Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Hitchens wrote: »
    so does that mean they won't supply you with water without an allowance......even though you're paying for it full whack?

They will supply you water. Its just you have to supply your PPSN for any allowences.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It means that if you don't give them your PPS, you won't get any "free" allowance - not that they won't provide a service... you'll just pay for all you use

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The PPSNs are only if you have children under 17 receiving child allowance otherwise you don't need your PPSN at all. I have the form in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Hitchens

The PPSNs are only if you have children under 17 receiving child allowance otherwise you don't need your PPSN at all. I have the form in front of me.
    are you absolutely sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Hitchens wrote: »
    are you absolutely sure about that?

From what I can see in the form yes. I do not need to give my PPS number at all unless I want to get allowances for children I don't have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Hitchens

From what I can see in the form yes. I do not need to give my PPS number at all unless I want to get allowances for children I don't have.

just found this from yesterday:

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/its-time-to-get-your-head-around-water-charges-30602111.html

Why am I being asked for my PPS number in the Irish Water application form?

You are being asked for your PPS number to verify your identity and to allow you to apply for your free water allowance. You must also provide the PPS numbers of any children on whose behalf your applying for the water allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

The form requires a PPSN for the household allowance as well.

chasm wrote: »

If you're a family of 4 adults, then only one PPS Number. If you're a family of 2 adults and 2 children under 18, then one adults PPS Number and one for each of the children.

If you're a family of 4 adults, then only one PPS Number. If you're a family of 2 adults and 2 children under 18, then one adults PPS Number and one for each of the children.

I was replying to the previous poster who said you didn't have to provide a ppsn unless you were applying for the allowance for children - the household allowance is not given if the person filling in the form does not provide a ppsn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

How do they verify these pps numbers are even in the country?
    I could get a few from families that have since move to Oz or Poland if I wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Taken from welfare.ie
    Q10. When should I not use my PPS No.?

A 100 . You should not use your PPS Number or Social Services Card in ordinary commercial transactions. For example, the number or the Social Services Card should not be requested by or given to a retailer as proof of identity or for any other reason when making a purchase, availing of a hiring service etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

I'm not normally of these "stick it it to the man", Freeman type people, but I seriously disagree with these water charges.

We've always had water, which was paid for through our taxes. TBH, I wouldn't even have mind if they increased our taxes a bit to go towards water, but no, now a whole new company has been set up, which just at the consultation stage has cost millions. How much more then will it cost to pay the wages of 4000 staff and rent and overheads of a business premises, just for us to get the same service we've always had? Had they just to increase our taxes, there might be some hope that further down the line that taxes could be cut again, but Irish Water are here to stay.

All the while we're not even going to get a any kind of reduction in our tax, even though it no longer covers water.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'm not normally of these "stick it it to the man", Freeman type people, but I seriously disagree with these water charges.

We've always had water, which was paid for through our taxes. TBH, I wouldn't even have mind if they increased our taxes a bit to go towards water, but no, now a whole new company has been set up, which just at the consultation stage has cost millions. How much more then will it cost to pay the wages of 4000 staff and rent and overheads of a business premises, just for us to get the same service we've always had? Had they just to increase our taxes, there might be some hope that further down the line that taxes could be cut again, but Irish Water are here to stay.

All the while we're not even going to get a any kind of reduction in our tax, even though it no longer covers water.

Of course we have always had water charges paid for through our taxes. But if you mean that it has always been income tax / VAT which paid for water that is not the case. For the first 50 odd years of the State the tax was in the form of local rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

when all the leaks are fixed will the water charges cease?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Armelodie wrote: »
    when all the leaks are fixed will the water charges cease?

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭Sarn

The data harvesting put forward by IW is annoying me. In my case as I live in an unmetered property I will be paying a fixed charge, therefore I don't see the need to supply my PPSN. Surely if I pay the charge for the property does it really matter if I am who I say I am? I don't need to prove my identity when getting electricity. If there was an allowance per adult then I could see the need for identifying individuals, in the absence of this why request it?

In addition, as I am renting I am reluctant to give too much information as I would rather minimise the potential for incorrect billing when I move.

My 'information pack' arrived on Friday.

It had my full name (including middle name) and address. I'm curious as to where Irish Water got my details from tbh. I know some folk have said theirs was addressed to 'the occupier/home owner' etc.

Seems there's been some data sharing going on already.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My 'information pack' arrived on Friday.

It had my full name (including middle name) and address. I'm curious as to where Irish Water got my details from tbh. I know some folk have said theirs was addressed to 'the occupier/home owner' etc.

Seems there's been some data sharing going on already.

Mine was the same, I was curious too how they got it. Think it's from the LPT database

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Stheno wrote: »
    Mine was the same, I was curious too how they got it. Think it's from the LPT database

So would that not be a breach of the data protection then?

• Advertisement

Smidge wrote: »
    So would that not be a breach of the data protection then?

That's the thought that occurred to me.

Some folk would be in uproar if the likes of sky, meteor, ESB etc obtained your details from a Govt agency.

This Govt are more sneaky and corrupt than FF ever were. They'll stop at nothing to bleed you dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭rameire

could be from here

The Register of Electors
    section of page
    The Electoral Register and direct marketing

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

rameire wrote: »
    could be from here

The Register of Electors
    section of page

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/elections_and_referenda/voting/registering_to_vote.html

So they'd be breaking the law if that's where they got it from
    It is an offence for an organisation/commercial body to contact someone from the full electoral register for direct marketing purposes. This was set down in law under Section 32 of the Electoral (Amendment) Act 2001. Find out more about how to deal with unsolicited direct marketing material in Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

rameire wrote: »
    could be from here

The Register of Electors
    section of page

Nope my address on the electoral register is completely different to the address I use each day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭rameire

So they'd be breaking the law if that's where they got it from

thats why they use the edited one for marketing as mentioned in that same area of the page you quoted

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

That's the thought that occurred to me.

Some folk would be in uproar if the likes of sky, meteor, ESB etc obtained your details from a Govt agency.

This Govt are more sneaky and corrupt than FF ever were. They'll stop at nothing to bleed you dry.

The country will never be dry when it is spending 12 times as much on alcohol as the water charge will raise. And those lovely Fianna Fail people brought in the USC which you are always going on about.

Lots of faux outrage about data protection. It doesn't seem to bother people when they are applying to get some of the taxpayers money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

So where exactly did IW get all of these details then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

But if you mean that it has always been income tax / VAT which paid for water that is not the case. For the first 50 odd years of the State the tax was in the form of local rates.

Before there were lpt, Fire Service call out charges, bin charges and deals with dirty dennis?

Yeah. I remember that.

cajonlardo wrote: »
    Before there were lpt, Fire Service call out charges, bin charges and deals with dirty dennis?

Yeah. I remember that.

No, before that again. Service charges only came in when the expirement to fund everything from income tax and VAT failed.

• Advertisement

The country will never be dry when it is spending 12 times as much on alcohol as the water charge will raise.

We have among the highest taxed alcohol in Europe. So maybe that explains that.
    And those lovely Fianna Fail people brought in the USC which you are always going on about.

Didn't they sign us up for lpt and water charges too, as instructed by the troika, FG love attempting to take the credit though.
    Lots of faux outrage about data protection. It doesn't seem to bother people when they are applying to get some of the taxpayers money.

Any examples :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement