Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

Why are todays marches were on at different times? Is it so that people can attend more than one. Therefore the figures will not be accurate.

Listening to the news there and the impression I got was the earlier timed marches are meeting up with each other, probably meet up time is 2pm to coincide which the other protests around the country.

I heading off to my local march now.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

twinytwo wrote: »
    But they want us to pay, large amounts of water for what is a ****e service...
    I'm sure you mean money. :)

But my point is that we pay for it anyway.

And if there is a dedicated body charged with providing water and who bill explicitly then I think there will be more focus on them to improve the infrastructure? As you point out, with our current structure, almost nothing is done.

But we do pay for it. Either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

At Galway protest. Large Sinn Fein element. One guy has big Irish flag showing guns and slogan Tiochfaidh ar La. Hardly helpful.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I've tried to summon the strength to be involved in anti-austerity marches since the start of the recession but everything I want to show support for gets hijacked by the Shinners or the Bearded Wonders, well those people won't speak in my name so I'm forced to stay home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Why are todays marches were on at different times? Is it so that people can attend more than one. Therefore the figures will not be accurate.

I know. The one in Donegal is on at 1 while the one in Cork is at 1.30. Gonna be a tight squeeze landing all those planes in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,042 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I will be going to the parade later. The victory parade by the Dundalk team, League Champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Because the taxpayer is already overburdened.
    They should have left it with the councils and put a nominal charge on it instead of setting up another overpaid quango of the elite. AND we all know it will be privatized in a few years too.
    We have had enough.

But this reduces the burden on the taxpayer, by making taxpayer and non-taxpayer pay for their share.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'm sure you mean money. :)

But my point is that we pay for it anyway.

And if there is a dedicated body charged with providing water and who bill explicitly then I think there will be more focus on them to improve the infrastructure? As you point out, with our current structure, almost nothing is done.

But we do pay for it. Either way.

Don't have a problem with paying for water as such, it's the bonuses, and gyms, and non performers that were parachuted in from the LA's, and the excessive expenses, and all that goes with it that I'm not prepared to pay for.

What are they paying bonuses for, they've done NOTHING so far other than spend someone else's money on a load of things that have nothing to do with fixing the leaks or improving the service. Why do they need a gym, they're there to work, not get fit at our expense and on our dollar! Totally wrong priorities and wrong attitude.

IW is performing well as another bloated overstaffed inefficient overpaid quango that is more interested in it's bonus and perks culture than it is in responding to customers.

I don't want to pay for that, not now, not ever, and the sooner the political elite and the Golden Circle get that message, the better for all of us.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I know. The one in Donegal is on at 1 while the one in Cork is at 1.30. Gonna be a tight squeeze landing all those planes in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Maybe we should film the officials who visit us to ask why we haven't paid the tax. It would be similar to the TV licencing goon videos on YouTube.

Water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink.

Congratulations on getting that oft misquoted quotation correct. Here is another one. All that glisters in not gold.

branie2 wrote: »
    Maybe we should film the officials who visit us to ask why we haven't paid the tax. It would be similar to the TV licencing goon videos on YouTube.

Make sure to ask them for their warrant of authority and give only your clan name.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

lol.. people trying to downplay figures and discredit protests before they've even started

Kinda pathetic really, but not in the least bit surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Crowds in kildare st heading to meet main march at GPO

• Registered Users Posts: 16,223 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Don't have a problem with paying for water as such, it's the bonuses, and gyms, and non performers that were parachuted in from the LA's, and the excessive expenses, and all that goes with it that I'm not prepared to pay for.

What are they paying bonuses for, they've done NOTHING so far other than spend someone else's money on a load of things that have nothing to do with fixing the leaks or improving the service. Why do they need a gym, they're there to work, not get fit at our expense and on our dollar! Totally wrong priorities and wrong attitude.

IW is performing well as another bloated overstaffed inefficient overpaid quango that is more interested in it's bonus and perks culture than it is in responding to customers.

I don't want to pay for that, not now, not ever, and the sooner the political elite and the Golden Circle get that message, the better for all of us.

I work in the private sector. My building has a gym. It's not unusual in the private sector and they try to ensure that the public sector matches the private sector.

I agree with you on metering. One way or another we're paying for a water supply. metering is the fairest way to charge.

And I agree with you on the incompetence in IW.

But I feel that a lot of the protesters today just want free water. The incompetence etc is just a secondary issue. What they really want is an end to the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,223 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

lol.. people trying to downplay figures and discredit protests before they've even started

Kinda pathetic really, but not in the least bit surprising.

It's a valid question though even if it's a hypothesis that's not founded on evidence. Surely it would have made sense to hold them all at the same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

gladrags wrote: »
    Crowds in kildare st heading to meet main march at GPO

Looks like a group of poor people out for an organised stroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Are we getting a first bill that no matter how much we use bill will be the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Strangely enough the rain has kept many away from the protest in town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

But this reduces the burden on the taxpayer, by making taxpayer and non-taxpayer pay for their share.

You should run for office :)

No offence intended - but there is not a single taxpayer in Ireland who is going to see their tax burden reduced with the introduction of Irish Water. Not one. We'll keep paying the same tax we paid before *and* we will pay for water that we use.

It's like when my wife goes shopping and she leads in with, 'Look at all the money I saved! This was all on sale!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Xenji wrote: »
    Strangely enough the rain has kept many away from the protest in town.

If rain is enough to discourage protesters they didn't really care very much to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Incredible scenes in O'Connell st

I have never witnessed this before.

Crowds have filtered in westmoreland st
    and along the quays

No room.

Fantastic,and it is pissing rain.

Never choose a cowards explanation,that hides behind the cause and the effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Big numbers in town today. Easily over the 100k mark already and others on the way.

Fair enough. Maybe I’m a pragmatist (or just getting cynical with age) in that I’ll accept the right thing being done the wrong way. :o

(Personally I would leave out the reference to gyms if I was making your criticisms. It seems petty and has a whiff of begrudgary about it. And it’s not as if you’re short of ammo on that front :)).

Also, as I expect you know, you are some way apart from most objectors. I don’t expect to see too many placards on the news saying “Happy to pay for water – but feck off with yere gyms!”

Just back from the march in Ashbourne, didn't join the line. Probably somewhere around 3 to 4 hundred there in the rain.

Didn't join as I'm not prepared to be counted as supporting some of the objectives of the organisers.

No Water charges. Don't agree with that, the fairest way is that the charge is directly made on usage. Simple, easy, and correct in any reasonable thinking society. If you use water provided by the system, you pay for what you use. Anyone that expects otherwise is living in a fools utopia.

Irish Water. As presently set up and managed, NO WAY, wrong structure, wrong management, wrong ethos, wrong culture, wrong emphasis.

The rest of the SF agenda? Hell will have to freeze over before I will subscribe to their agenda.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Big numbers in town today. Easily over the 100k mark already and others on the way.

Looking on cctv, looks sparse enough.

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

UCDVet wrote: »
    but there is not a single taxpayer in Ireland who is going to see their tax burden reduced with the introduction of Irish Water. Not one. We'll keep paying the same tax we paid before *and* we will pay for water that we use.
    If you are right then our deficit will be reduced a little bit further will it not?

Grayson wrote: »
    I work in the private sector. My building has a gym. It's not unusual in the private sector and they try to ensure that the public sector matches the private sector.

I agree with you on metering. One way or another we're paying for a water supply. metering is the fairest way to charge.

And I agree with you on the incompetence in IW.

But I feel that a lot of the protesters today just want free water. The incompetence etc is just a secondary issue. What they really want is an end to the charge.

The difference being that if I buy from a private sector company, I agree with the price they've set for their product before I buy, and if the company is profitable, and wants to spend some of that profit in facilities for the staff, that is their decision, If it's a semi state, I'm paying for that gym, but I can't use it, and I'm effectively also paying the running costs of that gym, and that's not what I want the money I pay for water being used for when there are much bigger and more important issues that IW should be addressing.

Also, in this case, I have no control over the way that the price of water is set for the product, and I don't like the culture that IW are operating with. The gyms are only available to a select few, and the whole ethos of the organisation is not acceptable in a modern society.

We are in complete agreement about the fallacy of wanting free water, it never happened, and is never going to, unless the system buckles again and gives in to the bribery voting system that was the failing that messed this whole structure up in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

UCDVet wrote: »
    No offence intended - but there is not a single taxpayer in Ireland who is going to see their tax burden reduced with the introduction of Irish Water. Not one. We'll keep paying the same tax we paid before *and* we will pay for water that we use.
    Apart from the tax decreases just announced in the budget... ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement