Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

S.O wrote: »
    Youtube search- ( #irishwater The man who cut off the water supply to elderly residents ) where Brians face was named and shamed.

Just watched it.

Why is 'Brian' turning off elderly residents water supply in Sept (when was this filmed?) if water bills aren't due until 2015?

Are they now turning off people's supply of water because they have protested, because that could pave the way for an all out disaster for Irish Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

They were installing meters. They had to cut the supply to install the meters (as they do at every house) when a few protestors (not residents of the houses affected) stepped in and prevented it. The crew informed the protestors they had to install the boundary box to reconnect it (the crews don't have any old stop cocks as they are obsolete). If they reconnected the water without a control valve it would have been worse because if there was a leak in the house etc. there would have been no way of turning off the water.

The protestors like to leave out these important facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,554 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Badger2009 wrote: »
    They were installing meters. They had to cut the supply to install the meters (as they do at every house) when a few protestors (not residents of the houses affected) stepped in and prevented it. The crew informed the protestors they had to install the boundary box to reconnect it (the crews don't have any old stop cocks as they are obsolete). If they reconnected the water without a control valve it would have been worse because if there was a leak in the house etc. there would have been no way of turning off the water.

The protestors like to leave out these important facts.

Your man behind the camera comes across as a right wanker, Love the incorrect description on the video as well to try sensationalize it when nothing of the sort happened.
    When he was being questioned he tried to push into the camera man and then tried to loaf the camera

Fair enough. Context is everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

One of the water meter installers in Dublin ( Brian ) cut off water on 3 old residents ( who were reconnected by community activists ( for refusing a water meter, his face has already being shown and shamed on social media, the same fate awaits other scabs who try anything similar.

Wow so somebody doing their job is a scab now, good one, think someone has there priorities wrong to me someone expecting the state to give them free water would be more of a scab than someone out doing their job. If I saw something like that on Social Media the first thing I would think is well done Brian for doing your job, and shame on the leeches that took his picture and posted it on Social Media in an attempt to bully him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

I see Judas Hogan got his 30 pieces of silver today for punishing his own people to save European banks etc.

Fair play to him, making the tough unpopular decisions to get us out of the mess the last lot got us into. Maybe he should have given us all free money say €100 per week per person in Ireland for nothing other than to win votes and appear popular to you Tayto. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

I see Judas Hogan got his 30 pieces of silver today for punishing his own people to save European banks etc.

Well done Mr Hogan.

You faced down the small minority of parasites in our society who sought to undermine the unpopular decisions you took to broaden the tax-base and put the domestic economy on a more stable footing.

The Irish electorate have shown themselves once again to be erudite enough to distinguish between unpopular taxes and the political shysters of the hard left who try to peddle their magic-beans solution to the economy.

Now the economy is on the turn, a lessening of austerity measures will begin to follow. The Shinners will fade back into political obscurity (did they ever emerge from it?).

When history is written about this time, our grandchildren will look back on such courageous politicians as Mr Hogan with a sense of gratitude.

geeksauce wrote: »
    Fair play to him, making the tough unpopular decisions to get us out of the mess the last lot got us into. Maybe he should have given us all free money say €100 per week per person in Ireland for nothing other than to win votes and appear popular to you Tayto. :rolleyes:

The only tough decision Hogan has made in the last 3 years was whether to take a dump before or after his breakfast roll.

Sure the troika were making all the decisions. Lest we forget. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Wholly owned by the people of Ireland.

Grand so, which bank account do I get the profits put into?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭S.O

Just watched it.

Why is 'Brian' turning off elderly residents water supply in Sept (when was this filmed?) if water bills aren't due until 2015?

Are they now turning off people's supply of water because they have protested, because that could pave the way for an all out disaster for Irish Water.

From the original post I saw on facebook about it a few months ago, a few people didn,t want the water meters installed, the fellow in the video turned off water on 3 residents and apparently said no meter/no water.

• Advertisement

geeksauce wrote: »
    Wow so somebody doing their job is a scab now, good one, think someone has there priorities wrong to me someone expecting the state to give them free water would be more of a scab than someone out doing their job. If I saw something like that on Social Media the first thing I would think is well done Brian for doing your job, and shame on the leeches that took his picture and posted it on Social Media in an attempt to bully him.

Except people aren,t getting free water, they re paying 1.2 billion for it, ask simon coveney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Well done Mr Hogan.

You faced down the small minority of parasites in our society who sought to undermine the unpopular decisions you took to broaden the tax-base and put the domestic economy on a more stable footing.

The Irish electorate have shown themselves once again to be erudite enough to distinguish between unpopular taxes and the political shysters of the hard left who try to peddle their magic-beans solution to the economy.

Now the economy is on the turn, a lessening of austerity measures will begin to follow. The Shinners will fade back into political obscurity (did they ever emerge from it?).

When history is written about this time, our grandchildren will look back on such courageous politicians as Mr Hogan with a sense of gratitude.

Get a room.
    Even some of the pro austerity crowd are cringing at that...

This is a must read.
    There's a very famous book you might have heard of. It was first published in 1936 by a man called Dale Carnegie, and came out again in the 1980s. It was called 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'.

I'm thinking of buying a copy for the bosses at Irish Water.

The new utility, a subsidiary of Bord Gais, is a semi-state body - but its critics insists its a private company, that will eventually be sold off for a profit thus fully privatising our water supply, costing us a fortune in the long run.

Whether that is a legitimate concern, or just another tinfoil hat conspiracy theory about the 'corporate takeover' of society, I don't know, but what I do know is that Irish Water needs to explain something - and explain it soon.

Why do they want PPS numbers for me, my wife and my children?

On the Opinion Line on Tuesday, I interviewed Darragh O'Brien from Castlebridge Associates, an expert in Data Protection law, who told me that Irish Water are certainly entitled to ask for my PPS under Social Welfare law.

However, our conversation left an unanswered question or two.

Irish Water's explanation is that in order to correctly calculate how much I'm going to have to pay them, they want to be able to assess what allowances we as a family are entitled to.

I confess, I was buying that explanation, until I looked a little deeper into it.

A caller on the show later in the morning, reminded me that electricity, gas and telephone service providers also take allowances into account, such as free units or free line rental for welfare recipients.

However, none of them ask for your PPS number. If you are entitled to something under a household benefit package, for example, the service provider can check that with the Department.

In other words, they don't need your PPS number at all, to do what Irish Water claims it needs it to do. So what's going on? Why does the company really want that information. I confess, it's hard not to be suspicious.

Deirdre, our Opinion Line editor, has now sent Irish Waters press office a lengthy email, inviting the company to put forward somebody who can take that question - and a few others - about its need for personal data.

As I write, there hasn't yet been a reply, but that might have changed before you get to read your Cork Independent today. We're certainly planning to stay across this one, as the Irish Water 'data packs' arrive in the post.

Our key question? What is it exactly that Irish Water needs our PPS for? Why can't they get details of our allowances and entitlements in the same way other service providers are happy to do?

What is going on with my personal data? Why is it necessary?

One sure way of not winning friends and failing to influence people is to adopt the attitude of "We want it."

Why? "Because we do." That won't work.

One of the things that Dale Carnegie said, in his famous book that I mentioned earlier, is that you should explain clearly and simply what you want and give people a fair opportunity to respond.

Well, unless Irish Water can explain very clearly and simply, why it is that they want my PPSN, what they intend to do with it, who will have access to it and how securely it will be stored, I've come to a decision.

They can sing for it.

http://www.corkindependent.com/20140910/news/water-you-doing-with-my-pps-S90657.html#.VBH_c23vmbw.facebook

As I can,t post links, youtube search ( Irish Water can't cut off your water supply.)

A fellow rang up the Irish water call centre making enquiries, jump to 5:14 on the video, the Irish water employee admits that they can,t cut people off and they have no way of reducing water pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

As I can,t post links, youtube search ( Irish Water can't cut off your water supply.)

A fellow rang up the Irish water call centre making enquiries, jump to 5:14 on the video, the Irish water employee admits that they can,t cut people off and they have no way of reducing water pressure.

They will find ways if they have to - http://maric.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Maric-Application-WATER-AUTHORITY.pdf
    Flow reducing valvles used a lot in Austrlia - but banned in UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Well done Mr Hogan.

'Broaden the tax base'? Ah yes, the usual apologist horse crap to try and conceal the obvious. We are paying for water thanks to the gambling of German & Irish BWanksters and for no other reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

There must be great money in whitewashing because theres some amount of it going on here!
    I've said it before and i'll say it again:
    They can bring on whatever tax they want. It'll just mean we will have less to spend in the economy. This is why businesses are falling.
    Stupid fools.

Ogham wrote: »
    They will find ways if they have to - http://maric.com.au/wp-content/uploads/Maric-Application-WATER-AUTHORITY.pdf
    Flow reducing valvles used a lot in Austrlia - but banned in UK.

Seriously mate. Have you some kind of affiliation with this outfit, from where I'm sat, it looks like you're actively cheering them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

shedweller wrote: »
    There must be great money in whitewashing because theres some amount of it going on here!
    I've said it before and i'll say it again:
    They can bring on whatever tax they want. It'll just mean we will have less to spend in the economy. This is why businesses are falling.
    Stupid fools.
    Economy is an after thought. Its all about paying back the billions that the country should never have got, should never have had to pay back (unsecured) and unless im raving, was Kenny and Co patting themselves today cuz Noonan got permission to pay some of it back early???

Fooking gobsh1tes.

Kenny couldnt give a fudge, hes just putting in time doing what hes told. Goes to bed at night with the lines he has to learn for tomorrows soundbite.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

what will happen in landlords divided apartments where some won't give their pps numbers, such as those not meant to be there like someones live in boyfriend/girlfriend. i expect a lot arguing there amongst the other tenants who won't want to be paying for them or any of those not disclosing their ID.

• Advertisement

The only tough decision Hogan has made in the last 3 years was whether to take a dump before or after his breakfast roll.

Sure the troika were making all the decisions. Lest we forget. ;)

i'd say he ate his dump, no waste at all.

VEN wrote: »
    what will happen in landlords divided apartments where some won't give their pps numbers, such as those not meant to be there like someones live in boyfriend/girlfriend. i expect a lot arguing there amongst the other tenants who won't want to be paying for them or any of those not disclosing their ID.

Only one PPS number requested from the person who will be liable for the charge.

Seriously mate. Have you some kind of affiliation with this outfit, from where I'm sat, it looks like you're actively cheering them on.

I've nothing at all to do with them - but I am just interested in the whole subject and am just trying to correct people who just post stuff that is incorrect. (Which seems to happen a lot) :)

I've nothing at all to do with them - but I am just interested in the whole subject and am just trying to correct people who just post stuff that is incorrect. (Which seems to happen a lot) :)

That's fair enough.

Any idea what they want the pps numbers for though? Truthfully.

That's fair enough.

Any idea what they want the pps numbers for though? Truthfully.

I've never said anything that wasn't truthful (based on my undersaning and reading of legislation etc)

As I have probably said before - the PPS number is the method the state use to identify a person in it's dealings with them - espacially welfare related.
    The free water allowance is essentially a government benefit .
    If they just gave every household a free allowance - it would be easier (and they probably wish they had done that now) . But - as far as i understand it they need to a) make sure no one gets the free allowance for more than one house. PPS is the best way to check this.

Same for teh kids allowance. To stop claiming for kids twice or making up non existent kids - the PPS number will be used to verify.
    I don't know exactly how they will verify - apart from the obvious one of checking for duplicate PPSN on their own database.

If the government didn't want these free allowance - then there would be no need for requesting PPS numbers .

Only one PPS number requested from the person who will be liable for the charge.

you mean one pps number per each apartment in a say a block of 4 apartments is all thats required? so the bill will be divided between 4 apartments, regardless if theres more people living in one using more water and 2-3 in the other paying for their usage. arguments will ensue. i can see many asking the landlord to collect every pps number just like prtb, bearing in mind, those who are not supposed to be there will have to f*** off, they won't want to be paying for their water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

VEN wrote: »
    you mean one pps number per each apartment in a say a block of 4 apartments is all thats required? so the bill will be divided between 4 apartments, regardless if theres more people living in one using more water and 2-3 in the other paying for their usage. arguments will ensue. i can see many asking the landlord to collect every pps number just like prtb, bearing in mind, those who are not supposed to be there will have to f*** off, they won't want to be paying for their water.

Each apartment will get its own bill.

cocoman wrote: »
    Each apartment will get its own bill.

Correct -
    Assuming no meters - bills will differ between apartments based on number of occupants declared on the "application pack" . More people = higher bills.
    See some figures here - http://www.moneyguideireland.com/water-charges

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The guy from IW told him that it's up to him if he wants to pay the water charge or not and that IW won't tell him what to do with his disposable income...how odd...

• Advertisement

TheZohan wrote: »
    The guy from IW told him that it's up to him if he wants to pay the water charge or not and that IW won't tell him what to do with his disposable income...how odd...

That's just one help desk employee - (or maybe even a subcontracted Abtran employee) - who was trying to be helpful - it doesn't mean it's official policy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement