Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

If a person decides to opt out of Irish water as a customer because they say they have their own well or alternative method of water provision. Is there some sort of proof needed or would the person just be marked off as a customer? If no proof is needed what is stopping continued use of the water supply? Particularly if unmetered? And if that person is not a customer and they need to access the person's property to put a meter in. Surely you could refuse them access or have it removed if it was already put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

If a person decides to opt out of Irish water as a customer because they say they have their own well or alternative method of water provision. Is there some sort of proof needed or would the person just be marked off as a customer? If no proof is needed what is stopping continued use of the water supply? Particularly if unmetered? And if that person is not a customer and they need to access the person's property to put a meter in. Surely you could refuse them access or have it removed if it was already put in.

What's the point in paying the ESB if you can steal electricity from your neighbours line?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

Are you all still going on about these water charges!! Listen, the Irish roll over and take it up the 4rse all the time and this is no different. Yes you will all blow abit of smoke here and there but the fact is, come a few years you all will be paying for water to a private company. Its that simple. Its how everything ends up in this country. Fs we let the government give away our gas and oil like it was nothing lol. You people are deluded if you all think your going to win this fight lol. I don't agree with the WC but they are here and we have to pay!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

someone somewhere is saying the very same thing about fianna fail i'm sure

but FF arent a very good pressure group. their agenda is politically motivated. the greens on the other hand, have little to no political motivation beyond pressuring on points of the environment.

they couldnt possibly be deluded to think they could gain ground again.

they still wouldnt be getting my vote either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

duckcfc wrote: »
    Are you all still going on about these water charges!! Listen, the Irish roll over and take it up the 4rse all the time and this is no different. Yes you will all blow abit of smoke here and there but the fact is, come a few years you all will be paying for water to a private company. Its that simple. Its how everything ends up in this country. Fs we let the government give away our gas and oil like it was nothing lol. You people are deluded if you all think your going to win this fight lol. I don't agree with the WC but they are here and we have to pay!!!

Those with testicular fortitude must carry on the fight ! When the last pantywaist is paying his water charges then we can emigrate to some place which has more respect for itself.

• Advertisement

Those with testicular fortitude must carry on the fight ! When the last pantywaist is paying his water charges then we can emigrate to some place which has more respect for itself.

You will all pay come 2016!! Fact!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

shinzon wrote: »
    well well well look what Irish water Workers from the uk didn't have to give over to IW and who are still getting benefits

Courtesy of Sligo News

Irish Water Fraud

Sligo News has received reports that some Irish Water employees who reside outside the jurisdiction of the Republic of Ireland are receiving Unemployment Benefits in their resident country while under the employ of Irish Water which is a private subsidiary of a semi state company, Bord Gais.

Shin

I went to find the homepage of what I thought would be a newspaper called Sligo News. No luck, but I did find a Facebook page called Sligo News, Irish Water Fraud. Hardly likely to be a source of unbiased news. Still there is a serious story here to be investigated if some of our intrepid journalists of the mainstream press would like to get their teeth into it. The first avenue of inquiry would be who runs Sligo News, Irish Water Fraud and from whom they "received reports".

Shin, do you know who is behind this operation?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sligo-News/606178199460926?sk=info&ref=page_internal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

shinzon wrote: »
    well well well look what Irish water Workers from the uk didn't have to give over to IW and who are still getting benefits
    What a bogus article and a bogus argument.

No Irish employer demands an N.I. number from their employees. And some IW employees may be claiming benefits in the UK? So what - if that's supposed to be an argument against IW, it's the weakest one yet.

Edit: It's not even a newspaper - go figure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

duckcfc wrote: »
    You will all pay come 2016!! Fact!!!

Agh get lost. The tipping point has been reached. More fcuking public transport costs increases today. The working man is get savaged from all angles. Enough is enough so roll on Nov 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

More fcuking public transport costs increases today.

Absolutely.

All taxpayers should pay much more subvention to CIE/Veolia.

• Advertisement

Agh get lost. The tipping point has been reached. More fcuking public transport costs increases today. The working man is get savaged from all angles. Enough is enough so roll on Nov 1st.

Here is a song for the working man and woman. The meter installers and Gardai who have had to put up with the freeloaders and Freemen giving them abuse and sticking cameras in their faces.

Phoebas wrote: »
    What a bogus article and a bogus argument.

No Irish employer demands an N.I. number from their employees. And some IW employees may be claiming benefits in the UK? So what - if that's supposed to be an argument against IW, it's the weakest one yet.

Edit: It's not even a newspaper - go figure!

There are some issues in this argument that can be argued wither way. But pages like that are just blatantly lying. There are so many blatant lies in the article that I don't see how it's claims can be considered genuine anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

There are some issues in this argument that can be argued wither way. But pages like that are just blatantly lying. There are so many blatant lies in the article that I don't see how it's claims can be considered genuine anyway.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1024/654562-water-charges/

Speaking to RTÉ News Mr Quinn said: "It turns out that Irish Water didn't have the right to look for PPS numbers and they had to introduce an amendment into the social welfare bill last month, and they did it almost under subterfuge."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Have removed that Sligo news report in all honesty I thought it was a paper to, should have clicked the about button emanating from an industrial estate in Sligo apparently, not saying the chap isn't right or wrong but not knowing his motives I decided to remove it.

Shin

Speaking to RTÉ News Mr Quinn said: "It turns out that Irish Water didn't have the right to look for PPS numbers and they had to introduce an amendment into the social welfare bill last month, and they did it almost under subterfuge."

If he thinks someone did something illegal he should seek legal redress. I will accept the result of the democratic process, whether his bill is accepted or defeated. I hope everyone on the thread will do the same if it is defeated, and we won't have to go off on tangents every couple of days about PPS numbers.

Speaking to RTÉ News Mr Quinn said: "It turns out that Irish Water didn't have the right to look for PPS numbers and they had to introduce an amendment into the social welfare bill last month, and they did it almost under subterfuge."

Got a link to that amendment?

Got a link to that amendment?

It's not included in the article.

It's not included in the article.

No it's not, which is unfortunate because it doesn't appear to be on Irish Statute Book under any of the social welfare amendments.

No it's not, which is unfortunate because it doesn't appear to be on Irish Statute Book under any of the social welfare amendments.

Mr Quinn will introduce his Bill in the Seanad when it returns on November 4th.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/oireachtas/feargal-quinn-prepares-bill-to-halt-irish-water-pps-demands-1.1976384

"In relation to call-out charges, Mr Kyne said that there should not be an obligation on householders to use Irish Water if the problem is within their own property."

Sean Kyne Fine Gael TD implies that householders are obliged to use Irish Water to fix water problems on their own property.

Tell us more Sean?

Scroll down the page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

What's the point in paying the ESB if you can steal electricity from your neighbours line?

Or you could move to another electricity provider.

Anyways turning on a tap is a little easier than messing with electric cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

"In relation to call-out charges, Mr Kyne said that there should not be an obligation on householders to use Irish Water if the problem is within their own property."

Sean Kyne Fine Gael TD implies that householders are obliged to use Irish Water to fix water problems on their own property.

Tell us more Sean?

Scroll down the page.
    Well seeing as that's not the case it looks like he's going to get his way...

I'm not looking for his Bill. I'm looking for the amendment he said was snuck in.

I'm not looking for his Bill. I'm looking for the amendment he said was snuck in.

The Social Welfare and Pensions Act 2014 included an amendment to include Irish Water as a specified body in Schedule 5 of the Social Welfare Consolidation Act, 2005 (as amended). This Legislation was enacted on the 17th of July 2014 and it allows Irish Water to request and use the PPS numbers from customers.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-09-25a.105

??

The Social Welfare and Pensions Act 2014 included an amendment to include Irish Water as a specified body in Schedule 5 of the Social Welfare Consolidation Act, 2005 (as amended). This Legislation was enacted on the 17th of July 2014 and it allows Irish Water to request and use the PPS numbers from customers.

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-09-25a.105

??

so it wasn't snuck in last month to act retrospectively. It was actually brought in three months ago before the applications process began in the normal fashion.

so it wasn't snuck in last month to act retrospectively. It was actually brought in three months ago before the applications process began in the normal fashion.

Naughty Feargal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

By 'snuck in', Feargal meant that he just wasn't paying attention.

The tipping point happened along time ago!! They'll just keep chipping away and you'll have to get a 2nd job to pay or go under. That's the fact of the situation. You can blow all the hot air you want on nov1st but it'll all blow over like everything else. I just sit back and laugh at everyone moan and groan then end up paying anyway lol. Listen the capitalists have won so time to bend over and take it like good man/women you are. I can't wait to bump this thread in few years to prove ya all that I'm right that the Irish are a bunch of pussies lol

And for the record, its sad to say im Irish too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Phoebas wrote: »
    By 'snuck in', Feargal meant that he just wasn't paying attention.

Looks like he wasn't the only one.

http://www.mcgarrsolicitors.ie/2014/10/22/irish-water-ppsns-and-the-missing-ministers-agreement/
    The Minister must be shown and must agree with the proposal for use and processing of the PPS number, on the basis (amongst other things) that it is necessary and proportionate under the general principles of data protection.

If the minister does agree that standard has been met then a specified body may then collect and process PPS Numbers-solely in line with that agreement.

No such agreement between the Minister for Social Protection and Irish Water is anywhere shown on the Irish Water website or on the Department of Social Protection website.

However, the Department of Social Protection has published a statement from Irish Wateron its website saying that the agreement is still not in place, as of September 2014.

“This arrangement has not been finalized at this time but we are engaging with the DSP”

If there is no agreement in place with the Minister, on what statutory basis is the collection and processing of PPS numbers taking place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lol.

They keep coming.
    The brother of a Fine Gael donor recorded as giving €1,000 to Lucinda Creighton when she was contesting a Dáil seat for the party was appointed to the board of Irish Water, The Irish Times has learned.

The Irish Water website lists Coleman Sheehy as one of its board members and says he is “involved in property investment and development”.

He was appointed in November 2013, and his appointment was approved by then ministers Phil Hogan and Pat Rabbitte. The board fees are worth €15,000 annually.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/brother-of-fine-gael-donor-appointed-to-board-of-irish-water-1.1979917

In fairness, sound investment. One grand donation secured a fifteen grand a year appointment to the board. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement