Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Ok so I registered for the water tax online.

But I only completed section A and B.

It didn’t give me the chance to complete the further sections. So I didn’t give my PPS numbers or anything.

Does anybody else have this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

gandalf wrote: »
    With the right political will they would be. The problem is that the current crowd in power and the ones waiting in the wings for power don't have the testicular fortitude to take them on.

There's that and the fact that they would be taking money off themselves. A very difficult task.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

From the Independent site.

I have checked other sources to confirm Hogans remarks.

Here is the guy who set up the quango and walked away with a golden handshake from Kenny.

His comments are beyond belief,and reflect what FG really think about the taxpayers.

"Asked about Saturday’s massive countrywide demonstrations against water charges Mr Hogan said no-one will able to get rid of the new charge.

“People are entitled to protest, they are entitled to make their voice known,” he added.

He said the Government was forced to introduce water charges because the country was “broke” and dependent on funding from the Troika.

Speaking to Newstalk, Mr Hogan said the Troika are “paying for the people who are marching tomorrow if they are public servants or on welfare or if they are getting any particular service”.

“This is where we have been getting our money for the last number of years because we were broke and unfortunately that has a huge impact on people’s personal disposable income but also their lifestyle,” he added.

“We have to reform how we do business in this country or we will not learn from the past.”

He said the introduction of water charges in Ireland was “predicated by the unsavoury situation of the Troika” which forced the new tax on the county.

He said the Troika was still looking over the shoulder of the Government despite exiting the bailout programme. Mr Hogan said he would like to have had more time to introduce water charges over a longer time frame but he was under pressure from the Troika to implement the measure."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

gladrags wrote: »
    Snip

What's the need for the double spacing? It makes your posts very difficult to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

From the Independent site.

I have checked other sources to confirm Hogans remarks.

Here is the guy who set up the quango and walked away with a golden handshake from Kenny.

His comments are beyond belief,and reflect what FG really think about the taxpayers.

"Asked about Saturday’s massive countrywide demonstrations against water charges Mr Hogan said no-one will able to get rid of the new charge.

“People are entitled to protest, they are entitled to make their voice known,” he added.

He said the Government was forced to introduce water charges because the country was “broke” and dependent on funding from the Troika.

Speaking to Newstalk, Mr Hogan said the Troika are “paying for the people who are marching tomorrow if they are public servants or on welfare or if they are getting any particular service”.

“This is where we have been getting our money for the last number of years because we were broke and unfortunately that has a huge impact on people’s personal disposable income but also their lifestyle,” he added.

“We have to reform how we do business in this country or we will not learn from the past.”

He said the introduction of water charges in Ireland was “predicated by the unsavoury situation of the Troika” which forced the new tax on the county.

He said the Troika was still looking over the shoulder of the Government despite exiting the bailout programme. Mr Hogan said he would like to have had more time to introduce water charges over a longer time frame but he was under pressure from the Troika to implement the measure."

Exactly, do people rally think the government want to introduce this knowing its the end of them in power come next election.

They have no choice that's the harsh reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

“We have to reform how we do business in this country or we will not learn from the past.” "

So the first thing they did was another deal with their good buddy. Things are changing alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Phil Hogan mandates that the charge is here to stay, but with a million people still not after registering whats going to happen, are Fine Gael and the troika really going to try and prosecute and jail that many people.

I don't think so

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Noonan comparing water to electricity.....'sure be jaysus what if electricity was free, sure they'd be leaving the lights on all night in the middle of summer'

not sure how that translates in German..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Is there a website showing where and when the protests will be on?

Also will the bearded ones be making union speeches at these protests?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

list here

http://right2water.ie/events

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

The Fountain, Eyre Sq @2pm.

Are you spreading false information?

It's 1pm @ Spanish Arch for Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Jack O Connor is against the protests.

People should consider a different union so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

in all fairness Jack O Connor been against the protests only helps .....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just been looking at the right2water site, and I now find I have a major problem in supporting tomorrow's planned marches and protests.

I want to give the Government a VERY CLEAR AND LOUD message that says

IRISH WATER AS PRESENTLY STRUCTURED AND PLANNED IS UNACCEPTABLE TO ME, AND MUST BE CHANGED.

My problem is that I do NOT want to be associated with the NO PAYMENT plan that right2water are putting forward, I don't have an issue with water being a paid for resource that's paid for on the basis of consumption. That now puts me into a bind, in that the protest marches are all going to be promoted as being "No water charge", and I am not saying No water charge, I'm saying NO IRISH WATER as presently structured

The issue for me is that just about everything related to the operational structure, management structure, management style, operational culture and future direction of IW is wrong, and has to be undone, or changed, to make IW fit for purpose.

It looks like I won't be able to go to any of the 90 plus planned marches or demonstrations without my presence being used to give support to a message that I don't fully support.

Looks like I shall have to start writing specific letters to selected TD's and Ministers in order to make the point that I suspect is more in keeping with many people's real views on the subject of water and charges.

I suspect I'm not alone in this feeling, but it's frustrating and annoying me that the opportunity to give the Government a clear message is not as clear as I wanted it to be.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

the right2water campaign has always been about no Irish Water and water charges full stop, no one is forcing you to march against your beliefs

Shin

Are you spreading false information?

It's 1pm @ Spanish Arch for Galway

Jeez, calm down. I thought I was doing you a favour googling water protest/Galway. It led me to a fb page and they were the details listed.

Look yourself next time.

Just been looking at the right2water site, and I now find I have a major problem in supporting tomorrow's planned marches and protests.

IRISH WATER AS PRESENTLY STRUCTURED AND PLANNED IS UNACCEPTABLE TO ME, AND MUST BE CHANGED.

My problem is that I do NOT want to be associated with the NO PAYMENT plan that right2water are putting forward, I don't have an issue with water being a paid for resource that's paid for on the basis of consumption. That now puts me into a bind, in that the protest marches are all going to be promoted as being "No water charge", and I am not saying No water charge, I'm saying NO IRISH WATER as presently structured

The issue for me is that just about everything related to the operational structure, management structure, management style, operational culture and future direction of IW is wrong, and has to be undone, or changed, to make IW fit for purpose.

It looks like I won't be able to go to any of the 90 plus planned marches or demonstrations without my presence being used to give support to a message that I don't fully support.

Looks like I shall have to start writing specific letters to selected TD's and Ministers in order to make the point that I suspect is more in keeping with many people's real views on the subject of water and charges.

I suspect I'm not alone in this feeling, but it's frustrating and annoying me that the opportunity to give the Government a clear message is not as clear as I wanted it to be.

I am in the same boat, as are quite a lot of people, I would imagine. It seems like the gov are purely trying to buy off the 'won't pay no matter what' protesters with those of us who are aghast at the monstrosity that is IW being left out in the cold.

At this point I can't see any admin changes coming, all that will happen is that the middle class will once again be carrying pretty much the entire burden of this fat, incompetent setup. To be so fat and incompetent a year into its life is very worrying, I'm already hearing a ton of IW ads on the radio, I'm sure they're on TV too - I can't wait to be paying handsomely for a monster marketing budget from the only bloody water company in the state, that everyone has no choice but to use!

A sick joke.

People are attending for many different reasons,associated or not associated to Irish water.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

People are attending for many different reasons,associated or not associated to Irish water.

Therein lies the problem. I don't see that there is a coherent message with respect to what the protests are trying to achieve, or a definitive, actionable message to the government.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

3 of the protestors arrested in Cork yesterday are on the late late tonight!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Therein lies the problem. I don't see that there is a coherent message with respect to what the protests are trying to achieve, or a definitive, actionable message to the government.

the message is quite simple and doesn't need to be complicated like you're suggesting, the message is people have had enough!

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    At this point I can't see any admin changes coming, all that will happen is that the middle class will once again be carrying pretty much the entire burden
    Getting sick to the back teeth of this suffering "middleclass" bit.
    My bill is the same as yours and the same as a millionaires or anyone else.

While the people on this island squabble for their selfish interests "middleclass" v self employed or welfare we will all lose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

3 of the protestors arrested in Cork yesterday are on the late late tonight!! :)

That couldn't possibly backfire. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

the message is quite simple and doesn't need to be complicated like you're suggesting, the message is people have had enough!

That's not a decisive, definite, actionable message though. It's just a vague whingy moan about people not liking Irish Water for any of a multitude of reasons.

Like the poster you quoted commented, what exactly are these protests meant to achieve? Ask 10 different people at the protests, and you'll 10 different answers.

fxotoole wrote: »
    That's not a decisive, definite, actionable message though. It's just a vague whingy moan about people not liking Irish Water for any of a multitude of reasons.

Like the poster you quoted commented, what exactly are these protests meant to achieve? Ask 10 different people at the protests, and you'll 10 different answers.

If someone can't be bothered reading what the protests expect to achieve on the website, then its hardly likely that they are seriously interested. Whingy moan is right.

The simple and clear message being sent out is that I.W is NOT acceptable and will not be tolerated. And all the mickey fits by F.G and their online supporters is not going to dilute that message.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

cajonlardo wrote: »
    If someone can't be bothered reading what the protests expect to achieve on the website, then its hardly likely that they are seriously interested. Whingy moan is right.

The simple and clear message being sent out is that I.W is NOT acceptable and will not be tolerated. And all the mickey fits by F.G and their online supporters is not going to dilute that message.
    I don't normally get to tune in to Joe Duffy, but I caught a bit of it today. There were a good few people saying they were going on the protest tomorrow, but for many disparate reasons.
    Many weren't against water charges in principle but were unhappy about various aspects of how IW was operating including possible privatisation and the PPSN issue.

The fact is that there isn't really a single simple and clear message.

Not sure there can be an overall single factor.

Austerity,cronyism,and mistrust come to mind,throw in fear and the fact that people are p*ssed off,paying one tax after another.The bank bail out,homelessness.

There are many factors that have accumulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

cajonlardo wrote: »

But it is acceptable!
    Even on this Shinner laden site you have failed to get the majority vote.
    You have lost the run of yourselves if you think having 100 thousand on the street is the same as winning a general elections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I was just watching the RTE 6:01 news there, and Michael Noonan says that 'water is a scarce resource'. This man is on another planet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement