Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,223 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

...and you believed it? Shame on you.

What will the slow learners realise that the politicians do not run the country and (I hate to use this expression) they are all the same. Interested in two things- 1. getting elected and 2. staying elected.

It's not going to change until people with real proven abilities are elected. Instead we just have a rabble of former teachers, lawyers with huge egos, a local wheeler dealers.

Let's put this in context, nearly 50% of German politicians have Phds. In other words experienced highly educated people are running the country...and very well by all accounts.

In lot of places on Ireland, that sort of experience or education would actually be your death knell. You have 'notions' or some sort of elitist lefty hairy liberal. So we stick to local two bit auctioneer/farmer/ 'business man'/ tool hire guy- non threatening

People that can barely write their own name but sure they're sound out and didn't they get a massive grant for the local GAA pitch?

That's the problem. We elect 'politicians' for the national parliament based on local concerns. Never going to work.

never going to happen. Remember the cafe bar licencing that got shot down. It happened because 1/3 of FF backbenchers are publicans. And that's because we have so many TD's. When you ask some country constituency to elect someone it's probably going to be the local publican or teacher. they are the most prominent people in a small constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

VinLieger wrote: »
    Just saw this article in the journal about all the fires that the fire brigade had to put out last night

http://www.thejournal.ie/halloween-dublin-fire-brigade-calls-1756967-Nov2014/?utm_source=facebook_short

It got me thinking I wonder how many of the people involved with setting those fires will also be out protesting paying for water today after being involved in wasting god knows how many litres last night

They will be the ones wearing the halloween masks.

Ask a stupid question...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

With so many sporadic marches who will give the figures other than the organisers?

I Fully expect RTE to do a St Patrick Day type of coverage ,reporting from all over the country and the figures are going to be hard to manipulate one way or the other. We'll be able to judge for ourselves IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Grayson wrote: »
    never going to happen. Remember the cafe bar licencing that got shot down. It happened because 1/3 of FF backbenchers are publicans. And that's because we have so many TD's. When you ask some country constituency to elect someone it's probably going to be the local publican or teacher. they are the most prominent people in a small constituency.

True. Never going to happen.

Does anyone believe that our own politicians would have got the public finances in order on their own without the Troika? I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm predicting that there will be a huge difference in the official figure and the actual figures. The Govt like these things played down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'm predicting that there will be a huge difference in the official figure and the actual figures. The Govt like these things played down.

And organisers like to inflate them.

That is their plan though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/coalitions-get-tough-threat-on-nonpayment-of-water-bills-30709459.html
    The original deadline set for registering with Irish Water passed last night but just 800,000 people had signed up - half the customer base.

The Coalition now feels it will have to adopt a 'get tough' attitude with people who don't pay their bills.

More than 100,000 people are expected to take to the streets today in one of the biggest displays of public discontent seen in recent years.

Ahead of the 93 protests taking place across the country, Tanaiste Joan Burton claimed the water charges will be "modest".

Coming under mounting pressure over the water charges, Coalition sources told the Irish Independent they are looking at "enforcing compliance on those who won't pay".

Irish Water's arsenal for making householders pay is quite limited, with reducing water pressure being the main penalty.

Within Government circles, there is a sense that 75pc of householders will certainly pay and they will want to see that others are doing the same.

"There is a concern about compliance. A family on the street paying their bill will expect the family next door to also do so," a Government source said.

Irish Water has already been told by the regulator to produce a detailed plan setting out how customers who refuse to register and pay bills will be dealt with.

Anybody who is not registered and paying their bills will not benefit from the Government's relief package.

Ms Burton confirmed last night that a social welfare payment of €100 will only be made to recipients who are paying their bills.

But the Government is also examining other methods to ensure compliance.

The experience with the household charge and property tax was a means of enforcing payment was required.

In those cases, the Revenue Commissioners ultimately deducted unpaid bills from wages or social welfare payments. Irish Water does not have the same powers. The utility company can send warning letters, reduce water pressure and go to court.

But there are concerns about widespread refusals to pay.

The original deadline to register your household with Irish Water ran out yesterday but it has been extended to the end of November.

The company has to be submit a Revenue Assurance Plan to the Regulator before Christmas, outling how it will ensure that all payments are collected.

It comes because the Commission for Energy Regulation is concerned that paying customers will end up footing the bill for objectors.

The CER told Irish Water it must collect all "appropriate revenues" so that the "general customer does not fund non-payment".

Collection rates will be monitored and kept under review.

Irish Water has powers to restrict the supply to people's homes and reduce pressure to only allow for basic sanitation and drinking water.

Difficulty

The company will have to make repeated efforts to help families in financial difficulty pay their bills. But in cases of non-cooperation, they can take people to court where the outstanding bill will be registered as a charge against the property.

This means the home cannot be sold until the debt is discharged. Sheriffs can also be asked to seize goods in lieu of non-payment.

Currently, the company is owed between €100m to €130m from commercial customers who refuse to pay. However, local authorities are currently responsible for collecting the outstanding monies.

Irish Water is expected to take control of revenue collection from commercial customers from next year.

As revealed in yesterday's Irish Independent, the social welfare relief will only be made to those who are paying their bills. "There is a some feeling within the system that water support should be linked to payment," a Government source said.

Ms Burton said the €100 social welfare payment will be made to eligible householders "assuming that they pay their charges".

The Government is working out how to link the benefit to the bills. "It would have to be in cash. We just haven't finalised that yet," she said.

Ms Burton admitted the timeline for setting up Irish Water was "very ambitious".

"What people want is certainty about the level of charges and those charges are affordable and appropriate," she said.

Irish Independent

More threats by the coalition.Wrong day for this in my opinion.Just saw on one of the papers this morning that they are considering using Revenue to collect payments..So now this "not a new tax" has suddenly become a "new tax" exactly like the property tax.

Did someone in government not say that PPS numbers were only required to receive your free allowance..So now if you give them your PPS number its possible its going to Revenue to collect your payment.

Never mind water charges--this government needs to go now and not in 2016.

To think I voted Labour and Fg in the last election. Next time they knock on my door it`ll be "fun"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭tigger123

I fully expect RTE to brush the protests under the carpet by saying a group of anarchists caused unnecessary traffic disruption to citizens wishing to go about their lawful business.

Total nonsense. Why would RTE take any other approach other than reporting what happened. There's tonnes of independent media in the country to ensure objective reporting, which would expose any kind of bias.

Just because the marches are important to you doesn't mean they should get wall to wall media coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

RTE works in the interest of the state not the public. They will always tow the establishment party line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I want free potatoes. They're natural. They grow in the ground. Food is a basic human right. Why should I have to pay for potatoes? I'm refusing to pay for potatoes. The government should deliver potatoes to everyone's kitchens, instead of the way it has been privatised for the benefit of farmers and shopkeepers. What do I pay my taxes for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

I want free potatoes. They're natural. They grow in the ground. Food is a basic human right. Why should I have to pay for potatoes? I'm refusing to pay for potatoes. The government should deliver potatoes to everyone's kitchens, instead of the way it has been privatised for the benefit of farmers and shopkeepers. What do I pay my taxes for?

You pay your taxes to have services such as water etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,042 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Hellrazer wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/water/coalitions-get-tough-threat-on-nonpayment-of-water-bills-30709459.html

More threats by the coalition.Wrong day for this in my opinion.Just saw on one of the papers this morning that they are considering using Revenue to collect payments..So now this "not a new tax" has suddenly become a "new tax" exactly like the property tax.

Did someone in government not say that PPS numbers were only required to receive your free allowance..So now if you give them your PPS number its possible its going to Revenue to collect your payment.

Never mind water charges--this government needs to go now and not in 2016.

To think I voted Labour and Fg in the last election. Next time they knock on my door it`ll be "fun"

No let them run until 2016. I can't see any way that they will do a Bertie/Biffo by winning three elections and ruling for 14 years. Their policies simply are not popular enough. What we need are popular policies like the Bertie years or the famous 1977 FF plan which made everything free. That got the biggest majority in the history of the State.

Of course if in 1977 we had kept the domestic rates system inherited by both North and South we would not need to have separate bin charges and water charges now. The North retained the system and their property tax (very high property tax) covers both of those services.

Today's marches are a sort of a throwback to the PAYE marches which I remember. After abolishing domestic rates FF jacked income tax up to ridiculous rates to cover the shortfall. So the people revolted and the tax rates came down. Which is mostly the reason since that the country relies so much on borrowing to fund water services.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭twinytwo

nothing to stop you growing them:pac:

tigger123 wrote: »
    Total nonsense. Why would RTE take any other approach other than reporting what happened. There's tonnes of independent media in the country to ensure objective reporting, which would expose any kind of bias.

Just because the marches are important to you doesn't mean they should get wall to wall media coverage.

because they are going to be recieving all of the broadcasting charge or whatever they are calling it these days..from the government

• Registered Users Posts: 18,035 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

hju6 wrote: »
    You pay your taxes to have services such as water etc

Correction we paid taxes some of which used to go to pay for water, it doesn't anymore.

Also what about public transport? Our taxes already go towards funding it yet we still have to pay every time we use it why aren't we complaining we pay for that twice as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,042 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You have to pay for Sky water. They are not a charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Correction we paid taxes some of which used to go to pay for water, it doesn't anymore.

Also what about public transport? Our taxes already go towards funding it yet we still have to pay every time we use it why aren't we complaining we pay for that twice as well?

So what paid for the setting up of IW ?

papu wrote: »
    This.

we already pay for water though... would you pay for spuds 2/3 times? i dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

You can have free potatoes ,Once you pay taxes on Chips and Mash , Oh and a extra levy on any soup related product.

twinytwo wrote: »
    because they are going to be recieving all of the broadcasting charge or whatever they are calling it these days..from the government

Not buying it. RTE criticizes the Government and State bodies and agencies all the time. And besides, like I said before, it will be covered by independent media.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,035 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

hju6 wrote: »
    So what paid for the setting up of IW ?

What paid for the setting of of Iarnroid eireann, dublin bus, the dart, the luas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

we already pay for water though... would you pay for spuds 2/3 times? i dont think so

You put money aside for potatoes but you spent it on drink and fags. Now the grocer is looking for you to settle your tab.

Some people pay for water, some do not. And nobody gives a damn how much they use so it costs those that do pay much more than it should.

Can anyone explain the talk around a flat fee instead of a metered charge? Joan Bruton mentioned something about it in an IT article I read earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Unearth a few stories about money spent on spuds or bus fares going towards looking after the mates and cash donors of politicians and see if people start to complain. This is what Im objecting to. Not the paying for water. Fix that and Im in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement