Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

We've been here before. Facebook groups, marches, indignant knackers telling us that the tide has turned.
    Have a goo at the compliance there. It took a while but the majority had its say.

http://nohouseholdtax.org/
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/press/2014/pr-180714-lpt-compliance.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

This post has been deleted.

Weird how thank my last post then proceed to call marchers peasants. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Have they no shame. So this next march will be 100% dole scum and senile OAPS.

Well I'm taking a day off work for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This post has been deleted.

Doubt he's laughing about anything tonight ;)
    When asked about party leaders, Enda Kenny is the least popular with 67% saying they are "Dissatisfied" with him as Taoiseach

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1101/656305-poll-politics/

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Finally an accurate picture from a witness.

Yes I am a witness too and I saw ordinary decent people marching m marking their voice heard

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I saw what I saw.

Between 3k and 5k marching in Dublin and a crowd comprised of Sinn Fein / left voters.

It was not a disparate group. People waving Dublin GAA and smoking rolled cigarettes.

I don't mean to sound like Ross O'Carroll-Kelly but I'd say that the average income level and education level was pretty low.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

We've been here before. Facebook groups, marches, indignant knackers telling us that the tide has turned.
    Have a goo at the compliance there. It took a while but the majority had its say.

Revenue got involved and dipped into people's pockets.Thankfully IW can't do that as much as you'd like it.

That's like saying that if 50000 people went to Lansdowne Rd for an Ireland match to support their country, the other 4.5 million or so didn't hope the team won

120,000 people across 90 plus marches shows the public sentiment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Cuttlefish wrote: »
    Yes I am a witness too and I saw ordinary decent people marching m marking their voice heard

Ordinary decent people mainly, but not a cross section of society.

The people I saw were working class / lower working class. There's nothing wrong with that, but they do not represent the nation as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

That's like saying that if 50000 people went to Lansdowne Rd for an Ireland match to support their country, the other 4.5 million or so didn't hope the team won

No it's not.

No it doesn't.

There is and always has been a silent majority of people who aren't interested (and that isn't to say unaffected) by the issues of the day. It's a characteristic of a mature state.

Now I wasn't at a protest, and I don't necessarily agree with water charges given what is already paid by low income people, but that doesn't mean that the claimed "150,000" people represent the other 4,350,000.

It's like saying - as many here do - that SF and various AAA politicians and independents are representatives of the people. They just aren't, and they're not fascist, blueshirted gombeens either. They're ordinary people facing the very same challenges as others but with a lot more dignity and grace then some others, namely...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbpWYukqsFonxYxv2tF7tlQ

• Advertisement

I saw what I saw.

Between 3k and 5k marching in Dublin and a crowd comprised of Sinn Fein / left voters.

It was not a disparate group. People waving Dublin GAA and smoking rolled cigarettes.

I don't mean to sound like Ross O'Carroll-Kelly but I'd say that the average income level and education level was pretty low.

For somebody who is anti protest,you seem to have a very intimate knowledge of those taking part.:rolleyes:

I saw what I saw.

Well you do sound like him and you should be ashamed of yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I saw the march on the quays today.

First of all, the number were small relative to what was expected (3,000 to 5,000 I'd say).

Second of all, it was not what you'd call a disparate group. Everybody looked lower working class. Nobody looked like they had a job. There were a lot of people waving Dublin GAA flags. I saw no professional or middle class people at all. But then they work Monday to Friday to pay for those who were marching to live their lives...

Seriously....whether you agree with water charges or not, this has to be one of the stupidest posts in the entire history of the internet!!

Fair play to you that you can base a person's social standing or employment status just by looking at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Less of the inflammatory general comments about protesters and equally to those who didn't protest. They are only be used to get a rise at this stage.

Fair warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Pretty pathetic turnout today.
    Ironically the water kept people away.

Looks like the Government will be breathing a big sigh of relief tonight.

Wonder will the protests planned for December even go ahead at all?
    I predict they won't.

More wonders and crystal balls.

No substance.

No enlightenment.

Just stagnant vitriol.

The people I saw were working class / lower working class. There's nothing wrong with that, but they do not represent the nation as a whole.

I saw what I saw and it was a representation and fair one at that.

You really look down on people don't you?

No it shows the sentiment of the 120,000 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I thought you said that you can't send links on your intranet ?

No it shows the sentiment of the 120,000 people.

And where is your sentiment?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Fair play to everyone who marched but I really don't see IW being stopped because of it. The arrogance of Enda and his cronies is unreal, they'll hope it'll just blow over. The cynic in me is envisaging another go at gerry Adams in the media over the coming days. (I'm not a sf supporter but felt there was a huge agenda in the Maria Cahall story with Enda wading in)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

How do you know?

Who are the "lower working class"?

Those who sustain you're way of life.

The priviliged.?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Its obvious there's a campaign to undermine and insult all marchers as Sinn Fein, communist, lefty, social welfare grabbing, tax cheating, lower class wasters to society when most are simply law abiding and hard working citizens. It is not working. The movement is growing. Fair play to all who marched. Keep it going.
    How many people protested in Dublin? I ask because it was around 70k the last time and I assume from your comments it must have grown.

I don't want national numbers thank you, just the one in Dublin.

There are some posters on this thread that need to look in the mirror - classing people who march as of lower social standing than themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I saw what I saw.

Hmmm I think you saw what you wanted to see. I took part in the march and I do not fit the demographics you mention and neither did quite a number of the people around me marching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    How many people protested in Dublin? I ask because it was around 70k the last time and I assume from your comments it must have grown.

I don't want national numbers thank you, just the one in Dublin.

City centre was around or less than 10K

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The main picture on the RTÉ website of the protest is of woman with a "Keep a Fluride out" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

2000 people protested in Castlebar today, thought there would be more with the hate figure Enda has become in the town.

City centre was around or less than 10K

You forgot to count the other 30 or so protests around Dublin.

And where is your sentiment?

Not with the 120,000.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Pro Irish water lads, this poster is doing no favours for your cause.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement