Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 tracking

Would you ask or give banking details of a third party to a total stranger?
    The number belongs to the State, this stranger has no natural authority nor quotes permission to make the request. Is posturing fraud.
    What about Global Warning? Why lie by omission? People need to be informed. Who is the cause of these contre temps?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I agree it wouldn't have prevented people protesting but I do wonder if protests would have gained the momentum that they appear to be gaining if the jobs for the boys, consultancy costs, PPS nonsense, bonuses, possible outsourcing of data, etc, had been questioned properly by the decision makers.

I'd love to see a new breed of politicians come through who are smart, question everything and evaluate the pros and the cons of each decision and whom disclose to the public the thought process rather than the party line spiel. Ooooh I just saw a pig flying high in the sky! :D

PPS nonsense it just that, nonsense. It is perfectly sensible to ask for PPS numbers for the scheme which has been set up. If it was the English system, there would be no need for them.

Dozens of entities can ask for PPS numbers, and tens of thousands of people have access to them. IW is no more, or no less vulnerable to having the data they hold misused by rogue employees, or being hacked by criminals than any other organisation. The whole PPS number protest is just another way for freeloaders to excuse themselves from paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

PPS nonsense it just that, nonsense. It is perfectly sensible to ask for PPS numbers for the scheme which has been set up. If it was the English system, there would be no need for them.

Dozens of entities can ask for PPS numbers, and tens of thousands of people have access to them. IW is no more, or no less vulnerable to having the data they hold misused by rogue employees, or being hacked by criminals than any other organisation. The whole PPS number protest is just another way for freeloaders to excuse themselves from paying.

Go on gimme an example....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

I'm a trustworthy entity , what's your pps no ?
    How does not giving your pps no excuse one from paying ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

No I wouldn't. As I have said. My name, address and mobile phone number can be abused, if only to pester me.

But my PPS number? By itself? I honestly don't see what use it could be. Perhaps there is some information in the way the number is constructed that I am unaware of and that might be useful. Do you think it is, of itself, a useful piece of information?

Banjo seems to be hinting that this is so. He might be right. Then again he might be coddin'. ;)

But you know it won't be just your PPS number (By Itself) on the biggest database ever created under one file to be perused in a non EEEA, (remember the furore over the PULSE system nosiness?).

How will it pan out when similar breaches occur with the new big file, and, they will.

And you won't even put your PPS here, by itself, no name, address date of birth.

You backed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

While mostly agreeing with you, I feel that the PPS number should have been optional.
    If your household doesn't wish to claim for an exempted or complimentary supply, then by all means return the form without the PPS number.
    But if you do ......?

hju6 wrote: »
    How does not giving your pps no excuse one from paying ?

Must keep up, one can make a larger contribution by not giving the old PPS number, so no free loading at all.

Heres mine, in white font:

While mostly agreeing with you, I feel that the PPS number should have been optional.
    If your household doesn't wish to claim for an exempted or complimentary supply, then by all means return the form without the PPS number.
    But if you do ......?

I'll bet that whichever bright spark came up with the idea of allowances wishes they'd never uttered the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

But if you do ......?

But it was optional..

PPS number = apply for allowance = smaller Bill

No pps number , no contract no consent Sh*te , burning , not returning = no allowance = higher bill..

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

And you won't even put your PPS here, by itself, no name, address date of birth.
    I readily admit that I don't know if there is anything useful (damaging) in my PPS number. I suspect not and I have put the question to several posters and none of them have been able to outline how the number might profitably be used. Can you?

And yes of course, the scope for abuse, and even fraud, is quite possible if my full details fell in to the wrong hands. But is is already thus with probably dozens of organisations who have information on me for one reason or another. A hazard of the digital age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

hju6 wrote: »

5146365F. What now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

What happens if you do not fill out the form they send you ?

Willie ODee is not trying to avoid payment.

IW death squads will kill you and sell your children. And send the water bill to your widow.

You'll get billed with no allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Phoebas wrote: »
    5146365F. What now?

you missed a letter.......

5146365FG

papu wrote: »
    You'll get billed with no allowance.

What happens if you don't pay the bill. Also when is thr closing date for the applications?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

But it was optional...

PPS number = apply for allowance = smaller Bill

No pps number , no contract no consent Sh*te , burning , not returning = no allowance = higher bill..

I missed that ....because they haven't sent out the forms to me yet.

What happens if you don't pay the bill. Also when is thr closing date for the applications?

What usually happens when you don't pay bills?
    30 November
    I missed that ....because they haven't sent out the forms to me yet.

Well you can Register online also.

If you drink all the water allowance, what happens?

• Advertisement

Phoebas wrote: »
    5146365F. What now?

All in good time.

I'll need to cross check it with the Department of Social Protection first.

30 November

Well you can Register online also.

Nothing really.
    But thanks for the info.

But I have sent my application form back including my PPS number :confused:

These guys at the top are being paid jaw dropping salaries but didn't have the cop on to see that asking for PPSN's would add fuel to the fire. In reality they didn't have to request them as there are other options available but they ran with the option that had people asking questions.

Irish Water, if you are reading this - I'm on the lookout for a new job. If you employ me I can assure you that I will question every aspect of your business development plan, highlight positive and negative implications and conduct brainstorming sessions (BS for short) on how best to create a harmonious relationship between you and your customers. I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭66ad

They cut you off but Irish water can't do that. So what happens then?

tracking wrote: »
    If you drink all the water allowance, what happens?

You'd probably explode.

66ad wrote: »
    They cut you off but Irish water can't do that. So what happens then?

They reduce your pressure and pursue you for payment.
    I don't see any reason why they couldn't cut people off , it happens in America when people don't pay for water.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

But I have sent my application form back including my PPS number :confused:

These guys at the top are being paid jaw dropping salaries but didn't have the cop on to see that asking for PPSN's would add fuel to the fire. In reality they didn't have to request them as there are other options available but they ran with the option that had people asking questions.

Irish Water, if you are reading this - I'm on the lookout for a new job. If you employ me I can assure you that I will question every aspect of your business development plan, highlight positive and negative implications and conduct brainstorming sessions (BS for short) on how best to create a harmonious relationship between you and your customers. I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Here's some light reading to prepare yourself for your new position. You can pick out the obvious holes in that lot.

https://www.water.ie/news/proposed-capital-investme/Proposed-Capital-Investment-Plan-2014-2016.pdf

http://www.cer.ie/docs/000956/CER14363%20CER%20Decision%20Paper%20on%20the%20Irish%20Water%20Customer%20Handbook.pdf

And let them know about your plan to achieve 100% metering, without any charges until it is completed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭66ad

They reduce your pressure and pursue you for payment.
    I don't see any reason why they couldn't cut people off , it happens in America when people don't pay for water.

But this isn't America they cut peoples hands off for stealing in Iran, should we do that too?

What if I turned the pressure back up?

66ad wrote: »
    But this isn't America they cut peoples hands off for stealing in Iran, should we do that too?

What if I turned the pressure back up?

In my opinion yes.
    I dunno, what if they came and chopped your hands off for stealing water.

• Advertisement

Surely they cannot turn off the water.
    Water is a need.
    Aint nobody got time to pay 200E. What was the reason to introduce the water charges in the first place ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement