Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Maybe SF will organise internal courts to decide how much people should pay???

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mynameismud

Apparently there is a meeting tonight in government buildings about Irish Water.

Wonder what that could be about?

John Tierney and his board are to be sacked and replaced by Basil Fawlty,Laurel and Hardy and Spinal Tap

Phoebas and dxhound2005 to take over the PR department

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

What union negotiated the bonuses for staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,030 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That's your prerogative.

But, I think your using the term 'sponger' very loosely.

It's been rumored (yeah, rumored so who knows) that the reason the deadline is being pushed back is apparently because only 80k packs have been filled in properly.

If this is true (and I know it might not) the 'spongers' are most definitely in the majority, and the Govt are in serious difficulties.

Be helpful if Irish Water would just come out and say either way.

Any more information on those rumors? They say they are getting a lot of phone calls. Unless the NO side have organised teams to ring up wasting their time (no shortage of phones out there) the numbers would indicate a good deal of engagement from the public.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/10000-householders-a-day-calling-irish-water-as-tds-raise-concerns-291778.html

Irish Water was also forced yesterday to concede the deadline for households to register their personal details for charges may be extended. It said yesterday it had received 100,000 calls in the last fortnight, 70,000 in the last week alone.

I drove through three different areas, well separated, in Dundalk today where meters were being installed. Not a sign of any protester anywhere. I think the manpower on the NO side is simply not out there to have any real effect on the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

What union negotiated the bonuses for staff?

Is there some connection between bonuses already in place to other workers under the Eriva group (BG)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Have had to send off an email regarding the whereabouts of my application pack. Can't get through on phone (either waiting too long so run out of credit, or lack of time). Don't think I'll be applying by the deadline anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

efb wrote: »
    Paid up tax payer not a sponger.

Gullible fool more like

Gullible fool more like

A lot of slow learners out there. Believe all the nonsense about some mass campaign, don't apply, get charged more. Nonsense from the same quarters who said Don't Register, Don't Pay, it will go away. How did that work out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

Phoebas, mini CuChulainn, DXhound2005, Timberrrrr

why are you guys policing this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

A lot of slow learners out there. Believe all the nonsense about some mass campaign, don't apply, get charged more. Nonsense from the same quarters who said Don't Register, Don't Pay, it will go away. How did that work out?

Do you know something we don't ? The only recourse they have is taking a civil case to the courts. Enough don't pay or engage there will be serious problems, Courts could collapse under the weight of none payment cases. Some believe a few high profile cases will make people fall in line. I doubt it most people will wait to go to court and pay the fine. That's if it even gets that far. IW cannot dip directly into your wages. People are waking up to the fact that some of us from the start said this was a total sham jobs for the boys outfit.

• Advertisement

Do you know something we don't ? The only recourse they have is taking a civil case to the courts. Enough don't pay or engage there will be serious problems, Courts could collapse under the weight of none payment cases. Some believe a few high profile cases will make people fall in line. I doubt it most people will wait to go to court and pay the fine. That's if it even gets that far. IW cannot dip directly into your wages. People are waking up to the fact that some of us from the start said this was a total sham jobs for the boys outfit.

Heard it all before. Ask yourself why 80% plus pay the TV licence. I'll answer that. Because it is a long standing law, the worst sort of tax is a new tax. TV licence is easy to evade and apart from the usual spongers we now have a generation of Freemen deciding that it does not apply to them. Tens of thousands of prosecutions have gone through the courts, not a word about it on RTE, hardly anything in the papers. IW is just the story of the day for the press, it will fade away, like the HHC hysteria did.

A utility bill is different, arrears will build up, and up, a contract debt to be discharged at some time. None of the ordinary political parties SF included, nor the trade union movement will support a campaign of law breaking. Paul Murphy and his ilk are the only elements out there who will advocate law breaking. That is different from supporting a campaign to rescind the law, which is a lost cause at this stage.

I know water charges are not a tax, its just a bit of shorthand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭emo72

i take it everone has seen this powerpoint by IW? i particularly like this bit of "consumer" brainwashing

Irish Water communications strategy
    Presentation Transcript

4. IRISH CITIZEN WATER CONSUMER Citizens need to understand that they are consumers “Water is free” “Water costs money” “We need to invest for the future” IRISH WATER CUSTOMER Consumers need to appreciate that they are customers “I value water”“IW provides my water” “I am charged for water” “I pay my water bill” Audience 4

here is a link to the full brainwash powerpoint presentation.

http://www.slideshare.net/gavinsblog/irish-water-communications-strategy

"citizens need to understand they are consumers." its brainwashing and spin lads, you can see its already infected a few people already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 hiFidelity

I will ask again, dxhound2005
    why are you and Phoebas and the other two guys I mentioned policing this thread? It is unreal, I go back a couple of pages and there you are, I go back 3 or 4 weeks and there you are.

Hope you dont mind me asking but what do you do for a day-job? This issue on boards seems to be an obsession with you, Phoebas, and those other two posters I mentioned. I mean what is the story? seriously

i love this bit especially:

"IRISH WATER.....USING A MIX OF COMMUNICATION TOOLS....WILL CHANGE CITIZENS"

its seriously disturbing and crass. we need to be changed to become willing payers. disgusting.

http://www.slideshare.net/gavinsblog/irish-water-communications-strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

hiFidelity wrote: »
    why are you and Phoebas and the other two guys I mentioned policing this thread? It is unreal, I go back a couple of pages and there you are, I go back 3 or 4 weeks and there you are.

Hope you dont mind me asking but what do you do for a day-job? This issue on boards seems to be an obsession with you, Phoebas, and those other two posters I mentioned. I mean what is the story? seriously

I'm pretty sure at least one is a sock puppet.

hiFidelity wrote: »

i assumed they worked full time on this thread. i check in once a day to see how its going and they are on it non stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

We're already recieving water bills, how is this even a big thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I dont believe it is a campaign.

It would have a budget the size of the nsa, and we would all be paying a flat rate fee on top of everything else to stop the leaking internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,799 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

gladrags wrote: »
    Are there any protests in Sligo?

ah yeah plenty - there was a bus from sligo up to Dublin last week to protest, and i think theres another one planned 1st nov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Heard it all before. Ask yourself why 80% plus pay the TV licence. I'll answer that. Because it is a long standing law, the worst sort of tax is a new tax. TV licence is easy to evade and apart from the usual spongers we now have a generation of Freemen deciding that it does not apply to them. T

An Post are charged with the collection of the TV licence, dxhound2005.
    A great bunch of lads........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

EazyD wrote: »
    On the other hand you've been labelling the opposition as hardcore SF looneys. That's fairly pathetic no?

The truth is people who oppose the water tax scam aren't supporters of any particular party or political movement at all. They are normal ordinary working people who refuse to be taken for fools anymore by those in power. The rate for returning the water documents seems to be in and around the 50% rate and if true Irish water is finished. Will it drag the government down with it is the only question remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The truth is people who oppose the water tax scam aren't supporters of any particular party or political movement at all. They are normal ordinary working people who refuse to be taken for fools anymore by those in power. The rate for returning the water documents seems to be in and around the 50% rate and if true Irish water is finished. Will it drag the government down with it is the only question remaining.

33% return rate according to this mornings papers, how many of those dont include PPS numbers is another matter.

Expect a lot of IW announcements today btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Infoanon wrote: »

there's a meeting of the EMC happening in leinster house right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Infoanon wrote: »
    33% return rate according to this mornings papers, how many of those dont include PPS numbers is another matter.

Indo is saying 500,000 have registered, but quite a few people saying it's a lot less than that.

Minjor wrote: »
    Indo is saying 500,000 have registered, but quite a few people saying it's a lot less than that.

500,000 is 33% on 1.5 million households.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

500,000 is 33% on 1.5 million households.

I'm aware of that. And it may not be as high as 33 percent, those that have registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

My only issues with this fiasco are:

1. The gombeen manner in which IW was set up and is being run.

2. I really don't want to give my pps number to a company which will be privatised.

I'm aware of that. And it may not be as high as 33 percent, those that have registered.

sorry, read your reply wrong. im only on my first cuppa this morn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

ah yeah plenty - there was a bus from sligo up to Dublin last week to protest, and i think theres another one planned 1st nov

Benn to Sligo many times.

Might see you on Nov1st

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The indo.............. yes the indo.

Let me tell you about the indo.
    You will love the story.
    Denis O’Brien bought Siteserv for €45.4million in cash.

Siteserv bought Sierra Communications.

Sierra Communications, was chosen as the preferred bidder for a €50million, three-year Bord Gáis contract – to provide boiler installation and servicing services to Bord Gáis

Bord Gáis has bid for and won the task of establishing Irish Water

Denis O’Brien, who has a 29.9 per cent stake, is the biggest shareholder in the Independent News & Media................ the indo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement