Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Alan Kelly, the T.D that has been smirking all over the T.V channels over the last 24 hours. Is he the same minister who "lost" the file of evidence of Wicklow County Council corruption ?

Are we expected to take any of these wasters seriously or are they so cocksure that they couldn't care less what the electorate think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

Landlord's after stopping by with the App. Form and had the cheek to ask me for my PPS Number. :O :O I should have asked him for his Irish Water Company Identification! :O Are other Landlords co-ercing Boardsies to fill out the Form? What are ye telling them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Todays Independent claims that 1 million households have not yet registered!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/irish-water-crisis-as-1m-fail-to-sign-up-for-charges-30680206.html

While we are a nation of last minuter's could this also be a sign that the system has failed before its begun and the people have won?

If those 1 million hold their nerve and don't send the packs back, engage or pay then that a lot of people to chase for money.

Even if after several years Irish Water decided to undertake debt recovery through the courts then even if they processed 100 people every day it would take them 27 years to get a debt judgement for everyone. At a nominal cost of say €500 per person that would be €500 million they would need in cash.

For those who know something about debt judgements you don't have to pay them until they take you to court AGAIN to get a forced payment order.

Giving most of the working population a bad credit rating would also wreck the economy as ordinary people are restricted from accessing credit and services. It would be like an arm cutting off a leg.

Have we won? The recent extension of deadline to November would seem to indicate we have! Shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Landlord's after stopping by with the App. Form and had the cheek to ask me for my PPS Number. :O :O I should have asked him for his Irish Water Company Identification! :O Are other Landlords co-ercing Boardsies to fill out the Form? What are ye telling them?

Ours came to " the occupier", in fairly sure we're not PTRB registered. My landlord has rang me a few times to ask me if I've done it yet, I've been fobbing it off saying ah yeah I'll do it on a few days. When it comes to it I'm not sure what's going to happen, we have a good relationship and cheap rent at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Did you give the PPS number?

• Advertisement

NO didn't give him any of my information! I needs to find a Free Legal Advice Discussion Board. No idea what the procedure is where Landlords ask for / demand Payment for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

You can always ask for your landlords PPS number to make sure he's registered with the PTRB.

You don't have to comply with their wish for your PPS no.

He/she isn't liable for any costs anyway.

Though if a lease is up for renewal, I wouldn't be surprised if IW compliance becomes a condition of tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

NO didn't give him any of my information! I needs to find a Free Legal Advice Discussion Board. No idea what the procedure is where Landlords ask for / demand Payment for it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Lots of landlords post there. There are already loads of similar questions and answers.

If all else fails they would be perfectly entitled to withhold your deposit to pay them anyway and it's probably grounds for eviction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

If all else fails they would be perfectly entitled to withhold your deposit to pay them anyway and it's probably grounds for eviction .

That's just manure tbh.

Not registering with Irish Water is no more an offence to be evicted than having no NCT on your car.

The landlord won't be held responsible for the water charges, no more than he'd be held responsible for his tenants lapsed NCT FFS.

(and I think you know that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

If all else fails they would be perfectly entitled to withhold your deposit to pay them anyway and it's probably grounds for eviction.

Did you just make that up or is it based on actual legislation?

Aw lads I don't want to cause a row now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Aw lads I don't want to cause a row now.

Doesnt take much in here :pac:

Who's for another pint?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Satriale wrote: »
    Doesnt take much in here :pac:

Who's for another pint?!!

I'll get it..

Don't worry, non-drinkers.. something for you too..

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I think most people are aware of it.

But if these are the Ts&Cs of all BGE workers then what can we do?
    The trades unions would have worked hard for those bonuses, so I'd imagine the political left support it.
    You can always ask for your landlords PPS number to make sure he's registered with the PTRB.

You don't have to comply with their wish for your PPS no

He/she isn't liable for any costs anyway.

Though if a lease is up for renewal, I wouldn't be surprised if IW compliance becomes a condition of tenancy.

You do if the LL wants to register your tenancy with the PTRB

• Registered Users Posts: 24,144 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lantus wrote: »
    Todays Independent claims that 1 million households have not yet registered!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/irish-water-crisis-as-1m-fail-to-sign-up-for-charges-30680206.html

While we are a nation of last minuter's could this also be a sign that the system has failed before its begun and the people have won?

If those 1 million hold their nerve and don't send the packs back, engage or pay then that a lot of people to chase for money.

Even if after several years Irish Water decided to undertake debt recovery through the courts then even if they processed 100 people every day it would take them 27 years to get a debt judgement for everyone. At a nominal cost of say €500 per person that would be €500 million they would need in cash.

For those who know something about debt judgements you don't have to pay them until they take you to court AGAIN to get a forced payment order.

Giving most of the working population a bad credit rating would also wreck the economy as ordinary people are restricted from accessing credit and services. It would be like an arm cutting off a leg.

Have we won? The recent extension of deadline to November would seem to indicate we have! Shock.

No not yet, but it's gathering momentum.

As each month passes nearer to a general election and opposition and disobedience entrenches, the more chance of the whole thing being overturned increases.

I'm still wagering that a government attempt to bail out Irish water, when they come up short by several hundred million euro in revenue, will be the rock Ends perishes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

A simple problem. I cannot read the meter (display partially covered)
    IW info states "it is not envisioned ..a need to read the meter"
    Two questions
    1. Anyone else have an unreadable meter?
    2. If I cannot read meter how to determine the veracity of the meters readings, when\if n billing comes in

That's just manure tbh.

Not registering with Irish Water is no more an offence to be evicted than having no NCT on your car.

The landlord won't be held responsible for the water charges, no more than he'd be held responsible for his tenants lapsed NCT FFS.

(and I think you know that)

I didn't say the not registering his post suggested when the LL is billed and asks him to pay up what grounds has he to refuse.

In this instance it's the very same as not paying an ESB bill the LL is entitled to follow the tenant.
    cajonlardo wrote: »
    Did you just make that up or is it based on actual legislation?

Only my opinion.

E.S.B. Electric Ireland don't follow the Landlords though, they follow the Tenants.

It will likely have to be paid at some point, but it needs to be teased-out a lot better while it's still at the very messy stages. I was just querying the co-ercing of Landlord aspect of it for water. As a couple of other Posters have mentionned, and from what I've gathered in the Media, IW have definitively stated that Landlords won't be held liable. So, to me that would suggest Landlords aren't entitled to go after the Tenant for it. It's still going to have to be paid for when the fat lady sings, but until then I'm curious about a Landlords say in it, and I was just asking for other Tenant's experiences.

Did ye get in more pints?! :pac: [_] [_]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I didn't say the not registering his post suggested when the LL is billed and asks him to pay up what grounds has he to refuse.

The landlord won't be billed though.

Once the landlord proves they are renting the property out, he is not liable for the bill.
    Irish Water has said landlords will not be held liable for arrears of water charges built up by their tenants.

The utility firm said landlords will be sent application packs in relation to their rental properties, which they must forward to the tenants.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/landlords-not-liable-for-tenants-water-bills-1.1944634

I presume it's set up this way to cover local authorities and their tenants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

From irish waters faq
    If you are a landlord:
    We are sending an application pack to every household in Ireland requesting that the occupier reply to us. If you are a landlord then you will receive a letter from us with a list of all the residential properties we believe you own. This is to allow you, as the owner, to respond to Irish Water using the application to notify us if the property is unoccupied.
    If your property is occupied, the occupier (tenant) will need to confirm their details using the application and can apply for water services allowances if they wish.

The landlord just has to confirm which properties are unoccupied, which would say which are occupied, at which point Irish water must have the power to check another way who lives there.

Is the tenant, being the person who has a contract with irish water responsible for water leaks? Or is that the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

The lack of debate on this thread,on the effect of water charges on old age pensioners, is shameful.

The worry,fear and stress,suffered by isolated,desperate and lonely citizens,is a disgrace.

Take your finger out of your ar*e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

gladrags wrote: »
    The lack of debate on this thread,on the effect of water charges on old age pensioners, is shameful.

The worry,fear and stress,suffered by isolated,desperate and lonely citizens,is a disgrace.

Pensioners have done pretty well out of successive governments. It is quite right that the debate is centered around those that seem to take the brunt of the hits since the crash. Which isn't pensioners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Debate my hole, I think you'll find that there is a majority of Irish citizens trying to stop these charges completely, never mind debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Tony EH wrote: »
    You need to read a little about India's caste system in order to understand my point.

There are "levels" of people in India, in their millions, who have never and will never even smell anything of their nation's wealth because of their birth.

Overall poverty in India may have been declining over the decades, by how far reaching that is remains debatable.
    The cate system has been outlawed and is becoming less prevalent with each passing generation. With greater prosperity people abandon ignorance.

It's not really debatable, their gini coeff is similar to Ireland's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Discrimination against lower castes has been made illegal, but the caste system is still very much in effect.

For the lowest caste, the "untouchables", all this has meant to them is that they are now called the "Dalit". Their situation remains the same.

They still, in their millions, have to live in their own piss and shit, however, and will never get a sniff of India's prosperity. A prosperity, by the way, which lies on the knife edge of the western "cheap labour" model to a large extent.

India is CERTAINLY not an economic model by which any nation should be looking to for an example of how to do things.

Unless, of course, ones political view finds sweatshops and people consigned to living in their own faeces acceptable. ;)

Anyway, this is getting waaay off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Did the Govt have to choose a CEO who looks uncannily like Ivor Callelly? :-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Take your head out of your ar*e.

They're the most cosseted sector in our society.

Time for Granny and Granddad to start contributing appropriately to the problem they helped create by electing successive FF govts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Take your head out of your ar*e.

They're the most cosseted sector in our society.

Time for Granny and Granddad to start contributing appropriately to the problem they helped create by electing successive FF govts.

This government is over half way though and it's still everyone else's fault ? They have also done a really good job of getting rid of stroke politics and jobs for the boys and gold plated pensions and alike. Well that's what they said they would do on the election campaign. Odd this government as done more brazen stuff than the best of the ff days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

This government is over half way though and it's still everyone else's fault ? They have also done a really good job of getting rid of stroke politics and jobs for the boys and gold plated pensions and alike. Well that's what they said they would do on the election campaign. Odd this government as done more brazen stuff than the best of the ff days.

They are addicted to stroke politics like its heroin.
    They honestly can't seem to help themselves.

Still though, they've brought the primary budget balance back into surplus & delivered the fastest growing economy in Europe with the fastest level of job creation.

Its a shame about the stroke/cute-hoorism though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement