Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,971 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

pc7 wrote: »
    News quoting Enda now as saying charges here to stay, if removed tax would rise by 4% and budget cuts would be wiped out. I can't see it being stopped no matter how many marches take place.

Time will tell.
    Many bigger protests to come.
    Met loads who never marched before and they are now in for the long term.
    The people are rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

News quoting Enda now as saying charges here to stay, if removed tax would rise by 4% and budget cuts would be wiped out. I can't see it being stopped no matter how many marches take place.

Good old Enda.
    Nailing his own coffin and he is so arrogant that he doesn't even see what he is doing.
    "Beat the people down with a stick and threat of taxes. That'll do it lads"

Other parties...

"Vote for us and we will get rid of that tax"

Enda you really are a numpty.

I don't want income tax increased to fund water for non tax payers. Workers like me are already paying more than our share for all the non tax payers. And suffering much more in wage cuts than the non tax payers would pay for water.

Whats that I hear you say DX????

You dont want to pay a tax????

Pot/Kettle/Black

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Smidge wrote: »
    Good old Enda.
    Nailing his own coffin and he is so arrogant that he doesn't even see what he is doing.
    "Beat the people down with a stick and threat of taxes. That'll do it lads"

Other parties...

"Vote for us and we will get rid of that tax"

Enda you really are a numpty.

Yeah, shame on him for not engaging in ruinous, populist economic policies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Time will tell.
    Many bigger protests to come.
    Met loads who never marched before and they are now in for the long term.
    The people are rising.

You could be right and as I said earlier in thread fair play to all involved. I firmly believe the charging will go ahead regardless sadly. On the plus side hopefully the protests will see IW sorted properly and the bonus, mismanagement etc will be fixed. After the bin, property tax protests all failing in the end I see this one ending the same way. The whole IW thing has been a cluster **** of epic proportions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Whatever about paying for water, paying for bonuses, for staff that are underperforming. :rolleyes:

I lost all confidence in IW when I read that. That's when I was on the side of the protestors.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't want income tax increased to fund water for non tax payers. Workers like me are already paying more than our share for all the non tax payers. And suffering much more in wage cuts than the non tax payers would pay for water.

Would you protest it if it were to happen? I'm guessing you'd still just bend over and take it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

He'll be booted out next election for sure....but like the last lost it won't really matter he'll leave with pockets bulging...the next crowd will do the exact same but worded differently....for this reason I have never voted for an election in my life and never intend to, I just get on with it content in the knowledge my input doesn't make a blind bit of difference, and so the world not worm turns

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Yeah, shame on him for not engaging in ruinous, populist economic policies.

Do you know what ruinous means?
    As in he is ruining his chances of re-election for himself and his cohorts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

I think you meant to reply to Smidge.

Makes no difference.

Same old,same old.

• Advertisement

You could be right and as I said earlier in thread fair play to all involved. I firmly believe the charging will go ahead regardless sadly. On the plus side hopefully the protests will see IW sorted properly and the bonus, mismanagement etc will be fixed. After the bin, property tax protests all failing in the end I see this one ending the same way. The whole IW thing has been a cluster **** of epic proportions.

There is something different about this one though.
    I have been on many marches but the mood of the people over this is different. Far angrier people and many new faces, ordinary working class people from all walks of life. Today i stood beside a granny, a butcher, a painter, a retired garda, traffic warden and a nurse, all neighbours. Never thought i'd see these people on protests, they are all family people and all will be on the next one in Dublin with their families.
    This is a movement now and it's not stopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

And even though he knows this, why do you think he is still going ahead with it?

Is it because he has no choice as the country has a massive debt that needs to be paid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The elderly man on the news there just said it all, Enda can tell you it's here to stay but if he keeps it up, he will be thrown out in 15 months time. The people are rallying to this, the opposition is entrenched and inexorable, and in reality we are already in the election cycle.

The Govt will now have to decide objectively whether they want to let this issue eclipse any other good work they have undertaken or cut their losses and dismantle the farce, because it has become a totem, and enough people will base their vote on Water and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,046 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Would you protest it if it were to happen? I'm guessing you'd still just bend over and take it :rolleyes:

I was on the PAYE marches. Which were a direct result of the 1977 decision to do away with property tax which incorporated service charges including water. I disagreed with that policy then and I still do. Those marches were in response to the then government increasing the tax rate to 60% trying to make up for the revenue lost from property tax. They forced the government into reducing income tax, so we finished up with completely underfunded local government and put the country into even deeper debt.

Yes, my words were perfectly chosen. SF topping a poll today. Enjoy your time with them.

yipeeeee wrote: »
    And even though he knows this, why do you think he is still going ahead with it?

Is it because he has no choice as the country has a massive debt that needs to be paid back.

There are other choices, including inflating our way out of it instead of more and more prohibitive austerity. You know that as well as Enda does

Ah he's great so he is *pat on head for Enda*
    The people are NOT buying this "Doing it for the good of the country" spiel anymore, or havent you noticed?

He'll still walk away with some very handsome pensions before he takes up another handsomely paid position like Cowan etc.

There is a choice,and always will be.
    If you want to see it.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There are other choices, including inflating our way out of it instead of more and more prohibitive austerity. You know that as well as Enda does

So leave the euro then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Well said Bull.

• Advertisement

Yes, my words were perfectly chosen. SF topping a poll today. Enjoy your time with them.

Forget about SF.

What is happening is that FG are on the decline, the PEOPLE are on the rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

gladrags wrote: »
    There is a choice,and always will be.

So, default then?

As I said earlier Enda needs to take a lesson out of Bertie's book. By adopting more popular policies and putting them into action. Like increasing the spend on old age pensions by 700%. That is what got Bertie elected three times and let him and Biffo rule for 14 years.

Enda. Listen to the people and give them loads of money. Otherwise you will be out on your ear.

So leave the euro then?

Yes.

Leave the comfort of your illusion.

As I said earlier Enda needs to take a lesson out of Bertie's book. By adopting more popular policies and putting them into action. Like increasing the spend on old age pensions by 700%. That is what got Bertie elected three times and let him and Biffo rule for 14 years.

Enda. Listen to the people and give them loads of money. Otherwise you will be out on your ear.

NOBODY is saying that dx and well you know it.
    What the people are saying is "We have no more money to give to keep people in quangos and bonuses and private gyms and cushy numbers"

And that goes for tax increases too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/farm-family-with-300000-in-the-bank-still-got-college-aid-30709231.html

Well he could start looking at taxing farmers:

A farm family with €300,000 in their bank account still managed to get a grant to send their child to college, according to revelations in a new book.
    Ruairi Quinn's former advisor has told how major flaws in the system meant families with substantial cash assets were still getting state aid. However, he says that attempts by Mr Quinn to change the grant system were shot down by Taoiseach Enda Kenny's officials during a "heated" debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

It's the same old story, politicians promise the sun, moon and the stars to get elected. A year or two later offer excuses as to why their they've broken their promises - in this case 'troika says' - 'economic circumstances have changed etc'. Then post mid term treat the electorate with utter contempt - 'look at them with their expensive phones'. Meanwhile schemes like the double Irish hardly make the media spotlight - remember the double Irish gives companies a soft ride, while Joe Soap is lashed out of it again with this water tax. Part of the problem which gave rise to our economic woes were the low Euro interest rates, so a case for debt write down existed, but our government didn't push it. Why should they when they have such a compliant electorate ? Ah sure Joe Soap will take up the slack.

Not any more - that's it - shove your meters up your a**e.

I can see chinks beginning to appear in the armour of the pro FG posters.
    I believe they are seeing the futility of IW at last.

NOBODY is saying that dx and well you know it.
    What the people are saying is "We have no more money to give to keep people in quangos and bonuses and private gyms and cushy numbers"

And that goes for tax increases too ;)

Stuff about gyms and bonuses is not a policy. Any self respecting private sector manager would get paid 10 times what a manager in IW does.

Anger is not a policy. What is their policy on funding the €1.77 billion investment planned by IW between now and 2016?

• Advertisement

So leave the euro then?

No, but we do have the moral high ground to gain some serious concessions (the Trichet letter next week will aid that)

I'm talking about growth to GDP to reduce the ratio and servicing burden. That can only be done through inflation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement