Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Political suicide Enda you silly, silly man.

Enda doesn't give a toss - he has been a TD since 1975 and the way things are going he probably won't bother to even contest GE 2016 himself.

He'll either ride off into the sunset with multiple pensions like his predecessor - free to fulfil a retirement plan of well-paid lobbying or dinner speaking, or he'll be rewarded by our "friends" in Europe with a top job there.

He won't be losing any sleep over what this mess (the hallmark of his government really - limping from one scandal or botch-job to another) will be doing for his re-election chances. FFS they've even made FF a viable contender again!

He'll rightly be remembered as one of the worst "leaders" we've ever had IMO - a man who achieved nothing of note at home, was led around by the nose by his EU "betters", and who managed to be even WORSE than the 2 before him!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Reminds me of Custer's Last Stand on this thread this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Never said it wasn't a bad mistake. But it's one that was rectified very quickly. What data breaches would ye like examples of? Banks, Government departments, Utilities, Mobile networks, Credit Card companies, shops, online services? There all available fairly easily on google. Seemed for a while that laptops and memory keys full of customer information were going missing very regularly.

So does this mean some,as opposed to every?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

gladrags wrote: »

I would not believe that there is a company or business out there that hasn't had some sort of data breach, if not through poor technology then by loose lipped employees.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

I would not believe that there is a company or business out there that hasn't had some sort of data breach, if not through poor technology then by loose lipped employees.

Get real

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

gladrags wrote: »

Well spotted.

The dangers of sweeping statements/exaggerstions on boards will get ya roasted!

For the record: none of my companies have ever breached data protection. Only public bodies and banks seem to be able to get away with such breaches, unscathed.

Get real

Cool. Ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

There are severe penalties in place for a reason. Funny then that IW have got that many passes in their cock-ups thus far.

goz83 wrote: »
    Well spotted.

The dangers of sweeping statements/exaggerstions on boards will get ya roasted!

For the record: none of my companies have ever breached data protection. Only public bodies and banks seem to be able to get away with such breaches, unscathed.

Like Sega? 1.3 million accounts compromised. Maybe Ebay, gmail or mastercard are more your thing. Eircom, Bord Gais, Centra, Unislim, ESB, Paddy Power if you want to go Irish. The list goes on. You're a fool if you think you are 100% secure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Like Sega? 1.3 million accounts compromised. Maybe Ebay, gmail or mastercard are more your thing. Eircom, Bord Gais, Centra, Unislim, ESB, Paddy Power if you want to go Irish. The list goes on. You're a fool if you think you are 100% secure.

And which of the above are you required by law, to trust your details with

hju6 wrote: »
    And which of the above are you required by law, to trust your details with

Are you required by law to give it to IW? That's a new claim.

They were hacked , they didn't print, envelope and post the details out. Completely different situation

Didn't you say on thread earlier that you hoped anyone that gave false information on their application packs would be "prosecuted"

So while not being obliged by law to engage with them, those choosing to, we're legally compelled not to give false info.
    Spoiled? It's not a vote system. If it's not readable or incomplete they'll just throw it out. If it contains false information then they'll hopefully be following up with prosecutions.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92698988&postcount=6406

They were hacked , they didn't print, envelope and post the details out. Completely different situation

Cool. Well here's some more to keep you going.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=%2Fdocuments%2Fcasestudies%2FCategoryCS.htm&CatID=10&m=c#Security-of-Data

According to this article hacks comes behind negligent employees which account for over one third of breaches.

https://www.dataprotection.ie/ViewDoc.asp?fn=%2Fdocuments%2Fcasestudies%2FCategoryCS.htm&CatID=10&m=c#Security-of-Data

According to this article hacks comes behind negligent employees which account for over one third of breaches.

Mainly rogue ex employees, and hacking. Shouldn't you get back to work? Lots of applications to go through...

Negligent employees on guaranteed bonuses

It gets better, keep digging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I'd dig for a bonus. Especially considering I can be an incompetent fool and still get it. Cha-Ching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Whatever the current line of discussion in this thread is, it should be clear to all exactly how much of a shambolic, incompetent organisation Irish Water is.

Thread poll needs updating. It's no longer a question of being opposed to charges.

It's a question of being opposed to a culture copy and pasted from the very worst practice's of public service in Ireland.

Practices we were assured were a thing of the past.

Mainly rogue ex employees, and hacking. Shouldn't you get back to work? Lots of applications to go through...

Pathetic attempt to end a discussion by accusing me of being a shill. If that's all you have to counter my post I suggest you go back to sleep.

I've presented evidence that data breaches have been reported by companies both large and small, public and private, via hacking, negligence and intent in Ireland and all across the world just as I was asked to. Any time I counter a post you ignore it and try a new tactic. Have you given up on claiming people are required by law to provide details to IW in the last few posts?

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of IW. Let's not pretend the breach of 10 peoples information to their landlord is some major incident that should shut them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 mynameismud

Satriale wrote: »
    The clock is definitely ticking for Tierney now, Enda is expressing full confidence in him.

I hope he stays,IW will definitely fail with him in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Pathetic attempt to end a discussion by accusing me of being a shill. If that's all you have to counter my post I suggest you go back to sleep.

I've presented evidence that data breaches have been reported by companies both large and small, public and private, via hacking, negligence and intent in Ireland and all across the world just as I was asked to. Any time I counter a post you ignore it and try a new tactic. Have you given up on claiming people are required by law to provide details to IW in the last few posts?

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of IW. Let's not pretend the breach of 10 peoples information to their landlord is some major incident that should shut them down.

I wouldn't talk about shutting them down, but for me it is a major incident, and I would be very reluctant to give them any such information. Difference of opinion I guess.

Anyway, obviously your first few comments around data breaches were a generalization. There are companies that never had data breaches, because they have controls in place.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I wouldn't talk about shutting them down, but for me it is a major incident, and I would be very reluctant to give them any such information. Difference of opinion I guess.

Anyway, obviously your first few comments around data breaches were a generalization. There are companies that never had data breaches, because they have controls in place.

If they haven't detected any breaches then they may be lucky not to have any. But it's not down to control. Even the best controlled data is vulnerable to breaches caused by malicious action or human error.

Delaying the inevitable imo.

In fact I hope the mass demonstration and protest is delayed by a month to coincide with it.
    HOMEOWNERS are set to be granted a one month reprieve on their water bills, it was confirmed today.

The Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) has said that the troubled quango is seeking a month extension to the deadline for registration by households.

This will have a knock-on effect on the date set for the first bills to be sent out.

The news means that householders look set to pay their first water charges at the end of January and not January 1, as previously planned.

Such a move will give families a one month reprieve after the costly Christmas period.

Commissioner Paul McGowan told the Oireachtas Environment Committtee today that Irish Water has formally sought a 30 day extension on the previously October 31 deadline for registration.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/homeowners-to-be-granted-one-month-reprieve-as-water-bills-delayed-30682001.html

They're just drawing it out at this point/ awaiting further instructions from their German betters.

It will take more than a month to sort that mess out :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Something worth taking note of here.

If this was an "error" by IW who were all of the pps numbers ONLY sent to lan Lords? ???
    An error would be maybe sent to someone of the same name as you etc.
    But ALL 10 went to their LL's???

Stinks to high heaven and certainly gives credence to not having any thing to do with this pack of swindlers.

Smidge wrote: »
    Something worth taking note of here.

If this was an "error" by IW who were all of the pps numbers ONLY sent to lan Lords? ???
    An error would be maybe sent to someone of the same name as you etc.
    But ALL 10 went to their LL's???

Stinks to high heaven and certainly gives credence to not having any thing to do with this pack of swindlers.

Where they be addressed to the landlords by name or just by address?

If we want to talk IW data concerns, I would be interested to know why packs are going to peoples parents addresses instead of their own home. Where are they getting this information from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Delaying the inevitable imo.

In fact I hope the mass demonstration and protest is delayed by a month to coincide with it.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/homeowners-to-be-granted-one-month-reprieve-as-water-bills-delayed-30682001.html

They're just drawing it out at this point/ awaiting further instructions from their German betters.

Jaysus, i love it, the longer they drag it out the better. It's fierce entertainment.

• Advertisement

Satriale wrote: »
    Jaysus, i love it, the longer they drag it out the better. It's fierce entertainment.

Giving the protester's next week something further to protest about. :D

Not one fcuking iota.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement