Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,046 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Smidge wrote: »
    “One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”

Martin Luther King said that

What was his opinion on property tax and water charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

“One has not only a legal, but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.”

Martin Luther King said that

And how do you distinguish between an unjust law and one you just don't agree with?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Question for those marching: what happens now? What do you think the government will actually do in response?

Personally. If they actually bring about the changes they promised...you inow the ones... An end to 'schleeveen politics', nepotism, entitlement, jobs for the boys/donors, OTT expenses, bonuses yadda yadda then they may earn the good will and respect of the people they expect to dig this country out of the hole its in. Til then **** em. Im not paying for their life style.
    I'll pay for water when this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Second of all, it was not what you'd call a disparate group. Everybody looked lower working class. Nobody looked like they had a job. There were a lot of people waving Dublin GAA flags. I saw no professional or middle class people at all. But then they work Monday to Friday to pay for those who were marching to live their lives...

Were you not put back in your box when you tried to peddle this headbanger guff after the last protest?

Maybe that was some other mentalist :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭66ad

donvito99 wrote: »
    They'll put a tax on air next, Joe!

Already been done with carbon tax.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

In my understanding of law abiding you have to abide by the law. Even if it a new law from a government which you oppose.

Apartheid, just as an example, was legal.

Personally. If they actually bring about the changes they promised...you inow the ones... An end to 'schleeveen politics', nepotism, entitlement, jobs for the boys/donors, OTT expenses, bonuses yadda yadda then they may earn the good will and respect of the people they expect to dig this country out of the hole its in. Til then **** em. Im not paying for their life style.
    I'll pay for water when this happens.

Yadda yadda has gone.

Apartheid, just as an example, was legal.

Where?

I was waiting for apartheid. We now have the full set just like on the property tax threads.

Hitler and the Nazis. Slavery. Apartheid. Bingo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Dealer?

In a way i suppose yeah. And going by your post history you've contributed to my salary. I should thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Question for those marching: what happens now? What do you think the government will actually do in response?
    Clear out the top management and board members in Irish Water.
    Appoint new managers from the private sector with proven managerial experience.
    Give a date for a referendum on the non privatisation of Irish Water
    Reasonable salary for all staff but no bonuses.
    Send the surplus 2,000 workers back to the respective County Councils
    Frugal but reasonable allowance for everyone before any charges kick in.
    Remainder of usage to be charged at a higher rate to bring in required revenue.
    Edit : Get rid of the PPS number requirement unless you wish to claim a derogation
    Most importantly : Stick to your guns.
    Nobody likes a quitter.
    The charges must come in.

Clear out the top management and board members in Irish Water.
    Appoint new managers from the private sector with proven managerial experience.
    Give a date for a referendum on the non privatisation of Irish Water
    Reasonable salary for all staff but no bonuses.
    Send the surplus 2,000 workers back to the respective County Councils
    Frugal but reasonable allowance for everyone before any charges kick in.
    Remainder of usage to be charged at a higher rate to bring in required revenue.
    Most importantly : Stick to your guns.
    Nobody likes a quitter.
    The charges must come in.

Bit of a problem there. Managers in the private sector would not get out of bed for the sort of money IW pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

I was waiting for apartheid. We now have the full set just like on the property tax threads.

You are making yourself look even more foolish.
    You asked for an example(I wasn't even going to bother as I knew you'd just do your usual blather)and were given a fine example.

I feel sorry for people who are so fixated in an opinion and are so bound and blinded by it that even when presented with solid evidence to the contrary, they still continue on their path.

Never find a diagnosis like that

• Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Did you correct your statement yet?
    Here's a sample of the people who protested around the country today -

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1101/656310-water-protest/

You did the people of Dundalk a disservice.

You are making yourself look even more foolish.
    You asked for an example(I wasn't even going to bother as I knew you'd just do your usual blather)and were given a fine example.

I feel sorry for people who are so fixated in an opinion and are so bound and blinded by it that even when presented with solid evidence to the contrary, they still continue on their path.

Never find a diagnosis like that

I didn't ask for an example of anything. What has a race segregation law in a non democratic country got to do with water legislation in Ireland? We are a representative democracy and our legislators are mandated by the people to enact law. Law which applies to all citizens, including those who do not agree with the legislation.

Who decides what is just? Consensus? Well that says we have a just law. Next.
    What was his opinion on property tax and water charges?
    And how do you distinguish between an unjust law and one you just don't agree with?

The majority decides what is just and unjust.
    I would have thought that was fairly obvious.

Also @dx....it wasn't you that asked for an example so my apologies. I mistook you sneering at a great man for something of substance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

The majority that voted for parties supporting water charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

And on what basis have you determined that most think metered water is unjust (and seemingly akin to apartheid :rolleyes:)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

800,000 homes registered to pay. 150k protested.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

800,000 made contact with Irish Water,that didn't mean they registered to pay.This has been gone over before,it's not difficult so how can you not get to grips with the fact that making contact with IW doesn't equate to signing up with them.

• Advertisement

Also @dx....it wasn't you that asked for an example so my apologies. I mistook you sneering at a great man for something of substance

No problem. The only way to determine whether you are right about a majority is by referendum. But as you know the constitution does not allow referendums on financial matters. So you will have to accept the law as it stands and wait for a general election to see if a new government will be elected which will change the law. Democracy in action in it's proper sense, not some version which has to react to street protest.

The majority that voted for parties supporting water charges?

Oh jesus lol.
    Thats desperation for ya! Are you telling people now that IW was in action and was known about by the general public in 2011???????

G'way outta that :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

No problem. The only way to determine whether you are right about a majority is by referendum. But as you know the constitution does not allow referendums on financial matters. So you will have to accept the law as it stands and wait for a general election to see if a new government will be elected which will change the law. Democracy in action in it's proper sense, not some version which has to react to street protest.

Wrong. We had a general election with water charges on a number of mandates. These parties recieved over 50% of the popular vote. Case closed.

You don't know what will happen with the water charges but i believe that arrogance will bring FG down.

Thought you were bigger than that DX.
    Disappointed in you tbh.

And on what basis have you determined that most think metered water is unjust (and seemingly akin to apartheid :rolleyes:)?

I cant be bothered spoonfeeding people who are purposely being obtuse, it adds nothing to debate.
    Go back and read the post you have quoted above again.
    That was about LAWS being unjust.

Wrong. We had a general election with water charges on a number of mandates. These parties recieved over 50% of the popular vote. Case closed.

I think you meant to reply to Smidge.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

News quoting Enda now as saying charges here to stay, if removed tax would rise by 4% and budget cuts would be wiped out. I can't see it being stopped no matter how many marches take place.

I think you meant to reply to Smidge.

Jaysus, dont send him back near me! He'd do your head in :D:D

• Advertisement

I don't want income tax increased to fund water for non tax payers. Workers like me are already paying more than our share for all the non tax payers. And suffering much more in wage cuts than the non tax payers would pay for water.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement