Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

yipeeeee wrote: »
    But you just know you don't want to hand over money even if its s necessary evil to get the country back on track.

Suppose it is human nature.

When you say to get the country back on track are you talking about €150 miilion a year gathered that towards a company that cost €180 million + €500 million for the meters?

This idea that we are paying a charge for the water infrastructure to be fixed is not true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

eeepaulo wrote: »
    When you say to get the country back on track are you talking about €150 miilion a year gathered that towards a company that cost €180 million + €500 million for the meters?

This idea that we are paying a charge for the water infrastructure to be fixed is not true

So why are they making us pay it?

So why are they making us pay it?

Who is they?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Not sure I'd like my PPS number being banding around Asia...
    Pray tell, why would you give a Monkey's?

Who is they?

Ends and co obviously.

• Advertisement

Ends and co obviously.

Obviously.

Why do you keep asking other people to guess why people you support are behaving in the way they are?

Why can no one give me an answer?

What is the reason they are imposing these charges that makes them so evil.

I'm actually trying to see it from both sides.

For me, it's not the idea of charging for water on a usage basis that I have an issue with but the way this plan is currently being implemented. They have jumped into it feet first by employing top management, some of whom don't have a very good track record in their previous roles. What qualifies them for this role?

The consultancy fees were astronomical and given a non disclosure status. Why couldn't they justify them to the public? Surely, if the cost of consultancy was justified a decent governing body would have no issues disclosing and explaining them?

PPS numbers are not required to determine the household. Why, as a company, make the relationship with your customer contentious when it doesn't have to be? Did the consultancy firm not pick up on this?

Some of us have meters, some don't. Get the meters installed to all and then charge everyone on an equal setting. You being charged on one system and me on another is back again to act first, think later.

The whole thought process is here, there and everywhere and personally I have no confidence in it. Anyhoo, that's just my opinion and what gives me cause for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Love it! Good on IW workers using their heads and giving the protesters a taste of their own medicine!

Yeah but there was a bit of a damper too Maryanne. Some FG supporters were also blocked in ;)

Oh, and the data breach. Only now are they looking for a manager of the department. WTF?

Obviously.

Why do you keep asking other people to guess why people you support are behaving in the way they are?

I don't support them, i just like to hear peoples opinions on the matter because its all over the news and papers.

• Advertisement

For me, it's not the idea of charging for water on a usage basis that I have an issue with but the way this plan is currently being implemented. They have jumped into it feet first by employing top management, some of whom don't have a very good track record in their previous roles. What qualifies them for this role?

The consultancy fees were astronomical and given a non disclosure status. Why couldn't they justify them to the public? Surely, if the cost of consultancy was justified a decent governing body would have no issues disclosing and explaining them?

PPS numbers are not required to determine the household. Why, as a company, make the relationship with your customer contentious when it doesn't have to be? Did the consultancy firm not pick up on this?

Some of us have meters, some don't. Get the meters installed to all and then charge everyone on an equal setting. You being charged on one system and me on another is back again to act first, think later.

The whole thought process is here, there and everywhere and personally I have no confidence in it. Anyhoo, that's just my opinion and what gives me cause for concern.
    Cheers at least this is an honest answer instead of people just not wanting to pay for the sake of it and.not really having any real reason..

I don't support them, i just like to hear peoples opinions on the matter because its all over the news and papers.

Fair enough,

Im not willing to guess as to why the children of ireland are suffering so badly according to unicef.

Our politicians keep telling us we have a growing economy thanks to them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What about the premises that can't be metered? IW never claimed they are going to achieve 100% metering. No water provider anywhere does 100% metering. To wait until 100% metering had been achieved until charging would not make sense.

England has only about 40% of premises metered, but they still manage to charge everyone. On a metered basis where there is a meter and on another system where there is no meter.

What about the premises that can't be metered? IW never claimed they are going to achieve 100% metering. No water provider anywhere does 100% metering. To wait until 100% metering had been achieved until charging would not make sense.

England has only about 40% of premises metered, but they still manage to charge everyone. On a metered basis where there is a meter and on another system where there is no meter.

Why couldn't a premises be metered? Honest query.

I have no expertise in the water industry. This is what IW say:

An unmetered bill is the type of bill sent to customers who do not have, or are not able to have, a water meter due to economic or physical circumstances.

Anyway apart from what would be the normal circumstances in any country preventing meter installation, we have the special case in this country where protestors have stopped meters being installed. A neighbour of mine left his car over the spot for the few days they were in the area and he got no meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I would like all my data to remain private or visible only to bodies of my choosing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Where a single pipe provides for more than one household or tenant, such as apartments for example.

Irish Water may only put a meter outside such a premises, not inside where pipes branch off.

I would like all my data to remain private or visible only to bodies of my choosing

I can certainly understand that thinking in relation to information that might be used (or abused) such as anything that would identify or locate you (name, email, phone, address etc.)

But a PPS number? By itself? I cannot see how it can make the slightest difference if anyone got their hands on this. For all practical purposes it is a random number. :confused:

Perhaps I'm missing something?

I have no expertise in the water industry. This is what IW say:

An unmetered bill is the type of bill sent to customers who do not have, or are not able to have, a water meter due to economic or physical circumstances.

Anyway apart from what would be the normal circumstances in any country preventing meter installation, we have the special case in this country where protestors have stopped meters being installed. A neighbour of mine left his car over the spot for the few days they were in the area and he got no meter.

Thanks dx but i'm going to revert back to consultants and their input into what would be the best way forward, right at the beginning when it was decided that customers should pay for their usage. I believe a better solution could have been found if they took the time to work it out. It was all rushed IMO and the money that has been paid out for professional advice wasn't good value at all.

Thanks dx but i'm going to revert back to consultants and their input into what would be the best way forward, right at the beginning when it was decided that customers should pay for their usage. I believe a better solution could have been found if they took the time to work it out. It was all rushed IMO and the money that has been paid out for professional advice wasn't good value at all.

My preference would be to charge people for whatever is on the meter. None of this palaver about how many children. Again it is only in Ireland that we have this sort of carry on. In England unless you are one of the minority with a meter, you pay a figure calculated from your property tax. I can't see anything wrong with that either.

Do you think that using those two charging systems here would have prevented protests? You know the answer to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Like I asked earlier throw it up here.

Like I asked earlier throw it up here.
    And if I were to extract an arbitrary PPS from my David Drumm and post it here, would you even know? :pac:

Seriously, what could a ne'er do well do with access to my PPS number and nothing else? I honestly don't see anything.

I'll broaden it out. Would you be happy for an Indian IT person to have your name, address, mobile phone number and PPS number ? You might find the Microsoft India hotline ringing your mobile shortly afterwards to discuss your computer "virus"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

And if I were to extract an arbitrary PPS from my David Drumm and post it here, would you even know? :pac:

Seriously, what could a ne'er do well do with access to my PPS number and nothing else? I honestly don't see anything.

Post it up, put it to the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Move over HSE. Here comes I irish water.
    Accountable to no one, always looking for money..... Assurance that their bonus is deserved and beneficial to the people of Ireland.

Got a problem with your water? Call us on 1850 180 an hour, that's 1850 180 an hour. We are so good that only we can fix those pipes. But wait, that's not all call us now and we will throw in a discounted offer of 240 call out fee for out of hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Post it up, put it to the test.

Maybe someone could put up their kids' PPS numbers if they don't want to put up their own?

I'll broaden it out. Would you be happy for an Indian IT person to have your name, address, mobile phone number and PPS number ? You might find the Microsoft India hotline ringing your mobile shortly afterwards to discuss your computer "virus"
    No I wouldn't. As I have said. My name, address and mobile phone number can be abused, if only to pester me.

But my PPS number? By itself? I honestly don't see what use it could be. Perhaps there is some information in the way the number is constructed that I am unaware of and that might be useful. Do you think it is, of itself, a useful piece of information?

Banjo seems to be hinting that this is so. He might be right. Then again he might be coddin'. ;)

My preference would be to charge people for whatever is on the meter. None of this palaver about how many children. Again it is only in Ireland that we have this sort of carry on. In England unless you are one of the minority with a meter, you pay a figure calculated from your property tax. I can't see anything wrong with that either.

Do you think that using those two charging systems here would have prevented protests? You know the answer to that.

I agree it wouldn't have prevented people protesting but I do wonder if protests would have gained the momentum that they appear to be gaining if the jobs for the boys, consultancy costs, PPS nonsense, bonuses, possible outsourcing of data, etc, had been questioned properly by the decision makers.

I'd love to see a new breed of politicians come through who are smart, question everything and evaluate the pros and the cons of each decision and whom disclose to the public the thought process rather than the party line spiel. Ooooh I just saw a pig flying high in the sky! :D

After the evil Irish Water has been defeated (I condemn him and all his works) CIE need to be dealt with. They are asking for our children's PPS numbers, just because we want to get transport to school. Shock horror.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1396885063-Application---April-2014---eng.pdf

Millions of people in CIE could see our PPS numbers.

• Advertisement

No I wouldn't. As I have said. My name, address and mobile phone number can be abused, if only to pester me.

But my PPS number? By itself? I honestly don't see what use it could be. Perhaps there is some information in the way the number is constructed that I am unaware of and that might be useful. Do you think it is, of itself, a useful piece of information?

Banjo seems to be hinting that this is so. He might be right. Then again he might be coddin'. ;)

Ok I overstated the importance of the PPS number in all of this. I am more angry at my data going to India. Banks are at the same trick. God help us all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement