Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

awec wrote: »
    "Ordinary working man and woman".

People keep throwing that phrase about, can anyone explain what it even means?
    They're the backbone of the country, who keep the whole show on the road but inexplicably shouldn't have to pay for it.
    sin_city wrote: »
    This is perhaps the issue that got them to realize that the politicians work for us not the other way around
    ^^ ... but apparently (up to now) they were a bit thick or didn't ever attend a civics lesson in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭Daith

Phoebas wrote: »
    didn't ever attend a civics lesson in school.

There's no civics lesson when you go to the school of hard knocks mate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

The organised removal of meters seems to be underway:

https://www.facebook.com/mullingarmeterfairies

Dear Irish Water.

Someone has removed my meter.
    This is mental.

Yours sincerely,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,024 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They're the backbone of the country, who keep the whole show on the road but inexplicably shouldn't have to pay for it.

And according to Noonan's statistic's they actually don't even pay for that much anyway since 70% of the country, ie the ordinary working man and woman, are paying 21% of income tax

The organised removal of meters seems to be underway:

https://www.facebook.com/mullingarmeterfairies

Dear Irish Water.

Someone has removed my meter.
    This is mental.

Yours sincerely,

Irresponsible fvckwits bringing about the quicker degradation of our water infrastructure but of course in 5 years when half the country is on boil water notices it will be the politicians who get blamed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

^^ ... but apparently (up to now) they were a bit thick or didn't ever attend a civics lesson in school.

No, as I said people with families just get on with it...work sleep and so on...No time for actually seeing what is going on....Here the country seems to be galvanized.

If anyone is a bit thick, maybe its you.....When you are busy working, the last thing you want to do when you go home is find out when the protest is on so you can lose whatever little free time you have in an attempt to change something the politicians are hell bent on putting through to pay banker debts.

Does that explain it? Come on...another snide remark...go on....ya know ya want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

VinLieger wrote: »
    Irresponsible fvckwits bringing about the quicker degradation of our water infrastructure but of course in 5 years when half the country is on boil water notices it will be the politicians who get blamed

The incompetent politicians have degraded the water infrastructure for years,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Their fears or concerns are unfounded.
    However, the Irish Independent has learned that officials in the government department responsible for issuing PPS numbers are doubtful about the legal basis of Irish Water checking numbers and are uneasy over the conflict with their own duty to protect members of the public.

It's an individual's own choice to give out their PPS number, nothing to do with the issuer's duty to protect anything.
    and they are also annoyed at the tight deadline for people to make such a decision.

It has been known for months that IW would be looking for PPS numbers. Where's the "tight deadline"?
    They also express concerns about the prospect of Irish Water being privatised in the future

Don't know where they get the idea that IW will be privatised, unless they know something the rest of us don't.
    and query what right a private company would have to be in possession of people's PPS numbers.

This doesn't make any sense. A private company has every "right" to have your PPS number, once you give it willingly.

Numerous private companies have my PPS number, as I would suspect they have of most people.

Banks, building societies, employers, accountants, financial advisors, etc.

Valetta wrote: »
    It's an individual's own choice to give out their PPS number, nothing to do with the issuer's duty to protect anything.

What? They absolutely have a duty to protect data. They've already had one breach of data protection already also.

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    What? They absolutely have a duty to protect data? They've already had one breach of data protection already also.

But they're not giving out any data? :confused:

hju6 wrote: »
    The incompetent politicians have degraded the water infrastructure for years,

Yeah and who voted the incompetent politicians in? Incompetent voters are the problem here who always want better things but aren't willing to actually pay for them and will vote for whichever politician promises them the most without actually thinking of the realistic consequences of those promises and how they most likely cannot possible be followed through

Our political system is broken and it's not the politicians fault it's the voters who sell their votes to the highest bidder

They already gave out bank details to the wrong people. They also use a number of 3rd party companies (most specifically their outsourced call center).

What's confusing about people wanting to know who IW can give their PPS numbers to?

sin_city wrote: »
    If anyone is a bit thick, maybe its you.....
    [...]
    Come on...another snide remark...go on....ya know ya want to.
    Hypocritical post tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

How do you know?

They already gave out bank details to the wrong people. They also use a number of 3rd party companies (most specifically their outsourced call center).

What's confusing about people wanting to know who IW can give their PPS numbers to?

Read the article qouted in my original post.

It's the Dept. of Social Protection claiming they are worried about themselves being in breach of data protection. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Quote:
    However, the Irish Independent has learned that officials in the government department responsible for issuing PPS numbers are doubtful about the legal basis of Irish Water checking numbers and are uneasy over the conflict with their own duty to protect members of the public.

gladrags wrote: »
    How do you know?

Why would the Dept. of Social Protection give out anyone's PPS number?

Read the article qouted in my original post.

It's the Dept. of Social Protection claiming they are worried about themselves being in breach of data protection. It makes no sense whatsoever.

Perhaps you should explain our data protection laws to the Dept then? If they don't know well....

Perhaps you should explain our data protection laws to the Dept then?

Why would I do that?

I just pointed out how nonsensical the article was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

IW also supply personal information to third parties.

Who in turn I suppose can supply the information to god knows who.

What a farce.

• Advertisement

This is such a bogus story - it's about some civil servants in the DSP posting some stuff up on an internal notice board. It's not about officials expressing concerns in their official capacity.

Willie O'Dea is just playing games here. Next up we're sure to have a worker in the IW call centre refusing to register and Willie will spin it as 'Irish Water officials against Irish Water'.

This is such a bogus story - it's about some civil servants in the DSP posting some stuff up on an internal notice board. It's not about officials expressing concerns in their official capacity.

Willie O'Dea is just playing games here. Next up we're sure to have a worker in the IW call centre refusing to register and Willie will spin it as 'Irish Water officials against Irish Water'.

Exactly he was on Pat Kenny yesterday and was just waffling, when asked what could actually be done with someone's PPS number he couldn't answer the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Exactly he was on Pat Kenny yesterday and was just waffling, when asked what could actually be done with someone's PPS number he couldn't answer the question

Why is there a PPS number Fraud department then PPS number fraud is a very serious issue....

Why is there a PPS number Fraud department then PPS number fraud is a very serious issue....

Yeah for cases of defrauding social welfare etc.
    Hypothetical tomorrow you got my PPS number what can you do with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yeah for cases of defrauding social welfare etc.
    Hypothetical tomorrow you got my PPS number what can you do with it?

Post it up here sure if you have no issues with it being in the public domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

For people who register for a pps with false details or multiple identities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

papu wrote: »
    You've obviously never been to the continent where the pubs and clubs won't even give you tap water and charge you for bottled water.....
    20c a pint is cheap.

You see, this is how rip off Ireland exists.

It's 20c this week.

In a few months it'll be a euro...some time after that a euro fifty...until one day people are on Boards wondering why a pint of tap water cost them 3 euro.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Yeah and who voted the incompetent politicians in? Incompetent voters are the problem here who always want better things but aren't willing to actually pay for them and will vote for whichever politician promises them the most without actually thinking of the realistic consequences of those promises and how they most likely cannot possible be followed through

Our political system is broken and it's not the politicians fault it's the voters who sell their votes to the highest bidder

So according to you, it's the people's fault for voting in the incompetant politicians, and then when the people stand up and protest against the incompetant politicians it's the people's fault.

So basically, according to you, everything is the people's fault .:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

awec wrote: »
    "Ordinary working man and woman".

People keep throwing that phrase about, can anyone explain what it even means?

People, other than the John Tierney's, Denis O'Brien's and Buckley Bros. of this world, I would presume.

• Advertisement

Post it up here sure if you have no issues with it being in the public domain.

I like my anonymity thank's but as far as I know there is actually nothing of consequence that it can be used for beyond getting your name, if you know otherwise prove me wrong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement