm missing but at least I get to keep me legs!

Do you agree that we are being charged for water already via taxation?

Tell me what percentage of your taxation goes into the water infrastructure?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭waking dreams

I'd rather be here under our flawed system than living like 80 or 90% of the world's population have to. And I'd rather be living now than in any past era from an economic point of view. One of the most affluent countries in the world at the most affluent time in history. Any country where the population can spend over €6 billion on alcohol every year can't be regarded as being in poverty. Yet I see claims that having to fork out maybe one twelveth of that for water will leave everyone in penury.

If we are talking about social issues here then fine. Why do people spend that money on alcohol? Why do they spend it on drugs? Why so much crime? 2 words, social status. In order for a Governing body, or a leader to successfully keep status it must ensure that its place is never threatened. With power comes greed. The lower class are here to make the middle class feel "not so bad". The upper class are here for the middle class to aspire to. The upper class are here to aspire to be more, Government maybe? The lower class will always get the s*ttest hand. So when the lower class looks up the food chain it cannot help but see no hope. Whats the best way to deal with that? Something affordable and that will take my mind out of this reality created for me. Alcohol and drugs. How can anyone in that state see beyond that? Excluding exceptions like in every case. Again it all boils down to them taking our money and using it for something other than us.

Edited, I would love to see a graph showing the percentages of people living in these social status? Anyone got any?

Tell me what percentage of your taxation goes into the water infrastructure?

You know what? I have not one f*cking iota clue!!:pac: And this is the problem? This is oUR money and yet we have no idea what percentage goes into what, if at all?

So like, how am I supposed to be okay with Irish Water?

Just look at the problems already and the hidden charges. Surprise surprise! This always happens when the government sets something like this up. It's just farcical.

You are so well clued in to history and to your facts. I trust that you see this too?

All I can say after reading some of what I just did is that some people here must have had their brain numbed by alcohol. Or maybe by Sky TV (other pay TV services are available). One million households or more find it necessary to pay someone for the TV services. And they want their free water as well. Best wee country in Ireland.

• Advertisement

All I can say after reading some of what I just did is that some people here must have had their brain numbed by alcohol. Or maybe by Sky TV (other pay TV services are available). One million households or more find it necessary to pay someone for the TV services. And they want their free water as well. Best wee country in Ireland.

But the water is not free. It never was.

But the water is not free. It never was.

I got mine free. Your must have been with Sky Water.

Do you not pay tax?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Free water? have you never paid tax? Get a job you bum!!!

Do you not pay tax?

I didn't pay any water tax since 1976.

I didn't pay any water tax since 1976.

Good to know. Do you pay income tax?

Good to know. Do you pay income tax?

Of course. But all of mine and that of all the other workers is used up for social welfare, health and education. None left over for the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭waking dreams

Sure why wouldn't they when they are being forced to pay a TV License? So in your eyes is it okay for RTE to charge a fee to have a TV and not for someone wanting to view other content? The idea of a TV license is to provide a broadcasting setup free of advertisements and independent of shareholder and political interest as the British have put it below.

I could have swore I seen Advertisements on RTE the last time I checked.

"All of this content – and the television channels, radio stations and online spaces where audiences can find it – is paid for by the licence fee, allowing BBC's UK services to remain free of advertisements and independent of shareholder and political interest."

Of course. But all of mine and that of all the other workers is used up for social welfare, health and education. None left over for the water.

Can you give a breakdown of figures for each of these things? I'd like to see with my own eyes that there is no money left for water. I'd like to see the exact amount being spent on social welfare, health and education.

Could you also provide accurate figures on expenditure relating to TD salaries, top-ups, bonuses and pensions. As well as how much exactly is going to the bondholders?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

• Advertisement

Sure why wouldn't they when they are being forced to pay a TV License? So in your eyes is it okay for RTE to charge a fee to have a TV and not for someone wanting to view other content? The idea of a TV license is to provide a broadcasting setup free of advertisements and independent of shareholder and political interest as the British have put it below.

"All of this content – and the television channels, radio stations and online spaces where audiences can find it – is paid for by the licence fee, allowing BBC's UK services to remain free of advertisements and independent of shareholder and political interest."

Different subject of course. But just another example of where revenue can be got by government they will always go after it. It goes back to 1926 in this country.

I will be happier if/when a new charge is brought in which is not as weak in it's collection policy. 80 or 85% pay and have to pay extra for the freeloaders and the new collection of Freemen who think eventhough it is the law it doesn't apply to them.

Can you give a breakdown of figures for each of these things? I'd like to see with my own eyes that there is no money left for water. I'd like to see the exact amount being spent on social welfare, health and education.

Could you also provide accurate figures on expenditure relating to TD salaries, top-ups, bonuses and pensions. As well as how much exactly is going to the bondholders?

Ah now come here. It's a Sunday.

Pocoyo wrote: »

Congratulations on being the third (or maybe the fifth) to pass on the scaremongering today. Have you got a leak in your house?

Different subject of course. But just another example of where revenue can be got by government they will always go after it. It goes back to 1926 in this country.

I will be happier if/when a new charge is brought in which is not as weak in it's collection policy. 80 or 85% pay and have to pay extra for the freeloaders and the new collection of Freemen who think eventhough it is the law it doesn't apply to them.

It's not about law applying to one person and not to another.

The people protesting are protesting for your rights as well.

You do not have to accept this. You are already paying for your water. Dude, this is f*cking madness. For EVERYONE.

Ah now come here. It's a Sunday.

:)

The point is, those figures aren't available to you. Nor are they available to me.

Does that not make you feel a bit uncomfortable? All those hours spent working away and yet you don't know where a portion of your money is being spent.

Gives me the right willies!

And until I can see transparency, I just can't support Irish Water. I'm so surprised you can. As a hard working, intelligent citizen of this country, you and I deserve much better than this!

You do not have to accept this. You are already paying for your water. Dude, this is f*cking madness. For EVERYONE.

I don't want people protesting on makey-up rights on my behalf. And if that is your attitude to the law, why do you bother paying for anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

For the last time. We were previously paying an insufficient amount of money from our income tax. You persist with this lie that we're paying for water twice.

Indirect taxation is a less efficient method of funding anyway. It doesn't discourage water conservation.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    For the last time. We were previously paying an insufficient amount of money from our income tax. You persist with this lie that we're paying for water twice.

Indirect taxation is a less efficient method of funding anyway. It doesn't discourage water conservation.

Thank goodness the evening shift has arrived. Enda was on to me asking where you were:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Could you also provide accurate figures on expenditure relating to TD salaries, top-ups, bonuses and pensions.

A pittance in relation to the countries finances, barely registers. Which is why the claims of "reduce TDs wages to the industrial average and our problems will be solved" are short-sighted at best.

The expenses need to be sorted out, but would you want to be a TD on 25k a year? I certainly wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Thank goodness the evening shift has arrived. Enda was on to me asking where you were:)

Enda was on already? I posted that before four.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement