Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Was on the side of accepting we have to pay it.

But after hearing this bonus lark ill be marching in two weeks.

Bonus????

What's a bonus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

yipeeeee wrote: »

When/Where is the next march?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

yipeeeee wrote: »

Bonus????

What's a bonus?

Is anyone talking about the ridiculous bonus culture at Bord Gais?
    (This after all being the reason for the IW bonuses).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Bonus

WE ALL PARTIED.

Bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

geeksauce wrote: »
    Many would agree, unfortunately not FG they seem to think privatisation of public services is the best way forward for whatever reason.
    But FG haven't produced any plans to privatise IW.

The only party that I'm aware of that are actually planning privatisation of water services is Sinn Fein.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is anyone talking about the ridiculous bonus culture at Bord Gais?
    (This after all being the reason for the IW bonuses).

Are BG operating a two tiered system, one price if you divulge your PPS number, a higher price if you refuse?

Is a % of my motor tax / vat or income paying for BG :confused:

If BG raise their unit cost to a level I cannot pay, I can look at changing my gas supplier.
    I can't with IW.

I can't with IW.

Your not paying IW are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Your not paying IW are you?

I do not intend to engage with them. However, many reading this thread may.

Why?

Does me not intending to pay IW make my point less valid?

Why?

No, it doesn't.

It just won't matter to you either way.

(Unless you use gas, in which case the company with the highest average wage in the nation can only have a negative impact on prices irrespective of who you pay the bill to).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Phoebas wrote: »
    But FG haven't produced any plans to privatise IW.

The only party that I'm aware of that are actually planning privatisation of water services is Sinn Fein.

If you want to know what FG s plans are, you need to find out what Europes plans are.
    Didnt the lad who set up IW get rewarded with a seat on the European commision lately?

The European Commission admitted to promoting water privatisation in countries like Greece and Portugal that use the bailout plan, as a condition to continue receiving the aid funds.

http://www.neurope.eu/article/commission-favor-water-privatisation-countries-receiving-bailout

The intention of the European Commission, it will begin here, in Portugal. Brussels demands that the country will sell its water supply. Here, in Pacos de Ferreira one began with the privatization of water already. Against the will of the citizens, as they tell us.
    http://www.right2water.eu/news/monitor-commission-plans-water-privatisation

Brussels – The European Commission is deliberately promoting privatization of water services as one of the conditions being imposed as part of bailouts, it has acknowledged in a letter to civil society groups.1 EU Commissioner Olli Rehn's directorate was responding to questions posed in an open letter concerning the European Commission’s role in imposing privatisation through the Troika in Greece, Portugal and other
    countries.

http://corporateeurope.org/pressreleases/2012/eu-commission-forces-crisis-hit-countries-privatise-water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Another hour passes, another make-it-up-as-we-go story from IW:
    Irish Water has requested an extension of the deadline for application forms.

The Commission for Energy Regulation has confirmed that it has received the request, and it is likely to make a decision over the next week or so.

Currently, the deadline is October 31 for householders to send in their allowance forms, which includes the requirement for a PPS number.
    However, there is also a 60-day "look back" period which means if forms are submitted by the end of November, the allowances from October 1 will apply

That's a new one! Of course all it really means is that people aren't returning the forms despite the threats and spin - so much for the notion that the Budget concessions would kill the resistance/protests.

Satriale wrote: »
    If you want to know what FG s plans are, you need to find out what Europes plans are.
    No.
    When I want to know what FGs plans are I go to the FG website and look at their policy documents.
    When I want to know what SFs plans are I go to the SF website and look at their policy documents.

Sinn Fein do have a policy to privatise water services. FG do not.

I must say I find it odd that people go on and on about FG privatisation plans that don't exist, while happily ignore SF privatistion plans, which do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

No.
    When I want to know what FGs plans are I go to the FG website and look at their policy documents.
    When I want to know what SFs plans are I go to the SF website and look at their policy documents.

I must say I find it odd that people go on and on about FG privatisation plans that don't exist, while happily ignore SF privatistion plans, which do.

Privatisation plans that don't exist in the outlined policies. That could be amended fairly quick as we have witnessed in recent months.

I can't find it...

Linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

No.

What's this got to do with anything, SF aren't in government. Or are you merely providing a smokescreen?.

EazyD wrote: »
    Privatisation plans that don't exist in the outlined policies. That could be amended fairly quick as we have witnessed in recent months.
    Nail on the head there - Sinn Fein's current policy document was rushed out during the by-election campaign.

Good spot.

Joshua J wrote: »
    What's this got to do with anything, SF aren't in government. Or are you merely providing a smokescreen?.

What have one of the major party's policy on water charges got to do with a thread entitled:
    "***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***"

Seriously? :rolleyes:

I can't find it...

Linky?

http://www.sinnfein.ie/files/2014/WaterServicesDoc_2014.pdf
    SF wrote:
    Funding should be generated through mixed income of which the majority is through public subsidy from the Government, in addition to non-domestic charges, commercial borrowing and equity investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Those Sierra lads must really love their jobs ...

:rolleyes:

Yup. I live on a back road off a back road north east of the middle of no where. There are two ancient, two room cottages along this road. They havent been lived in in decades and barely have roofs left on them. They both have metres!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Getting back to one of the more important issues, the effect of this new charge on ordinary people who are suffering the consequences of austerity.

The effect on families already living in poverty, are outlined by this piece in the Times.

The real impact of the charge has been forgotten and buried by the government, and their cronies.

Water charges risk plunging the poor into deeper poverty, leading economist warns.

Dr Tom McDonnell of the Nevin Economic Research Institute said a household with a lone adult would pay €176, with a further €102 for each extra adult

The introduction of water charges is generally regressive and, without additional policy measures, will increase poverty for the poorest members of Irish society, a leading economist has warned following a detailed study of the proposed changes.
    Dr Tom McDonnell said that while the move from paying for water by general taxation to a tariff-based, metered system had merits in terms of discouraging water wastage, it also had consequences in terms of social justice and the impact it would have on the poorest sections of Irish society.
    “Moving to a tariff system where water charges are going be a larger proportion of the income of poorer households, because everybody uses about the same amount of water . . . by doing that, we are basically moving the burden of water costs down the income groups.”

Dr McDonnell said it was generally accepted internationally that water affordability should not exceed 2 per cent of the disposable income of the poorest members of society. The Irish proposals would exceed those levels. Dr McDonnell, of the Nevin Economic Research Institute, was speaking at the Dublin Economics Workshop 37th Annual Economic Policy Conference, held in Cork.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/water-charges-risk-plunging-the-poor-into-deeper-poverty-leading-economist-warns-1.1969471

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Why?

I tried to engage with IW:
    Back when i was reluctantly in favour of water metering I emailed IW 3 times for an application pack. Received no reply or a pack. Attempted to call and was advised that as the lines are very very busy that i could apply on line.....
    To apply on line one needs the pin number contained within THE APPLICATION PACK!!!!!!
    Just as well that Im now firmly on the '**** this, Im not paying their bonus culture" side of the fence.

No.

You are foolish to believe anything FG write/say/ in policy documents/manifestos/"contracts with the people".

I couldnt give a fiddlers fcuk about SF, i dont believe a word they say either. When they are in power, (aided in no small part by FG), i will be railing against their privatisation plans too and i'm sure a lot more besides.

I must say i find it odd you would ignore the Commissions plans to privatise water and deflect with ramblings about sf.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,975 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You are foolish to believe anything FG write/say/ in policy documents/manifestos/"contracts with the people".

I couldnt give a fiddlers fcuk about SF, i dont believe a word they say either. When they are in power, (aided in no small part by FG), i will be railing against their privatisation plans too and i'm sure a lot more besides.

I must say i find it odd you would ignore the Commissions plans to privatise water and deflect with ramblings about sf.

Whats odd about that, Its the FG way....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Joshua J wrote: »

That's all it is.
    Next you will be thrown the curve ball of what ISIS would do with water if they were in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

mikom wrote: »
    That's all it is.
    Next you will be thrown the curve ball of what ISIS would do with water if they were in power.

I am expecting a reference to a murdered woman any minute

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I tried to engage with IW:
    Back when i was reluctantly in favour of water metering I emailed IW 3 times for an application pack. Received no reply or a pack. Attempted to call and was advised that as the lines are very very busy that i could apply on line.....
    To apply on line one needs the pin number contained within THE APPLICATION PACK!!!!!!
    Just as well that Im now firmly on the '**** this, Im not paying their bonus culture" side of the fence.

hahaha

FFS.

The sheer level of muppetry is absolutely staggering.

And some people want to give their money and private information to these feckin idiots.

I honestly don't know who's worse.

:pac:

Show me the "Commissions plans to privatise water" in Ireland.

(and not some opinion piece in a newspaper or a blog post from a campaign group)

(and not some opinion piece in a newspaper or a blog post from a campaign group)

I would, but i suspect you would then want to see a video of the Commission making the plan, accompanied by provenance of the video signed by JC Yunker.
    So lets not waste both our times.;)

I would, but i suspect you would then want to see a video of the Commission making the plan, accompanied by provenance of the video signed by JC Yunker.
    So lets not waste both our times.;)
    No. Really - show me the "Commissions plans to privatise water" in Ireland - the one that a few posts ago you said I was ignoring.

Post it up there so we can all have a good read of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

im strictly on the anti-privatisation/anti-IW side here but ive not seen any actual plans either, so i'd like a link for this too if you can find it Satriale

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement