Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,085 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah we paid 1.2 billion and we are still losing 40% do you call that acceptable? Cus I sure as hell don't. We need to pay for it through one unified body and also invest at the same time and since water is going to become a scarcer and more valued resource as the world continues to fill up why shouldnt we pay for what we use instead of paying a flat rate and using whatever we want?
    because i own my water and i'l use what i want

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Primary budget surplus for yr end 2014 will be 0.3% of GDP.... Or around €500m.

Underlying deficit with national debt repayment is as you mention above.

But the cost of running the nation day-to-day is covered by taxation (finally).

Yes, correct.

One point - we aren't repaying any national debt, we are paying interest.

The primary surplus is after taking out interest payments.

If you consider interest as a "day-to-day" cost, then we are yet covering all expenditure with taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Head of local government says the board of Irish Water must quit.
    The head of the body representing county and city councillors wants the board of Irish Water to step down.

Padraig McNally, chairman of the Association of Local Government, says bonuses should have been consigned to history.

However, McNally says the public has no confidence in the board of the embattled utility.

"The board, as we now know it, has lost all confidence and respect from the public, and I think without that, they cannot hope to achieve the very very onerous task they've been given in terms of providing clean water," he said.

"But I think the problem really is that the cost of that water is beyond most people's affordability."
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/local-government-chief-says-board-of-irish-water-must-quit-649053.html

Wrap it up lads. Night night.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

fxotoole wrote: »
    Direct debits are full access, as you have no control over how much the utility can take out of your account.

Please get your facts right. Before a DD can be taken, the payer has to be notified IN ADVANCE of the sum that will be taken, and has every opportunity to either contact the supplier to dispute the amount, or in the last case scenario, it is possible to suspend or cancel the direct debit, on this occasion only, or complete cancellation.

You have TOTAL control over how much may be taken, and if you don't agree with it, then you can prevent it being taken,

Administratively, Direct debit is cheaper to operate than most other payment methods, which is why the suppliers prefer using it where possible, and offer lower rates where it is in place.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,024 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

because i own my water and i'l use what i want

Is it your well? If not then no you don't, you pay for the water that comes into your house and by any basic logic you should alos pay for how much you use like we do with any other utility and service, in fact I would argue it makes even more sense to pay for the water you use than any other utility due to how vital a resource it is to actually living.
    Yes we have a right to water but we also have a social responsibility to not waste it like we are currently doing and will continue to do if we don't centralise it's management, pay for how much we use and drastically increase the money we put into it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

It's all over bar the shouting now for IW. The people of Ireland have given them two fingers and have seen past their pathetic attempts to rip off the ordinary working man and woman. Great to see the government in full on retreat as their vote collapses right, left and centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

It's all over bar the shouting now for IW. The people of Ireland have given them two fingers and have seen past their pathetic attempts to rip off the ordinary working man and woman. Great to see the government in full on retreat as their vote collapses right, left and centre.

Have I missed a recent news story, are they no longer bringing in water charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Have I missed a recent news story, are they no longer bringing in water charges?

No everything is going perfectly and everyone's over the moon with IW

Everyone in the government is cool and relaxed and resting easy as their plans for water charges are being welcomed with open arms by an eager population who can't wait for the bills to arrive

And RTE are reporting about the "water marches" on Saturday when all are taking to the streets in adoration of IW and the government.

NOT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Correct, can you not read the severity of the situation? Not a hope it can go ahead. Saturday will confirm this as communities take to the streets. The government will be falling over each other trying to make amends in the weeks after, trying to save their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Was here today for lunch. Passing on a charge for tapwater onto the customer even though its covered in their rates. Knowing the greed on our Island, this will become commonplace.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/this-dublin-pub-has-started-charging-for-glasses-of-tap-water-649030.html

20 cent charge for one pint of tap water. Clever. Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Correct, can you not read the severity of the situation. Not a hope it can go ahead. Saturday will confirm this and the slimeballs in government will be falling over each other to make amends in the weeks after trying to save their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Enjoy dreaming ....do you?
    Water charges are coming in...maybe slower than originally planned...but they are still coming in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

With the anti IW groups claiming figures of 100,000 to 250,000 at the last march I imagine anything less than 100k marching will be considered a poor showing and demonstrate an increase in support for IW, considering this is the real protest.

Perhaps I missed earlier contributions regarding the assertions that the water we use must be paid for - I do not think anyone would dispute that.

I am at a loss, however how we have, most of us, received a water supply for so many decades, and longer, when no one has paid for it.

Has every Government since the foundation of this state, and earlier, not realized this?

So how was the water provided?

What has changed?

With the anti IW groups claiming figures of 100,000 to 250,000 at the last march I imagine anything less than 100k marching will be considered a poor showing and demonstrate an increase in support for IW, considering this is the real protest.

When are the pro IW having a March ?
    Or actually doing something to declare their love of IW to the rest of us?

I'm sure you could muster at least half a dozen supporters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Was here today for lunch. Passing on a charge for tapwater onto the customer even though its covered in their rates. Knowing the greed on our Island, this will become commonplace.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/this-dublin-pub-has-started-charging-for-glasses-of-tap-water-649030.html

it's not greed, it's the reality that everything costs money.

- the water in the glass, the water used to make the ice, and the water used to clean them in a dishwasher all costs the pub money
    - the staff time to serve that water & then clean the glass costs them money
    - the glass itself costs them money
    - the beermat you're likely to put it on costs them money

so 20c is pretty good value

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

You've obviously never been to the continent where the pubs and clubs won't even give you tap water and charge you for bottled water.....
    20c a pint is cheap.

papu wrote: »
    You've obviously never been to the continent where the pubs and clubs won't even give you tap water and charge you for bottled water.....
    20c a pint is cheap.

Even IW charge "only" 0.3c for a pint of water. Not 20 cent. A different point I suppose, but what other countries do is their business. I thought there was something about a person not being charged for water in a public house. But this is a digression from this forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

papu wrote: »
    20c a pint is cheap.

I've been to the continent, many times visiting pubs were I can drink a pint of decent, Belgian beer for in and around a euro, or when in Portugal, a glass of wine for under a euro. (try getting either here for under four or five euro AT LEAST)

Different countries, different rules regulations and prices.

What's your point?

adrian92 wrote: »
    Even IW charge "only" 0.3c for a pint of water. Not 20 cent. A different point I suppose, but what other countries do is their business. I thought there was something about a person not being charged for water in a public house. But this is a digression from this forum

Pubs in England Scotland and Wales are required to provide free tap water on request by law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

- the water in the glass, the water used to make the ice, and the water used to clean them in a dishwasher all costs the pub money

There is little or no value in most city centre pubs.

That is why most are empty with the exeption of weekends.

All self inflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I've been to the continent, many times visiting pubs were I can drink a pint of decent, Belgian beer for in and around a euro, or when in Portugal, a glass of wine for under a euro. (try getting either here for under four or five euro AT LEAST)

Different countries, different rules regulations and prices.

What's your point?

My point is it's not unheard of to charge for water in pubs etc , and is common practice on the continent.

I don't know what your point with the cool story was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭oceanman

Enjoy dreaming ....do you?
    Water charges are coming in...maybe slower than originally planned...but they are still coming in!
    they have been in for decades now......who did you think was paying for the water when you turned your tap on?

A poll on Newstalk radio

70% not paying

A mere 7% who want to pay cos other countries do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

its is completely greed. the customer bought a dinner, if the 20c charge wasnt greed driven the water would have been included in the cost of the meal.

the staff time didnt cost them a penny as they were already serving a paying customer. beermats and (most) glasses dont cost pubs a single cent.

its is completely greed. the customer bought a dinner, if the 20c charge wasnt greed driven the water would have been included in the cost of the meal.

the staff time didnt cost them a penny as they were already serving a paying customer. beermats and (most) glasses dont cost pubs a single cent.

It's a sad state of affairs when a glass of tap water becomes the subject of an argument over price

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

"Ordinary working man and woman".

People keep throwing that phrase about, can anyone explain what it even means?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

hju6 wrote: »
    A poll on Newstalk radio

70% not paying

A mere 7% who want to pay cos other countries do
    That was a very weird poll, the options given were very biased, you could argue which way.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

awec wrote: »
    "Ordinary working man and woman".

People keep throwing that phrase about, can anyone explain what it even means?

I guess the person is eluding to working people that don't have the time to worry about political issues"due to work".

This is perhaps the issue that got them to realize that the politicians work for us not the other way around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,024 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

oceanman wrote: »
    they have been in for decades now......who did you think was paying for the water when you turned your tap on?

No water charges have not been in in for decades. We previously paid taxes income, vat whatever which all went into a giant tax pot and some portion of that was used to pay for water, that is no longer the case, we still pay taxes but slightly less in the majority of cases which makes up for how much might have gone toward's water. However we were not charged for how much we use which considering how vital and in the future scarce a resource water will be we really need to start being charged by use.

Also we were not actually paying enough for water as evidenced by the fact our system has a 40% loss rate which is obscene yet all anti-IW protestors have to say regarding it is we should stick with the old way which was what got us to the 40% loss rate.

We need a centralised body that charges use by use or our infrastructure is going to continue to get worse and worse but like ive previously stated not one of the IW protestor's can see beyond 1 year down the road with their selfish attitudes to the countries water infrastructure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement