Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Where they be addressed to the landlords by name or just by address?

If we want to talk IW data concerns, I would be interested to know why packs are going to peoples parents addresses instead of their own home. Where are they getting this information from?

This was discussed before.
    Iw are getting information from somewhere and imo (and an awful lot of other people agree) it is not ethical and above board. Don't ask for proof. Like anything else that is untoward the evidence is there in people's laps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Smidge wrote: »
    This was discussed before.
    Iw are getting information from somewhere and imo (and an awful lot of other people agree) it is not ethical and above board. Don't ask for proof. Like anything else that is untoward the evidence is there in people's laps.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Like Sega? 1.3 million accounts compromised. Maybe Ebay, gmail or mastercard are more your thing. Eircom, Bord Gais, Centra, Unislim, ESB, Paddy Power if you want to go Irish. The list goes on. You're a fool if you think you are 100% secure.

That's a fairly condesceding remark,to call someone a fool for expressing a logical comment.

gladrags wrote: »
    That's a fairly condesceding remark,to call someone a fool for expressing a logical comment.

Report it if you feel so offended but that's not what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

If they haven't detected any breaches then they may be lucky not to have any. But it's not down to control. Even the best controlled data is vulnerable to breaches caused by malicious action or human error.

I can't argue regarding malicious actions, but, at least in the three companies I have worked for, the controls that were/are in place, would eliminate any chance of human errors.

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I can't argue regarding malicious actions, but, at least in the three companies I have worked for, the controls that were/are in place, would eliminate any chance of human errors.

Maybe to a large extent but you just can't account for it all. How do you prevent an incident such as an employee letting details about a client slip when they have a few drinks? Even small things like sending an email with a spelling mistake in the location. You can take lots of preventative measures but it's just not possible to completely protect data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Delaying the inevitable imo.

In fact I hope the mass demonstration and protest is delayed by a month to coincide with it.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/homeowners-to-be-granted-one-month-reprieve-as-water-bills-delayed-30682001.html

They're just drawing it out at this point/ awaiting further instructions from their German betters.

No need to delay the mass demonstration. We'll just have another one again! I reckon you'd get 100k on the streets weekly at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Where they be addressed to the landlords by name or just by address?

If we want to talk IW data concerns, I would be interested to know why packs are going to peoples parents addresses instead of their own home. Where are they getting this information from?

Here

http://www.nationalarchives.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Maybe to a large extent but you just can't account for it all. How do you prevent an incident such as an employee letting details about a client slip when they have a few drinks? Even small things like sending an email with a spelling mistake in the location. You can take lots of preventative measures but it's just not possible to completely protect data.
    What action will be taken against the Irish Water employee who illegally disclosed client information and is it known if a fee was paid for that information?

Just asking because you have moved so far away from the breach of the data act by Irish Water that people might forget about what this point was about to begin with

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Satriale wrote: »
    Jaysus, i love it, the longer they drag it out the better. It's fierce entertainment.

Im finding my mood change from angry to just pure laughing at how incompetent the whole thing is. Not a chance it can go ahead now. Im confident of that. If Savage eye or somebody else tried to do a spoof on the set up and implementation, I doubt it would be as funny.

• Advertisement

cajonlardo wrote: »
    What action will be taken against the Irish Water employee who illegally disclosed client information and is it known if a fee was paid for that information?

Just asking because you have moved so far away from the breach of the data act by Irish Water that people might forget about what this point was about to begin with

I thought most people accepted it was a mistake. There was no evidence to the contrary was there?

I thought most people accepted it was a mistake. There was no evidence to the contrary was there?

In a statement, a spokesperson for the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner said…
    “I can confirm that Irish Water reported this matter to this Office under
    the Personal Data Security Breach Code of Practice and it was dealt with as
    a data security breach.
    “This required that (1) affected individuals be notified of the matter, advising them of steps they can take to protect themselves, (2) the actual recipients of the letters be contacted and asked to return the letters to Irish Water and (3) put in place procedures to prevent a repeat of this type of incident.

And

Data issues
    Last month, Irish Water apologised to over 6,o00 customers who were sent letters by the company with data relating to other people.
    The semi-state company had been investigating the possibility of a data breach after it emerged that letters sent to 6,329 multiple home-owners were wrongly addressed.

Bit of a theme going on

hju6 wrote: »
    In a statement, a spokesperson for the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner said…
    “I can confirm that Irish Water reported this matter to this Office under
    the Personal Data Security Breach Code of Practice and it was dealt with as
    a data security breach.
    “This required that (1) affected individuals be notified of the matter, advising them of steps they can take to protect themselves, (2) the actual recipients of the letters be contacted and asked to return the letters to Irish Water and (3) put in place procedures to prevent a repeat of this type of incident.

Does that have some specific meaning I'm not aware of? Is that not what all data protection failures are referred to as by the commissioner?

Does that have some specific meaning I'm not aware of? Is that not what all data protection failures are referred to as by the commissioner?

So two data breaches by a company not even 6 months old does not set any alarm bells ringing?

I don't think this kind of mistake could be accepted by anyone.
    Least of all the ten people whose LL's know exactly how much is in their bank account. Not everyone is on good terms with their LL but take this under consideration. ..........

How many of your family and friends, your nearest so to speak, know exactly what is in YOUR BANK ACCOUNT? ????

Do you tell people your salary?
    Do you tell people how many loans you have and how much you owe out?
    Would you like your family to see EXACTLY what you spend your money on with Internet " purchases"????

Now, think about it. If you don't want people who you trust knowing this, there's no way anyone else knowing it is a step far too far

• Registered Users Posts: 14 VladToBeHere

I wonder what the number is of deceased people who got letters, and won't be able to pay, and will be pursued by debt collection companies for years till someone notices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

The battle is lost for the IW scam. The only question now is can it also bring down this inept government with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    OK so a water meter was installed on Sept 3rd - 46 days (roughly 7 weeks)

I have been lifting the lid and checking the readings and I "seemed" quite high.

Rang Irish Water to clarify how to read properly and asked for someone to call and check all is OK, They called when I was out of the country, rang me afterwards and said that their fitting is OK and there is no leak 200mm up from the stop cock.

Dring the course of the conversation the call person didn't have a reading from the engineer who called and had to clarify if my 17yr old daughter is entitled to an allowance (she is of 21,000litres).

So I told her that I read the meter on Wednesday it was 26xxx (xxx being red digits), this equates to 26,000 litres. So she said you may well have a leak, Great I say to myself.

I arrived home yesterday to an empty house and I checked and yes the dial is moving, it looks like a litre every 1min 40sec

Round this up to 2mins a litre this means 30litres per hour and on to 720 litres per day!!

So Irish Water rang yesterday as I was checking and I said there may be a leak and what do I do, he says call a plumber!

I said I thought there was a first fix free policy announced and he says not until 2015.

So we both conclude that I do one of the following…

1) call plumber and fix it now off my own bat, no reimbursement from Irish Water
    or
    2) wait for the first fix free policy to start and allow water to leak,if it is a leak.

Questions..
    1) anyone else come across this? Having a meter installed and the meter indicating that there is a leak

2) What do I do? fix now or wait

3) anyone have suggestions as to identifying where the leak is?

I do not think that they want to fix a leak until it is recorded a a measurable amount in order to maximize bonus payments.
    Hence spend 1 billion to record first - then you can improve and get big sums for making a great improvement!

So two data breaches by a company not even 6 months old does not set any alarm bells ringing?

What was the second?
    I don't think this kind of mistake could be accepted by anyone.

Did you misread the post you quoted or do you not now the difference between accepted and acceptable?

Least of all the ten people whose LL's know exactly how much is in their bank account. Not everyone is on good terms with their LL but take this under consideration. ..........

That's not the information that was released though. Irish Water don't have that info. Surely it was their account numbers that were released, presumably attached to some kind of direct debit confirmation.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/13-controversies-dogged-irish-water-094355225.html

14 reasons why people don’t like and don’t trust Irish Water

2 reasons include "data breaches"

So most people do not accept it as a mistake

• Advertisement

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/13-controversies-dogged-irish-water-094355225.html

14 reasons why people don’t like and don’t trust Irish Water

2 reasons include "data breaches"

So most people do not accept it as a mistake

A data breach can be a mistake though. You seem unable to grasp this concept for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Sending out bills.. what have they done yet?? Currently, who is maintaining and treating our water? Where? How? When? I want to know EXACTLY what is happening with every drop of water I am supposed to pay for.

All I know of (apart from data breach) is that they've opened 6 new office and a headquarters in Dublin (including a €55k gym) & paid €64m to consultants. They're leaking money as though it coming from the dodgy burst pipes they're meant to be maintaining.

Again, plucking figures out of the sky (where water apparently doesn't come from...), jobs for the boys, bonuses etc. and ****ing muggins here will pay for it all. So will future generations.

Where have I seen this craic before? Oh, yea, Anglo Irish Bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

A data breach can be a mistake though. You seem unable to grasp this concept for some reason.

But there was 10 individual data breaches. More than A mistake.

But there was 10 data breaches. More than A mistake.

That's just hair splitting. The same mistake made 10 times before being noticed. But have it your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Sending out bills.. what have they done yet?? Currently, who is maintaining and treating our water? Where? How? When? I want to know EXACTLY what is happening with every drop of water I am supposed to pay for.

All I know of (apart from data breach) is that they've opened 6 new office and a headquarters in Dublin (including a €55k gym) & paid €64m to consultants. They're leaking money as though it coming from the dodgy burst pipes they're meant to be maintaining.

Again, plucking figures out of the sky (where water apparently doesn't come from...), jobs for the boys, bonuses etc. and ****ing muggins here will pay for it all. So will future generations.

Where have I seen this craic before? Oh, yea, Anglo Irish Bank.

Do you know off hand who is treating the water,and how?

Cannot see anything on IW.

Irish Water data protection notice analysed by an expert

http://obriend.info/2014/09/06/irish-water-data-protection-notice-a-review/

His conclusion

There are some good things about this Data Protection notice. However, they are outweighed by:

Poor structure and layout that makes it very difficult to find relevant information and understand what is being done with data
    Some extremely vague and non-specific provisions, as well as some “kitchen sink” “just-in-casery” in terms of what is being addressed
    Some simply unsupportable approaches to obtaining consent
    An appearance of a fragmented and not properly thought through approach to governance of Data and management of Data Protection obligations.
    The upshot:

Tinfoil hat brigade will have wriggle room to misunderstand potentially valid and allowable processing purposes, which will lead to more nonsense and noise.
    The rest of us will find our data being processed in a range of vague and unspecified ways to which we will be told “you consented”, which we actually didn’t as consent needs to be freely given and meaningful and it is difficult to see how one can consent to take -it-or -leave-it provisions in the terms and conditions of a monopoly organisation.
    Irish Water will wind up dealing with Data Protection complaints, some groundless but many with a strong basis.
    Irish Water will engage in activities that will actually breach Data Protection rules when they engage in marketing, and will attempt to argue that customers consented. This will result in investigations by the DPC, and avoidable legal costs in defending prosecutions.

That's just hair splitting. The same mistake made 10 times before being noticed. But have it your way.

And given your last few posts, your tenacity to defend the indefensible and your complete disregard of any responses given to you in reply to any of your questions, I chose to no longer acknowledge your posts as you clearly have an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I've read all of this thread and you keep coming on here saying stuff that makes it look like you will defend IW no matter what !! There are other supporters of IW but you are fanatical about them , so I have to ask if you are auld big thick Phil hogan ?? How's the new job goin, have ya fecked that up yet !!

And given your last few posts, your tenacity to defend the indefensible and your complete disregard of any responses given to you in reply to any of your questions, I chose to no longer acknowledge your posts as you clearly have an agenda.

Nah. I'm just not going to let logic be overuled by spectacle. I don't think this data breach is a major issue. As I already said, I'd be more concerned at where they get their occupier information from. But you glossed over that post because it didn't suit you to acknowledge it.

But fill your boots anyway. Ignore everyone who doesn't agree with you. You'll have an easier life.
    hawkelady wrote: »
    I've read all of this thread and you keep coming on here saying stuff that makes it look like you will defend IW no matter what !! There are other supporters of IW but you are fanatical about them , so I have to ask if you are auld big thick Phil hogan ?? How's the new job goin, have ya fecked that up yet !!

Actually I don't support the current Irish Water setup. I support metering and charges and a national utility. I think Irish Water has been set up incorrectly but not because they let slip ten pieces of info or have a company gym. I try and look at the bigger picture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Prime Time on RTE1 at 9:35 is about Irish water. Might be interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement