Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

People claiming potable water is not scarce have very short memories. This time last year saw a severe shortage resulting in a large amount of water restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Corporation tax rates?

No...local authority rates.
    Which are only paid at the moment by businesses and which are crippling them and their ability to recover and grow again.
    That probably never appears on your radar because someone else is paying for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

nm wrote: »
    Irish Water have drafted in 100's of temporary staff, they are apparently going to install every water meter tomorrow in problematic areas while the residents are out at the protests.

This is confirmed FACT.

Unless they have the keys to my car they ain't installing feck all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Ireland needs dragging down a back alley and given a good kicking. Ever since the church scandals and the bail out etc etc have all erupted I have seriously learned to hate this ****ed up little country of mine and i dont like the feeling.

Im marching today but its not particularly to do with paying for water. Irish Water has become a symbol of everything that causes me to hate my country. The corruption, the back scratching, the bonus culture... its all there.

Im a bit of a simpleton when it comes to politics but my feeling is :
    Get SF into power
    Bring the country and the govt to its knees over this issue
    Get the IMF et al back on our case
    Thats the good kicking.
    Force us to get our act together
    Force Irish politicians to stop acting the prick.

Then get SF back out of power reaaaaaaal fast!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Ireland needs dragging down a back alley and given a good kicking. Ever since the church scandals and the bail out etc etc have all erupted I have seriously learned to hate this ****ed up little country of mine and i dont like the feeling.

Im marching today but its not particularly to do with paying for water. Irish Water has become a symbol of everything that causes me to hate my country. The corruption, the back scratching, the bonus culture... its all there.

Im a bit of a simpleton when it comes to politics but my feeling is :
    Get SF into power
    Bring the country and the govt to its knees over this issue
    Get the IMF et al back on our case
    Thats the good kicking.
    Force us to get our act together
    Force Irish politicians to stop acting the prick.

Then get SF back out of power reaaaaaaal fast!:eek:

Sinn fein have the privatisation of water charges in their manefesto.

They agree with water charges but gullable people jump on the bandwagon.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    Get these anarchists off our streets ! The usual left wing,anti-austerity,anti-social,mostly unemployed cohort augmented by Sinn Fein youth wing yobbos. Tomorrows mooted "protests" will,in all likelihood,result in one pathetic damp squib.The majority of us who willingly pay for our utilities subjected,yet again,to the bleatings of those who refuse to pay for anything.

How narrow minded and out of touch are you???

I worked in banking but lost my job and now work on Jobsbridge. I dont get fuel allowance or Household benefits so wont get the €100. I paid the Household charge, my property tax, car tax, bin charges, all my utility bills, and will pay water charges if I think its a proper service. Dont forget the crippling VAT which also on top of all our bills - more tax.

I wont pay if it goes towards bonuses to Irish Water staff and call out charges that cost my weekly wage. I wont pay unless I know my meter is actually attached to my house and not the house next door (which I think is the case now!) I never claimed for any benefits in my life. I put my 2 kids through college myself to see them both emigrate. I worry constantly about bills now.

People have a right to their say and to demonstate their frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

hju6 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maryanne84 View Post
    Potable water IS a scarce resource.

Dundalk ran out of water in the 70s
    But somehow without the help of Irish water Dundalk managed to get water from Monaghan.

Dublin may run out of water but might get water from the Shannon.
    Or fix the 40% of leaks.

I don't see the point of transporting water from Shannon to Dublin for 40% of the water to leak away

The 40% makes it's way back into the supply chain. If there was no wastage it would not provide any more capacity at the resevoirs, just less of a chance of them running low during droughts. Dublin region gets 540 million litres of treated water every day. It would be foolish for whoever is in charge of supplies not to plan for a future where population and demand will continue to increase. I am really not qualified to give an opinion on the subject, over and above that observation. And I don't know anything about water supplies in Wexford, Donegal, Tipperary etc, maybe you do?

You dismissed my point comparing electricity and water supplies, but it is a fact that each town and city and their environs depend on whatever water resources can be accessed and treated locally. Unless a major project like the Dundalk one or the projected Shannon one is found to be necessary.

The Dundalk project was a massive investment. Without checking back I think most of the funding came from the EU. I for one appreciate the endless supply of good water here since, and the other massive investment which modernised the town's waste water infrastructure subsequently. A direct charge for water is not a mad idea. What was a mad idea was removing it from the funding mix in 1977 and holding that as the only correct model 40 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Another Protest Era Dawns

Another protest era dawns.
    Through the street's we march upon.
    For the future of our ilk and kind.
    As they do not pay us any mind.

Send a message loud and clear.
    Make them listen,make them hear.
    The signs are there,they will not hide.
    Behind deception,cast in lies.

Their time to fall is drawing near.
    Hurry now,but have no fear.
    They will try to blind you once again.
    Take this courage,take this pen.

We will not be taken by their greed.
    While so many,live in need.
    For those who care not to be pawns.

Gladrags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shamrock2004

Hi

what time is the march today and where does it start? I'm incredulous that I cannot find details of the march anywhere!

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

gladrags wrote: »
    Another Protest Era Dawns

Through the street's we march upon.
    For the future of our ilk and kind.
    As they do not pay us any mind.

Send a message loud and clear.
    Make them listen,make them hear.
    The signs are there,they will not hide.
    Behind deception,cast in lies.

Their time to fall is drawing near.
    Hurry now,but have no fear.
    They will try to blind you once again.
    Take this courage,take this pen.

We will not be taken by their greed.
    While so many,live in need.
    For those who care not to be pawns.

Gladrags

Is that from the Michael D. Higgins school of verse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The 40% makes it's way back into the supply chain. If there was no wastage it would not provide any more capacity at the resevoirs, just less of a chance of them running low during droughts. Dublin region gets 540 million litres of treated water every day. It would be foolish for whoever is in charge of supplies not to plan for a future where population and demand will continue to increase. I am really not qualified to give an opinion on the subject, over and above that observation. And I don't know anything about water supplies in Wexford, Donegal, Tipperary etc, maybe you do?

You dismissed my point comparing electricity and water supplies, but it is a fact that each town and city and their environs depend on whatever water resources can be accessed and treated locally. Unless a major project like the Dundalk one or the projected Shannon one is found to be necessary.

The Dundalk project was a massive investment. Without checking back I think most of the funding came from the EU. I for one appreciate the endless supply of good water here since, and the other massive investment which modernised the town's waste water infrastructure subsequently. A direct charge for water is not a mad idea. What was a mad idea was removing it from the funding mix in 1977 and holding that as the only correct model 40 years later.

Dundalk water comes from Lough Muckno in Castleblaney.
    The infrastructure was bought and paid for by us, the taxpayers at the time.
    It is the same kind of bought and paid for schemes throughout the country.
    The only remaining problems seems to be with the water losses from old pipes which should and could have been paid for with the Property Tax through the existing councils instead of setting up this IW quango.
    There was no need for Irish Water to be set up at all.
    It is just another quango to look after the friends, failed politicians and supporters of FG. Look at the numbers of directors. IW will of course be privatised in a few years and the people know that and are not having it.

Like many I have no problem contributing a fair price for good water but not the IW cash cow. I also wonder why many posters on here staunchly support anything FG throw at us and continue to compare us to other European countries yet ignore the high levels of USC, VRT, VAT, Levies etc etc that we have and other countries don't have while making those comparisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Sinn fein have the privatisation of water charges in their manefesto.

They agree with water charges but gullable people jump on the bandwagon.

You misunderstand me. Its not about whether Sf are in favour of anything. Its about the sucker punch their election would deliver to the main parties, the ones who have had a monopoly on our allegiance for decades.
    Put it like this: FF ruin the country. Fg come to power and Enda swears that this is a turning point in Irish politics. The days of back scratching and brown envelopes are over. It has to be because of where this culture has brought us to, he says. One of the changes he pledges, just as an example, is pay caps....then FG are amongst the first to exceed the caps.

What the **** does it take!!!!!!

Im talking about literally throwing a spanner in the works even if things get worse for a time.
    Screw us up with The Troika over the Irish Water thing
    Screw us up by electing SF
    Take us down a back alley and **** us over
    Then maybe....just maybe there will be change...

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

Hi

what time is the march today and where does it start? I'm incredulous that I cannot find details of the march anywhere!

thanks

Where are you based?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

chicorytip wrote: »
    Get these anarchists off our streets ! The usual left wing,anti-austerity,anti-social,mostly unemployed cohort augmented by Sinn Fein youth wing yobbos. Tomorrows mooted "protests" will,in all likelihood,result in one pathetic damp squib.The majority of us who willingly pay for our utilities subjected,yet again,to the bleatings of those who refuse to pay for anything.

Or the bleatings of someone who, like me is deemed fair game to, for example, be expected to pay a tax for having the drive and work ethic to save, work bloody hard and eventually afford to build my own house.
    And I get screwed for it.
    The Water thing is the last straw. Im taxed enough.
    Scrap the household insult tax and I'll pay for my water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I moved from Ireland a few years ago but I daily follow the news etc in Ireland. Where I live, I pay for water and also council tax (rates).

I must say that looking in on this whole debacle, it is somewhat embarrassing.

You dont want to pay high taxes, you dont want to pay for services and then bitch and moan about the crap services.

IRELAND, GROW UP. BUNCH OF BABIES....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mpearce

Hi

thanks

+1 on this.

Intend to go to the dublin central protest today and like the above poster am also finding it difficult to find details.

Shame with so many people predicted to attend that clearer details aren't available.

Read on thejournal.ie that north side and south side protests are due to meet and proceed to the GPO - based on a reader comment.

Would be useful if there was clear "official" details of what/times/etc. is planned

Muir wrote: »
    Where are you based?

city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

mpearce wrote: »
    +1 on this.

Intend to go to the dublin central protest today and like the above poster am also finding it difficult to find details.

Shame with so many people predicted to attend that clearer details aren't available.

Read on thejournal.ie that north side and south side protests are due to meet and proceed to the GPO - based on a reader comment.

Would be useful if there was clear "official" details of what/times/etc. is planned

There's a group meeting at Connolly Station at 2pm and another group meeting at Heuston at 2pm. Both marching along the quays and meeting at the GPO. There are also local groups around Dublin, some of which will march to town to meet the bigger groups and some who are going to march locally. There are a group from Dublin Central meeting on the North Circular Road at 1pm and marching in then.
    Most of the details seem to be on Facebook so if people don't use it it's harder to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mpearce wrote: »
    +1 on this.

http://www.right2water.ie/events

I moved from Ireland a few years ago but I daily follow the news etc in Ireland. Where I live, I pay for water and also council tax (rates).

You dont want to pay high taxes, you dont want to pay for services and then bitch and moan about the crap services.

stop trolling you bell end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That's just it.
    The taxes are high regardless of the poor services :rolleyes:
    Wouldn't mind paying the same as they pay in England and getting the same services though.

stop trolling you bell end

That's exactly the type of immaturity I am alluding to.

List of locations and times here: http://www.right2water.ie/events

Checked the date is correct this time, just for CJ ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mpearce

Muir wrote: »
    There's a group meeting at Connolly Station at 2pm and another group meeting at Heuston at 2pm. Both marching along the quays and meeting at the GPO. There are also local groups around Dublin, some of which will march to town to meet the bigger groups and some who are going to march locally. There are a group from Dublin Central meeting on the North Circular Road at 1pm and marching in then.
    Most of the details seem to be on Facebook so if people don't use it it's harder to find.

Thanks for the reply. That's the most clear information I have managed to find so far on the Dublin based marches.

And am not a Facebook user so it's a pity that all these details aren't collated on right2water.ie/events

Thanks for the update anyhow and hope the turnout will be even bigger than predicted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Its not that simple simpleton.
    I'll pay for water.
    I wont pay for Politicians mates being handed jobs they are unqualified for simply because their parents donate money.
    I wont pay for Denbis O'Briens life style
    I wont pay for bonuses when most peoples wages are going down
    I wont pay for politicians lavish expenses.
    I wont pay for the gambling debts of others.
    Thats just a few of the things my Water rates wont be used for.

That's exactly the type of immaturity I am alluding to.

Just another person who is happy to extoll the virtues of living abroad. We've heard it all before. We don't care about where you live and what the governmental policies are. Why aren't you back working in Ireland if you support inordinate levels of tax?

I give you immaturity...

Just another person who is happy to extoll the virtues of living abroad. We've heard it all before. We don't care about where you live and what the governmental policies are. Why aren't you back working in Ireland if you support inordinate levels of tax?

You clearly care enough to reply.

I am all up for civil disobedience etc but in reality it will achieve nothing. You will still vote in the same gombeens at the next election. Going around in circles.

The Irish political system and country is toothless until it starts to emabrace a technocratic society. It still reverts to the same old tired and failed socialist ideology of the early 20th century. You can tell the usual suspects out on their soap box. Tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

You clearly care enough to reply.

I am all up for civil disobedience etc but in reality it will achieve nothing. You will still vote in the same gombeens at the next election. Going around in circles.

The Irish political system and country is toothless until it starts to emabrace a technocratic society. It still reverts to the same old tired and failed socialist ideology of the early 20th century. You can tell the usual suspects out on their soap box. Tedious.

You're in the wrong thread,here you go: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057313463

• Advertisement

Its not that simple simpleton.
    I'll pay for water.
    I wont pay for Politicians mates being handed jobs they are unqualified for simply because their parents donate money.
    I wont pay for Denbis O'Briens life style
    I wont pay for bonuses when most peoples wages are going down
    I wont pay for politicians lavish expenses.
    I wont pay for the gambling debts of others.
    Thats just a few of the things my Water rates wont be used for.

You are already paying and have been for years.

It's Ireland, what do you expect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement