Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

EazyD wrote: »
    Why would you make such an assumption? Not exactly justified is it?

He said his water was free - so I assume he haven't been paying taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

You said your water was free - so I assume you haven't been paying taxes.

Where did I say my water was free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

If you go to the Facebook Revolution Ireland page you can see the post that Erin Brockovich submitted about Irish Water.
    There is lots of information on the site about Irish Water and what you should do and why you shouldn't pay for your water.

It is funny that the Dail isn't back in session until November 4 at 2PM as the crooks made sure that they wouldn't be there to face the music until well after the protest march is over.

It wouldn't surprise me if Leinster House becomes stormed by the public in the near future.

Irish Water is a joke and if you give in to them and give them your details the price of water will double after 2016.

They are using scare tactics and threats like bullies to try to enforce your payments but don't give in to them as it is our Country and your water.
    Water has never been free and it is the Politician's fault that the infrastructure hasn't been fixed with tax payer's money over the last fifteen years or so.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If it's such an issue for you, why didn't you do something about it before now?

Coming back into the thread, some of us did, and have been paying extra as a result for some considerable time, and now, it's going to cost even more, as regenerating a water softener uses water that's not recoverable, or reusable for other purposes.

In our case, if we wanted hot water, we had no choice, the water was so hard, it would choke up a heat exchanger in 6 months, and stripping the system to clean it was not a simple or cheap exercise. Then there's the damage to taps, and showers, and other items from the limescale, all of which has to be dealt with somehow.

IR£250 to repair the heat exchanger after 12 months in a new house (over 20 years ago) was not acceptable, so we had to find an alternative, which I did, the water softener came later and made the long term difference.

In passing, hard water also significantly increases the usage of things like detergent, and other cleaning products, some of which are expensive, so the reality is that hard water IS an issue.

There are EU limits on hardness, and I know from experience that a good number of years ago, Meath managed to get a derogation from complying with the standard. I'm not sure if they are still outside the limits, there have been changes since those times, which may have brought them into compliance, but as we know, water projects are not high on the agenda of councillors, especially when they want/need votes to get re-elected, which is one of the many reasons for taking water out of political influence and control.

Just to clarify, while I have no issues with paying a reasonable rate for acceptable quality water, doing so to IW is NOT the right way, for all the reasons that have been outlined previously.

The way IW has been created, set up, structured and managed is so wrong in so many ways, I doubt that it can be changed acceptably, and the longer the people at the top fiddle, fumble and tinker around the edges, the more apparent that failure is becoming, and yes, it could be the straw that breaks the coalition, and the government, and if it does, that opens up a whole new can of worms, who to put in to replace the present crowd, who are looking increasingly unelectable unless they make massive changes at the very top of both their own organisation, and at the top of the services that are supposedly providing service to the people.

The political alternatives are no more palatable, as none of them seem to be willing to make a real and binding commitment to the fundamental changes that are needed to make politics and state services accountable to the people that elect them and pay for their services.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Hard water areas are not exempt from paying.... I don't think that's the case in other countries either.

Calgon ftw.

Water softener and filtration system ftw, we have very hard water in our area and it destroyed all our appliance for years. Put in a proper system and it's totally solved and has a special drinking water filter also.

• Advertisement

I'd be interested in knowing why you're so protective of Irish Water and so dismissive of the public experiencing problems with the product?

Just curious as to why it's suddenly such a big issue. Apparently you think it justifies you not paying your water charge - and yet you've never actually done anything about it before now.

Sounds like just another excuse that people make up to try to justify not paying their taxes.

Why should anybody have to pay for a water softener and filtration system in the first place?

Now another expense unless the whole Country stops this money making scam and refuses to pay and marches frequently against Irish Water and the charges.

Why pay twice?
    Common sense should prevail and stand up to them and say NO.
    Irish Water, the charges and the whole Dail Cabinet need to go in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Meanwhile Nestlé want to Privatise water across the world...

http://youtu.be/SEFL8ElXHaU

and jp morgans are trying to beat them to it.

... but no, it couldnt be happening here could it? its not like big banks could influence an IMF decision to make our government do this... could they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I don't know if it was ever pursued TBH.

No, but they'll be billing people for it.
    And it's damaging appliances.

As it always has. If you don't like the product then don't use it. It's no longer expensive to install and maintain water softeners in homes to prevent any damage and well worth it in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Sounds like just another excuse that people make up to try to justify not paying their taxes.

Its not a tax, it's a service. One that were already paying through vat, motor tax and income tax.

Would you pay for any other services you weren't happy with?

The man who set this whole fiasco up certainly wouldn't, remember?
    Phil Hogan refuses to pay €4k service charges on his Portugal holiday penthouse'Would you pay a charge if you were unhappy with service?' asks Minister

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/phil-hogan-refuses-to-pay-4k-service-charges-on-his-portugal-holiday-penthouse-26838412.html

• Advertisement

FREETV wrote: »
    Why should anybody have to pay for a water softener and filtration system in the first place?

Now another expense unless the whole Country stops this money making scam and refuses to pay and marches frequently against Irish Water and the charges.

Why pay twice?
    Common sense should prevail and stand up to them and say NO.

Very true, and it's happening, increasingly so.
    Irish Water, the charges and the whole Dail Cabinet need to go in November.

Nice theory, and if it happens, a lot of people will be very happy in the short term, but the bigger issue will then be, what replaces them.

A replacement for IW, properly structured, managed, staffed and resourced would be good, is essential, and has to happen to secure the long term management of water and waste water, and like it or not, that IS going to have to be paid for one way or another, if for no other reason than fairness, charges should be a part of that scenario, as should meters. It works in a most other "civilised" countries, it can work here, if it's properly set up and managed.

A replacement for FG is more problematic, as there's no real candidate(s) that are visible at present, short of a fundamental change in the underlying system that controls them, and a fundamental change in the state sector to make it accountable and responsible for its successes and failures, which is glaringly absent at the moment, and the reason for the mess with IW.

Because they live in hard water areas.

It's not a new expense. It's always been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Hard water areas are not exempt from paying.... I don't think that's the case in other countries either.

Calgon ftw.

Calgon is quite costly. Have often wondered why it is never mentioned in consumer
    reports. Hard water destroyed a washing machine I once had. The plumber took out the drum - it looked just like the one in the Calgon ads, covered in calcium. Have
    spent a fortune on Calgon tablets and powder since I had to get a new machine. :(

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Calgon is quite costly. Have often wondered why it is never mentioned in consumer
    reports. Hard water destroyed a washing machine I once had. The plumber took out the drum - it looked just like the one in the Calgon ads, covered in calcium. Have
    spent a fortune on Calgon tablets and powder since I had to get a new machine. :(

Water softener systems can be bought and installed for as little as €250. Cost about €100 a year for servicing and salt. Much cheaper than calgon and plumbers.

Here is another reason why you should put your foot down and not pay for water charges and call for the scrapping of Irish water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceTDFobZmP4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mhlr2i5SHI

The avoidance of answering questions on Irish Water and ignoring the People's wishes.

I already know too much about hard water.
    I have lived with the flow of it all of my life.

It is very easy to read from a script pre prepared and written by a Civil Servant Enda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭Daith

Water softener systems can be bought and installed for as little as €250. Cost about €100 a year for servicing and salt. Much cheaper than calgon and plumbers.

Aren't we paying Irish Water to improve our water supply? Isn't that the whole point?

Daith wrote: »
    Aren't we paying Irish Water to improve our water supply? Isn't that the whole point?

Hard water is still drinkable, it just contains extra minerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Thank you! :)

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Calgon is quite costly.

Washing machines last longer with Calgon.

Shur half the keyboard warriors on here say they're not going to pay IW anything until all the problems are fixed first.

• Advertisement

Fine Gael and Labour are finished in this Country and I hope Fianna Fail soon too.
    Between the three of them if any get in power in the next General Election they will surely Privatise Irish Water and then you will all be debt slaves paying three times the amount in the future for water and the privilege of a human right.

Then there will be more austerity again as the economy fails in the near future.
    Don't give in to Irish Water, the Tyrants in the Dail and extortion.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/video-watch-anti-austerity-alliance-4480770

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtSbPEL4vCo

Because we have hard water, its not the water suppliers job to soften the water as its perfectly safe to drink and use as it is.

As above, there isn't really anything they can do a lot of water in Ireland is naturally hard.

Fine Gael and Labour are finished in this Country and I hope Fianna Fail soon too.
    Between the three of them if any get in power in the next General Election they will surely Privatise Irish Water and then you will all be debt slaves paying three times the amount in the future for water and the privilege of a human right.

Then there will be more austerity again as the economy fails in the near future.
    Don't give in to Irish Water, the Tyrants in the Dail and extortion.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/video-watch-anti-austerity-alliance-4480770

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtSbPEL4vCo

So, you DO accept that Irish Water are here to stay, do you?

Because we have hard water, its not the water suppliers job to soften the water as its perfectly safe to drink and use as it is.

As above, there isn't really anything they can do a lot of water in Ireland is naturally hard.
    The pipes and appliances would last longer if they did soften the water.

And now, add the not insignificant cost of the water to regenerate it, which will have to come out of the miserly allowance, or be paid for at an additional cost. Softening at source would be more appropriate, and less expensive than having to be done at point of use.

Raises the whole issue of potable water compared to non potable water. Are architects designing houses to use multiple water sources yet? Probably not, given how these things are done, it would be more appropriate to be using water from before softeners, and maybe even rain water for things like flushing toilets, but as for when that will happen, that's another story.

So, you DO accept that Irish Water are here to stay, do you?

It probably is here to stay but I hope not and that People Power and common sense will prevail.
    The prices will keep increasing annually after 2016 if it is allowed to remain.

The prices will keep increasing annually after 2016 if it is allowed to remain.

It's known as inflation.

It's known as inflation.
    Extortion more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Actually it's called
    Price gouging

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Actually it's called
    Price gouging
    True. The gouging b******s milking us dry. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement