Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

How much would your local plumber charge? I doubt it'd be very much different!

A lot LESS, you should move, or get a few quotes from "other local" plumbers

It would have to be found to be unconstitutional in the Supreme Court to be considered invalid. A guy on Facebook calling it unconstitutional doesn't change the law. The folks in the likes of Dublin says No have shown they don't understand the constitution a number of times. "Unconstitutional" is just a buzz word they use when they don't agree with something. If someone tells you something is unconstitutional ask them what article it breaches.

Do you use these pipes?

No.

Ok we'll cut them off so

Who will?

Under what law or legislation will permit this?

Post unreported

Post re reported

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

hju6 wrote: »
    Who will?

Under what law or legislation will permit this?

Why would they need legislation to disconnect pipes that aren't being used from the mains?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

It would have to be found to be unconstitutional in the Supreme Court to be considered invalid. A guy on Facebook calling it unconstitutional doesn't change the law. The folks in the likes of Dublin says No have shown they don't understand the constitution a number of times. "Unconstitutional" is just a buzz word they use when they don't agree with something. If someone tells you something is unconstitutional ask them what article it breaches.

Thanks for your reply's. Do you think it would be found unconstitutional if brought to the Supreme court?
    Am I right in thinking with all other utilities (electricity, gas) you sign contracts with a company and pay if you want it, if you don't you don't pay and you don't have it. You aren't forced to have it.
    Is it against the law to completely turn off a water supply to someone's house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

A lot LESS, you should move, or get a few quotes from "other local" plumbers

If you have a leak on your side if the meter, you should use a local plumber rather than IW's more expensive plumber.
    Problem solved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

My meter is easily accessed outside in the footpath

It's so easily accessed I fear it may get stolen :)

This is a real possibility.
    I mean, it's only water, not potentially fatal to tamper with like gas and electricity.

Or they might swap yours for someone else's miles away, the meter ID wouldn't match your form details and the bill might never be sent to you!

It would be awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

This is interesting.
    Meanwhile, the Dail Public Accounts Committee (PAC) is making plans to examine the utility, despite receiving legal advice that such a move would be outside its remit.
    http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/coalition-considering-a-flatrate-water-charge-for-up-to-two-years-30689189.html#comments

I they're going to go ahead and investigate it anyway :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

How much would your local plumber charge? I doubt it'd be very much different!

The plumbers in your area must be all driving around in mercs if that is the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Amazing to see that some people think that nearly 200 quid is ok for a callout.

Incredible.

No wonder people are ripped off in this country.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Phoebas wrote: »
    If you have a leak on your side if the meter, you should use a local plumber rather than IW's more expensive plumber.
    Problem solved.

Would not surprise me to see that only a Irish Water Plumber is authorised to do such work ,Hard to see them leaving such an opening to lose money to an outside source .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Would not surprise me to see that only a Irish Water Plumber is authorised to do such work ,Hard to see them leaving such an opening to lose money to an outside source .

IW aren't interested in fixing your leaks. They have put in place the "first fix" solution so if there is an issue under your driveway, then they'll fix it for free.

They are pricing themselves out of the market with that price so they can concentrate on the more urgent (and more easily accessible) stuff in the wider system. A leak on your own property is your own responsibility. It doesn't happen very often as far as I can tell. I mean, when was the last time you heard of someone with a leak outside of their house? Properly installed pipes shouldn't be affected by frost for instance and most of the frozen pipes issues in the bad winters we had in recent years were in the house (inside the back wall in my own case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Anatom wrote: »
    IW aren't interested in fixing your leaks. They have put in place the "first fix" solution so if there is an issue under your driveway, then they'll fix it for free.

They are pricing themselves out of the market with that price so they can concentrate on the more urgent (and more easily accessible) stuff in the wider system. A leak on your own property is your own responsibility. It doesn't happen very often as far as I can tell. I mean, when was the last time you heard of someone with a leak outside of their house? Properly installed pipes shouldn't be affected by frost for instance and most of the frozen pipes issues in the bad winters we had in recent years were in the house (inside the back wall in my own case).

If that was the case, then they shouldnt have quoted a price at all, just be honest and say they werent in that market.
    All that ridiculous callout charge does is call into question every other price they have and make them look like robbing baxtards.

With all the money they p1ssed away they badly need to hire better marketing consultants.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Anatom wrote: »

Maybe it has been covered but what happens if the first fix doesn't actually fix the problem?

Is it a case of 'too bad, that's your problem' or is it their responsibility to ensure all leaks are dealt with first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Caliden wrote: »
    Maybe it has been covered but what happens if the first fix doesn't actually fix the problem?

Is it a case of 'too bad, that's your problem' or is it their responsibility to ensure all leaks are dealt with first?

Well, if the leak isn't detected and fixed between the road and your front door (and that's all they'll cover), you can always complain to the CER / Ombudsman. If they fix it, its seen to be fixed, but there's a subsequent leak, then yes, that's your problem. It should work the first time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

This is the kind of ****e we are paying for:

Caliden wrote: »

There are no details of any part of the first fix system at the moment.

The finer details and conditions have not been published yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

EazyD wrote: »

Does it become clear after a minute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

papu wrote: »

Who is paying for the minute?

Gradually gets clearer but still plenty of sediment floating. Not something I'd be quick to drink anyway.

• Advertisement

Yes, you'll pay the same price for that once it's deemed drinkable as someone with water with less bits in it.

Their water wouldn't cause any problems with their appliances either, but the price of it will be the same as yours.

But you're probably experiencing the product damaging your kettles, washing machines, dishwashers, showers, immersion, heating etc.

And regularly footing the bill for repairs or replacement.

And the independent regulator won't want to know about it.

The only damage IW is liable for is domestic flooding if it could ever be proved that their work caused your property to be flooded.

Gradually gets clearer but still plenty of sediment floating. Not something I'd be quick to drink anyway.

The cloudiness or milkyness is caused by trapped air.
    Cold water holds more air than warm water.As the water goes through the cold pipes it is cooled and then comes out to room temp. Some of the air that is present is no longer soluble, and comes out of solution.

Also if the water is being held under pressure this can also Increase the solubility of air. Once the water comes out of your tap, the water is no longer under pressure and the air comes out of solution as bubbles . The best thing to do is let it sit in an open container until the bubbles naturally disappear.

Calcium can also cause cloudiness , When a glassful of the cloudy water sits for about thirty minutes, a white or grayish substance settles out to the bottom of the glass this is the calcium .

Perfectly safe and good for you.

The cloudiness or milkyness is caused by trapped air.
    Cold water holds more air than warm water.As the water goes through the cold pipes it is cooled and then comes out to room temp. Some of the air that is present is no longer soluble, and comes out of solution.

Also if the water is being held under pressure this can also Increase the solubility of air. Once the water comes out of your tap, the water is no longer under pressure and the air comes out of solution as bubbles . The best thing to do is let it sit in an open container until the bubbles naturally disappear.

Calcium can also cause cloudiness , When a glassful of the cloudy water sits for about thirty minutes, a white or grayish substance settles out to the bottom of the glass this is the calcium .

There is still sediment in the water when left to sit. You can't honestly say it's acceptable standard of drinking water when it comes out whiter than milk.

There is still sediment in the water when left to sit. You can't honestly say it's acceptable standard of drinking water when it comes out whiter than milk.

If its calcium there's nothing wrong with it.

I've already explained the milkiness , cold pipes and water pressure?

Yes there are more minerals present than soft water.

But it causes a build up on domestic appliances leading to less efficiency as heating elements it comes in contact with become insulated by the coating or completely blocked, such as shower heating canisters.

It's commonly referred to as limescale.

And water with limescale will cost the same as softer water.

If its calcium there's nothing wrong with it.

That's not the point though, I'm paying for standard clean drinking water, not water riddled with particulates.

That's not the point though, I'm paying for standard clean drinking water, not water riddled with particulates.

If you thought you were getting pure Di-ionized water through the tap you're sorely mistaken.

Take a look at the bottled water in the supermarkets , all water contains minerals and trace elements , Drinking pure H2O would lead to Death.

If you thought you were getting pure Di-ionized water through the tap you're sorely mistaken.

Take a look at the bottled water in the supermarkets , all water contains minerals and trace elements , Drinking pure H2O would lead to Death.

I'm not thick, I realise any water you buy/consume has trace elements. That doesn't explain why there is excess amounts of visible particulates floating in the glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Get your water tested and see if it complies with EU drinking water regulations.
    If it does, you've nothing to be complaining about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I'm not thick, I realise any water you buy/consume has trace elements. That doesn't explain why there is excess amounts of visible particulates floating in the glass.

Did the local authority supplying you test the reservoir?

Has there been a boil notice of any kind?

I ask because that is a legal get out of paying IW.
    Boil notices gives excemption I believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement