Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Sooner or later I can see it being taken from the wages of people refusing to pay.

If its a semi state how could they do that?

Also if they think the protests are bad now, imagine what would happen if they tried that.

These lads want to be re elected so thatd be a non runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i sent the entire contents back, with no details included and received a letter, obviously automatic crap, back thanking me for sending back my application form and that it is now being processed:confused:

until certain things are repaired by someone responsible, council at the moment but they say they have no money, i completely refuse to send in my details.

a load of nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Sooner or later I can see it being taken from the wages of people refusing to pay.

You'd love that.

How they could ever do that would take some explaining though.... Care to elaborate :confused:

You'd love that.

How they could ever do that would take some explaining though.... Care to elaborate :confused:

They are doing it for property tax so why not water charges.

No I wouldn't love it btw, I'd prefer not to be paying water charges at all but I'm afraid it's going to happen and people are only creating hassle from themselves trying to avoid paying them and will end up paying more than if they did things by the book.

Also in the extremely unlikely event they do get cancelled I'm hoping there is uproar from people who are paying water charges for years in certain parts of the country and those who have to fund their own water supply by sinking a well and powering a pump. All these should be getting a grant from the government to make this fair with all the people around the country not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

That is probably exactly why they want you to fill in your PPSN in the first place so nobody should give it to them!

They could pass it on to Revenue and The Social Welfare, Health Boards etc.

• Advertisement

I can see crowds of people storming in to the Dail to psychically oust them out soon in the near future and then Enda and his complicit fools while really see the light when it is too late and the shi* hits the fan. :D :pac::pac::pac::pac:

People will not stay peaceful forever unless they abolish water charges and close down Irish Water. :eek:

The momentum and resistance is really building up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

No I wouldn't love it btw, I'd prefer not to be paying water charges at all but I'm afraid it's going to happen and people are only creating hassle from themselves trying to avoid paying them and will end up paying more than if they did things by the book.

Also in the extremely unlikely event they do get cancelled I'm hoping there is uproar from people who are paying water charges for years in certain parts of the country and those who have to fund their own water supply by sinking a well and powering a pump. All these should be getting a grant from the government to make this fair with all the people around the country not paying.

For the Government to do this they would have to admit that it is a Tax and get the revenue involved...
    They are calling it a utility and I have never heard of electric or gas bills been taking for wages? Have you.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    For the Government to do this they would have to admit that it is a Tax and get the revenue involved...
    They are calling it a utility and I have never heard of electric or gas bills been taking for wages? Have you.
    No and they shouldn't require a person's PPSN details either unless they have something sly up their sleeves.

Because one is called a tax, and the other a charge. Revenue can't collect or enforce a utility bill.

So you'll be at the protests come the weekend I assume?

What next, a grant for people who live far away from the shops to put fuel in their cars?

I don't hear much uproar from Dublin homeowners paying substantially higher lpt, despite the vast majority of it not being spent in their area.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Doesn't solve the problems, the object of the exercise is to widen the tax base, the way things developed after FF bought the 77 election with unsustainable bribes is no longer valid, and has to be changed to make the whole system viable.

Taking water charges out of wages doesn't take from people out of work, or second homes, or holiday rentals, all of which use water to a greater or lesser extent, and unless metering comes in, it doesn't make any recognition of the usage that each location records.

I have a large fish pond, if I choose to refill it from mains water, it's totally appropriate and right that I should be paying more for that service than another family that doesn't have a pond, (or swimming pool, same concept applies), or if I choose to wash my car every week using a hose, then it's appropriate that I pay for that usage.

Also doesn't solve the problem that IW as presently structured and mismanaged is not viable, and (more importantly) in the present form, it is NOT acceptable to the people that it is supposed to be serving, for all the reasons that have been rehearsed regularly through the thread.

If IW wasn't headed by an expensive failure from another semi state, wasn't managed by semi state transfers, and didn't have an inappropriate bonus and perks package, that would help.

A great deal more transparency in the structure, management, operation and intentions of IW for the future would also help considerably.

Water charges are going to be a fact of life for the future, IW may not be the eventual body that controls and collects those charges, (hopefully) and if the result is that the unacceptable level of leaks and loss is resolved, ( and that task alone will achieve a significant saving in terms of usage and cost of treatment) and the future of water is properly managed, maybe, just maybe, there will be some recognition of the validity of treating water in the same way that just about every other country in the EU does.

If water charges were so wrong, or so unfair, do you really think that the rest of Europe would be accepting them without question? I don't see marches and protests in the media across Europe, so maybe the protests here are being orchestrated by interests that are not really water related in the first place.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement

Jaysus, we already pay for water.
    We will not pay again and keep paying more year after year for water in the future.
    We will be shackled and become debt slaves for generations to come just to justify paying off bondholders, failed banks, Elites through no fault of our own and huge bonuses and massive car perks for a quango that is Irish Water.

We must stop both water charges and Irish Water at all costs now or it will be too late!

Irish Water and the Coalition Government, the party is over so get the f**k out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RXPRjpCLEY

FREETV wrote: »

We must stop both water charges and Irish Water at all costs now or it will be too late!

What about the people who have had no choice but to pay water charges for years or to fund their own water supply.

Don't give me the bull s*it line "it's because they live in the country". Because it's a nonsense excuse as the fact a lot of people have being paying for years hurts their campaign.

Either everyone should pay a water charge or nobody should it's as simple as that.

People who have been paying for years are getting mighty sick listening to the current people and their uproar I have heard a number of different people say this over the last while.

But like everything else in this country the people in the towns and cities get everything and those in the country are forgotten about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

What about the people who have had no choice but to pay water charges for years or to fund their own water supply.

Don't give me the bull s*it line "it's because they live in the country". Because it's a nonsense excuse as the fact a lot of people have being paying for years hurts their campaign.

Either everyone should pay a water charge or nobody should it's as simple as that.

I supply, treat, pump my own water and do the same for waste. I have no problem with my taxes being used to do the same for others in urban areas, and i thank those people for supplying us with a road in the @rsehole of nowhere.

Jaysus, we already pay for water.
    We will not pay again and keep paying more year after year for water in the future.
    We will be shackled and become debt slaves for generations to come just to justify paying off bondholders, failed banks, Elites through no fault of our own and huge bonuses and massive car perks for a quango that is Irish Water.

Stop IW, yes, for all the reasons that have been well outlined already.

Other than that, please change the record, we PAID for water out of general taxation, in simplest terms, the tax reduction in the budget changed by about the same as the water charge, so most taxpayers are now NOT paying twice for their water if the present plan goes ahead.

The decision has been made that water, as a measurable and defined resource, will in most cases be paid for based on metered usage. Exactly the same as electricity, gas, petrol, you pay for what you use. why do you have so much trouble with the concept that water has to be managed in the same way, if you don't want to pay for it, fine, buy bottled water, or fill buckets with rain water, but don't expect to get water delivered by pipe to your house for nothing, it never was free, and going forward, you will probably pay according to what you use.

If water charges are so unethical or unacceptable, why are we not seeing massive protests across the rest of Europe in respect to water? Probably because most thinking people recognise that the service they get for the price they pay is reasonable.

Whatever organisation eventually runs water in Ireland has a massive mountain to climb, in terms of resolving the historic issues of unacceptable leaks on an underfunded and neglected network. and another mountain to climb in terms of ensuring that the quality of the delivered water is acceptable, from both a health and an appearance aspect.

People who have been paying for years are getting mighty sick listening to the current people and their uproar I have heard a number of different people say this over the last while.

But like everything else in this country the people in the towns and cities get everything and those in the country are forgotten about.

Most of the people in Meath have been paying extra again for mains water that is of an apalling quality unfit for drinking for twenty five years.
    They have been forced to go out and pay for bottled water for drinking and cooking.
    The smell and the taste of it is unreal.
    The Council just fobs the people off and make excuses and lie just like Enda and his cohorts have.

I hate repating myself and I have already proven it on two water related threads so enough is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,221 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This is turning into a waaaay bigger issue than the government had anticipated, I reckon It could sink FG in the election if it doesn't go away between now and then. Labour were already fecked.

I still have no problem paying for water. It's a service that costs money to provide just like electricity, gas, internet etc. Yeah access to it is a human right and we need it to survive but I don't see why that's a reason to get it for free? We need food to survive and that's not free. And we aren't paying twice and anyone who still thinks we are is a moron, it was payed for through general taxation but that's not the case anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What a load.

The people in the towns and cities where the PAYE jobs are and where the high property taxes are supplement rural living and the crappy one off housing model blights the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MadYaker wrote: »
    This is turning into a waaaay bigger issue than the government had anticipated, I reckon It could sink FG in the election if it doesn't go away between now and then. Labour were already fecked.

I still have no problem paying for water. It's a service that costs money to provide just like electricity, gas, internet etc. Yeah access to it is a human right and we need it to survive but I don't see why that's a reason to get it for free? We need food to survive and that's not free. And we aren't paying twice and anyone who still thinks we are is a moron, it was payed for through general taxation but that's not the case anymore.

Wasn't the LPT brought in to "pay for services"? Isn't the provision of clean,safe water a service? Using that logic we are already paying for water through existing taxes and LPT.
    I wonder how many bondholders are skilled at laying pipes & fixing leaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

throw more money at a fat cat quango someday they'll eventually get it right not

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/irish-water-set-to-hire-private-contractors-to-restrict-water-supply-647682.html

Irish Water could be forced to hire private contractors to restrict supply for households which refuse to pay charges.

The company is being forced to draw up an easy-pay plan to try and ease public anger over the new charge.

There have been angry scenes as contractors try and install water meters across the country and demonstrations against water charges, with another national protest planned for next weekend.

The Sunday Independent has reported that the Government has now instructed Irish Water to draw up an easy-pay plan as an alternative to quarterly bills, as the Coalition tries to calm public anger.

Meanwhile, The Sunday Business Post reports that council staff will refuse to install water restrictors at homes which do not pay, meaning the utility company will be forced to bring in outside contractors.

Irish Water has said supply for homes which do not pay will be reduced to a trickle, to allow for drinking water, but which will not be strong enough to run showers or washing machines.

Shin

The scumbags, we already pay and we will not pay again.
    The thick Facist Nazi's will soon eat their words.
    Roll on the Revolution in Ireland!

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Wasn't the LPT brought in to "pay for services"? Isn't the provision of clean,safe water a service? Using that logic we are already paying for water through existing taxes and LPT.

Except your logic is flawed. The LPT was brought in to pay for services provided by the county/city councils. Water isn't provided by them anymore, it's provided by a semi state company called Irish Water.

They are holding the Nation to ransom!
    Threats and more threats to the people from the criminal gangsters in Dail Eireann.

Are you all going to allow them to blackmail you in to submission?
    They know that their days are numbered, don't give in to their evil plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

MadYaker wrote: »
    Except your logic is flawed. The LPT was brought in to pay for services provided by the county/city councils. Water isn't provided by them anymore, it's provided by a semi state company called Irish Water.

My logic means why set up IW at all? Surely the LPT would more than cover the cost of upgrading & maintaining the water network in this country along with roads,parks etc.
    Instead,the government pushed ahead with setting up a bloated,overstaffed quango who are giving the work of repairing & maintaining the water network to said Councils.

So, perhaps we should turn off the street lights, the traffic lights, get rid of the rubbish collection bins, close the local libraries, all of which are local provisions. The Fire service is another local service, perhaps we don't need that.

I'd happily see the planning departments closed, they've proved their inability to plan properly over the last 20 years, you only have to look around you to see that, and they don't enforce building regulations, so their function is questionable as presently structured.

I'm also not saying that any of these services are being provided economically. that's for another thread.

There's a whole big other subject that needs to be opened up about the whole aspect of "bondholders", and the related "financial services" industry, as they are being paid obscene sums in terms of salary and "bonuses" that are out of all proportion to the real value of an industry that produces nothing of value for the wider population. Moving virtual money around electronically, to then achieve rewards as a result of timings and fractional interest rate increases does nothing to improve the quality of life for the vast majority of people, and in reality, it probably makes things worse, as they end up paying more in interest as a result of the activities of these organisations.

I wonder will we see an attempt by some Guy Fawkes types with respect of Irish Water and Dail Eireann, Leinster House in the near future when the revolt boils over?

If they don't listen to the people's wishes it may very well happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2x1RKAVGw8

The scumbags, we already pay and we will not pay again.
    The thick Facist Nazi's will soon eat their words.
    Roll on the Revolution in Ireland!

Do you actually read anything posted on boards.ie or do you just post these ill informed rants? It's been pointed out 20 times that we aren't paying twice.

Then again I guess there isn't much point trying to have a reasoned debate with somebody who genuinely believes our government are Nazis hahaha.

Edit: I love that Ac/DC tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They're going to be capped until 2016 apparently.

Which most people will ignore anyway, and without revenues being generated, a private company should fall.

But it's not a private company in the way you mean and you know it. It's exactly the same as irish rail for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

I wonder will we see an attempt by some Guy Fawkes types with respect of Irish Water and Dail Eireann, Leinster House in the near future when the revolt boils over?

If they don't listen to the people's wishes it may very well happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2x1RKAVGw8

What revolt?

But it's not a private company in the way you mean and you know it. It's exactly the same as irish rail for instance.

It is still operating as a for profit company is it not?

No Revenue stream will mean it will fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My logic means why set up IW at all? Surely the LPT would more than cover the cost of upgrading & maintaining the water network in this country along with roads,parks etc.
    Instead,the government pushed ahead with setting up a bloated,overstaffed quango who are giving the work of repairing & maintaining the water network to said Councils.

Flat rates and using tax money to for things like utilities does nothing to cut unessecary usage, if anything it encourages people who don't use enough to equal what they pay in their taxes or flat rate to use more to get their moneys worth.
    So the cost to provide the water goes up and up.

Paying for what you use is the fairest system for everyone and means some guy in a one bed apartment isn't subsidising these fabled rich that keep getting richer in their mansions that use loads of water.

Would a flat rate of e10,000 a year be acceptable for electricity it that's what average was needed or would you rather pay for your own?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement