Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

cajonlardo wrote: »

Tell you what.
    Why don't all you lot go ahead and organise a Pro Water Charge March. When you get tens of thousands marching we might take notice of something you say.

One of the best replies I've read on boards.ie.. Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    So how many people turned up? 100k?

Nationally, a lot more than that

Perhaps 180-200k nationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Even taking your vastly inflated figures at face value, that means 4.3 million people got on with their normal Saturday. The people have spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

VinLieger wrote: »
    Nobody is pro water charges, of course I don't want to pay for water or anything else I just have enough cop on to understand that we have to otherwise in 10-20 years we will all be on boil water notices and living with third world standards of water infrastructure.

Have heard this been stated a lot of times, But can someone please point out or provide me with a link to a specific plan of action /a charter of work actually outlining Irish waters infrastructure improvement plans ,something in writing giving places ,times and dates where work will actually start And Not these vague statements been banned around by them and the Government saying the money will be used for this and that ,
    LOOKING FOR HARD COLD FACTS..

Otherwise I think Mick Wallace is right in saying it's a lot of money just to set up a billing service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,834 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Beaner1 wrote: »
    I have a pro water charges facebook group that's doing well.

Can you post the link up?

I'm not on facebook but i'm sure a lot of the pro water and anti water people on here might find it interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

hmmm wrote: »
    Even taking your vastly inflated figures at face value, that means 4.3 million people got on with their normal Saturday. The people have spoken.

There aren't 4.3 million bill payers or houses in Ireland.

There aren't 4.3 million bill payers or houses in Ireland.

How many of those who marched today are house owning bill payers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Didn't make it today, missed a connecting flight and am only leaving Dublin airport now. :mad:

Looks like a great turn-out, fairplay to all involved.

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    But can someone please point out or provide me with a link to a specific plan of action /a charter of work actually outlining Irish waters infrastructure improvement plans

Dept of Environ site has some white papers & objectives for long term stuff.

Like 20% leakage reduction etc..... But they've never had the cash to tackle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Nobody is pro water charges, of course I don't want to pay for water or anything else I just have enough cop on to understand that we have to otherwise in 10-20 years we will all be on boil water notices and living with third world standards of water infrastructure.

What on earth has that to do with whether or not Mary Lou was entitled to march? Don't bother answering, tbh I could care less what Mary Lou gets up to.

I've news for you. You are almost certainly not more intelligent than 100,00 who marched. They understand water processing has to be funded. Their difficulty lies in O'Brien , Cronies and Subterfuge in the setting up of I.W. They have difficulty understanding why a disabled person with adult college going children gets the same allowance as a single millionaire....
    Whole setup is rotten to the core and Enda and Co got it seriously wrong when they thought it would be swallowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Bollox

If there was a real intent to rationalise and modernise a fundamental resource,it could have been achieved without taxing the usual sources.

Levy the financial institutions,namely the banks,to fund the modernisation of the supply system.

We bailed out same,they have an obligation to society to at least,make a constructive contribution,in return.

Very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,046 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Have heard this been stated a lot of times, But can someone please point out or provide me with a link to a specific plan of action /a charter of work actually outlining Irish waters infrastructure improvement plans ,something in writing giving places ,times and dates where work will actually start And Not these vague statements been banned around by them and the Government saying the money will be used for this and that ,

Otherwise I think Mick Wallace is right in saying it's a lot of money just to set up a billing service.

The current system of completely separated LA's looking after their own patches is not helping the national infrastructure it only makes sense to bring all maintenance and planning under one roof which they are still in the process of doing. We are up to losing 40% of whatever is pumped through the pipes with the current system, maybe nothing will change with the new system but the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different outcomes so lets at ;east try something new yeah?

How many of those who marched today are house owning bill payers?

Well I am one. Majority of people I knew at my local protest are too.

What's with putting everyone down all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Nationally, a lot more than that

How many people turned up to the Dublin protest? 100k? It was about 70k the last time, I assume it's grown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

mfceiling wrote: »
    Can you post the link up?

I'm not on facebook but i'm sure a lot of the pro water and anti water people on here might find it interesting.

https://www.facebook.com/WorkersForWaterCharges

Likes are hidden as people were getting too much grief off shinners.

gladrags wrote: »
    Levy the financial institutions,namely the banks,to fund the modernisation of the supply system.
    Is your answer to everything to load taxes onto someone else? Why should anyone else (banks or otherwise) have to pay for the water you use?

Well I am one. Majority of people I knew at my local protest are too.

What's with putting everyone down all the time?

I'm simply pointing out that the VAST majority of Irish people went about their normal business today. Between 120,000 and 130,000 turned out to protest. Not bad, but NOT the majority of people.

Cork crowd 5 to 7k. Less than half the 15k who marched against public pay cuts in 2009
    People don't want to pay for water charges, but they don't want services or salaries cut either. Unless we start growing money trees it's not clear how we pay for anything.

Cork crowd 5 to 7k. Less than half the 15k who marched against public pay cuts in 2009
    People don't want to pay for water charges, but they don't want services or salaries cut either. Unless we start growing money trees it's not clear how we pay for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

That page has one person liking it.

You could possibly attract a large multi national company with a serious Revenue generating advertising campaign with such a high level of traffic.

Have you thought about that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,046 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

cajonlardo wrote: »
    What on earth has that to do with whether or not Mary Lou was entitled to march? Don't bother answering, tbh I could care less what Mary Lou gets up to.

I've news for you. You are almost certainly not more intelligent than 100,00 who marched. They understand water processing has to be funded. Their difficulty lies in O'Brien , Cronies and Subterfuge in the setting up of I.W. They have difficulty understanding why a disabled person with adult college going children gets the same allowance as a single millionaire....
    Whole setup is rotten to the core and Enda and Co got it seriously wrong when they thought it would be swallowed

And I agree however the problem is the majority of the people marching are hiding behind that and PPS number's simply cus they don't want to pay for water and your deluding yourself believing otherwise, Ireland is a nation of people who will try to get away with whatever we can without paying for it and this is a classic example

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Dept of Environ site has some white papers & objectives for long term stuff.

Like 20% leakage reduction etc..... But they've never had the cash to tackle it.

Anything from Irish Water ?

What I'm really asking is ..Is there anything in writing /Legislation that will /can force them to follow the certain path of action ,,And not just having them say they'll do this and that after they collect the money of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

+1

I'd like to see a high level project plan to see where my money is going to in the medium to long term. Dates, % of work completed, what needs to be done, and cost estimates for accountability and transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

1 like!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well there's lots of questioning of the details of how many protested where, but if you take a step back I think it would be fair to say that the appetite for public protests on this issue have way exceeded expectations.

Is there anything in writing /Legislation that will /can force them to follow the certain path of action

I don't think so.

However I'm not sure that is the norm in other countries anyway..... Its often not constructive to force politically motivated goals.

Once they have some cash & start borrowing they can spend.

No harm having service levels/investment targets in place when they do.

+1

I'd like to see a high level project plan to see where my money is going to in the medium to long term. Dates, % of work completed, what needs to be done, and cost estimates for accountability and transparency.
    This is the public sector we're talking about, of course you're not going to get that. Would you like to march in support of a protest to privatise IW and put some real targets in place, because I'd join you in that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

hmmm wrote: »
    Is your answer to everything to load taxes onto someone else? Why should anyone else (banks or otherwise) have to pay for the water you use?

Why should the banks(that we own and have subsidised),not contribute to society.Instead of profiteering at every turn.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

If the alternative is higher income tax and PAYE or not reducing USC further then fcuk that, bring in these charges.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement